Stephanie Mckay, Vocal To Double Barrel Dave Ansal Collins

Guest giant

WENT TO LOCAL DO FEW WEEKS AGO, SEAN CHAPMAN WAS DJ ING.

HE PLAYED A RECORD BY STEPHANIE MCKAY-- TAKE ME OVER ,VOCAL TO DAVE ANS COLLINS--DOUBLE BARREL, THE DANCE FLOOR REACTION WAS FANTASTIC.

I HEARD THIS SONG FOR THE FIRST TIME AND THOUGHT YES NICE TUNE AND VERY SOULFUL.

JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE KNOWS THIS 45 AND WHAT THEY THINK.

IF YOU WANT TO LISTEN GO TO YOU TUBE, TYPE IN STEPHANIE MCKAY.

Social source share

few promo 45s sent out . realeasd on 12inch originaly lp track. 2oo6 was the year of realese.

i have just purchased the promo 45 it cost me fair bit as its very hard to find the 45 realesed date 2003.

i believe its been played on the northern scene from time to time.

Social source share

Get ur Doc Martins on and play Dave & Ansil Collins then moon stomp on down to my loft and buy some proper rare records

its about as Northern as Sponge Bob & Patrik Starfish singing Do the Jelly fish MY GOD Mr B you,ll be dancin around a handbag next

:yes::lol::glare:

very funny Ian :D

Social source share

i think it was originally a 12" ... i bought it as a new release some years ago

It was..I got it when first released too..2003..definitely not 2006 as an earlier poster suggested..I know for a fact because I was working for Fat City Records at the time and regularly played it out..one of my fave records to this day

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

It was..I got it when first released too..2003..definitely not 2006 as an earlier poster suggested..I know for a fact because I was working for Fat City Records at the time and regularly played it out..one of my fave records to this day

agree with you great tune

Social source share

Guest theoriginator56

2003 thanks for that dont time fly.

Social source share

I'm sure there's already a topic about this.

Double Barrel is one of THE all time classic reggae singles. This vocal is alright, nothing special.

But why would anyone play it at a Northern Soul venue?

You can't get more 'reggae' than the combination of producer Winston Riley and keyboard maestro Ansel Collins.

It's not soul.

Why does this get played, and does it mean anything goes? IF anything, you'd have thought it would be a rocksteady record that gets played seeing as those really are soulful recordings...but this one?

Just need someone to explain where it fits in. And this is from the person who was advocating playing some Jamaican music way way back.

I'm not slagging off this record, don't get me wrong - when refosoul comes back up, search for this and you'll find it was originally posted up several years ago - actually by me I think.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I've just listened to this on youtube and it sounds like someone is spinning two 45s on the decks and left the volume on both decks on - a sort of poor mix. I didn't listen for long as it seems just a cheap way of cashing in on an incredible record (Dave and Ansell Collins).

Nothing is new anymore is it?

Why would anyone play this on the NS scene?

I've listened to the live version now and that sounds a bit better (a bit less of a rip off) but playing it would justify those people at venues who insist on going up to the decks and saying "Have you got any northern mate?"

Edited by paultp
Social source share

I agree with PETE on this....an average vocal performance over one of the all-time great JA intsrumental cuts but what this has in common with Northern Soul, apart from being records made by black artists is beyond me....Different genre completely.... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Brought this issue up a while ago, tis a pile, no large pile, of steaming turd and absolutly nowt to do with the Northern scene. I could go on about so called oldies fans being so ready to dance to this, and other reggae tunes along with Mel Torme and and Chris Farlow stating 'it was played it the wheel!' like its a defence! These same oldies punters detest any northern they've not heard before and would run a mile from any dancefloor that played any authentic 6ts, black, record they'd not heard of.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

WTF?!! Why is anyone even defending playing it at a northern night?! A discussion about boots or OVO can cause ranting and raving over numerous pages almost every month, then people stop playing boots and start playing reggae?

I still haven't stopped shaking my head in disgust!

The words "time & place" spring to mind, and a northern night, be it upfront, oldies, modern, whatever, sure aint it!!

Double Barrel is one of the greatest reggae instrumental tracks of all time, (reminds me of the waltzers when the fair was in town) but it is what it is, and that's how it should stay...

(still shaking my head...)

Social source share

WTF?!! Why is anyone even defending playing it at a northern night?! A discussion about boots or OVO can cause ranting and raving over numerous pages almost every month, then people stop playing boots and start playing reggae?

The words "time & place" spring to mind, and a northern night, be it upfront, oldies, modern, whatever, sure aint it!!

Double Barrel is one of the greatest reggae instrumental tracks of all time, (reminds me of the waltzers when the fair was in town) but it is what it is, and that's how it should stay...

Paul and Rich, I may be being a bit pedantic but Double Barrel is not actually an instrumental, it's a DJ record. The B side, Double Barrel (version) is an instrumental though.

:lol:

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Paul and Rich, I may be being a bit pedantic but Double Barrel is not actually an instrumental, it's a DJ record. The B side, Double Barrel (version) is an instrumental though.

:lol:

You, pedantic? Never! :lol:

Social source share

The thing is, that if this record is supposedly acceptable at a Northern do, then what in this genre is not? I grew up with this music and used to haunt the blues and shebeenz of Southampton for years listening to it...It is great music in it's own environment and deserves full hearing inside it's own events etc...but if this cut is ok, then whats to stop supposed Northern DJ's from breaking into the whole, vast reggae catalogue and playing loads of other tunes of a similar style?...Only I would hope, the realisation that this is a totally different musical genre and nothing to do with what we have viewed as NS at all....There are already lots of scooterist do's and weekenders wherin such music is played alongside Northern, Motown and other 'club' genres and that to me is where this belongs...I do not want to go to a Soul do and hear a scooterist style playlist, if that were to happen it would be the end of it to me....But hey PETE, maybe it's me being pedantic... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

The thing is, that if this record is supposedly acceptable at a Northern do, then what in this genre is not? I grew up with this music and used to haunt the blues and shebeenz of Southampton for years listening to it...It is great music in it's own environment and deserves full hearing inside it's own events etc...but if this cut is ok, then whats to stop supposed Northern DJ's from breaking into the whole, vast reggae catalogue and playing loads of other tunes of a similar style?...Only I would hope, the realisation that this is a totally different musical genre and nothing to do with what we have viewed as NS at all....There are already lots of scooterist do's and weekenders wherin such music is played alongside Northern, Motown and other 'club' genres and that to me is where this belongs...I do not want to go to a Soul do and hear a scooterist style playlist, if that were to happen it would be the end of it to me....But hey PETE, maybe it's me being pedantic... :hatsoff2:

In what way are you being pedantic apart from using one of my buzzwords :lol:

you're spot on. Nobody has yet answered - why are you playing reggae records?

Social source share

i suppose what else is interesting is the way that the guy says 'the dancefloor reaction was fantastic'....well, that's no justification, I am sure we could all come up with a massive list of records that buzzed a dancefloor once but which now no self-respecting SOUL DJ would touch with the brush that cleans out PETE'S shed.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Am I being a bit thick here or are you all arguing with...erm....noone?

Has anyone even mentioned it's been played in a northern night on this thread? Because I can't see it?

The comments about the vocals being shite are f**king laughable to be fair..takes blinkered up to a totally new level of tone deaf f**kwittery

It may not be your cup of tea..but if you truly 'understand' good music..then you should be able to take a step back and see this record for what it is..

A f**king great tune

Social source share

Has anyone even mentioned it's been played in a northern night on this thread? Because I can't see it?

The comments about the vocals being shite are f**king laughable to be fair..takes blinkered up to a totally new level of tone deaf f**kwittery

It may not be your cup of tea..but if you truly 'understand' good music..then you should be able to take a step back and see this record for what it is..

A f**king great tune

In the first post you blind tw&t :thumbsup:

Social source share

A f**king great tune

you tell them Beeks. its good tune

Social source share

whether it's any good or not isn't the issue!

Thats correct. Most of us were saying it was good (though not a patch on Double Barrel) but want to know why it's being played at Northern do's when it's out and out reggae. That's all.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I've heard this played at a Northern do - the Metrodome in Barnsley to be exact, and it was by a female DJ - Sam Evans I think she's called?

Great record but wrong place, wrong time IMO - however, it was funny watching the Roxy Threads and Circle Skirts doing the slidey side to side dance to a uppy-downy record... a bit like watching a piece of film with with the wrong soundtrack.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've heard this played at a Northern do - the Metrodome in Barnsley to be exact, and it was by a female DJ - Sam Evans I think she's called?

Great record but wrong place, wrong time IMO - however, it was funny watching the Roxy Threads and Circle Skirts doing the slidey side to side dance to a uppy-downy record... a bit like watching a piece of film with with the wrong soundtrack.

There's only one way to dance to proper skinhead reggae...

Social source share

Have a word with goodangel on here.

He hack sawed half his thumb off last weekend.

Even with no damage I'm still a crap typist. :D

No mate I nearly cut my finger off while trying to cut a pork chop in half sideways while holding it with myleft hand. Hence s*t typing with one hand only LOL

Edited by Tabs
Social source share

A f**king great tune

'A f...cking great tune?,,,,Great, that's a big word...this is not a 'great' record, it's a reasonable reggae vocalisation over an already classic record...there are a lot of far 'greater' original reggae records than this, that's for sure but I am not suggesting a discussion of them... :hatsoff2: Oh well, could not resist it...MARCIA GRIFFITHS 'Sweet bitter love'....for example, no comparison, that';s what a proper 'great' reggae female record sounds like... :thumbsup:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

'A f...cking great tune?,,,,Great, that's a big word...this is not a 'great' record, it's a reasonable reggae vocalisation over an already classic record...there are a lot of far 'greater' original reggae records than this, that's for sure but I am not suggesting a discussion of them... :hatsoff2: Oh well, could not resist it...MARCIA GRIFFITHS 'Sweet bitter love'....for example, no comparison, that';s what a proper 'great' reggae female record sounds like... :thumbsup:

Massive hole in your argument there mate

SHE'S NOT A REGGAE SINGER

Have you had a listen?

Hardly Sister Nancy is it?!

McKay is more your Angie Stone/Terri Walker/Jill Scott type vocalist..and a respected one at that

Anyone who collaborates with Amp Fiddler is worth their salt..trust me

Social source share

Love it too, got one myself but never had the balls to play it out :)

after all the negative views i don't think iv;e got the balls to play it out either

Social source share

Massive hole in your argument there mate

SHE'S NOT A REGGAE SINGER

Have you had a listen?

Hardly Sister Nancy is it?!

McKay is more your Angie Stone/Terri Walker/Jill Scott type vocalist..and a respected one at that

Anyone who collaborates with Amp Fiddler is worth their salt..trust me

Beeks ,you can't educate these people, your right mckay is in same mould as Angie stone very soulful.

Social source share

hey cleaver dick :lol: STEPHANIE MCKAY is not reggae artist

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!