Poll: Your Night Out

Chalky

Your Night Out  

1. 1. Do you care whether the DJ plays originals or bootlegs?

• Original vinyl only
    • Don't care
  2. 2. Do you care about the music on your night out?

• Happy to hear the same records on a regular basis....the top 500 as they are known.
    • Want to hear new discoveries, unknowns, lesser knowns, underplayed and forgotten along with quality classics.
    • Don't care
    • A mixture of oldies and newies/lesser played
  3. 3. Would you happily pay the entrance fee knowing full well a DJ will be playing bootlegs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but would prefer to hear originals

So are you suggesting the people who buy boots actually have a punt at the rare records on ebay ,only to find out they are forever being out bid ?

They then console themselves by splashing out on a boot of a big rare original .lol

Nice theory but i somehow don't think so .

exactly, there not bidding on them so they cant be pushing the price up if anything by buying boots they are bringing the values down aint they :huh:

i always thought it was those that chase the holy grail are the ones driving the prices up and what always gets me is when someone says to me, £250 :ohmy: you could of bought this boot for a fiver :facepalm: yeah to many it all sounds the same but then i feel theyjust dont get it frusty2.gif or dont i get :g::lol:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

exactly, there not bidding on them so they cant be pushing the price up if anything by buying boots they are bringing the values down aint they :huh:

i always thought it was those that chase the holy grail are the ones driving the prices up and what always gets me is when someone says to me, £250 :ohmy: you could of bought this boot for a fiver :facepalm: yeah to many it all sounds the same but then i feel theyjust dont get it frusty2.gif or dont i get :g::lol:

the only people pushing the price up are the people that give a toss...surely

Social source share

So are you suggesting the people who buy boots actually have a punt at the rare records on ebay ,only to find out they are forever being out bid ?

They then console themselves by splashing out on a boot of a big rare original .lol

no, i wasn't suggesting that at all.

Social source share

Spot of devil's avocado here: the trouble with polls like these is that they play to the agenda of those setting the questions. For example (and I'm not suggesting this is perfect) the options for first question could have gone something like:

Do you care whether the DJ plays originals or bootlegs?

Prefer original vinyl only

Prefer original vinyl but it's not life or death

Don't mind a mix as long as the music moves me

Really don't care either way

Strongly feel it's not important

Or maybe re-word the question so that you can answer like more general opinion polls

Strongly agree

Mostly agree

Neutral

Mostly disagree

Strongly disagree

in view of the poll that Carms suggested i think there ought be another option that says 'do you ever dj'. it seems to me that the majority of people that comment on these threads are those that DJ .... Carms was suggesting a poll for those who are punters (dancers). Although DJ's attend events as dancers too, i would be more interested if they left the voting to those who dont DJ at all .......

Social source share

agree with nev i dont think there would be more people spending big money on originals pushing the price up,think they would either buy cheaper more unknown originals ,which would be a good thing,or probably keep to cds

as far as the poll goes...interesting bit of fun maybe but not a 100% representation of the uk northern scene as soul source is 'mainly' made up of original collectors,whether djs or not...most people i know who either dont collect vinyl or buy boots dont go on soul source...they think we are all soul snobs..cant think where they get that idea from !! :ohmy::)

dean

Social source share

agree with nev i dont think there would be more people spending big money on originals pushing the price up,think they would either buy cheaper more unknown originals ,which would be a good thing,or probably keep to cds

as far as the poll goes...interesting bit of fun maybe but not a 100% representation of the uk northern scene as soul source is 'mainly' made up of original collectors,whether djs or not...most people i know who either dont collect vinyl or buy boots dont go on soul source...they think we are all soul snobs..cant think where they get that idea from !! :ohmy::)

dean

If it was there would surely have been a lot more votes cast. Soul source has 16000 members, so far less than 1% have voted, I think saying 'mainly' is slightly inaccurate? :g:

Social source share

If it was there would surely have been a lot more votes cast. Soul source has 16000 members, so far less than 1% have voted, I think saying 'mainly' is slightly inaccurate? :g:

polls on here should be looked at just a bit of enjoyment amongst members

last time looked about 800-1000+ individual members login weekly

some will go straight to sales/events and never see this and then there's some who wont vote for whatever reasons

if you are looking for a scientific study then you are always gonna be disapointed

its just members sharing their views

Social source share

some will go straight to sales/events and never see this and then there's some who wont vote for whatever reasons

if you are looking for a scientific study then you are always gonna be disapointed

Yeah I know that Mike, was just making the point that Soul Source isn't just collectors or DJ's it caters for everyone :thumbsup:

Social source share

Imho ,I took it that Chalky ,like a lot of us ,is fed up with people starting threads about "what do you think "blah blah blah! ,so decided to put a poll up just to put into some kind of perspective on what people actually do think.

Rather than ,having a post turn into a rant( The reason,they are started for)the poll should be an end to it .

However,we all know it won't :(

Social source share

Yeah I know that Mike, was just making the point that Soul Source isn't just collectors or DJ's it caters for everyone :thumbsup:

Winnie.....almost right,it caters for all people into soul ;)

But there are a lot of people who go to soul nights /weekenders who are into spending time with people their own age ,socializing,having a drink and a dance ....no different to people who get up and dance to a bit of motown at a party or go to a working men's club to watch a tribute "drifters "act.

Being familiar with soul doesn't make you a "northern soul"fan .

Not a problem to me by the way ,some of em are good friends of mine .

This for me is why we shouldn't be arguing the toss about O.V.O or even music policy .

You like what you like ,go where you like ,live and let live.

MY personal bug bear is when the people above turn up at a venue put on By people into soul ,and then start moaning to dj's and promoters when they don't know the records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Winnie.....almost right,it caters for all people into soul ;)

But there are a lot of people who go to soul nights /weekenders who are into spending time with people their own age ,socializing,having a drink and a dance ....no different to people who get up and dance to a bit of motown at a party or go to a working men's club to watch a tribute "drifters "act.

Being familiar with soul doesn't make you a "northern soul"fan .

Not a problem to me by the way ,some of em are good friends of mine .

This for me is why we shouldn't be arguing the toss about O.V.O or even music policy .

You like what you like ,go where you like ,live and let live.

MY personal bug bear is when the people above turn up at a venue put on By people into soul ,and then start moaning to dj's and promoters when they don't know the records.

I should clearly have been more genre specific when commenting on a soul site :D Pretty much agree with the rest of what you've said :thumbsup:

I don't go out anymore, but should that situation change, because of Soul Source I already know which places I'd go to (granted most of them would be 'go back to') so I'm always grateful to it for 'keeping me in the loop'. :thumbsup:

Social source share

An interesting poll Chalky. I went to a weekender recently where the lunchtime 'wakey-wakey' session was 100% Deep Soul on some seriously tasty labels, it definitely made me think about collecting Soul records in another light. As a collector/dancer, I very much welcome hearing 'new to me' records, and these days with smart phones, one can begin the loin tingleing quest on the spot! However, I also love to hear stuff that connects me with my teenage years, as with Mick H spinning The Del Reys and Kenny Smith, or Ady Lupton The Charades. It's still nostalgia I guess, but for me 'excusable' nostalgia because I perceive those records as 'acceptable oldies' as opposed to the kind of stuff I'd rather not hear (or are 'unacceptable oldies' simply a question taste?). Of course, for younger folk hearing those sounds for the first time, it's an entirely different situation. I'd say 70% new to me sounds, plus 30% 'acceptable to me oldies' is the ratio I'm looking for at Niters and Weekenders, but I recognise it's horses for courses and that we don't all have the same 'needs' music wise. The OVO factor would also be non-negotiable for me...

Social source share

Personally I would find this vote much more interesting if it were on the front page of the site and open to anyone that visits the site regardless of whether they are a member.

But I know that would be asking too much and that it is not achievable , plus it would appear to me that it really isn't a concern to most.

I myself was interested in the general publics vote you see , I knew we would reach the conclusion we have reached as it stands because in the main the greater percentage thathave voted collect dj or promote , but the other statistic was the one that i am really unsure about and would have liked to have seen.

thanks to all concerned that have voted

Social source share

Guest hurryup

I don't care whether boots, CDs or whatever are played. If I request a tune, I'd rather hear it, than not, so if the dj hasn't got ovo, then a cd will do. There's too much snobbery about ovo and IMO it comes from those who have paid a lot of money for a certain tunes. Who cares and who can honestly tell the difference??

What I don't like is - when I "pay" to hear a "top" dj and they end up playing to the floor, I feel like asking for a refund :P

Social source share

maybe i should have posted the majority of regular posters in my opinion are original collectors.....which would be the 1% you mention....i know lots of people who are members but hardly ever post..mainly because although they love northern with a passion and are out every week they dont really care what format it is and dont wanna get dragged into arguements because of their opinions ...there are then those dealers and big djs who very rarely post (unless about an event or sales)but are members and im sure read it most days....

dean

Social source share

I myself was interested in the general publics vote you see , I knew we would reach the conclusion we have reached as it stands because in the main the greater percentage thathave voted collect dj or promote , but the other statistic was the one that i am really unsure about and would have liked to have seen.

thanks to all concerned that have voted

You wanted a poll as to whether people want to hear boots or originals, thats what you got. How do you come to the conclusion that the majority of voters are either collector, DJ's or promoters? 139 members have voted so far and know one knows whether they are simply dancers or take a more active roll in the scene.

Social source share

I don't know because you failed to incorporate that in your poll , which I see you have amended once already as you had incorporated questions that we did not ask in the original thread.

Anyway I know when I am beat Chalks , and I am not going to tear your poll apart or argue the toss with you , but its a bit like having a generel election and asking only the tory party to vote ... I must have missunderstood what your polling standards /rules are

I assumed anyone and everyone could vote not just active members.... I assumed too much

Social source share

I don't know because you failed to incorporate that in your poll , which I see you have amended once already as you had incorporated questions that we did not ask in the original thread.

Anyway I know when I am beat Chalks , and I am not going to tear your poll apart or argue the toss with you , but its a bit like having a generel election and asking only the tory party to vote ... I must have missunderstood what your polling standards /rules are

I assumed anyone and everyone could vote not just active members.... I assumed too much

I could add are you a promoter, dj collector or none of the above if thats is what you want?

As far as I know anyone can vote. I would have thought that the vast majority who read SS are members, there are 16000 after all.

Social source share

Imho ,I took it that Chalky ,like a lot of us ,is fed up with people starting threads about "what do you think "blah blah blah! ,so decided to put a poll up just to put into some kind of perspective on what people actually do think.

Rather than ,having a post turn into a rant( The reason,they are started for)the poll should be an end to it .

However,we all know it won't :(

I doubt it will put an end to the boot vs original topics but hey ho life goes on.

Members have the choice whether to read the topics or not and it amazes me why some go and read them then complain. I have to read them regardless or as much as possible.

Social source share

so far 155 votes wether people care or not about boots being played and 21.94% of the voters dont care,thats 1 in 5 members of a Rare and Northern Soul online affair website which just happens to be thee biggest and best Soul related website in the universe, mmmmm i find that interesting, is there really a difference between a Rare Soul fan & a Northern Soul fan and have any Rare Soul fans said that they dont care if boots are played, if none have then are the voters of the dont care vote Northern Soul fans, me i am a lover of both but then i think they are one of the same anyway, the good news ato me about the poll is that 1 in 5 have actually said they dont care when on most debates on SS there is probably only 1 in 50 that actually say it in writing if yoiu knwo what i mean, blimey im in a statsitical (wow what a word for me ) mood this morning :lol:

hope peeps understand what im trying to say and its coming across as curiosity and not an attack on non carers of playing boots :thumbsup: or shall i just get back to work and shut the fool up :lol:

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Well Im not voting.

How can I put this?

When I read on related OVO threads that a venue is such and yet I come across the promoter's auctions of boots on Ebay my cynicism kicks in.

Beams/motes kinda thing.

ROD

Oh Rod,

Far too cynical.

Perhaps they have had a Damascus moment are are selling to fund the purchase of Originals.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Well Im not voting.

How can I put this?

When I read on related OVO threads that a venue is such and yet I come across the promoter's auctions of boots on Ebay my cynicism kicks in.

Beams/motes kinda thing.

ROD

do as i say not as i do Rod :pirate:

Social source share

I wonder if any result of this poll would make promoters change their opinions about how they run their nights? I doubt it.

And I've been wondering why others think it is just collectors, DJ's or promoters that are voting....we have no idea who is voting really and have to assume it is a wide cross section of the scene, just like the membership of this site really...it's not all collectors, DJ's and promoters on here believe it or not.

I've also wondered why some think a collector, promoter or DJ's opinion isn't somehow valid? They pay their money like everyone else, they contribute just as much and in some cases more than your average punter so why shouldn't their vote count?

Social source share

I doubt if a poll result will change anyones mind as to how they feel on this subject Chalky , its something that is personal to the individual

The assumption that DJs collectors promoters have voted in the main is due to the poll being for SS members only, and even though there are many members on SS I personally would hazard a guess that most active members that post on a regualr basis fall into the mentioned catagories.

I could be wrong ..its just an opinion

I think Mike mentioned earlier many skip certain forums and just focus on the areas of the forum they have an interest in - Events /Sales because they arn't interested in the anal .......itical side of things :lol:

Everyones opinion is valid I haven't seen anyone say certain parties shouldnt vote ?

Social source share

I was at soulfusion back in May...Sean played the Del Larks, out on the floor I was lost in the moment.."does life get any better than this I thought" looking around at the packed floor & It sounded BRILLIANT !!

A few weeks later at an un named soul night the dj played the Del Larks (boot or re issue or what ever) yeah I tapped my foot even sang along a bit but for some reason It didn't come near that night in May .

Same tune except the feeling was totally different.

As someone said in a previous thread I wouldn't want to travel to Paris and see a print of the Mona Lisa.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

best way to deal with it if it bothers you is complain to the dj or promoter when it happens.......or come on here and out the said dj.........most pefer to moan rather than do something about it.........so if ya ain,t prepared to complain face ta face......don,t complain at all........because thats the only way something will get done atb tezza

Having said that a lot of folk couldn,t care less what scullduggery their favourite venue /dj/promoter gets up to ref the soul scene...........it,s all put aside with one fell comment "oh he,s alright"........well in my experience it,s the ones that smile and agree with every opinion no matter what are the ones who are all wrong and are the main protagonists in all this kinda stuff

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

also i must add that i do know of at least 3 events that dont mind djs playing the odd boot but wont say it out loud just incase it gets a bad name and peeps wont turn up which results in lesser numbers and for some poeple atmosphere and lets not forget the money, in my way of thinking that is so wrong in itself BECAUSE, the peeps they dont want to put off are the soul snobs that sit there stroking their chin all night talking matrix numbers and the very same people that come on here and do nothing but moan and whinge and whine and argue but prefer to call it debating who really only want that one simple thing when they go out to enjoy a night on our amazing scene and that is ORIGINAL VYNIL, yes they dont mind playing of boots but they dont want to shout it out so they just avoid it by saying nothing, is that right or is that wrong :g:

Social source share

You know It must be annoying if you are about to Dj and someone has played the unofficial copy before you go on , maybe the way to protest about this is to play your original , apologise to the audience/dancers that it's a repeat play , however its being played in its original format which will add to their experiece as it will have a better sound quality .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You know It must be annoying if you are about to Dj and someone has played the unofficial copy before you go on , maybe the way to protest about this is to play your original , apologise to the audience/dancers that it's a repeat play , however its being played in its original format which will add to their experiece as it will have a better sound quality .

It's happened countless times Carms. I remember once at Desborough some "DJ" playing a grapevine re-issue when the next DJ on had just spent a few thousand on a really rare record. Words were exchanged I can tell you.

Social source share

Poll result interesting so far, less than 10% happy to go out and don't mind paying to hear boots. The rest would prefer to hear originals. But just under 22% don't care what the format is they are listening/dancing to with over three quarters actually caring. Just 1 person wants to hear the same old same every week with the largest majority in favour of lesser known etc along side quality classics.

Wonder if any promoters will take notice of this?

Social source share

spot on Mike

Social source share

Poll result interesting so far, less than 10% happy to go out and don't mind paying to hear boots. The rest would prefer to hear originals. But just under 22% don't care what the format is they are listening/dancing to with over three quarters actually caring. Just 1 person wants to hear the same old same every week with the largest majority in favour of lesser known etc along side quality classics.

most promoters don't care what the DJ is playing.

Social source share

I don't care whether boots, CDs or whatever are played. If I request a tune, I'd rather hear it, than not, so if the dj hasn't got ovo, then a cd will do. There's too much snobbery about ovo and IMO it comes from those who have paid a lot of money for a certain tunes. Who cares and who can honestly tell the difference??

What I don't like is - when I "pay" to hear a "top" dj and they end up playing to the floor, I feel like asking for a refund :P

any one who collects originals and rare records will care and they can tell the difference 'so your 100% wrong.

not all original 45 are expensive, it does not have be big money to be good.

i for example collect originals only not all are big money 45's.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

vary well said NEV :thumbup:

Social source share

most promoters don't care what the DJ is playing.

Depends on the promoter,

I can name you a few who do insist on Originals. Mind you they are people who care about the music,and travel to other venues-even when they're not DJing -SHOCK HORROR .

Not just Ker-Ching Merchants.

atb

Tony

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Next one I go to where someone plays a boot Im gonna ask for Led Zeppelin- Brilliant!

Maybe ask for Pink Fairies as well -The official Bootleg :P

Now rumour has it that Led Zepplin's "Trampled Underfoot" was played at the Mecca as a new release, it sure has that 'groove' to it...

Social source share

Now rumour has it that Led Zepplin's "Trampled Underfoot" was played at the Mecca as a new release, it sure has that 'groove' to it...

Always been a zep fan, trampled was supposed to have been played

@ the mecca apparanlty, they also use a riff straight outa 'slipping around'

the track also has similarities in the lyrics of said art freeman track.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I must say, the promoter at my little soul night in Newark Smooth Soul Pete (Caveman) does care and now has a policy of all guest dj's and residents after 10.00 play OVO.

This does allow some local dj's to play their wares before 10.00 to cater for the 10%.

I think this bares out the poll and it does show that Promoters do take notice of this.

S&F

dekka

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

why would people want to return to nights where they think the music is shite and the DJ's lack imagination :huh: ..... surely that says more about them than the event?? just a thought :g:

We used to go to the same old venues month in month sat listening like ground hog day.Thats why we travel somevenues might be crap but at least its different crap.Still prefer ovo but it cant always be.A good dj has imagination and reads the floor.
Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

I doubt it will put an end to the boot vs original topics but hey ho life goes on.

Members have the choice whether to read the topics or not and it amazes me why some go and read them then complain. I have to read them regardless or as much as possible.

If you had a record in each hand the original in one and the boot in the other,which would you choose?
Social source share

just a question,?How can you hear originals!!!!!surely if you only hear a record you dont know whether it's an Original or a copy(so called Boot).so you would have to "See" the record. so if your only interested in "SEEING" Records to verify the authenticity of said tune your only interested in the Vinyl not the music.ipso facto a collector of vinyl/train spotter etc not a soul music fan.!!

dont know why i replied to this totaly banal topic ,had lap top on my knee scanning soul source.whilst watching

the football.

Edited by campagnolo 1
Social source share