Do You Ever Get Bored With Playing Your 45S, Collections ?

Russoul1

hi all, is it just me or the norm, sometimes i get bored of playing my 45s....

i know that theres a few that have sold collections in the past, was it though wanting better collections

or just needing the money, or just bored?

i think with myself that i am always wanting to better my collection even though i have most probably in other

peoples eyes, not a bad collection.

whats your thoughts on this, is it just me?

Social source share

I'm lucky in that I can move stuff back to the shelves and replace my homeplay box with another 200 and crack on for a month or so then do it again and again. I have in recent times however moved stuff on that I haven't played for 10/15 years and bought others that I've not had before. I wondered whether I'd miss the fact that some of my records were not on the shelves anymore but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't. The new ones I've brought in I probably wouldn't have bought if I hadn't moved some on so for me it worked.

I don't really want to continue spending 10,000s of pounds continually buying 45s that I never play so although it may not work for everybody it worked for me and has re invigorated my interest somewhat.

Hope this makes sense! :lol:

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Moore
Social source share

No mate. It's not just you. Unless I've had a few beers and want to hear my personal faves, I love looking through and playing other peoples records. Without fail you will always hear a few great records you did'nt know.

Can't beat it! Few scoops, lid off yer Mates' boxes and off you go! :thumbsup:

See you on 21st Mucker.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

No mate. It's not just you. Unless I've had a few beers and want to hear my personal faves, I love looking through and playing other peoples records. Without fail you will always hear a few great records you did'nt know.

very true mate, isnt it a bugger when you go around a mates house to spin a few and they allways seem to have better records

than yourself, but in reality there thinking the same about your collection lol

Social source share

no .... but i always want more ....and i miss refosoul to listen to ones posted in sales that i dont know ...... and then i go to youtube and get sidetracked by others on there ... then its off to ebay .....my god, i'm addicted!!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Hi russ

it's just like anything else sooner or later every one gets fed up with things. like you say you have to keep things fresh i myself have sold three huge collections over 30 odd years .the first two i let go because i wanted to change my musical direction i sold 2 oldies collections that people these days would have killed for ,everything from cecil washington to beverly ann 4000 singles in total went. i bought every big stafford record of the day plus a shed load of unknowns , mid 90's i sold all them to buy a house. i am now on my 4th collecton not as good as the last 3 but loads of nice ovo my moto is never sell mate you always regret it just keep things fresh try a few different bits of other gernes

atb steve c u on the 16th dec

Social source share

I'm lucky in that I can move stuff back to the shelves and replace my homeplay box with another 200 and crack on for a month or so then do it again. I have in recent times however moved stuff on that I haven't played for 10/15 years and bought others that I've not had before. I wondered whether I'd miss the fact that some of my records were not on the shelves anymore but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't. The new ones I've brought in I probably wouldn't have bought if I hadn't moved some on so for me it worked.

I don't really want to continue spending 10,000s of pounds continually buying 45s that I never play so although it may not work for everybody it worked for me and has re invigorated my interest somewhat.

Regards,

Dave

have been doing the same dave, been selling a few that i dont or havnt played for a while and just sitting there, eventhough i am a collector im not a hoarder of 45s have a nucalus of around 600 original lol 45s but still get bored!! even though im allways updating the collection

if you get my drift

Social source share

Hi russ

it's just like anything else sooner or later every one gets fed up with things. like you say you have to keep things fresh i myself have sold three huge collections over 30 odd years .the first two i let go because i wanted to change my musical direction i sold 2 oldies collections that people these days would have killed for ,everything from cecil washington to beverly ann 4000 singles in total went. i bought every big stafford record of the day plus a shed load of unknowns , mid 90's i sold all them to buy a house. i am now on my 4th collecton not as good as the last 3 but loads of nice ovo my moto is never sell mate you always regret it just keep things fresh try a few different bits of other gernes

atb steve c u on the 16th dec

totally understand what your saying steve, you know that im a 60s man though and though, going though stages of collecting the classics

from my childhood, getting into the latin stuff, then the rnb stuff, lesser played, funked edged, uptempo, mid tempo the list goes on!!

Social source share

I'm lucky in that I can move stuff back to the shelves and replace my homeplay box with another 200 and crack on for a month or so then do it again and again. I have in recent times however moved stuff on that I haven't played for 10/15 years and bought others that I've not had before. I wondered whether I'd miss the fact that some of my records were not on the shelves anymore but I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't. The new ones I've brought in I probably wouldn't have bought if I hadn't moved some on so for me it worked.

Regards,

Dave

Hi Dave. I rarely sell any records from my collection but sold my only copy of "who do you think you're fooling" by The Symphonic Four as I was bored with it. It's one that I'd had since the 80's and thought that another collector might just appreciate it more than me. Anyway, a few weeks after selling it I really started to miss it!! To make matters worse I started coming across references to it on line, with one website naming it as their "record of the day"!!!

So I'm now trying to get another copy!!!

Funny game isin't it?

Dave

Edited by Only Dreaming
Social source share

I still maintain a huge collection but simply don't have the available time to enjoy it anymore. For me to enjoy it, I need a dedicated few days where I can go through the shelves at leisure and remind myself of what's there without being bothered by anything or anyone, which simply doesn't happen these days.

I'm in the process of whittling it all down apart from a thousand or so that I'll be keeping. I started listing with UK 12"'s and albums over 3 years ago and I still haven't listed 'em all plus I keep buying stuff for some reason...... :lol:

I'll be starting on U.S. and U.K. 7"'s this year hopefully. My philosophy is that I'd rather pass 'em on to people who can use 'em rather than let 'em keep gathering dust on my shelves which is boring.

Also, I think age, circumstances, domestic conditions and other responsibilities have a huge bearing on whether you can spend the time to maintain a huge collection. Space is becoming a real issue these days too.

Plus, to manage a huge collection properly is almost a full-time occupation these days what with filing, maintainance, space, shelving etc, etc. And the dust mites are annoying too......

Ridiculous pastime! :lol:

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I still maintain a huge collection but simply don't have the available time to enjoy it anymore. For me to enjoy it, I need a dedicated few days where I can go through the shelves at leisure and remind myself of what's there without being bothered by anything or anyone, which simply doesn't happen these days.

I'm in the process of whittling it all down apart from a thousand or so that I'll be keeping. I started listing with UK 12"'s and albums over 3 years ago and I still haven't listed 'em all plus I keep buying stuff for some reason...... :lol:

I'll be starting on U.S. and U.K. 7"'s this year hopefully. My philosophy is that I'd rather pass 'em on to people who can use 'em rather than let 'em keep gathering dust on my shelves which is boring.

Also, I think age, circumstances, domestic conditions and other responsibilities have a huge bearing on whether you can spend the time to maintain a huge collection. Space is becoming a real issue these days too.

Plus, to manage a huge collection properly is almost a full-time occupation these days what with filing, maintainance, space, shelving etc, etc. And the dust mites are annoying too......

Ridiculous pastime! :lol:

if i can help you out of your dilema by taking some of those US 45s Ian ...... out of the kindness of my heart of course ..... please let me know

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

We have all got bored to a greater or lesser degree and sold tunes,I know I have. Saying that I dont think anyone could sell every record.

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Hiya Dave, we really need to sort out a night, as discussed, when me and Andy can come round and play yours! love to Julie x

Social source share

if i get bored of any of the tunes i have i generaly sell them on to fund my new wants but there are plenty of the tunes i own that i wont sell cos i just like them but dont listen to too often incase i get bored of them and then there are some tunes i never get bored of (hopefully)

i put all me tunes on CD so i can listen to them in me car or van when driving along and hopefully i buy enough over a couple of months to make a new CD to keep it fresh and for me thats a good way of weeding the good from the not so good,

wish i didnt have to sell anything though i wish i was rich :D

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

so that

if i get bored of any of the tunes i have i generaly sell them on to fund my new wants but there are plenty of the tunes i own that i wont sell cos i just like them but dont listen to too often incase i get bored of them and then there are some tunes i never get bored of (hopefully)

i put all me tunes on CD so i can listen to them in me car or van when driving along and hopefully i buy enough over a couple of months to make a new CD to keep it fresh and for me thats a good way of weeding the good from the not so good,

wish i didnt have to sell anything though i wish i was rich :D

so that weren't you that got the hundred mill then mate....shame

i was spending it in my head when they were on the news....bloody blues don't deserve it

Social source share

so that

so that weren't you that got the hundred mill then mate....shame

i was spending it in my head when they were on the news....bloody blues don't deserve it

no i even bought a tenners worth too Andy, im a broken man knowing that there is a Parliaments up for offers and i cant friggin afford it :( hope your well matey :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Never ever been bored of playing my music. I once figured out that to play it all back to back would take about 9 years of 8 hour days lol. Seriously, there's always a box full of stuff that I haven't played for years that I can pull out. The day boredom sets in is the day I'll consider my love of music is dead. Of course, the fact that new music still floats my boat is a major factor too. I still get excited by this week's new releases in the same way I did way back when. Current new favourite L.J.Reynolds version of "You sure love to ball" - brilliant!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never ever been bored of playing my music. I once figured out that to play it all back to back would take about 9 years of 8 hour days lol. Seriously, there's always a box full of stuff that I haven't played for years that I can pull out. The day boredom sets in is the day I'll consider my love of music is dead. Of course, the fact that new music still floats my boat is a major factor too. I still get excited by this week's new releases in the same way I did way back when. Current new favourite L.J.Reynolds version of "You sure love to ball" - brilliant!

Great reply Philly DaveG. Theres plenty to go at to stop getting bored IMO!

Social source share

I once figured out that to play it all back to back would take about 9 years of 8 hour days lol.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't help reaching for the calculator! :facepalm:

At an average of 4 minutes each that would be 394,470 songs.

Or 525,960 if they were 3 minute tracks.

Or 631,152 songs at two and a half minutes each.

And I'll bet I'm not alone in wanting to work that out :thumbup:

Social source share

I guess over the past ten years or so I've moved most of the big trophy records on not really DJ'ing anymore and various other reasons and circumstances I did not have the desire to carry on collecting the shall we say the bigger tunes, once you can get rid of the emotional attatchment to records it's easy to let them go, having said that I still love wheeling, dealing, swaping, trading, buying, selling, having a ball buying little bits and bobs that I can enjoy at home going very much down the classic 6t's route these days either picking things up that I let go or that passed me by way back, tons of nice quality bargain originals out there to go at, buying a lot of Motown, Gordy, Tamla, VIP, Soul, USA Atlantic etc. getting to the stage that I fancy getting out there again to play a few gigs lol, keeping the 45's to around a couple of thousand and having a ball.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i know for a fact (FACT) that i will never own mostly all of the records i would like to own, so i make it my thing to find tunes that i enjoy, and live in the hope that every now and then i might pick up a biggie and in the meantime make the most of every little bit i can

Social source share

Oh I'm not bored of playing music by any means. I'm bored of the pulling out and re-filing records all the time LOL. It's the physical labour part of maintaining a record collection that I don't have time for these days. I seem to spend most of my time staring into my laptop and listening on cans whilst reclining on the sofa if the truth's known which means that I don't have to spend several hours re-filing stuff like I've done for the last 40 odd years......

Listening to the L.J. Reynolds album as I type this in fact...... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Oh I'm not bored of playing music by any means. I'm bored of the pulling out and re-filing records all the time LOL. It's the physical labour part of maintaining a record collection that I don't have time for these days. I seem to spend most of my time staring into my laptop and listening on cans whilst reclining on the sofa if the truth's known which means that I don't have to spend several hours re-filing stuff like I've done for the last 40 odd years......

the offer still stands

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i am sitting here right now with cans on listening to every tune that comes up...missus gone to bed...i think this is the lot we have chosen......RESULT

Social source share

i know for a fact (FACT) that i will never own mostly all of the records i would like to own, so i make it my thing to find tunes that i enjoy, and live in the hope that every now and then i might pick up a biggie and in the meantime make the most of every little bit i can

That's you and me both (plus another coupla thousand) then :yes:

Tony

Social source share

i am sitting here right now with cans on listening to every tune that comes up...missus gone to bed...i think this is the lot we have chosen......RESULT

My record room is upstairs so no chance of letting loose up there at this time of night! That's why the lappy option suits me just fine these days.....

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I have been sent to the hallway...ha ha

this is my domain and i bloody love it

canned up, everyone gone to bed, tunes ringing in ny heed

Social source share

The days of my having a dedicated record room ended when my daughter was born and it became her bedroom. I also store my records out of harms way after coming home from work years ago to discover her using my (aptly named) copy of 'heartbreaker' as a teething ring. I'm still surprised at how easy she gripped the record due to it's large centre. Maybe the UK issue would have survived!! Anyway, nowadays my entire vinyl collection is ripped to my laptop as lossless audio files. I don't even burn them to cd as my stereo has a usb socket. To be honest, nearly all of the music I listen to is now through my Sanda clip as MP3 files as the only time I get to listen is on the way to/from work.

As for what I'm listening to at the moment? In the time it's taken me to type this its been; Gwen McCrae -Lead Me On, Gene Redding -This Heart, Jimmy Ricks -Oh! What a feeling, and currently it's "The Invitations -Look On The Good Side" . It just about makes the commute to work on the train bearable. ;-)

Best,

Dave

Edited by Only Dreaming
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I definitely get bored and when I do I sell the ones im bored with and buy new 45s, I hate seeing loads of records just Sat there wasting space I may as well let them work for me, keeps in interesting that way...

Social source share

I can't say I ever get bored of my records and I dj 2-4 times a week and do a 2hr radio show weekly. I do suffer from "I've got nothing to play" which really means I've not got anything new in the post.

I've sold tunes over the years to buy new ones but it's a fools errand as I always miss them, I've been known to spend ages looking for something thinking it's misfiled only to remember I've sold it on.

Social source share

I don't actually get bored with my main collection, but I find I need to sacrifice one every now and then in order to get another long-time want...sometimes money isn't the issue and vinyl against vinyl is required. Let someone else have some fun with them!

That said, I am also lucky enough to find great pieces regularly over here, so the 'addiction' of having something 'new', even if i've had it before and it goes directly into the sales section, is satisfied.

I think the advent of easy access to most tunes via MP3/YouTube etc has also affected what I keep...and I'm sure others as well?

So, if you fancy moving a few pieces around, feel free to PM me your trades list against any of these:

David Coleman - Drown My Heart - Barry WD

Harold Melvin - Get Out - Landa

Dean Courtney - I'll Always Need You - RCA WD NOW TRADED

Sons Of Moses - Soul Symphony - Soft

Master Four - Love From the Far East - Tayster WD

Vandellas - Show Me The Way - ARP Test Press E+

Gerri Diamond - Only You - Counterpart M-

Vernon Greene - Look At Me - Minit D E+

Lee Fields - Tyras Song - A&T E+

Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me - Red Coach WD M-

Honee Welch - So Completely - Lin E+

Embers - Crazy About You Baby - EEE E+

Wilson Love - Funny Money - NS E-

Eddie Holland - Outside Looking In -Motown E+

Roger Hatcher - Sweetest Girl... - Excello DJ M- NOW TRADED

Jimmy Armstrong - Mystery - Shrine M- NOW TRADED

Marva Josie - You Lied - Time WD E+

Lada Edmund Jr. - The Larue - Decca D M-

Willie Kendrick - Change Your Ways - RCA WD M- NOW TRADED

Tony Sams - A Thousand Miles Apart - Tishman D M- NOW TRADED

Curtis Lee - Is She In Your Town - Mira M- NOW TRADED

Rivieras - You Counterfeit Girl - Rileys M-

Monticellos - I Can't Wait... - Red Cap M-

Jimmey Soul Clark - I'll Be Your Champion - Soul Hawk WD E+

Royal Five - Say It To My Face - Tyler M-

Roy Roberts - You Move Me - House Of Fox M-

:thumbsup:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

hi all, is it just me or the norm, sometimes i get bored of playing my 45s....

i know that theres a few that have sold collections in the past, was it though wanting better collections

or just needing the money, or just bored?

i think with myself that i am always wanting to better my collection even though i have most probably in other

peoples eyes, not a bad collection.

whats your thoughts on this, is it just me?

NEVER MATE.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!