Stephanie Mckay, Vocal To Double Barrel Dave Ansal Collins

Guest giant

OK well as someone just pointed out to me, the acid test is this: would you play Double Barrel at a Northern Soul do?

If I want to hear 'Double Barrel' and some more reggae/ska together with Motown, a bit of Northern and Philly etc, I go to the Southampton 'Youth Clubs Reunion' nights which are most certainly not adverstised as Northern nights and do not pretend to be...The people who run them understand the difference bewteen these two aspects...what we are dealing with here is attempts by DJ'S to breach the gap between those two types of scenes...don't see the point of it, if I go to a Northern do, I want to hear Soul and Soul alone, period.... :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

no one is trying to educate you, it seems you got you master degree in every subject :)

And there's me thinking you were saying 'You can't educate these people, Beeks' earlier in the thread....I must have been hallucinating... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

...mmm Yes I do --me and me mate Sneaksy knew a lad from the Torch who did that a lot--with the occasional kick forward---funnily enough his name was Rodney lol hehehehehe

soz off topic

..'reggae' dancing was called the 'ball crusher' around our way--with a propensity to generally stick to one spot and what looked like wringing one's genatalia like a shammy leather lol

There is a link to the earlier scene with reggae---Jackie Edwards--but that was more like Jamaican Soul. Certainly Dave and Ansell Collins wouldn't have gone down well---fine record though it is. Harry J and the all stars--saw some action at Torch on a Fridays pre nighters.....cant remember what but sure some reggae got some wheel plays apart from Prince Buster etc.....Max Romeo anyone???

Geese,

Im not saying Lifeline should be featuring reggae. Im saying it had a place in the very early days and despite your reference to mods in early 70's disliking it it was also part of the mod scene, or so I believe cos I wasn't a mod back in the 60's [other than occasional fashion item and hearing first soul music in local club attached to a pub around '67]. By mid '68 I'd say the mods were disappearing even in the North and morphing into "soul boys" [or whatever you want to call them]. They were pretty much indistinguishable from those like me who were skinheads when we went out. Mohair suits and crombies not boots and braces. There was no divide but obviously there was personal musical taste so I wouldn't base my whole view on the word of a couple of guys who went to the Torch. So did I.

By that time no I didn't expect to hear reggae and would have thought it was odd. All the crew I hung about with did not get into NS like I did so yes the scenes were different but that's not to say there wasn't a big overlap.

And yes I can dance adequately to both 60's soul and reggae. I have a wide repertoire. I didn't realise there was just the one set of dance steps. Styles have changed slightly I suppose from early days but then there were guys at the Torch doing sideways shuffle to one tune and strutting about with hands on hips to others [someone will know what Im talking about there I hope]depending on feel of the record.

Finally here's a record you played according to playlists

Nowt wrong with it under the wide definition of playing good music but not Northern. Similarly this is good music too but not Northern.

Doesn't mean it can't be accomodated within that definition in the right environment.

ROD

Ok point taken, the fabulous counts tune is as far removed from traditional northern as a reggae tune, but but I'd enjoy dancing to the former more, just my taste, I know, but to me, although the counts record is only a distant cousin of say the salvidors, Dave and Ansell collins is from a different species altogether. Actually even tho the gal can sing, its a pretty cheesy idea really.

Social source share

I go to quite a few scooter doos and this sort of stuff gets played with modern ska....there's a whole new movement around it with blokes who look like Mickey Pearce dancing to it.

Off topic youtube video removed. If must post Youtube videos please ensure they are relevant and interesting to the members.

Off topic picture removed, what you said in your post is enough.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

wonderful :thumbup: which is the ist issue - seems to appear on numerous labels

I have it somewhere, will try to dig it out but it is buried deep in piles etc....Yeah, this is what JA Female reggae vocalising is all about.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

wonderful :thumbup: which is the ist issue - seems to appear on numerous labels

I have it somewhere, will try to dig it out but it is buried deep in piles etc....Yeah, this is what JA Female reggae vocalising is all about.... :hatsoff2:

I go to quite a few scooter doos and this sort of stuff gets played with modern ska....there's a whole new movement around it with blokes who look like Mickey Pearce dancing to it.

Off topic youtube video removed. If must post Youtube videos please ensure they are relevant and interesting to the members.

As I keep on saying, so what on earth is the need for introducing it on Northern Soul Nights?.... :g:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!