What Do You Do With Your Duffers/blind Buys?

Blake H

• Replies 37
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guess the advert to the right has changed the formatting and made the post dissjointed, so reposted here.

I guess this applies to long term collectors from the days when soul-packs were common place and there were shops with lots of cheap imports (Robinsons, Tape+ Record Exchange etc) I'm sure lots of us have taken a punt on a record that looks intresting, right credits/writers etc only to find its pants.

So what did you do with with those 'mistakes'? Do you still have them all tucked away somewhere, did you get rid of them straight away and if you kept them do you reapraise them from time to time, if so what if anything have you 'rescued' from the duffers box?

My best rescue was the Trumains 'Ripe for the Pickin' RCA that I thought was ploddy! at the time, heard it on a Ian Clark tape, rescued it from the loft and its reconised today as a modern soul classic.

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

Guess the advert to the right has changed the formatting and made the post dissjointed.

yep

its best when entering to avoid too much formating as looks like you tried to use line returns to "even out" the text ?

its not just adverts but will be the same also if viewing on smaller browsers/windows/phones etc :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

got one sitting on my desk now if anyone wants, can't be arsed to carry it to the car to take it home

ronnie dyson - we can make it last forever on columbia

Social source share

its so hard as taste can change soooooo much.

Your right there, best to keep everything. I'm always finding 'New stuff' on my shelves and I've been through them so many times. The latest 'Discovery' was Barbara and The Believers - What Can Happen To Me Now. It must have been in there for years, an absolutely fantastic Mid-tempo gem that is now in my play box.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I now DJ with mine in a desperate effort to be 'Cutting edge!' :D:shhh:

All the best,

Len.

You beat me to it, I was about to say I made a short and sweet, if unloved, DJ career out them.

I have been raiding what I called my unloved pile over last year or so and found 3 copies of Ojays To Prove I Love You (I gave these away as laughing that anyone could charge more than a fiver), Sir Guy (rare one), Friday Saturday Sunday, rarer copy, and a few other similar Miami things that came out of Soul Bowl soul packs. Most of them actually sounded good now but I figured if they had been lying unplayed for more than 20 years I could live without them... changed days for me

Social source share

I guess this applies to long term collectors from the days when soul-packs were common place and there were shops with lots of cheap imports (Robinsons, Tape+ Record Exchange etc) I'm sure lots of us have taken a punt on a record that looks intresting, right credits/writers etc only to find its pants.

So what did you do with with those 'mistakes'? Do you still have them all tucked away somewhere, did you get rid of them straight away and if you kept them do you reapraise them from time to time, if so what if anything have you 'rescued' from the duffers box?

My best rescue was the Trumains 'Ripe for the Pickin' RCA that I thought was ploddy! at the time, heard it on a Ian Clark tape, rescued it from the loft and its reconised today as a modern soul classic.

Aren't they now 'rare and underplayed' ?............... :wicked: :wicked: :g:

Social source share

Your right there, best to keep everything. I'm always finding 'New stuff' on my shelves and I've been through them so many times. The latest 'Discovery' was Barbara and The Believers - What Can Happen To Me Now. It must have been in there for years, an absolutely fantastic Mid-tempo gem that is now in my play box.

All the best,

Len.

Brilliant tune Len,i'm playing it aswell

Social source share

Oh dear, we're all a bit grumpy today arnt we, we could always go to the car boot & buy a load of failed British 6ts pop & call it Northern Soul.....whoops we already did that :lol: .

I traded a load of Soul Pack stuff back to Rich Rosen years ago, he welched on a deal & refused to send my paid for records unless I sent him some sweet n deep type stuff, flanned a lot of poo in that lot too........

Russ

Social source share

You beat me to it, I was about to say I made a short and sweet, if unloved, DJ career out them.

I have been raiding what I called my unloved pile over last year or so and found 3 copies of Ojays To Prove I Love You (I gave these away as laughing that anyone could charge more than a fiver), Sir Guy (rare one), Friday Saturday Sunday, rarer copy, and a few other similar Miami things that came out of Soul Bowl soul packs. Most of them actually sounded good now but I figured if they had been lying unplayed for more than 20 years I could live without them... changed days for me

Thanks Jocko, thats the kind of reply I was looking for, titles and sources etc :yes: :yes:

BH

Social source share

if i buy blind and its shite i tell tell a few mates ive picked up a couple of copies and get it now before it goes big and the price goes through the roof :D

Social source share

All the best,

Len.

Your 20 years too late Len. It was played out for a while back then. Poor vocal though so never really made an impact.

Regards,

dave

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

All the best,

Len.

there ya go with that bloody swear word again........say it to load on saturday and you,ll not get out alive :lol:

Social source share

there ya go with that bloody swear word again........say it to load on saturday and you,ll not get out alive :lol:

‘Fantastic Mid-tempo’ is NOT an oxymoron I tell you! Lol :lol:

See ya Sat.

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Your 20 years too late Len. It was played out for a while back then. Poor vocal though so never really made an impact.

Regards,

dave

Doh! - But I'm playing it now...watch this space.....maybe for another 20 years... lol :rofl:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

‘Fantastic Mid-tempo’ is NOT an oxymoron I tell you! Lol :lol:

See ya Sat.

Len.

leave out the oxy.........and whenever someone says the word fantastic before putting a tune on.......it usually is a pile of poop :lol: :lol:

:D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Not sure - just let them sit around gathering dust usually.

I bought about 25 or so 45's in Brizzle this year in one go - mostly soul / r and b labels with a few known artisits but nothing really jumped out when I played them at home.

I keep looking at them and hoping that they'll improve with age or that someone will sneak a copy of The Magnetics in there for me to 'discover' ! - Wishful thinking eh?

Social source share

The thing is, it's really really difficult to predict future trends at whatever time you start amassing 1000's of records. It's basically impossible to look into the future 'cos musical taste evolves and mutates all the time along with normal evolution, education and changes in your own personal listening habits.

All those GAZILLLIONS of Curtom and Brunswick records that I was a bit snobby about in the mid 70's because I could find 'em everywhere, 35 years later have become the staple of my current listening. I now think that many of the records that I thought were also-rans in the early to mid 70's are these days much much better than the stuff I listened to back then.

A good example, was the day that I hit a warehouse in Telford around 1977 and found a 100 count box of Lew Kirton's "Heaven In The Afternoon" on Alston and a 100 count box of Arnold Blair's "Trying To Get Next To You" on Gemigo @ 25p each if I took the lot. Didn't bother with either of 'em 'cos I was too busy chasing rare stuff LOL.

Jump forward 10 years later and Arnold Blair became a Warrington 2-step anthem @ Kev Edward's nights and became a £100 record very quickly and jump forward again and Lou Kirton became a Northern smash and another big money record that everyone wanted.

The fact is, in 1977, "Trying To Get Next To You" sounded like a monotonous dirge with no chance whatsoever. And "Heaven In The Afternoon" was so common on a TK 12" that you couldn't give it away, so the Alston 7" copies didn't look that attractive at the time.

The benefit of hindsight ay?

These days I'm a bit less judgemental generally. I now treasure those records that I would have cavalierly dismissed 10, 20 or 30 years ago, so in my opinion, we never stop learning.

So I'm a bit more careful with re-selling my duffers and blind buys these days because, generally, somewhere in the world, someone will really want that record for some reason or another. And it may turn out to be a much better record than you remember!

Great thread Blake. :thumbup:

Fancy another dig next time you're down here? You know you'll always find something. :g:

Next time you're down thisaway, give me a shout and we can reminisce....... :thumbsup: .

Bring cash. :lol:

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!