Elijah Rockin With Soul Vocal

Guest astevec

Guest astevec

Sortin out my sound files and came across a version of this. Hook (title) seems 2 b 'Rockin with soul' (no mention of elijah). It got sent to me with a track called, i think, 'Whenever i'm with you' by Larry Hammond. Both tracks could b by the same artist.

Anybody know anymore?

TIA,

Steve.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Sortin out my sound files and came across a version of this. Hook (title) seems 2 b 'Rockin with soul' (no mention of elijah). It got sent to me with a track called, i think, 'Whenever i'm with you' by Larry Hammond. Both tracks could b by the same artist.

Anybody know anymore?

TIA,

Steve.

is it the same backing track/identicle?

Social source share

Guest astevec

The backing track to ''Elijah Rockin with soul' seems 2 b identical. Also I know the backing track 2 'Whenever i'm with you', but just can't think wot it is @ mo.

Steve.

Social source share

Guest astevec

I've got a sound file of 'sad sad way' by larry hammond, which got sent 2 me a few yrs l8r, from a diiferent source, as an 'unissued' track.

Steve.

Social source share

Guest astevec

Yeh, 'Whenever i'm with you' is same backing track as Tobi Lark, cheers. The instrumental came out on a cd, can't remember which one, as by Topper Productions, unissued. The file I have ot this is poorish quality so can't tell if it is identical. The file i have of 'rockin with soul' is also not 100% and has a cupla 'jumps' in it, as tho it was taken from a worn/scratched record.

Steve.

Social source share

Guest astevec

Thanks Dave. I had checked on the net b4 and found a ref 2 live music @ the man utd bar in HK, didnt bother checkin further @ time as i'm a blue.

Cheers 2 all,

Steve.

Social source share

These are vocals added over the instrumentals in a flat in Hong Kong by Dave Burton & Co. Done about ten years ago maybe.

It was about ten years ago Dave, I did have an e-mail from Dave Burton telling me the story. Anyway he recent;y joined SS so maybe if he is reading this he will tell the story . There was 4 tracks done I think.

Social source share

Guest astevec

I, as far as I kno, hav 3 of the tracks. Although the quality is bad, they sound alrght, def sound as tho they wudv/cudv bin playd.

Steve.

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest soulmusicforever

interesting to see the comments on my attempts to create some mystery in the (then) recently resurrected northern scene back in '98. To give the full story i wrote the lyrics to Sad Sad Way one sunday afternoon by the pool while listening to Sidra's Theme over and over again. It was with Larry Hammond in mind who i had heard sing motown covers over the previous few months at a jazz bar in hong kong. It was actually recorded in a proper studio but i only got a minidisc out of him hence the one track take as Ady has correctly pointed out. If you listen there are two guys (friends of Larry's) also singing backup to the chorus. It was just meant as a demo to see if Ady would want to release it but we never took it any further and Larry forgot about it. I did send a minidisc to dave rivers which i believe he then made some acetates from to sell (bless him). A few years later someone (can't remember who) asked me if he could buy it and had i done anything else. i had actually recorded a few other things with Larry a few months after sad way but not very good. recorded in my bedroom with a handheld mike. they were "rocking with soul baby" (hank jacobs) "ride of my life" (earl wright) "whenever I'm with you" (detroit inst). i also recorded "whenever im with you" with a female singer called maria cordero from Macau. great voice but not great at soul for some reason. didn't work.

because these were all recorded in my house they just weren't good enough but on the bright side the guy that bought larry hammond and a couple of the others paid me a few quid so i gave larry HK$1000 which he was very grateful for. he's still playing the clubs and jazz bars in hk.

fyi - he also told me that he and his brothers recorded under the name of Brothers Hammond in the early 80's when they lived in seattle their home town. they had some 45's so if anyone has them i would be interested to know what they are like???

cheers

db

Social source share

fyi - he also told me that he and his brothers recorded under the name of Brothers Hammond in the early 80's when they lived in seattle their home town. they had some 45's so if anyone has them i would be interested to know what they are like???

cheers

db

I have a 45 from the late 1970s (I think) by BroHam, as the group was known. The artist credit reads one of the Hammond brothers (maybe Larry - I haven't looked at the record in a while) instead of Broham. One of the songs is on the original Wheedles Groove comp. I don't know if there's a later 45. 1980s = trashcan for me.

Social source share

I have a 45 from the late 1970s (I think) by BroHam, as the group was known. The artist credit reads one of the Hammond brothers (maybe Larry - I haven't looked at the record in a while) instead of Broham. One of the songs is on the original Wheedles Groove comp. I don't know if there's a later 45. 1980s = trashcan for me.

The song on Wheedles Groove is called "nothing in common". I tried to find a listing from Collectors Frenzy but there were none - probably because it's only worth about 15 bucks. Here it is from Youtube - including a hilariously dumb comment about 'having the album as a kid' - what, four years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtmu2tIAjM

Social source share

Guest soulmusicforever

The song on Wheedles Groove is called "nothing in common". I tried to find a listing from Collectors Frenzy but there were none - probably because it's only worth about 15 bucks. Here it is from Youtube - including a hilariously dumb comment about 'having the album as a kid' - what, four years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKtmu2tIAjM

Social source share

Guest soulmusicforever

Yes that's the one. Thanks for posting. That is deffo Larry singing lead. Bit mediocre and not even good funk for me. No wonder he left for HK :)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert