Mr Manships Auction Results 12-10-2011

JOE TORQUAY

6501sm.jpg

Majestics

(i Love Her So Much) It Hurts Me

No introduction required! Just click the soundfile and dance! PS condition is totally immaculate!

Sorry, this item has already been won!

The winning bid was £ 359.00

6503sm.jpg

Kenny Bernard

Pity My Feet

1967 UK production that very, very seldom comes up forv sale! Keith Mansfield displays his consistent talent for recreating the USA “Soul Sound” . The opening drums and strong bass line starts to lift into a Herbie Goins, Long John Baldrey or Chris Farlowe style dancer as Kenny flexes his vocal prowess over that irresistible MOD-esque production. Fabulous tune and so, so had to acquire!

The winning bid was £ 163.00

6504sm.jpg

Ida Sands

Rescue Me C/w Prophesize

Written by G. Johnson - aided by the man who guided those Virginia soul greats Wilson Williams, Barbara Stant etc. Noah Biggs is another one of those busy writer / producers who has seen very little recognition for his skilled efforts. So take a long look and listen to this mighty-rare 45. Top side is totally solid girl Northern Soul, which saw much-later release on CHIEFretitled as “You Came Along To Rescue Me”. I particularly adore the off-the-wall flip “Prophesize” a wonderful Deep Soul experience that morphs into a powerful Big City stroller as the brass competes with Ida’s colossal outpourings. SHIPTOWN is the rare and first label for the Diva-double-delight.

The winning bid was £ 219.00

6474sm.jpg

Rose Battiste

Hit & Run C/w I Miss My Baby

Does classic Northern Soul white demo’s come any more alluring than this Double-Detroit-Delight? BOTH sides offer up stunning examples of girl-vocal Northern Soul. Considered all-time NS Anthems since Rose first broke surface at the TORCH back in the halcyon nites of our scene! This offering is the rarely seen WHITE DEMO is just glorious flawless condition.

The winning bid was £ 353.00

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

6497sm.jpg

Almeta Lattimore

These Memories C/w Oh My Love

Can you fall in love with a voice - listening to this lady, I’m absolutely certain you can. When Richard Searling first played this killer at Southport Weekend in the late 90s by the end of the weekend it was a MONSTER Almeta heart-piercing tones, left the holiday camp with you! Today you are viewing the ultra-rare STOCK copy offering a b-side so you can swoon over Almeta two-times over - as the flip gives up just as much SOUL as it’s oh so wanted a-side!

The winning bid was £ 280.00

6508sm.jpg

Dennis Edwards

Johnnie On The Spot C/w I Didn't Have To

The former Temptation offers the collector of the rare and wonderful two times over. A quick check of Popsike reveals 3 horrid copies ranging from dreadfully water damaged to cracked! With only ONE in collectible condition, in my lifetime this is only the 4th time ever, we have be able to offer it for sale. This example has two flawless labels, vinyl that only reveals a few minor surface marks - plays beautifully both sides - check that Temptin Temptation’s soundfile - resist Detroit Northern Soul at it’s finest - if you can.

The winning bid was £ 1,714.00

6500sm.jpg

Carl Spencer

Cover Girl

Discovered by Daly City Bob, perhaps the very first Yank to get the feel of the “Northern Soul Sound”. On a road-trip as his buddy Henry Mariano played through a pile of 45’s, out of the little portable came Carl’s booming vocal riding Bob Halley’s juggernaut production! Within weeks it was in the UK and on the turntables of the Northern Sea rare-soul-haven that was Cleethorpes! Tells a great story does Bob but his copy he sold me back then, was the rather plain White Label DEMO. Before you today is the glorious multi-coloured vision of the west coast press. Great tune - eye-grabbingly gorgeous, in this format.

The winning bid was £ 274.00

6495sm.jpg

Darwin's Theory

Accept The Truth (about Yourself)

Homer Banks & Carl Hampton between them cafted some of the most poingent Soul Records known to man.Why they would turn up on this extremely obscure Tulsa Oklahoma session is a mystery. But you can feel the pure-class they fuse into this mid-tempo vocal-group groove, by skillfully blending harmony with funk riffs to create a totally refreshing choppy dance-tune. Tulsa is not blessed with much-soul and anyone who been there searching for records will confirm it’s a vinyl-desert. RARE and carrying so much potential…Love it!

The winning bid was £ 102.00

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

>6499sm.jpg

Black Faith

The Vow

rare 1974 UK 45 with a long-overlooked flipside that delivers mighty-fine 70s Funk - from the man who did such skilled work 15 years later with the Brand New Heavies, Ian Green’s arranged brass and production provides a FUNKmasterpiece hidden away on the flip of very ordinary in fact darn awful recording. Little wonder today, this offering is so extremely elusive. This copy is in perfect condition still retaining original company sleeve. Killer FUNKthat never achieved USA release!

The winning bid was £ 108.00

>6506sm.jpg

Joe Bragg

I've Gotta Make It

Bocart = Bob Carter but this 45 has more than a passing acquaintance with the SHRINE team. Wrote by Harry Bass, produced by Eddie Singleton for his notable SILA PRODUCTIONS. Top side has the added extra talent of J. J.Jackson as a co-writer, giving up a muscly brass and string blended Big City beater; with Joe’s slick velvety vocal rising to every peek Eddie Singleton throws before him. In true SHRINE style the use of both girl and male vocal groups to add real-depth to the proceedings is evident throughout. This is aNS beauty - listen, absorb and enjoy…and you may will be left wondering where has this tune been hiding all your life!

The winning bid was £ 138.00

6502sm.jpg

Cliff Nobles

My Love Is Getting Stronger C/w Too Fond Of You

The skills of Jesse James glow on every note of this punchy Northern Soul Philly 1966 production, pre-The Horse but showing the same compelling dance-beat that made the Jesse James synonymous with 60s DANCE . This offering is the very FIRST LABEL before Atlantic gave it a brief but unsuccessful release. A classic spin, so classic in fact few people have ever heard the flip, which is another worthy testament to the City, the time and it’s music!

The winning bid was £ 203.00

6473sm.jpg

Newbeats

Run Baby Run (back Into My Arms)

Some find it difficult why the “old school” Soulie’s get so very excited by the originals 60s promo. The scan of this 1965 UK DEMO is totally pristine condition will set the heart a racing for the over 55’s. But the story behind this record, is on release, it sold NOTHING! If it wasn’t for he upfront DJ’s of the London, Manchester and Sheffield all-nite club scene this would have fell into “pop” obscurity! Constant plays and very enthusiastic dancefloor reaction encouraged DECCA into 1971 London label re-issue, this instantly ignited a Youth Club disco frenzy of plays - seeing the reissue chart at #10. Before you today is the VERY RARE and immaculate 1965 PROMO which even back in those heady days of the 60s, it was an endangered species. In 2011 in this condition? - near impossible trophy!

The winning bid was £ 100.00

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

>6475sm.jpg

Senator Jones

Call The Sherriff C/ W Let Yourself Go

They didn’t christen him the Creole Beethoven for nothing, here is yet another New Orleans NS/R&B dancer. Top side is a street-level fan-tab-ulous R&B dancer just begging to go to the right DJ. I’m imagining this in a R&B set 2.00 a.m. volume right-up and would anyone leave the floor - we doubt it - instantly infectious bump n’ grind shaker - that is impossibly RARE! From a man and a production team (Wardell Querzeque and friends) who never fails to please - especially if the disc is a flood escapee of the very rarest breed!

The winning bid was £ 101.00

>6496sm.jpg

Kool Blues

Can We Try Love Again C/w I Want To Be Ready

Imagine of how despondent it must be, to spend a day in the studio created a masterpiece only to see it sell nothing on release. This Columbus, Ohio 45 from the very-cool “Kool Blues” is as fluid a harmony groove you could ever wish to experience. Topside is sublime crossover Northern Soul the flipside is a ballad-stroller from the top-drawer. Like most forms of seriously fine art and craft it’s only fully recognized years too late. At the moment it’s reputation is rising - and rightly so this record sits in a class of very little competition.

The winning bid was £ 380.00

6505sm.jpg

Kim Weston

I'm Still Loving You

The seriously elusive 1965 TMG 511 in fine clean condition is a thing of beauty. Click the soundfile and hear a thing of irresistible NS dance! Little wonder many consider this recording the best female Northern Soul record ever released by UK Tamla Motown, ironically it’s one of the rarest too.

The winning bid was £ 159.00

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!