Is It Ever Acceptable To Play A Re- Edit Or Re- Production At A Night/ Nighter

Geeselad

Is it ever acceptablee to play a re- edit or re- production at a night/ nighter? Just say you had a fantastic acetate of master recording of some lost 6ts, or 7ts recording, but it just wasnt finished, it didnt have a bassline, drums, or needed an organ to fill out ther sound or maybe a terrible phyc guitar solo in the middle . Just say you had a working knowledge of music production, pro tools. ect. Would you use your skills to complete the track, cut it onto acetate and play it out? Obviously there are loads of variations on this theme, which I'm sure you'll identitfy!

Social source share

Got no issues with this meself.....along with pitching up and down.....

Wish I could do it myself...my first project would be to remove the god awful 'paper & comb' break @ 1.37 mins in on Rosco Gordon "As you walk away"........ :huh::ohmy: ....like to know who the fcuk thought that added owt extra to an already average record! :lol:

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Bit of a can or worms this - the example you describe above, no problems at all, with the caveat that its legal & any royalties etc are paid. This has been done with some releases of unissued material already & goes back some years on the NS Scene.

Something I do have a slight frustration with, is when someone takes a perfectly good - shall we say 7ts Rare Soul anthem, tweaks it a bit & then puts it out as a remix. You could argue that so long as its all legal, then at least the artists are getting some revenue back I spose, but to me it smacks of just one more way to make money out of the scene, from folk who want the kudos of playing the tune out, but either cant afford or cant be arsed to track one down - some of the people putting these out are very aware of this regardless of what might be said to the contrary.

Another way of doing this & making a bit of dosh, is to re edit recent popular Modern spins, that only exist on 12 or LP & do a 7 inch re edit, again, spose if its legal then at least the artists get something.

There are genuine people who have done the above for all the right reasons, to enhance the original in a sympathetic way & to draw attention to & promote the tracks/artists, others just see it as a money spinner.

Best Russ

Social source share

You dont even personaly need the pro tools to do this, just get some young wipper snapper to remix it for ya.....in thier bedroom.

Russ

You know what RUSS, it really is that easy - a good editing programme, chop the track up, add a new beat here and there, even cut in a new piano break if you want to...cut to disc and straight to carver and hey presto...it's just a good job the vast majority of people in our age group do not understand how to use music editing programmes or I am sure we would have seen a lot more of this type of thing going on in the last few years... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I would love to know how to do all that Rich, merely from an interest point of view, not to do anything for commercial consumption.....it would be brilliant just to mess with doncha think ?.

Bestv Russ

My best mate was a Rasta man called DEZ, he sadly died in January but he was a genius at all that and his son is too, they used to make their own tracks and remixes all the time and I was always sat there watching him do all this with all sorts of tracks from different music scenes...Yeah would love to have been able to do it myself but it was too much for me, plus he was always loading me with high class herb while I listened to their latest 'works' so I found it even harder to concentrate...but if I ever win the lottery I might well go and pay his son some dosh just to sit there re-mixing an album's worth of 70s faves just for my own pleasure, you know like tracks where there is just one brilliant little break and you wish you could hear it again etc...but I think this is probably digressing from the original question!.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Is it ever acceptablee to play a re- edit or re- production at a night/ nighter? Just say you had a fantastic acetate of master recording of some lost 6ts, or 7ts recording, but it just wasnt finished, it didnt have a bassline, drums, or needed an organ to fill out ther sound or maybe a terrible phyc guitar solo in the middle . Just say you had a working knowledge of music production, pro tools. ect. Would you use your skills to complete the track, cut it onto acetate and play it out? Obviously there are loads of variations on this theme, which I'm sure you'll identitfy!

Why would you want to, there's plenty of really great tunes out there, without re-editing and mixing anything.

If it wasn't finished off in the studio, there was probably a very good reason, because it wasn't good enough for release and public performance in the first place.

I agree with Russ, it's a can of worms and I doubt the artist would see a penny, not unless you are truthfully are going to do it under licence from the record company etc :g:

Cut it onto acetate and play it out :pirate:???? Sounds a bit like another thread on here :no:

Edited by Tony Foster
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Wish I could do it myself...my first project would be to remove the god awful 'paper & comb' break @ 1.37 mins in on Rosco Gordon "As you walk away"........ :huh::ohmy: ....like to know who the fcuk thought that added owt extra to an already average record! :lol:

you mentioned this to me but nothing could of prepared me :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Social source share

Why would you want to, there's plenty of really great tunes out there, without re-editing and mixing anything.

If it wasn't finished off in the studio, there was probably a very good reason, because it wasn't good enough for release and public performance in the first place.

I agree with Russ, it's a can of worms and I doubt the artist would see a penny, not unless you are truthfully are going to do it under licence from the record company etc :g:

Cut it onto acetate and play it out :pirate:???? Sounds a bit like another thread on here :no:

Lets put it another way Tony, what if your'e just offered, or hit upon this fantastic track on an authentic looking dub plate, you think its amazing, but discover its origin and its been doctored in someway or other.Do you continue to play it? shades of Ginger and the four vandals affair here, but surely to quote mr Gordy, its whats in the ................

Social source share

Its so bad it's hilarious......it cracks me up everytime I hear it, I even burst out laughing when I played the Youtube clip before posting :lol:

Can imagine some hobo walking in on the recording and pulling a piece of folded paper and comb out of his pocket...either that or a bic fcuk off bluebottle wanting his 10 seconds of recording fame....... :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Its so bad it's hilarious......it cracks me up everytime I hear it, I even burst out laughing when I played the Youtube clip before posting :lol:

Can imagine some hobo walking in on the recording and pulling a piece of folded paper and comb out of his pocket...either that or a bic fcuk off bluebottle wanting his 10 seconds of recording fame....... :D

If I ever get me shite together I'm going to cut a hip hop track based around a sample off the solo, it'd sell bucket loads, I'm suprised puff 'ken' Doddy aint on it already, stick KRS1 on top and wa- la.

Social source share

That is incredibly funny and for that reason the best part of the record!! :-)

Social source share

Lets put it another way Tony, what if your'e just offered, or hit upon this fantastic track on an authentic looking dub plate, you think its amazing, but discover its origin and its been doctored in someway or other.Do you continue to play it? shades of Ginger and the four vandals affair here, but surely to quote mr Gordy, its whats in the ................

Having had the privilege to read some of Berry Gordy's hand written notes on a demo, it surely is what's in the groove that counts and judging by his notes he really did look at the production from every angle and if it wasn't good enough he didn't put it out. Obviously there was quite a lot of unreleased Motown that should have been released, but if it had have been would it have made it commercially? That's another story.

I heard a radio interview with Ginger and the story behind the Four Vandals and I really didn't blame his actions towards a certain producer, enough said.

Like have said there are thousands of brilliant 45's why would you want to waste your time experimenting!

Social source share

I'm not so sure how acceptable the re-edits thing is to a traditional Northern audience. "Soul In The Sun" is more of a dubbed vocal rather than a re-edit so it's not a great example and was done without any authorisation from Cream records - the owners of Hi. But that's not unusual since 99% of all re-edits are unauthorised anyway.

Northern Soul has always been about short records so there's not a lot of reason to extend them really.

However, for the more mainstream 70's stuff there's every reason to re-edit them for today's audiences and in my experience a decent re-edit can totally revive a great tune and bring it to a completely new audience.

For those of you who are into it, I have the first Philadelphia International Re-Edits double CD (and vinyl) coming out in 5/6 weeks time, officially sanctioned by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff. This went through a torturous 8 month approval process and we had to lose Julien Love's brilliant re-edit of the Jackson's "Living Together" and Onur Engin's beautiful 8 minute re-edit of the Jackson's "Show You The Way To Go" due to clearance issues, both of which never had 12" mixes and both of which have become huge records again around the world. A shame. I can't even post the You Tube clips because they've been removed. Michael Jackson's estate is hyper active at the moment so no quick remedies here unfortunately. Maybe for Vol 2..........

In the meantime no complaints from me. Some of these re-edits have been crafted over years by people who know the records backwards and have superb skills.........

Philadelphia International: The Re-Edits – Track Listing

CD 1 Uptempo Good Time Philly

1) Satisfaction Guaranteed Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 7.22 Morning Star

2) Only The Strong Survive Billy Paul 8.19 J*Ski

3) Save A Place The Trammps 6.37 J*Ski

4) Free Love Jean Carn 7.04 Victor Rosado

5) Do It Anyway You Wanna People’s Choice 6.35 Keep Schtum

6) Life On Mars Dexter Wansel 5.35 DJ Mila

7) Mysteries Of The World MFSB 6.00 J*Ski

8) Ain’t No Stopping Us Now McFadden & Whitehead 7.30 Noodleman

9) Dance Turned Into Romance The Jones Girls 6.55 DJ Friction

10) Be For Real Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 7.43 Tim McAllister

11) Message In Our Music The O’Jays 9.16 Jimmy The Twin

CD2 Mellow Slinky Philly

1) If You Wanna Go Back Jean Carn 6.46 Morning Star

2) Darlin’ Darlin’ Baby The O’Jays 8.08 Deep&Disco Rework

3) You’re Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else The Jones Girls 8.36 Henry Greenwood

4) Strategy Archie Bell & The Drells 6.05 Touchsoul

5) Let The Dollar Circulate Billy Paul 6.41 scratchandsniff

6) Easy Money Dee Dee Sharp Gamble 6.56 Todd Terje

7) Was That All It Was Jean Carn 7.59 Morning Star

8) Nights Over Egypt The Jones Girls 6.59 Womack & TOT

9) Don’t Let Love Get You Down Archie Bell & The Drells 8.00 Ed Zone

10) Wake Up Everybody Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 9.31 Apt One

Plus, for anyone who prefers the more traditional remix, we have a 3CD Philadelphia International Tom Moulton project coming in January, where Tom finally gets to mix 14 PIR tracks that he never got his hands on first time around. A mouth watering prospect!

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I was just about to say google Ian Dewhirst and/or DJ Dimitri and you we ould get all you need to know about re-edits as well as a picture of a big grin probably!

I can't imagine why anyone would play any of these at a nighter, they are all about big sound systems and a dj who can play the system. They are suffering a bit overkill at the few modern do's I have been to, done well they can be a masterpiece, alla Mr Moulton, but they can also just be sloppy.

Some of the big house MAW/Todd Terry did some classics just to play out, but they got overdone in the House world, I suspect we are getting close to that situation with the soul stuff.

Anyone care for an Azuli Disco Mix......

Social source share

I was just about to say google Ian Dewhirst and/or DJ Dimitri and you we ould get all you need to know about re-edits as well as a picture of a big grin probably!

Not grinning at the moment Jocko. I have to get in a flu incubator every day just to get to work so suffering right now. Toothy grin should be back by the weekend touch wood..... :lol:

Social source share

Not grinning at the moment Jocko. I have to get in a flu incubator every day just to get to work so suffering right now. Toothy grin should be back by the weekend touch wood..... :lol:

Ouch!

Thats an interesting track list, some big numbers to take on. The Free Love track is one I always thought you could do really interesting things as its such a builder, breaks in that could be great. But equally its a huge challenge as it is one of the greatest Philly Dancers ever.

Have to be honest and say and would love to see some of the more spacey Philly things, like the Billy Paul track you have, and things like his East, in the hands of someone like DJ Spinna, who is a massive soul fan and always does interesting work.

However suspect me and a few other old heads would buy it, probably not pay its way.And probably not for this thread.

Apologies Geese, I suspect this is not really the discussion you were after.

Some of the tracks I feel are a bit too obvious Iain but generally sounds great and as usual I will buy it before I listen to it as it always feels better owning it! Will look forward to it

Social source share

Ouch!

Thats an interesting track list, some big numbers to take on. The Free Love track is one I always thought you could do really interesting things as its such a builder, breaks in that could be great. But equally its a huge challenge as it is one of the greatest Philly Dancers ever.

Have to be honest and say and would love to see some of the more spacey Philly things, like the Billy Paul track you have, and things like his East, in the hands of someone like DJ Spinna, who is a massive soul fan and always does interesting work.

However suspect me and a few other old heads would buy it, probably not pay its way.And probably not for this thread.

Apologies Geese, I suspect this is not really the discussion you were after.

Some of the tracks I feel are a bit too obvious Iain but generally sounds great and as usual I will buy it before I listen to it as it always feels better owning it! Will look forward to it

I think Morning Star (aka the veteran DJ Lary Sanders from San Francisco) is a genius when it comes to tasteful re-edits of the PIR stuff. He always seems to be musically bang on the money. I always wanted a 12" of "If You Wanna Go Back" and now I've got one!

Also Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff listened to this album in full and authrorised it's release so hey, if it's OK with them, then who are we to argue? :lol:

Social source share

Has to be about does the edit enhance the record , some of the people out there really do make a great twist on a tune , personally i like a lot of the disco and reggae re-edits , down to choice i guess , for me I like to be educated when I go out preferably by interesting cheap records that i can afford , those are my rules

Social source share

What about the Pilooski edits from a couple years ago, Beggin' and Send Him Back, I have them both and will play them with house and disco but not on 45 nights, however it'd be nice to see what SoulSourcers think of these tunes..

Social source share

:lol: ,sounds like he's playing on a duck caller.

Here's one that brings a smile to my face.Ok up till the piano break about 1.20 in.Bad pianist?,drunk pianist?,you decide.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

On a trip to the states 20 some odd years back, trawling through a vinyl mountain I found what I thought was a total winner.

I'm sure you know the score, thousands of records to go through, you tend to play the first 40 seconds and it goes on the yes pile or back with the rubbish. Well when I got home I couldn't wait to play it, but of course as I'm sure you've already worked out- it had a horrendous middle eight. For a few years I kept thinking " I must take that to a studio, get that horrible bit taken out and get it cut onto an emi".

I never got around to it, and honestly I think the 45 is still lurking somewhere in my collection, but the only time I remember the title is on the odd occasion when I see one for sale.

Now while I understand Tony's arguement that there's tons of great records to play so why bother, at the time I really thought this tune had the potential to be a proper popular big tune, so to anybody thinking of editing out a bad bit, dont do what I did, get it done - and let the dancefloor decide if its good or not

btw what was the album track that somebody chopped up and put on emidiscs in the 70's, wasn't it from a stereo sounds effects album, but it turned into a brilliant stomping inst.?

Social source share

I can't imagine why anyone would play any of these at a nighter, they are all about big sound systems and a dj who can play the system. They are suffering a bit overkill at the few modern do's I have been to, done well they can be a masterpiece, alla Mr Moulton, but they can also just be sloppy.

Some of the big house MAW/Todd Terry did some classics just to play out, but they got overdone in the House world, I suspect we are getting close to that situation with the soul stuff.

Not really the sort of thing I'm talking about my freind I was talking about track that are unknown os semi known that fro one reason or other havent quite got it, but could easily cut it with minor alterations, there are loads of other examples like the one Mace posted.

Social source share

Not really the sort of thing I'm talking about my freind I was talking about track that are unknown os semi known that fro one reason or other havent quite got it, but could easily cut it with minor alterations, there are loads of other examples like the one Mace posted.

What about the Pilooski edits from a couple years ago, Beggin' and Send Him Back, I have them both and will play them with house and disco but not on 45 nights, however it'd be nice to see what SoulSourcers think of these tunes..

any links?

Social source share

any links?

Mr K is the King when it comes to disco edits, he along with Moulton virtually invented them

Social source share

Guest wrighty

:lol: ,sounds like he's playing on a duck caller.

Here's one that brings a smile to my face.Ok up till the piano break about 1.20 in.Bad pianist?,drunk pianist?,you decide.

haha, excellent, brought les dawson to mind :lol:

Social source share

Beggin'

Send Him Back

I think Send Him Back is my preferred of the two and I may almost prefer it to the original mix..

thanks for that.

Surely "Footsee" by the Chosen Few was the first Northern Soul re-edit wasn't it? Didn't S.S. slow it down a tad and add the car horns?

Totally forgot about this Ian, thanks for the reminder.

Social source share

I'm not so sure how acceptable the re-edits thing is to a traditional Northern audience. "Soul In The Sun" is more of a dubbed vocal rather than a re-edit so it's not a great example and was done without any authorisation from Cream records - the owners of Hi. But that's not unusual since 99% of all re-edits are unauthorised anyway.

Northern Soul has always been about short records so there's not a lot of reason to extend them really.

However, for the more mainstream 70's stuff there's every reason to re-edit them for today's audiences and in my experience a decent re-edit can totally revive a great tune and bring it to a completely new audience.

For those of you who are into it, I have the first Philadelphia International Re-Edits double CD (and vinyl) coming out in 5/6 weeks time, officially sanctioned by Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff. This went through a torturous 8 month approval process and we had to lose Julien Love's brilliant re-edit of the Jackson's "Living Together" and Onur Engin's beautiful 8 minute re-edit of the Jackson's "Show You The Way To Go" due to clearance issues, both of which never had 12" mixes and both of which have become huge records again around the world. A shame. I can't even post the You Tube clips because they've been removed. Michael Jackson's estate is hyper active at the moment so no quick remedies here unfortunately. Maybe for Vol 2..........

In the meantime no complaints from me. Some of these re-edits have been crafted over years by people who know the records backwards and have superb skills.........

Philadelphia International: The Re-Edits – Track Listing

CD 1 Uptempo Good Time Philly

1) Satisfaction Guaranteed Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 7.22 Morning Star

2) Only The Strong Survive Billy Paul 8.19 J*Ski

3) Save A Place The Trammps 6.37 J*Ski

4) Free Love Jean Carn 7.04 Victor Rosado

5) Do It Anyway You Wanna People’s Choice 6.35 Keep Schtum

6) Life On Mars Dexter Wansel 5.35 DJ Mila

7) Mysteries Of The World MFSB 6.00 J*Ski

8) Ain’t No Stopping Us Now McFadden & Whitehead 7.30 Noodleman

9) Dance Turned Into Romance The Jones Girls 6.55 DJ Friction

10) Be For Real Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 7.43 Tim McAllister

11) Message In Our Music The O’Jays 9.16 Jimmy The Twin

CD2 Mellow Slinky Philly

1) If You Wanna Go Back Jean Carn 6.46 Morning Star

2) Darlin’ Darlin’ Baby The O’Jays 8.08 Deep&Disco Rework

3) You’re Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else The Jones Girls 8.36 Henry Greenwood

4) Strategy Archie Bell & The Drells 6.05 Touchsoul

5) Let The Dollar Circulate Billy Paul 6.41 scratchandsniff

6) Easy Money Dee Dee Sharp Gamble 6.56 Todd Terje

7) Was That All It Was Jean Carn 7.59 Morning Star

8) Nights Over Egypt The Jones Girls 6.59 Womack & TOT

9) Don’t Let Love Get You Down Archie Bell & The Drells 8.00 Ed Zone

10) Wake Up Everybody Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes 9.31 Apt One

Plus, for anyone who prefers the more traditional remix, we have a 3CD Philadelphia International Tom Moulton project coming in January, where Tom finally gets to mix 14 PIR tracks that he never got his hands on first time around. A mouth watering prospect!

Got to say that the Jean Carn re-edit is right at the top of the tree & features heavily on my current playlist (when people are daft enough to book me LOL) & must thank Ian for letting me have a copy a while back.

Now I owe you one Ian so the unreleased extended re-edit of Gloria Scott - A Case Of Too Much Lovemaking is on it's way to you.

Anyone else want's to hear it, well you'll just have to come & have a listen to me giving it a spin somewhere.

As for recommendations I'd suggest the Dimitri from Paris compilation album - Get Down With The Philly Sound double album & of course the recent Tom Moulton albums that Ian released for a starting point. Both as cheap as chips at amazon.

Social source share

Surely "Footsee" by the Chosen Few was the first Northern Soul re-edit wasn't it? Didn't S.S. slow it down a tad and add the car horns?

surely it was speeded up wasn't it, thought I could remember hearing the original and thinking how dirgy it was...

and the Sheffield Wednesday Cup Final Crowd was a genius bit of sampling wasn't it...dear, dear lol :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

If a professional producer cant get it right then what makes a Tom Moulton wannabee bedroom producer think he can ?

Mace said he'd like to edit out the comb and paper solo so as a bit fun i thought I'd do it for him. Now I've done it, I miss that cool solo :yes: I'll be deleting the clip from You Tube in a few days.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Probably LOL. The original is such a mess I can't really tell.......

listening to that now, I can't tell either, what a laugh though !And that guy playing the sax has got to be on gear, the notes he's blowing at the end would see him taking off! :D

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

If a professional producer cant get it right then what makes a Tom Moulton wannabee bedroom producer think he can ?

Plenty of genre's are based around bedroom productions, its how modern dance and particularly house music started, often non musicians have a fresh attitude to music that proffesionals lack, I find that a pretty snobish attitude really. Morales, knuckles, chemical bros, fat boy all started out as bedroom boys.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!