The Oxford Nights

Guest Bearsy

Just out of interest what is the going rate for this at the moment, ive had a couple of different prices from a couple of mates and they are way apart

also its not quite as rare as it once was i belleive as a load tunrned up and also i believe its been booted, original matt black label and boot glossy black label, am i on the right lines here ??

many thanks

Bearsy

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Done from the original stampers by a band member I believe. Has anyone ever compared the 2 together label wise, cos & I know this sounds a bit weird, but I cant work out if my label is shiny or or matt.....even matt labels can have a bit of a sheen sometimes......

Also, if memory serves me right (?) wernt they found in the bottom of the guys wardrobe or summat, so I always wondered if they were a rerun done not long after the original press, as opposed to being repressed more recently for the NS market......anyone ???.

Best Russ

Social source share

Just went on Youtube to have a blast of this, as I havent played or heard it for a while........its really a brilliant slice of Carolinas Northern Soul.........dont do it Paul :( .

Best Russ

i cant do it Russ im skint but could trade possibly this is a tune thats always got me inside somewhere and would sit nice in me collection me thinks :D

so me thinking £300 max for a minter is a bit hopeful then :facepalm:

Social source share

Just went on Youtube to have a blast of this, as I havent played or heard it for a while........its really a brilliant slice of Carolinas Northern Soul.........dont do it Paul :( .

Best Russ

i cant do it Russ im skint but could trade possibly this is a tune thats always got me inside somewhere and would sit nice in me collection me thinks :D

so me thinking £300 max for a minter is a bit hopeful then :facepalm:

Done from the original stampers by a band member I believe. Has anyone ever compared the 2 together label wise, cos & I know this sounds a bit weird, but I cant work out if my label is shiny or or matt.....even matt labels can have a bit of a sheen sometimes......

Also, if memory serves me right (?) wernt they found in the bottom of the guys wardrobe or summat, so I always wondered if they were a rerun done not long after the original press, as opposed to being repressed more recently for the NS market......anyone ???.

Best Russ

i think your right russ i kind of remember that story too, some peeps are saying dont touch the shiney labes thay are boots and there is diferent markings in the run out too i think, does anyone really know the truth :g:

Social source share

The shiny label copies were done from the same stampers as Russ says although don't think they have the music city stamp the originals have.

Crock O Sh*te IMO....far better Carolinas records out there than this.

cheers Chalks and are you saying its not your cup of char :lol:

Social source share

Bearsy, my copy has the following DL-0016-B then 25 B (where the B appears within a circle) and music city stamped in the run out.

Hope this helps.

T

thanks Tony great info :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Just out of interest what is the going rate for this at the moment, ive had a couple of different prices from a couple of mates and they are way apart

also its not quite as rare as it once was i belleive as a load tunrned up and also i believe its been booted, original matt black label and boot glossy black label, am i on the right lines here ??

many thanks

Bearsy

Paul look on the sales forum. One on there.

ps how are you, long time no see.

Social source share

Paul look on the sales forum. One on there.

ps how are you, long time no see.

Hi Mark im good thanks and yeah long time no see hope you well matey, thats the one in the trades section that had me thinking but wants more than i can afford so maybe trying to trade but he dont want shite lol

Social source share

i paid a lot of money for it...then it seemed to turn up a year or so later!!

Oh well - i still had the Dream Team in my box...........

oh the joys of record buying... :-(

Wasn't it Lil Peddler (forget his real name) who had all the copies that turned up, he was feeding them out for ages.

Social source share

Wasn't it Lil Peddler (forget his real name) who had all the copies that turned up, he was feeding them out for ages.

That's the guy Chalky! Julian B. Fowler is his real name. All the copies seem to have dried up bar the last one (allegedly) his sister has!! :g:

Social source share

He wasnt really feeding was he.......he f*ckin flooded the market........however, there was another US dealer who actually had been feeding these out for a while before Lil Peddler, but it is my opinion he didnt know they were represses, he just thought he had stumbled on the old stock from a band member & was 'managing' the sales.

Best Russ

Social source share

They were, but I dont think they were aware of each other initially.

Russ

Hi Russ, I bought a used copy off julian with the stamp in the run out and sold it about 5 years ago I rang him about a year ago to buy another and as I stated he told me that the sister had the only copy and she wanted to much for it but I think they knew what they were doing regards the sales! just my humble opinion mind! but I don't think there where as many copies as people seem to think. Still wouldn't mind it back at the right price. Best wishes john.

Social source share

Hi Russ, I bought a used copy off julian with the stamp in the run out and sold it about 5 years ago I rang him about a year ago to buy another and as I stated he told me that the sister had the only copy and she wanted to much for it but I think they knew what they were doing regards the sales! just my humble opinion mind! but I don't think there where as many copies as people seem to think. Still wouldn't mind it back at the right price. Best wishes john.

Sorry John, I think I have confused the issue, I agree with everything you have said, but I'm sure there was ANOTHER dealer who had found the drummer too & who would get copies occasionally & well before Julian started selling em - with regards to the amount, I agree with you there also, my guess, as I mentioned earlier, was that it was a repress done years ago , as opposed to being done more recently, just a guess tho.

I cant get any more info from the other dealer tho, as initially I dont think they were aware of the repress & sold these in good faith, therefore wouldnt want to tarnish thier reputation.

Hope I have put this a little clearer.

Best Russ

Social source share

Not all the copies that flooded the market were represses.

I differ in opinion about the represses Russ. I personally think they were done after the record went big, dealers source the group or members of the group for copies and with the drummer having access to the plates pressed more up. I doubt it was old stock? Was the record ever popular back in the 60's, so much so one member did another run of the record?

Social source share

Sorry John, I think I have confused the issue, I agree with everything you have said, but I'm sure there was ANOTHER dealer who had found the drummer too & who would get copies occasionally & well before Julian started selling em - with regards to the amount, I agree with you there also, my guess, as I mentioned earlier, was that it was a repress done years ago , as opposed to being done more recently, just a guess tho.

I cant get any more info from the other dealer tho, as initially I dont think they were aware of the repress & sold these in good faith, therefore wouldnt want to tarnish thier reputation.

Hope I have put this a little clearer.

Best Russ

Cheers russ! Certainly dried up now though! That said if I bought it now I would probabley never play it out, but I guess it was Right at the time! :yes: Atb John.

Social source share

Roy Smith's the singer and also credited on the labe. I have another by him called Soul Control, sounds like Tom Jones so I ask is it blue eyed soul?

Roy Smith was the main man behind the Delphi label Tony. In the 1960s he produced, arranged and played keyboards with the Georgia Prophets of "I Got The Fever" fame. He WAS white, but his voice was great IMHO.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Not all the copies that flooded the market were represses.

I differ in opinion about the represses Russ. I personally think they were done after the record went big, dealers source the group or members of the group for copies and with the drummer having access to the plates pressed more up. I doubt it was old stock? Was the record ever popular back in the 60's, so much so one member did another run of the record?

Its only a guess Chalky based on some information I was given at the time, which of course could have been a red herring anyway.

Best Russ

Social source share

many thanks

Bearsy

One up for trades the other day, though he wasn't interested in a Guitar Ray swap.

Social source share

Just another bit of info on this, I first heard this from a great tape, well before it was widely known (unknown ?) from the LEG - END 'Ion the Greek', what a man & responsible for many a great tune, a great NS character, who I still see very occasionally, but is sorely missed by the scene methinks, we need more people like this on the scene, true soulful, passionate innovators..........

Best Russ

Social source share

i paid a lot of money for it...then it seemed to turn up a year or so later!!

Oh well - i still had the Dream Team in my box...........

oh the joys of record buying... :-(

I got it fairly cheap early on waaaaaaaaay before the 'glossy ones' turned up en masse...absolute screamer of a track...a real nighter record....can't understand anyone that enjoys dancing not liking it!

The Dream Team...that is indeed another story.

:wicked:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

Shifty bough

I got it fairly cheap early on waaaaaaaaay before the 'glossy ones' turned up en masse...absolute screamer of a track...a real nighter record....can't understand anyone that enjoys dancing not liking it!

The Dream Team...that is indeed another story.

:wicked:

Didn't see a glossy one till after it became a popular spin commanding a decent amount of money.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Excellent track! Love that organ riff! Never fails to amaze me how cavernous? some of these songs sound. George Blackwell probably a better example-sounds like it is actually being recorded in a cavern!!! Think thats why so many tracks work well at nighters. They create that 'larger-than-life' atmosphere. If u know what i mean? :-/. Carl.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Nice picture!

These boys have soul, no mistake about that.

So then If your gonna own this make sure its Music City stamped.

There will always be a question mark over the rest. So how many Music City stamped originals are out there? Not alot i'd guess.

I think you will find collectors will pay alot more for these when they hit the market! If they hit the market?

Love this tune!!!!!!!!

Atb

Clint

Edited by SLAMMINSOUL
Social source share

Nice picture!

There will always be a question mark over the rest. So how many Music City stamped originals are out there? Not alot i'd guess.

I think you will find collectors will pay alot more for these when they hit the market! If they hit the market?

Love this tune!!!!!!!!

Atb

Clint

i dont think it`ll see the likes of £1500 again tho

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Nice picture!

Love this tune!!!!!!!!

Atb

Clint

Mine has the music city stamp its also has the letter B in a circle and 25 just before that, it also has DL-0016-B in the run out too.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The shiny label copies were done from the same stampers as Russ says although don't think they have the music city stamp the originals have.

Crock O Sh*te IMO....far better Carolinas records out there than this.

is this white popular music?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!