Run A Venue ? Do You Play Ovo?

Wiggyflat

Lots of talk on Soulsource about originals/Ovo/CD's and a proliferation of venues playing the music.Someone pointed out there was 92 venues last weekend alone.Do they all stick to the traditonal ethos of the scene in playing original records.I know people who have travelled miles to venues to find boots/CD's played.In know one lad who felt sorry for the organisers and gave the promoter his money back and told him to spend it on records.If you play ovo stick your nails to the mast.If you play r&b,funk,latin,northern,rare soul,ska reggae/whatever from originals post here.92 Venues Post On Soul Source.Let's see how many play original vinyl.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Ideal oportunity for those that don't see the point in OVO to be honest and upfront then we can make our own minds up.

Be good to see a response from some of the East Mids clubs.

Social source share

of course ovo it goes with out saying, but I have to tell you I aint amused when I find out that boots or reissues have been played at a venue I have been to,so I dont go back there,simples..and if I know the promoter, I bloody well tell em what I think as well, I have been asked in the past is it a real one ranting_1.gif or the classic, are they your records ffs frusty2.gif sorry to digress , but what a lot of punters ect dont realize , and I know some dont really care, just how much work ,time, money, effort , go into putting a collection to-gether, any one person can go out and buy a collection to dj with at any given point in time , I,m talking about a ready made DJ collection , that consists of boots and re-issues, scary or what.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Be good to see a response from some of the East Mids clubs.

Believe me Byrney, it aint just the East Mids..... Thankfully i dont run a club. this farce is like a 'mob' rallying together in the frankenstein movies.

Nottingham Soul Club is OVO, Cream Cracker is too! and so is the Grand Central in Skeg, probably many more

some of you lot need to get out more. Boots or not, i dare say the 'scene' will be dancing to classics long after some of you miserable bleeders have jacked!

Social source share

Believe me Byrney, it aint just the East Mids..... Thankfully i dont run a club. this farce is like a 'mob' rallying together in the frankenstein movies.

Nottingham Soul Club is OVO, Cream Cracker is too! and so is the Grand Central in Skeg, probably many more

some of you lot need to get out more. Boots or not, i dare say the 'scene' will be dancing to classics long after some of you miserable bleeders have jacked!

East Midlands. I wanted to know as I live there.

What farce - I just want to know as a punter what the real deal is, so I can make a choice. Promoters should have nothing to hide surely?

Don't know what those dancing to classics has to do withn this, but interesting that you think the 'scene' will be dancing to 'classics' when those (who I guess you mean those who prefer OVO?) have jacked, although given that many of those dancing to classics jacked for most of the 80s / 90s, I won't put too much faith in that statment :thumbsup:

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

I'm organising an event for November in a little club in my home town. It's not aimed at any particular group of people and certainly not a NS crowd. It's an excuse for some mates to DJ and some mates to party in a cool cellar bar. I'll be playing a mixture of soul, funk, reggae and library tunes. Amongst the originals will be some selections from KPM/De Wolfe reissue LPs, a couple of Jazzman 45s and maybe the odd track from a recent compilation of french soundtracks.

Should I be ashamed or should I have a good time?

Social source share

I'm organising an event for November in a little club in my home town. It's not aimed at any particular group of people and certainly not a NS crowd. It's an excuse for some mates to DJ and some mates to party in a cool cellar bar. I'll be playing a mixture of soul, funk, reggae and library tunes. Amongst the originals will be some selections from KPM/De Wolfe reissue LPs, a couple of Jazzman 45s and maybe the odd track from a recent compilation of french soundtracks.

Should I be ashamed or should I have a good time?

Youv'e answered your own question "not a NS crowd" .......Nice mix of music.One of the elements of Northern soul is about original vinyl records...other scenes/parties etc are not particularly bothered.Got a load of Dewolfe and KPM originals by the way...Jon Cameron-Afro Rock,the one with Delhi Discotheque on/Gainsbourg-Melody Nelson etc etc...

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

straight answer go go children bristol..was on that night in question i believe...originals ?...YES myself,john stapleton,ian mccree and guest trowbridge matt

dean

ps 'going to a happening' this friday grand atlantic weston supa mere...originals ?...YES myself,matt,pete french and guest ted massey

Social source share

Blimey - I'm more confused now Wiggy. :hypo:

Original post said " do you play r&b,funk,latin,northern,rare soul,ska reggae/whatever..." so didn't seem to be talking exclusively about NS nights. Also, what if some of my NS mates come to the night - how should they feel about the reissues? Yikes!

Ta for the compliment about the music mix, mind :)

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Also, what if some of my NS mates come to the night - how should they feel about the reissues? Yikes!

they should be totally ashamed, hang their heads low and never be seen to be speaking to you again....damn them all

frusty2.gif

Social source share

Yet another OVO/Boots thread, in which yet again, nobody can name (or at least chooses not to name) an event that plays boots. If any of those that are against the playing of boots, why not take a picture (I'm assuming most have mobile phones with cameras) of the records in question on the decks at the time? They can then just expose them on here. That way it will kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak. Not only will it provide proof, but also it might quell some of the unsubstantiated claims that get posted on here from promoters claiming their venues are OVO.

I can only speak for myself, but these endless topics about OVO and Boots have become somewhat tedious. :sleep3:

Edited by Supercorsa
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i did down the engineers arms...........................but then again i don't happen to have an original copy of frank wilson, so bloody what

Social source share

Blimey - I'm more confused now Wiggy. :hypo:

Original post said " do you play r&b,funk,latin,northern,rare soul,ska reggae/whatever..." so didn't seem to be talking exclusively about NS nights. Also, what if some of my NS mates come to the night - how should they feel about the reissues? Yikes!

Ta for the compliment about the music mix, mind :)

Well youve answered it truthfully. You are putting on a night playing reissues.Have a good time.Nobody who attends can be disappointed that youre not playing Johnny Harris on Warner Brothers Lp/45 or original Bruton/KPM/Dewolfe's.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Club Caliente - Peterborough

OVO only for main guests and residents (we do let our regular loyal punters who want to spin a few early doors may play the odd non ovo)

+ free entry its about the music and not the money!!

how many "NOT OVO" evenings are free of charge??? interesting question.................

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

OVO only for main guests and residents (we do let our regular loyal punters who want to spin a few early doors may play the odd non ovo)

how many "NOT OVO" evenings are free of charge??? interesting question.................

was gonna make the effort for the next one russ but dont think i can now you've said that :lol:

Social source share

Well youve answered it truthfully. You are putting on a night playing reissues.Have a good time.Nobody who attends can be disappointed that youre not playing Johnny Harris on Warner Brothers Lp/45 or original Bruton/KPM/Dewolfe's.

Ahem. I've got Johnny Harris on 45 US and UK (for Footprints rather than Lulu of course) and I've got the LP too. And I've got plenty of original library stuff but just not everything I want yet. Also I don't think anyone will truly care on that night. I'll ask someone else on here who will be playing some tunes on the night just to check of course.

Meanwhile my slightly tongue in cheek post seems to have taken on a surreal life of it's own though, where I can't tell who's joking and who's being serious. Maybe quite an apt metaphor for the whole debate...

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Ahem. I've got Johnny Harris on 45 US and UK (for Footprints rather than Lulu of course) and I've got the LP too. And I've got plenty of original library stuff but just not everything I want yet. Also I don't think anyone will truly care on that night. I'll ask someone else on here who will be playing some tunes on the night just to check of course.

Meanwhile my slightly tongue in cheek post seems to have taken on a surreal life of it's own though, where I can't tell who's joking and who's being serious. Maybe quite an apt metaphor for the whole debate...

So your answer is a mixture of originals and reissues.....next...

Social source share

i may be speaking out of turn here as its not my event and haven't been for some time but.....

Pete Lyster has an event in Brigwater that is strictly orig vinyl only ... and the passion the guy has plus the guests he has on plus the hospitality etc etc probably costs him more to put on than any profit he may make on the door

you are guarenteed to hear current biggies with an across the board policy that would please most i would guess.

one of the friendliest and warmest welcome i've recieved from events i've attended

think the next one is 22nd Oct ....its in the promotion headings on here ..... recommended for a cracking night out .......Ginger is in the line up

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

So your answer is a mixture of originals and reissues.....next...

I see your answers are becoming a bit more brusque and a bit less friendly. Hope it's nothing I've said as I don't intend to cause offence. Final question though: seems like you're suggesting that the NS rule re OVO (which, for what it's worth, I support in principle) actually extends to anyone playing vinyl of any kind at any kind of event.

How's that one gonna be policed then and who's volunteering?

Social source share

I see your answers are becoming a bit more brusque and a bit less friendly. Hope it's nothing I've said as I don't intend to cause offence. Final question though: seems like you're suggesting that the NS rule re OVO (which, for what it's worth, I support in principle) actually extends to anyone playing vinyl of any kind at any kind of event.

How's that one gonna be policed then and who's volunteering?

Apologies if I appear brusque..the thread is a very basic question.It's got nothing about being policed etc etc...just a simple name of venue and whether it is ovo or not and as some have answered the odd boot/some have answered ovo only.Any type of event that advertises on soulsource.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

dont want to play devils advocate but sometimes surely people doth protest too much......if you know you are doing right why do you need to ask or tell?

Social source share

Apologies if I appear brusque..the thread is a very basic question.It's got nothing about being policed etc etc...just a simple name of venue and whether it is ovo or not and as some have answered the odd boot/some have answered ovo only.Any type of event that advertises on soulsource.

dont want to play devils advocate but sometimes surely people doth protest too much......if you know you are doing right why do you need to ask or tell?

Debate's healthy though innit?

Cheers chaps :wave:

Social source share

although given that many of those dancing to classics jacked for most of the 80s / 90s, I won't put too much faith in that statment :thumbsup:

hi byrney have to agree if they loved the scene so much were where they oooh sorry there wasnt that many boots about in the 80's n 90's lol ovo forever :thumbsup: :thumbsup: atb steve

Social source share

What was your answer yes we play boots reissues or no we don't.I'm assuming you run Groovesville.? Simple question.

Social source share

i may be speaking out of turn here as its not my event and haven't been for some time but.....

Pete Lyster has an event in Brigwater that is strictly orig vinyl only ... and the passion the guy has plus the guests he has on plus the hospitality etc etc probably costs him more to put on than any profit he may make on the door

you are guarenteed to hear current biggies with an across the board policy that would please most i would guess.

one of the friendliest and warmest welcome i've recieved from events i've attended

think the next one is 22nd Oct ....its in the promotion headings on here ..... recommended for a cracking night out .......Ginger is in the line up

but then again, thinking about it ..... i would imagine that a lot on here who shout the loudest about events should be ovo or they would not attend would not even think about travelling down to this ... ironic really :yes:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

What was your answer yes we play boots reissues or no we don't.I'm assuming you run Groovesville.? Simple question.

on that note....and to be fair i have been almost praying for someone to ask i will leave the floor open on this one as i personally did not feel the need to ask our resident djs steve guarnori, molly and dr pickles or to be fair any of our gust djs including karl heard, andy dyson, ted massey, fred krol, marco santucci, pete hullat et al, need i go on?

know your djs......know what your getting! all anyone needs to know really

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

on that note....and to be fair i have been almost praying for someone to ask i will leave the floor open on this one as i personally did not feel the need to ask our resident djs steve guarnori, molly and dr pickles or to be fair any of our gust djs including karl heard, andy dyson, ted massey, fred krol, marco santucci, pete hullat et al, need i go on?

know your djs......know what your getting! all anyone needs to know really

oh yeah and mick h

Social source share