Marvin Gaye- Lonley Lover, Was It Issued?

Geeselad

Marvin Gaye- Lonley lover, was it issued? after hearing what flynny said about sweet sherry orig, it brought to mind myself remembering seeing a copy of Marvi singin lonley lover on Tamla, around 87. I've been told this was unissued but, unless I've dreamt it can rember holding a copy in my hands and saying to the guy I didnt know he done it, Jimmy Mcfarland was still a massive oldie back then. you can all luagh at me, but I cant get rid of the memory.

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The first legit issue of 'Lonely Lover' on 45 was the one that came out on UK (and possibly US but I couldn;t say without checking) Motown in 1986 on the back of 'The World Is Rated X'. 12" and 7"...

Unfortunately Motown updated it with syndrums and synths and the original bits are buried somewhere beneath a load of old 80s nonsense.

But there's your legit 45 issue of 'Lonely Lover', Geese - the one and only one that i'm aware of.

Social source share

The first legit issue of 'Lonely Lover' on 45 was the one that came out on UK (and possibly US but I couldn;t say without checking) Motown in 1986 on the back of 'The World Is Rated X'. 12" and 7"...

Unfortunately Motown updated it with syndrums and synths and the original bits are buried somewhere beneath a load of old 80s nonsense.

But there's your legit 45 issue of 'Lonely Lover', Geese - the one and only one that i'm aware of.

They buggered up "Lucky Lucky me" in a similar fashion.

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Ive always thought about this.Did jimmy macfarland release this because motown didnt,

Social source share

Marvin Gaye- Lonley lover, was it issued? after hearing what flynny said about sweet sherry orig, it brought to mind myself remembering seeing a copy of Marvi singin lonley lover on Tamla, around 87. I've been told this was unissued but, unless I've dreamt it can rember holding a copy in my hands and saying to the guy I didnt know he done it, Jimmy Mcfarland was still a massive oldie back then. you can all luagh at me, but I cant get rid of the memory.

Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but it was released on a vaults LP

DJ

Social source share

I remember buying this (Hudson's Records in Chesterfield) when it came out and being so disappointed when I got it home :(

Social source share

Sorry Guys but I still swear i saw one in a box on the yellow us, Tamla label, not like above, might be the memory or a dream but thats not the one I recall seeing, it looked far more authentic.

You are not thinking of Distant Lover on Tamla are you? Never seen a Tamla copy of Lonely Lover. Maybe someone knocked one up themselves?

Social source share

No guys, the reason I'm so convinced I saw a copy was because I didnt know Marvin had done LL, I only knew the Jimmy Mc version and its stuck out in my mind, cause it was a few years later that I heard his version on the format mentioned above, could of been a carver but were these previlant at this time? Its always nawed away at me, this one.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

My now conclusive research can confirm that 'Lonely Lover' has never been released on a US single, on any of Berry Gordy's imprints - neither the original nor the 80s remix.

You either dreamed you saw it, or someone has snided up a lookalike label and stuck it on an acetate.

I can't be any more definite than that!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Like I said, thought the 12" had an unremixed one

Nah, it's remixed on there too, mate. You might be thinking of the 'Lucky Lucky Me' 12 which, I do believe, had the original mix as well as the inevitable bastardisations.

Actually, there are some other great tracks on that 'Motown Remembers Marvin Gaye' album - all buggered up by remixing, unfortunately ('Baby I'm Glad That Things Worked Out So Well', 'Just Like A Man' etc...) I did buy it and hung onto it for a while just because it had previously unreleased Marvin cuts on it, but in the end I couldn;t bear to have it in the house...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Marvin's version IS great. Just didn't need remixing in the 80s as they got it right the first time...

Four Tops version is great too, of course...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

12"

MGLL1001.jpg

7" One sided thing that came out during the Hinckley/Oddfellows time. About 84/85 ish?

MGLL2001.jpg

Gutting story. I bought the 7" out of a box that had a Frankie Beverley, and a Majestics in. Both at prices I could afford. But went with the Marvin, because it was hot at the time. And I loved it.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert