Dobie Gray - Out On The Floor

Middleman

Is it?...was that not a few years later?

HI yep you are right it's a 69 release, maybe 1970,

And I always thought it was a response from the copyright owners to try and US to all 4 BOOTLEGS that turned up over the end period of the WHEEL. to try and get at least something back, they failed unlike SELECTA DISC who made money on all the bootlegs, and then make another tidy amount, from the new copyright owners issuing it on Black Magic making the Demo copy along with Jimmy soul Clarke, worth picking up to-day, the Strange World of NORTHERN SOUL?

DAVE K

Social source share

Was it a different version on Thunderbird - I'm thinking it was the "Out Of Sight" soundtrack version. Might be wrong on that though.

Got the LP Out Of Sight on Decca if I remember right, has a slighlty different ending - probably about 2-3 secs longer than the Charger version. Was a tough LP to get at one time

Social source share

Dunno mate, not got my nerd spectacles on

Just found out it was a Top 50 hit here in Sep '75, reaching No. 42 (second record on the label to make the UK singles charts - "Papa Ooh Mow Mow" by The Sharonettes reached No. 26 in May that year).

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I've seen other things on Thunderbird...seems to be a budget reissue label of sorts?

Still, quite rare and the only way to get the tune on a US WD...looks cool!

:hatsoff2:

post-9555-0-71156100-1318338770_thumb.jp

Social source share

HI yep you are right it's a 69 release, maybe 1970,

And I always thought it was a response from the copyright owners to try and US to all 4 BOOTLEGS that turned up over the end period of the WHEEL. to try and get at least something back, they failed unlike SELECTA DISC who made money on all the bootlegs, and then make another tidy amount, from the new copyright owners issuing it on Black Magic making the Demo copy along with Jimmy soul Clarke, worth picking up to-day, the Strange World of NORTHERN SOUL?

DAVE K

The issue had a female version by Paula Roussell on the B side as I recall

TOTP

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL..Is it just me? I have always loved "Out ob the floor" However, it's Northern Soul credentials, are so ingrained in our Psyche, over the years we have in the main overlooked the 2 classics that he made, which at one time were a youth cult statement, in a similar way that the WHO's "my Generation!" & Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Whels "Breakout", the funder mental difference was, back in 1968/7 the other records had UK releases, In todays market the original issues of all the above, which include "the-In Crowd" LONDON, & "See you at the GO-GO" PYE INT, Especially if you have the DEMO's of them,

The B side of "Se you at the GO-GO" "Walk With LOVE" is a great tune in it's own right it's a jem, don't get me wrong, "out on the floor" is a true classic, but has lost it's rare soul tag in 2011 "See you at the GO-GO" i BELIEVE STILL HAS THE GREAT, TWISTED WHEEL SOUND TO IT!

:thumbup: DAVE

Social source share

And here's my old copy of the rarer, small-print label, which I sold for £20 last year (I've taken this long in posting it up because I forgot I had saved the scan!).

One thing I've only just noticed is that it has a "CH" serial number, as opposed to the conventional "CRG" number.

post-953-0-29193300-1318764673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Nope, for some reasons (why is that I still don't know for facts) some major companies and less major ones, didn't issue promos for some of their releases. As to Dobie Gray on Charger I know only of the 'in crowd', 'in Hollywood' & 'my babe' as promos but not of 'out on the floor'. Maybe doesn't exist.

Social source share

Hi Probably should know this but...... How rare is the original (charger?) issue of "out on the floor" and price? Cheers ATB

Steve

Steve , it's harder than most people think, the majority floating about are boots. As for price one went tonight on Ebay at £36.00.

This is an original :

post-4408-0-93607300-1413146426_thumb.jp

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Scorebydefault

Hi Millo, I understand what a matrix is but how do you tell the difference between a scorched and a stamped one?

i bought a copy for my Dad's 60th but think I'm being conned with a bootleg.

post-34922-0-97141800-1428055608_thumb.j

post-34922-0-18361100-1428055626_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest Scorebydefault

Original has matrix stamped CR 2049. Reissue has a scratched matrix.

Thanks Millo please see above post.

Original has matrix stamped CR 2049. Reissue has a scratched matrix.

Social source share

orig is on thunderbird,local first label

Sorry, Thunderbird is a re-issue. To answer the original question, find an ORIGINAL is quite tough almost all floating around the UK are boots. Best find one in the US expect to pay £15 - 20.00 for a decent copy. Good luck.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Hi Millo, I understand what a matrix is but how do you tell the difference between a scorched and a stamped one?

i bought a copy for my Dad's 60th but think I'm being conned with a bootleg.

Scratched matrix numbers  look like they have been hand written. Stamped look like they have been machine stamped i.e.all the same height.

Edited by Millo
Social source share

Guest Scorebydefault

Scratched matrix numbers  look like they have been hand written. Stamped look like they have been machine stamped i.e.all the same height.

Oh dear. I think mines a boot then. The numbers don't look like they align quite right. But they are all the same size.

post-34922-0-11293100-1428070511_thumb.j

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!