Run A Venue ? Do You Play Ovo?

Wiggyflat

Cant understand why this threads still running just going round and round in circles,some care some dont its that simple.Just read the dj line ups,should tell you everything you need to know about the venue.This sat there are 5 niters listed on ss,look at the lineups surely its there for all to see which are ovo only and which arent.Its not for anyone to lay the law down as to how and were people enjoy there soul,so why not just live and let live.Me ive read the line up of the club im attending,and based on that i will be supporting it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Cant understand why this threads still running just going round and round in circles,some care some dont its that simple.Just read the dj line ups,should tell you everything you need to know about the venue.This sat there are 5 niters listed on ss,look at the lineups surely its there for all to see which are ovo only and which arent.Its not for anyone to lay the law down as to how and were people enjoy there soul,so why not just live and let live.Me ive read the line up of the club im attending,and based on that i will be supporting it.

This really should be the bottom line for this topic.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev if i play a £200 record its my choice ,my integrity is stil in tact,if he plays a £ 5 boot i really dont care.i may be upset but i'm not gonna loose any sleep over it.if the guy before plays some of the records i have but plays of boots i'll just have to play something else i generally have 200 count box so they cant play everything..im not saying its right ,what i am saying is none of us will ever convince these people that what they are doing is in any way wrong.so we may as well acsept that it happens and just get on with it.

i never sought out a DJ spot or was ever that bothered if i did or didn't DJ I am first and foremost a collector though it nice to let other hear the records you like,but the only places i'm likeley to be asked to play at are the place where boots will be played thats the nature of the beast no point in worrying about it you just have to play the hand thats delt

all the best dave t

• Helpful 1
Social source share

SUPERCORSA said:

Whilst I'm having a rant, another issue I wish to take umbrage with. The stance some take with regards records on the Kent (Ace) label. It's ok to play say a 100 Club anniversary single of a previously unreleased track, but not ok to play a straight forward Kent release (for arguements sake - Melba Moores, Magic Touch). Yet Ady Croasdell has stated on this site that the 100 Club releases are in someway promotional copies and no dues are paid on them, yet dues are paid on the standard releases & CD's these help to promote (I apologise if I'm wrong on this point). So why should a dj who plays the Kent release (which they have bought new from a dealer) of say Tobi Lark, in which royalties are paid to the appropriate people (artist/writers/etc), be made out to be a phoney because he hasn't got an original piece of Topper vinyl spinning on the decks? Also many other great tracks released on the Kent label and royalties paid, yet I don't see too many on here willing to take pot-shots at Ady and others at ACE for undermining their scene with the re-issue of these records. No, because Ady (and others like him) have done great things for this scene, the magnificent Kent albums, 6T's allnighters and Cleethorpes weekenders to name, but 3.

....Fair point but most people who buy these releases get pleasure from playing them at home, it would indeed be interesting to hear ADY'S view on this, would he be ok with those records being played by DJ'S at his events?....The other thing is before everybody go's too far down 'Integrity Rd', whilst most of us love original vinyl, let's have a bit of honesty...This is not about Artists and paying dues, in fact the vast majority of DJ's in the UK and Europe have never kept records of the records they play in a public environment and the relevant royalties are in the main never paid whereas most CD jukeboxes etc have the relevanr chips built into software and the companies who own the licenses pay out yearly royalties to the music publishing industry...We are on a loose wicket as regards 'integriity' if we are only talking about the egos hurt when somebody plays a new Kent original before another DJ slams on a £200 quid original...And DON VARNER is far from being the only artist who did not react with joy when he learnt what type of sums his record was changing hands for...When I told FRANCES NERO her record was regularly listed at £125 a couple of years ago, she did not jump for joy either, at the end of the day, it's probably more than she was originally paid for the recording session...Now I have seen this subject raised before and people instantly dismiss it but there needs to be some ration applied here..Playing ovo may be preferable to most of us on here but it does not grant the purveyors some type of 'saintly' immunity from reality..... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

this is my very last post in these forums and then i will stick to sales/wants/artist & label of the week

I helped promote an all-nighter which was OVO ... two fantastic DJ's in the line-up; Dr Pickles and Pete Lyster ... two first class dj's.

all this b*ll*cks about "let us know so we can chose to go or not" is complete horsesh*t. How many of you that shout your mouths off about attending this kind of event bothered to get your arse in gear and attend it?

this was a fantastic night with top sounds being played right across the board. Although it was VERY well attended my guess would be that less than 2% of those commenting in this thread chose to come to it ....and I'm being very generous I think with that percentage.

OVO .... will I go ..... probably not but I like to shout as loud as I can about it...ffs

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this is my very last post in these forums and then i will stick to sales/wants/artist & label of the week

I helped promote an all-nighter which was OVO ... two fantastic DJ's in the line-up; Dr Pickles and Pete Lyster ... two first class dj's.

all this b*ll*cks about "let us know so we can chose to go or not" is complete horsesh*t. How many of you that shout your mouths off about attending this kind of event bothered to get your arse in gear and attend it?

this was a fantastic night with top sounds being played right across the board. Although it was VERY well attended my guess would be that less than 2% of those commenting in this thread chose to come to it ....and I'm being very generous I think with that percentage.

OVO .... will I go ..... probably not but I like to shout as loud as I can about it...ffs

where was this All nighter Mike and when ??

Social source share

Alleluyah!

Pete I dont look down my nose at punters who just love the music, and of course the music can be enjoyed on that level, but I'm no ted! and for my collecting is really about listening to fresh sounds, digging the crates, as those young beatsters would put it. I dont hear about hoards of download and CD collectors turning up new sounds on a regular basis. I think the real reason the OVO heads get down on pressings is that the oldies curcuit and its lack of respect for the real ethos represents the death of the scene. swap yer drainpipes for a pair of spencers anyone?

Social source share

Pete I dont look down my nose at punters who just love the music, and of course the music can be enjoyed on that level, but I'm no ted! and for my collecting is really about listening to fresh sounds, digging the crates, as those young beatsters would put it. I dont hear about hoards of download and CD collectors turning up new sounds on a regular basis. I think the real reason the OVO heads get down on pressings is that the oldies curcuit and its lack of respect for the real ethos represents the death of the scene. swap yer drainpipes for a pair of spencers anyone?

Haleluyah !!!

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah, when & where Mike....????

Best Russ

i may be wrong but that 'yeah' makes it sound like you dont believe me. i would not use those two names if i were lying. as i said, that was my last post but felt compelled to respond. anyone can look back through event listings and find it ... kinda like 'crate digging' :D:thumbsup:

i'm outa here :wave:

p.s. you weren't there Russ and you missed a blinding night ...we hired the Guildhall of all places :hatsoff2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JetzkCroGFk

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

i may be wrong but that 'yeah' makes it sound like you dont believe me. i would not use those two names if i were lying. as i said, that was my last post but felt compelled to respond. anyone can look back through event listings and find it ... kinda like 'crate digging' :D:thumbsup:

i'm outa here :wave:

p.s. you weren't there Russ and you missed a blinding night ...we hired the Guildhall of all places :hatsoff2:

Yes you are wrong, why would I call you a liar, just interested in when & where it was thats all, why the mystique ???

Russ

Social source share

You know what. qualities in a person that were once admired on this scene are turned around & your now made to look like a c*nt.......I'm about f*cked off with it to be honest.......makes ya feel like wrapping ya tits in & staying away until the handbaggers & wannabees disappear again & we get back to a real scene with genuine people who love & respect the music & the real traditon of NS. You lot just wont give in will ya....not aimed at anyone particular before folk start getting thier knickers in a twist..........

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

:hatsoff2: Hello to Ali the children who's Mummy & Daddy are in the 50% of we just want to go out and have a god night, and only moan at the cost of finding a baby sitter, in case the cheap one niks some of daddy's bootleg records, Don't forget Boys & Girls to tell them when you get a bit older, Granddad DAVE said, when you die, it would of been better to lEAVE SOME original rare records, than a pile of worthless Bootlegs, What kind of inheritance is that to leave? a real soul brother or sister would not have wasted my Sweet money and left us alone with a baby sitter while pretending to all-nighter goers, It was all a front for you to get stoned! "that's what Granddad Dave said!

Now close your eyes you tight fisted f**ker and thanks for nothing' GOOD NIGHT CHILDREN EVERY WHERE, GOOD NIGHT :g:

:thumbsup: DAVES AUTO EGO :huh:

To be honest I would prefer to leave my grandchildren a decent grasp of our wonderful language, complete with correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. More important methinks to little Tyrone and Tanisha than a collection of records they most likely will never care about, let alone play, one would have thought.

You get the idea, I lost interest after the first line.

2/10 SEE ME

Dave I was not aware you were dyslexic, my sincerest apologies. I was trying to point out that there are more important things in life than OVO/Boots etc.

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

To be honest I would prefer to leave my grandchildren a decent grasp of our wonderful language, complete with correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. More important methinks to little Tyrone and Tanisha than a collection of records they most likely will never care about, let alone play, one would have thought.

You get the idea, I lost interest after the first line.

2/10 SEE ME

I think you'll find Dave is Dyslexic :( .

Russ

Social source share

Well , if I'm correct (?), it was over 3 years ago, in Plymouth & wasnt an Allnighter.....lol.......not certain, but I could have even still have been living abroad too, so would have been pretty difficult to have been there....

Best Russ

woofing heel, Plymouth is a long way to go for a soul night no matter where you live :lol:

Social source share

Well , if I'm correct (?), it was over 3 years ago, in Plymouth & wasnt an Allnighter.....lol.......not certain, but I could have even still have been living abroad too, so would have been pretty difficult to have been there....

Best Russ

Russ, you seem to have singled yourself out to my orig post ... sorry mate but the world of soul does not revolve around you

does it matter when it was????? did the people who are posting on this thread only attend after the event i'm talking about???? or are you relating it to just you again?????

10pm through to 6am seems to be what a lot call nighters nowadays or is there some sort of rule on that one now?????

it was a fantastic night that was OVO which i thought would have raised more of a question as to 'why i helped promote an ovo event considering my other posts' ..... but like a lot are saying, if you are not in the little click of people on here then your posts are shot down or ripped apart by the back-slapping-crew

Social source share

woofing heel, Plymouth is a long way to go for a soul night no matter where you live :lol:

and this from a man who brags about travelling to get his 'real' fix of soul.....where is that, a 10 mile radius :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

and this from a man who brags about travelling to get his 'real' fix of soul.....where is that, a 10 mile radius :lol:

oh here we go again :rolleyes: Mike i have just looked through and could not find an allnighter you had anyhting to do with but just seen a soul night in your neck of the country with Pete Lyster and Dr Pickles djn at and that was last week and as Russ had posted that he thought it was a Soul Night i put 2 and 2 togehter and got it wrong, sorry never been a great crate digger, now can you reply to me why the sly digs about me being a 10 mile radius soulie please,

you are shouting your mouth off insulting everyone on this thread cos they never attended your soul nighter cos they prefer OVO, sorry i never attended i was probably at a soul night only a few miles from my home :hatsoff2:

your sounding like a spoilt little boy that keeps getting ignored and resulting to insults, shame cos you used to come accross as a nice fella but lately all you seem to be doing is looking for arguments and when you get what you want your dummy hits the floor within minutes,

maybe see you in Southampton sometime it aint that far :hatsoff2:

Social source share

oh here we go again :rolleyes: Mike i have just looked through and could not find an allnighter you had anyhting to do with but just seen a soul night in your neck of the country with Pete Lyster and Dr Pickles djn at and that was last week and as Russ had posted that he thought it was a Soul Night i put 2 and 2 togehter and got it wrong, sorry never been a great crate digger, now can you reply to me why the sly digs about me being a 10 mile radius soulie please,

you are shouting your mouth off insulting everyone on this thread cos they never attended your soul nighter cos they prefer OVO, sorry i never attended i was probably at a soul night only a few miles from my home :hatsoff2:

your sounding like a spoilt little boy that keeps getting ignored and resulting to insults, shame cos you used to come accross as a nice fella but lately all you seem to be doing is looking for arguments and when you get what you want your dummy hits the floor within minutes,

maybe see you in Southampton sometime it aint that far :hatsoff2:

read again Paul ... it was OVO

read my posts again and you will see its not about coz they never attended .... we had over 200 in on the night .... its about people saying they pick where they go and where they dont go because of boots/OVO ..... when truth is, travelling to an ovo event isnt always the way people pick there events, by your own admission you attend nights where boots are played :rolleyes:

byeeee :wave:

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

read again Mike i never said it wasnt :wave: oh and 3 years ago i was living in Kent, probabaly travelling to either London, yorkshire, Manchester, Rugby, Sout coast or just about anywhere that took my fancy any given weekend for my soul fix, but hey you wouldnt know that would you Mike cos you never go anywhere wether its OVO or OBO unless you get a chance to dj no doubt :lol:

ps, ive just found this on the floor, it kind of looks like it has a rubber teat a bit of round plastic and a little handle on it :huh: pm me your address and i will post it back to you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

read again Mike i never said it wasnt :wave: oh and 3 years ago i was living in Kent, probabaly travelling to either London, yorkshire, Manchester, Rugby, Sout coast or just about anywhere that took my fancy any given weekend for my soul fix, but hey you wouldnt know that would you Mike cos you never go anywhere wether its OVO or OBO unless you get a chance to dj no doubt :lol:

ps, ive just found this on the floor, it kind of looks like it has a rubber teat a bit of round plastic and a little handle on it :huh: pm me your address and i will post it back to you :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wave:

....and i have no doubt Mike will step in at this point and ask you to drop the negative aspects of your posts :thumbsup:

Social source share

read my posts again and you will see its not about coz they never attended .... we had over 200 in on the night .... its about people saying they pick where they go and where they dont go because of boots/OVO ..... when truth is, travelling to an ovo event isnt always the way people pick there events, by your own admission you attend nights where boots are played :rolleyes:

oh so you put a night on thats OVO cos of that everyone on here that prefers OVO should of been there and cos they didnt they are all full of horsedoodoo and clicky and just big mouths :thumbsup:

yep i have and will again attend a soul night where Boots are played and the reasons being i ahve already explained, so what, whats you point on that :g:

you keep saying Bye :wave: but keep coming back :lol::wave:

Social source share

....and i have no doubt Mike will step in at this point and ask you to drop the negative aspects of your posts :thumbsup:

Mike Mike please tell Bearsy off too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i really hope you find your other dumdum soon you will be stamping your feet next :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

i think i travelled to a cpl of nights in plymouth...long drive but well worth it...went with matt from trowbridge

just watched the you tube mr cook...looks like it was an excellent night

atb moldie

Social source share

temp closing this till mod chalky is about

have to say getting fed up of the same old faces posting confrontational posts

and then in the follow on heated discussion start gobbing off with sly digs about the site and other members

if not enjoying soul source then just take a walk

stop spoiling other members enjoyment of this place

• Helpful 1
Social source share