Run A Venue ? Do You Play Ovo?

Wiggyflat

on that note....and to be fair i have been almost praying for someone to ask i will leave the floor open on this one as i personally did not feel the need to ask our resident djs steve guarnori, molly and dr pickles or to be fair any of our gust djs including karl heard, andy dyson, ted massey, fred krol, marco santucci, pete hullat et al, need i go on?

know your djs......know what your getting! all anyone needs to know really

So thats no to bootlegs then.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

I Dont promote and wouldn't for all the tea in china but i could probably name a few places that dont toe the ovo line but cant be bothered similarly i'm not going to spend my entire night craining across the decks to see what every dj is playing... and after being called a soul nazi for even mentioning ovo event or trying to explain the ethos behind it i came to the conclusion it wasnt worth the bother

atb dave t

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

sorry sorry sorry

not getting the ovo bragging crap

surely thats just mostly (and should be how it is)

pick your djs with integrity otherwise settle in your niche

Social source share

Ghetto Soul in Southampton is the real deal in ovo and looking at the current poll, the next one there will be people queuing down the rd :)

they will be causing traffic jams all the way down the A34 & the M3 they will Tim :D

tunes from $0.25 upwards where the emphasis is on the music first and for most and yes it is defo OVO and only those that attend and get what its about get to dj and all those guests so far have dug deep and amazed us all, there is so much out there and if Ghetto Soul in its first year (4 nights so far) is anyhting to go by then the scene still has a lot more to discover and be heard by all and sundry and i for one cant wait its keeping me excited and hungry for more :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

yeah you could say that Wiggy :yes:

SORRY AND THE ONE AND ONLY.........

MR BEARSY

PAUL....YOU PLAYED AN ABSOLUTE BLINDER ON THE SAME BILL AS THE COUNTRIES BEST....STAND UP AND BE COUNTED (YOU ARE NUMBER ????)

SPEC DUE :g:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

MR BEARSY

PAUL....YOU PLAYED AN ABSOLUTE BLINDER ON THE SAME BILL AS THE COUNTRIES BEST....STAND UP AND BE COUNTED (YOU ARE NUMBER ????)

actually thinking about it was that ted massey asking you what that tune was?

Social source share

MR BEARSY

and what an honour is was to be asked to play a set amongst some of the worlds best collections and their djs for soulies that all share the same passion that was all on OVO :hatsoff2:

Groovesville is what the scene IMHO should be all about take a bow the 3 Omigos :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

always a pleasure never a chore dude, you weren't out of place as so many would have been

nerves aside you stepped up and rocked it

yay OVO warrior, no questions asked (or needed)

Social source share

actually thinking about it was that ted massey asking you what that tune was?

i cant remember to be honest i was on such a high enjoying meself too much but Ted & Spaghetti was up there on stage with me giving me moral support and i remember Spaghetti giving me the nickname "Bearsy Big Bolox" cos of some of me plays :lol:

brilliant night brilliant music brilliant atmosphere just how i like it :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

oh yeah....i forgot to mention john weston as a guest and dave abbott and steve csordas and rusty knickers and cliffe steele and so many more and more and more oh and steve calloway live pa..........................................god i'm boring myself now

Social source share

i know its off topic but these boots are for sale on here most days of the week :huh: :huh: :g:

:shhh: we're not allowed to mention that Diddy ..... or if we do it is strongly defended as its ok to sell them coz the bootleggers have already made money off them and the sellers on here are not making profit out of bootlegs ..........although i'm still trying to work that argument out myself :hypo:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I see your answers are becoming a bit more brusque and a bit less friendly. Hope it's nothing I've said as I don't intend to cause offence. Final

question though: seems like you're suggesting that the NS rule re OVO

(which, for what it's worth, I support in principle) actually extends to anyone playing vinyl of any kind at any kind of event.

How's that one gonna be policed then and who's volunteering?

POLICED???

Social source share

i may be speaking out of turn here as its not my event and haven't been for some time but.....

Pete Lyster has an event in Brigwater that is strictly orig vinyl only ... and the passion the guy has plus the guests he has on plus the hospitality etc etc probably costs him more to put on than any profit he may make on the door

you are guarenteed to hear current biggies with an across the board policy that would please most i would guess.

one of the friendliest and warmest welcome i've recieved from events i've attended

think the next one is 22nd Oct ....its in the promotion headings on here ..... recommended for a cracking night out .......Ginger is in the line up

Thats certainly correct Mike..I've played there in the past and thats their policy.Original Vinyl Only.Top man all round Mr Lyster.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i may be speaking out of turn here as its not my event and haven't been for some time but.....

Pete Lyster has an event in Brigwater that is strictly orig vinyl only ... and the passion the guy has plus the guests he has on plus the hospitality etc etc probably costs him more to put on than any profit he may make on the door

you are guarenteed to hear current biggies with an across the board policy that would please most i would guess.

one of the friendliest and warmest welcome i've recieved from events i've attended

think the next one is 22nd Oct ....its in the promotion headings on here ..... recommended for a cracking night out .......Ginger is in the line up

I am sure Bridgewater is a fantastic event, from what I have heard, but a great shame that the 'Brothers of Soul' will be making a one off appearance at Coventry that night and so many other events taking place...true legends of Soul Music, the guys who wrote 'I am nothing' and a one off UK appearance, I would have thought an unmissable event for serious Detroit Fans...kind of sums up the problem that we have nowadays with so many events...shit, why have I gone and posted this in the middle of another OVO debate?.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I run 'So Soulful 70's @ The Ley Inn' with Eddy Edmondson

We play 100% 70's & Crossover from the late 60's to the early 80's

All Guests (including ourselves of course!) are asked, if you haven't got it on original, then simply play summat else! Don't worry about the rarity, concentrate on the quality!

One of my other pet hates at Soul Nights (note - nights, not nighters) is hearing records more than once in that night! Again (on a different note BUT worth a thread on it's own i think?) we ask our guests that if you've already heard a particular record that night then try and play summat else in your set instead!

By doing this the wealth of records that get played ranges from £5 to £1000 BUT gives a fabulous variety for the dancers (oh yeah, that's the third request, cater for the dance floor!)

That's my twopennethworth for what it's worth

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Believe me Byrney, it aint just the East Mids..... Thankfully i dont run a club. this farce is like a 'mob' rallying together in the frankenstein movies.

Nottingham Soul Club is OVO, Cream Cracker is too! and so is the Grand Central in Skeg, probably many more

some of you lot need to get out more. Boots or not, i dare say the 'scene' will be dancing to classics long after some of you miserable bleeders have jacked!

and I'd like to know how, if you're 50 feet away from the decks, you can tell whether the guy is playing a boot or an original seeing as they sound the same.

Oh and if, let's just say for instance, one of the recognised TOP dj's play a boot, do they suddenly become persona non grata?

Believe me, I do know how passionately people feel about collecting originals but the aim of Northern Soul nights is primarily to get people to dance to the music being played - isn't it?

I know if I danced to one of my favourite records like say John & The Weirdest and it was played off a pressing, I'd just be happy to have heard it, I wouldn't have a hissy fit because it was on the wrong label. That would be just bizarre.

Social source share

One of last times I played any records out was In Yorkshire [for Boxy? somewhere] and guys were coming up to the decks. I just thought they were not keen on what I was playing and coming up to check whether by the law of averages I was going to play something decent next.

Now I know they thought I was playing boots and were just checking I feel a lot better.

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

aint we had this debate on here a few years ago ? i think it proved to be pointless because every venue in the uk claimed to play ovo there was some silly list on here with them all adding there club on to it . yet ive been to at least four of them and i knew for a fact there was boots being played but having said that i supose it did some good because 2 of them are nearly there now

Social source share

Check the playlists from heywood,none ever booted from £10 to £1000,all ovo ( knew youd be all over this T ) :yes:

There is another calculation possible.

Take away the ones that put the playlists up-with label info-

from those that don't ==

Salmon's doing nowt- I'll leave it to him :lol::P

Tony

Social source share

and I'd like to know how, if you're 50 feet away from the decks, you can tell whether the guy is playing a boot or an original seeing as they sound the same.

Oh and if, let's just say for instance, one of the recognised TOP dj's play a boot, do they suddenly become persona non grata?

Believe me, I do know how passionately people feel about collecting originals but the aim of Northern Soul nights is primarily to get people to dance to the music being played - isn't it?

I know if I danced to one of my favourite records like say John & The Weirdest and it was played off a pressing, I'd just be happy to have heard it, I wouldn't have a hissy fit because it was on the wrong label. That would be just bizarre.

Is this question for me or Parkash. If me - well the point of thread is so I can make an informed choice where I spend my readies so I'm not in the position to have to judge if its real or not from 50 feet. If Djs wanna play boots reissiues that's their choice, not going to fall out with them but it would be good if promoters are honest enough to let us know their policy eh? Why hide it?

Still a few from the East Mids missing here :wicked:

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Is this question for me or Parkash. If me - well the point of thread is so I can make an informed choice where I spend my readies so I'm not in the position to have to judge if its real or not from 50 feet. If Djs wanna play boots reissiues that's their choice, not going to fall out with them but it would be good if promoters are honest enough to let us know their policy eh? Why hide it?

There will be a few missing Byrney,only a couple of clubs have ever put labels to the playlists round these 'ere parts pardner.

But then again,that was called c*ck waving by some...you just can't win.....

Social source share

Just a general question really

Social source share

Ideal oportunity for those that don't see the point in OVO to be honest and upfront then we can make our own minds up.

Be good to see a response from some of the East Mids clubs.

Simply look on playlists Byrney . those who do will , those who don't dare not .

Doing an hour at Blackhearts niter and mine will be OVO northern or x/over which ever the punters want . .

I hold my hands up , as in the past I was straight on the case of boots , but tbh Byrney most of the clubs in EM's are finally coming round to the real deal .

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

have seen playlists........where a number of tunes have been listed.......that l knew the fella never had ....they were boots ,but listed with the proper label.........how dodgy is that!!

Social source share

i prefare not to list my records (but i do) i find it all a little sad like folks that write demo after the label ... also ive had one guy looking at one of my lists as i seen his name at the bottom of the page i rememberd he was on with me at the next wknd at another club . i asked the promotor on the night was i on first he said yes . with ten minuets to go promotor is back saying the guy has just asked to go on first .making some excuse he went on and then played 3quarters of the set i played the week before . dont ask me why i have no idear or maybe it was just that he had the same records anyway but i wasnt happy thats for sure

play lists prove nothing

best way to catch fakes out ......ask them where they got there records from !

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

Because like me you are going to pay respects to some soul legends, and that will probably be a once in a lifetime oppourtunity.

See you next week bud. :thumbup:

I am sure Bridgewater is a fantastic event, from what I have heard, but a great shame that the 'Brothers of Soul' will be making a one off appearance at Coventry that night and so many other events taking place...true legends of Soul Music, the guys who wrote 'I am nothing' and a one off UK appearance, I would have thought an unmissable event for serious Detroit Fans...kind of sums up the problem that we have nowadays with so many events...shit, why have I gone and posted this in the middle of another OVO debate?.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

At Crystal Palace Soul we only play original vinyl.

I can't think of any do's in London that don't play proper records as it goes.

Social source share

Please define "Original Vinyl Only"

Why?

Well, what if a record had a local issue in USA, then got picked up by a national label, and, also had a legitimate re release on the national label, or a subsidiary label, are these all "Original Vinyl" or only only the first local label?

Example, Ann Sexton "You've Been Gone Too Long" has 3 labels that I know of, so which one would meet the criteria?

Also, if a record was issued in the UK as 45 (due to demand) and was only available in US (or other country) as an LP track (e.g. Bobby Hutton "Lend a Hand"), the UK release is "original" as it was never released in its homeland, is it ok to play the 45 from UK as "OVO"? Same goes for the Champion etc.

Also, a legal re-issue of a big rare tune, is that allowed? e.g some of the Kent, Soul Brothers releases? e.g. this: https://www.rarenorth...ve-you/#product

Also, what about records that were never released on vynil and are only on CD as the vaults have been opened? e.g Kim Weston "Two Can Have A Party"

And what about records from other countries, is a record from Japan, Brazil, Turkey, Australia etc. are they allowed to be played as OVO?

My questions are raised, because making statements like OVO without qualifying the criterion for this is confusing. I am not asking about boots - a boot is a boot, but the examples above are genuine releases of a record where at some point hopefully the artist received something from its original sale.

Lastly, I am not trying to be smart a**e, but instead have raised the question as part of sensible discussion

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Please define "Original Vinyl Only"

Why?

Well, what if a record had a local issue in USA, then got picked up by a national label, and, also had a legitimate re release on the national label, or a subsidiary label, are these all "Original Vinyl" or only only the first local label?

Example, Ann Sexton "You've Been Gone Too Long" has 3 labels that I know of, so which one would meet the criteria?

Also, if a record was issued in the UK as 45 (due to demand) and was only available in US (or other country) as an LP track (e.g. Bobby Hutton "Lend a Hand"), the UK release is "original" as it was never released in its homeland, is it ok to play the 45 from UK as "OVO"? Same goes for the Champion etc.

Also, a legal re-issue of a big rare tune, is that allowed? e.g some of the Kent, Soul Brothers releases? e.g. this: https://www.rarenorth...ve-you/#product

Also, what about records that were never released on vynil and are only on CD as the vaults have been opened? e.g Kim Weston "Two Can Have A Party"

And what about records from other countries, is a record from Japan, Brazil, Turkey, Australia etc. are they allowed to be played as OVO?

My questions are raised, because making statements like OVO without qualifying the criterion for this is confusing. I am not asking about boots - a boot is a boot, but the examples above are genuine releases of a record where at some point hopefully the artist received something from its original sale.

Lastly, I am not trying to be smart a**e, but instead have raised the question as part of sensible discussion

as long as the record is made legally then surely its ok to play out, sometimes you get a record that has been legally re-issued for exapmle The Trannells and why not play that out its legit but there are Original releases of that and i have a copy but i would never dream of playing it out, it was only re-issued on the popularity of the Original so does that make it right, i dont know but i can only speak for me, it can get so nit picky and its down to the individual if they want to play a legit re-issue, the OVO for me really means "no illegal boots" if you knwo what i mean,

canadian, japanese, french, german, etc etc are all legit releases as demand in them areas were there and the record companies were just trying to make as much money as possible and why not so all them are ok imho, im jsut me and aint answering for everyone else,

but on one occasion i was about to play Will Collins & Will Power - Anything i can do, on the Italian Derby label when a dj said to me "you cant play that ive got the origianl on Bare Back, wtf, thats when it pisses me off :yes: still played it though :wicked:

Social source share