Kill The Irishman

Tommy1

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just finished watching the movie, anyone seen it? Surprised about the opening tune, Kool blues "I'm gonna keep on loving you". The only explanation for using a rare soul tune as that must be that the movie is about the mafia in the 60s 70s in Cleveland Ohio.

That's a silly move! Pretty good song but completely out of place. I haven't seem the movie either but I lived in Cleveland during the time and I remember Danny Greene's death and the various bombings that preceeded it like they happened last month. The Kool Blues had no connection to Cleveland's mob culture depicted in the movie. Kinda like a Black Panthers movie with Frank Sinatra and the "Lord of the Dance" music for a soundtrack.

Edited by George G
Social source share

Just finished watching the movie, anyone seen it? Surprised about the opening tune, Kool blues "I'm gonna keep on loving you". The only explanation for using a rare soul tune as that must be that the movie is about the mafia in the 60s 70s in Cleveland Ohio.

its used in a great opening scene though yep?

was looking for a vid clip of that to use in the original vinyl threads

along lines of the dangers of buying dodgy 8 tracks :)

Social source share

Yes it is and it got no conection to Danny Greene. Just surprised that they used a quite rare soul tune that he is listening to in his car, when it could be a common motown track.

see its had a Numero cd release, so maybe a sort of similar thing to the use of penny and the quarters track

Social source share

This is one of the reasons why I haven't bothered to see the movie. It would have been a lot of fun for me if they had really tried to use details that matched 1970s Cleveland - I could have had a 100 minute time travel experience. But...seeing that it was a standard US movie production, that won't be the case. I think of the cool songs they could have used like Imperial Wonders "You Live Only Once", Jesse Fisher "You're Not Loving a Beginner", Sly Slick and Wicked "Sho'Nuff"....songs by Cleveland artists that got played a lot on radio - hell, even something by the Raspberries. Or use old radio ads for long gone businesses like Cleveland Trust bank....Uncle Bills, Gold Circle, or Giant Tiger stores....

A lot of the movie was shot in Detroit, which bothered some Clevelanders, but OTOH they seemed to enjoy that Detroit is even more of a craphole than Cleveland so it was easier to recreate the 1970s rust belt Cleveland neighborhoods there.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!