Greedy Venue Owners Not In Tune With The Soul Scene

Suinoz

I often read on this site about organisers pulling out of a venue for one reason or another. Do you get the feeling that some venue owners are just not in tune with whats going on in our scene ?? We have just experienced the most dramatic case of sheer bloody greed on the part of our venue manager after 5 and a half great years. They started off charging us 550 dollars to hire the venue once a month, not alway's on the same weekend, in fact we had to ' fit in with them ' most months. This went on for over 3 years and then they suddenly decided to nearly DOUBLE the hire fee to 1000 dollars without any sort of negotiation PLUS they wanted a further 3-50 dollars for any telephone / internet bookings. We have charged 10 dollars entry for the whole time even though printing and advertising costs have increased. This was a way of keeping our regulars happy.

Then to really add insult to injury, 2 months ago they said they wanted to take the 3-50 from EVERYONE that came through the doors.

We were gobsmacked to say the least and went along with it for one month, increasing the door charge to 13 dollars. The result of that was a 50% drop in attendance with the regular diehards giving us their support. We tried to get them to drop the door levy but to no avail SO have been forced to pull out.

Our punters probably spent more money behind the bar in that one night than they took for the rest of the month. We even raised 4000 dollars ( YES 4000 ) to buy 250 new chairs that funnily enough arrived just a couple of weeks ago so we won't even have the pleasure of using them. I mean is someone taking the piss here or what ??

Now if this ain't a gigantic case of PURE GREED then i don't know what is. Have you had problems of a similar nature ????

Expalining to the manager that the Northern Soul scene was never about making money, but the passion and love of the music and dancing just didn't wash with the tight arse. As you can imagine.. ' NOT HAPPY JAN !!!!!!!! ' Tony T Bone OZ.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Personal opinion i know for a fact weekenders run in the UK... by Rob Wigley & Kev Roberts/Chalky etc they certainly DO know their onions.

Its just not about running a venue, these guys know labels who discovered the records/ contacts, the producers,,, even where the tune was first played etc all the info required :yes: .

If you run a Northern soul weekender or venue who ever you are" You must know the scene inside and out"!.

Social source share

Find somewhere else and tell them to fu-k off its the same over here in the uk some venue owners are total dimwits your well shut of them .

well said Ian

Social source share

Can't you find another venue Tony? Was lovely to see you and Sue in Skegness; glad you've arrived home safely :)

Hi Karen, Yes have been offered another venue and am looking at it on Friday. We have been there before and it has just undergone a massive refurbishment with a huge sound system in place for us to use. So fingers crossed the first gig will be 21st January. Yep great to catch up with you at Skeggy. Stay soulful.. A.T.B. Tony.

Social source share

Find somewhere else and tell them to fu-k off its the same over here in the uk some venue owners are total dimwits your well shut of them .

Hi Ian, already have done mate. Told em they Fu- - ed us over and to basically get stuffed. 5 and a half years is a long time tho. Ah well shite happens, onward and upward. Take care, Tony. OZ.

Social source share

In the UK, from my experiences in Leeds, venue owners quite frankly couldnt give two sh*ts about our scene let alone be tuned in.

They're business owners who get countless enquiries about their facilities. Whether it's a city centre venue, working men';s club, old ballroom etc, it doesn't matter. They want as many people in to take a good wedge over the bar, and although each venue manager will differ, they usually want to charge you for the privellage.

We used to run That Driving Beat in one of the best venues in Leeds, The Wardrobe. That place was the spearhead for alternative music (funk, Jazz, soul etc) in Leeds and had an unbelieveable room downstairs that was perfect for a soul event. They charged extortionate amounts to any promoter wanting to put a gig on, and had we not had the promise of reduced rates after a couple of months, we wouldnt have considered it. BUT we did, and paid for it big time (in the pocket). They offered little assistance and even put the squeeze on with wanting better bar takings, more numbers through the door etc. But wouldn't budge in terms of room costs, bar prices, switching friday to Saturday............all of which would've helped achieve what they wanted.

We're now in a cheaper place, where the bar is new and looking to US as promoters to help lift the exposure and reputation of the bar. Much more willing to work with us as it's in their business interest. Plus one of the owners likes a bit of soul/motown, northern etc, which is a bonus.

Simple fact is, venues and managers are greedy, but its their job to be. Business is Business i suppose. You'd need deep pockets as a venue owner to ignore 'the next big thing' for your business, just to accomodate a soul event.

Turning nasty after 5 years is a bit out of order though.

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

In the UK, from my experiences in Leeds, venue owners quite frankly couldnt give two sh*ts about our scene let alone be tuned in.

They're business owners who get countless enquiries about their facilities. Whether it's a city centre venue, working men';s club, old ballroom etc, it doesn't matter. They want as many people in to take a good wedge over the bar, and although each venue manager will differ, they usually want to charge you for the privellage.

We used to run That Driving Beat in one of the best venues in Leeds, The Wardrobe. That place was the spearhead for alternative music (funk, Jazz, soul etc) in Leeds and had an unbelieveable room downstairs that was perfect for a soul event. They charged extortionate amounts to any promoter wanting to put a gig on, and had we not had the promise of reduced rates after a couple of months, we wouldnt have considered it. BUT we did, and paid for it big time (in the pocket). They offered little assistance and even put the squeeze on with wanting better bar takings, more numbers through the door etc. But wouldn't budge in terms of room costs, bar prices, switching friday to Saturday............all of which would've helped achieve what they wanted.

We're now in a cheaper place, where the bar is new and looking to US as promoters to help lift the exposure and reputation of the bar. Much more willing to work with us as it's in their business interest. Plus one of the owners likes a bit of soul/motown, northern etc, which is a bonus.

Simple fact is, venues and managers are greedy, but its their job to be. Business is Business i suppose. You'd need deep pockets as a venue owner to ignore 'the next big thing' for your business, just to accomodate a soul event.

Turning nasty after 5 years is a bit out of order though.

Good post my friend . The irony for us is that the Waterfront Blues and Soul Club (York) has just lost its Sunday chill out venue @ the City Screen , York because it was too popular and they couldn't cope with the larger than expected numbers etc . No fall out, just what happened . Evening events will continue there , next one Sat 10th Dec , then three in 2012 . Now looking for a new venue for chill outs .

Social source share

We used to run That Driving Beat in one of the best venues in Leeds, The Wardrobe. That place was the spearhead for alternative music (funk, Jazz, soul etc) in Leeds and had an unbelieveable room downstairs that was perfect for a soul event.

Good post my friend . The irony for us is that the Waterfront Blues and Soul Club (York) has just lost its Sunday chill out venue @ the City Screen , York because it was too popular and they couldn't cope with the larger than expected numbers etc . No fall out, just what happened . Evening events will continue there , next one Sat 10th Dec , then three in 2012 . Now looking for a new venue for chill outs .

I have to say both those venues were 1st class, shame about the chill out sessions at City Screen, and as for The Wardrobe, an almost perfect venue for a soul night, basement room, slightly sunken dancefloor, knowledgeable promoters, great music, and even the youngsters who wandered in not knowing what they were getting were up for it and enjoyed themselves. I only went a couple of times before it ended, but it was a fantastic venue.

Social source share

I have to say both those venues were 1st class, shame about the chill out sessions at City Screen, and as for The Wardrobe, an almost perfect venue for a soul night, basement room, slightly sunken dancefloor, knowledgeable promoters, great music, and even the youngsters who wandered in not knowing what they were getting were up for it and enjoyed themselves. I only went a couple of times before it ended, but it was a fantastic venue.

That's why it was such a shame mate. But I can see where Tony is coming from. Sadly though, it's all too familiar a story and makes promoting that bit harder! Probably a factor into some do's hitting the graveyard I suspect.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for your kind coments about the Waterfront Blues``Blues & Soul Club at The City Screen . Just heard

the new venue for the chill outs will be next door to the City Screen and appropriately still on the waterfront, in our own re furbished and stylish upstairs room above the Pitcher & Piano. Located in a stunning converted 19th warehouse (exposed brickwork, high ceilings, aircon, fantastic vista over the river & city) with its own bar, wooden dance floor, larger capacity, yet with food and an even larger private riverside terrace downstairs, its tailor made for the Waterfront Blues & Soul Club on Sunday afternoons.

To celebrate the move, the next chill-out and first at the new venue will be a mini all dayer on Sunday 1st January 2012. Starting at 2pm we have extended hours til' 10pm and along with the residents an already impressive list of guest DJs including The Willingham Collective (Manchester), Nige Brown & Carman (Kings Hall Stoke, etc), Phil Shields (Belfast Soul Club), Andy Baskett (Hinckley), Dave Cervi-Kilner (Manhattan Club) and York's 's Andy Hudson . Free admission & promo cd (compiled by Sam Evans & Andy Baskett) to 1st 50 .

Sunday chill outs will then continue every 2nd Sunday of the month (with the exception of April as we have an evening event at the City Screen on Saturday 14 April) Dates are : Sunday 12th Feb, Sun 11th March, Sun 13th May, Sun 10th June, Sun 8th July . 2pm -7pm .

Social source share

Many thanks for your kind coments about the Waterfront Blues``Blues & Soul Club at The City Screen . Just heard

the new venue for the chill outs will be next door to the City Screen and appropriately still on the waterfront, in our own re furbished and stylish upstairs room above the Pitcher & Piano. Located in a stunning converted 19th warehouse (exposed brickwork, high ceilings, aircon, fantastic vista over the river & city) with its own bar, wooden dance floor, larger capacity, yet with food and an even larger private riverside terrace downstairs, its tailor made for the Waterfront Blues & Soul Club on Sunday afternoons.

To celebrate the move, the next chill-out and first at the new venue will be a mini all dayer on Sunday 1st January 2012. Starting at 2pm we have extended hours til' 10pm and along with the residents an already impressive list of guest DJs including The Willingham Collective (Manchester), Nige Brown & Carman (Kings Hall Stoke, etc), Phil Shields (Belfast Soul Club), Andy Baskett (Hinckley), Dave Cervi-Kilner (Manhattan Club) and York's 's Andy Hudson . Free admission & promo cd (compiled by Sam Evans & Andy Baskett) to 1st 50 .

Sunday chill outs will then continue every 2nd Sunday of the month (with the exception of April as we have an evening event at the City Screen on Saturday 14 April) Dates are : Sunday 12th Feb, Sun 11th March, Sun 13th May, Sun 10th June, Sun 8th July . 2pm -7pm .

Cheers, dates transfered to my 2012 diary! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Something similar happened to the Abergavenny Soul nights run by Andrew and Tracey.

They used to just about fill a hotel ballroom. And money used to fly across the bar, with a team of 4 or 5 bar staff struggling to keep up.

Andy told me they not only wanted to increase the hire by about 4 times, but also wanted a %age of the door money.

They dont hold any nights there any more :-(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!