Charles Russell/new Image, It Ain't Easy

Hi Ady,

Can't confirm your question entirely but I presume you are aware it came out twice. Firstly on Psyche (darkish blue label & pressed on styrene) which is the rarer and superior mix. Secondly it came out on Bionic (light blue/turqouise label pressed on vinyl). The second one is certainly credited to New Image although I would have to dig both out to confirm exactly how the name appears. Hope that helps a little

Steve H :)

Social source share

I think it's exactly the same recording as the Psyche version which is ridiculously rare IMO. My guess is that the first version didn't sell anything and they got a whisper that people in the UK were looking for it so did a limited repress on bionic and assigned a different name. Don't know about any action on the Beach scene. Brilliant record!

Ian D

Social source share

Ian,

It's a different mix on Bionic... honest Guv :thumbsup:

Well, I've had 'em both at different times but never together unfortunately. I found 3 copies of Charles Russell in a super-duper dodgy Watts record shop shortly before I had to get out of the area @ 3.30pm (the golden rule: get out of Watts before the schools turn out). In the dodgy record shop I got talking to a black guy who then persuaded me to go see his mates 'great record collection'. This was in a house in what's now known locally as 'the jungle'. We disturbed a poker game which was being played by 5 local gangbangers and I got 3 guns levelled at me before everyone cooled down. Very very scary. In the end it turned out the guy's 'great collection' was about 50 beat up Jazz albums. I ended up buying a few just to get out of there in one piece.

The 3 Charles Russells and a Si Hightower remained intact luckily.

The Bionic reissue could be an interesting story. I wonder if someone like Bob Catanneo is still around? He'd probably be a good person to ask if he's still active........

Ian D :D

Social source share

The group say that the New Image version is a complete re-recording, but what I'm really asking is did it see any Northern action in the 70s or would any interest in the record from Europe have come from the "rare disco" scene of the time.

Ady, it certainly got Northern action as it was quite a huge Cleethorpes spin but I really don't know whether it got plays on the "disco" scene.

Best

Steve

Social source share

The group say that the New Image version is a complete re-recording, but what I'm really asking is did it see any Northern action in the 70s or would any interest in the record from Europe have come from the "rare disco" scene of the time.

It started off on a Soussan list so the only action on it in Europe was from the Northern scene period. There were very few copies in circulation but I seem to remember Colin spinning it @ the Mecca - maybe someone else can confirm? There would have been no more than 2 or 3 copies in the UK at that point and there was no rare Disco scene outside of the UK that I knew of back then. So UK only demand in my view.

Social source share

Ady, it certainly got Northern action as it was quite a huge Cleethorpes spin but I really don't know whether it got plays on the "disco" scene.

Best

Steve

I bet that was probably just after I split to the U.S. then, which was circa May '76. Deffo a Cleethorpes type record. My three copies didn't stick around long that's for sure.......

Social source share

Thanks Ian, I couldn't play the clips though. Can anyone send me an MP3 of it to compare ady.croasdell@btinternet.com

Was it ever booted on Psyche or is the chap mixing it up with the Bionic release?

Ady

Ady, I'm 99.9% sure it was never booted. Guess he could be getting mixed up with the Bionic release thinking it was a boot

Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Psyche release is from 1974 and has that early 7ts feel to it. I remember it being on a few dj play lists from the 7ts, which is the reason I picked up the Psyche copy on a record trip, but it didn't really think it was that good. The Bionic release is a different mix and has a later 7ts feel to it. I remember buying the Bionic copy (maybe around 1980) and thinking how bad it was compared to the Psyche version.

Today after playing them both together, I find them both dull records; can't really get on with that vocal on either versions.

It may have been rare for a few years in the 7ts, but today neither are that scarce.

Social source share

The Psyche release is from 1974 and has that early 7ts feel to it. I remember it being on a few dj play lists from the 7ts, which is the reason I picked up the Psyche copy on a record trip, but it didn't really think it was that good. The Bionic release is a different mix and has a later 7ts feel to it. I remember buying the Bionic copy (maybe around 1980) and thinking how bad it was compared to the Psyche version.

Today after playing them both together, I find them both dull records; can't really get on with that vocal on either versions.

I love the record. I think the production and arrangement are brilliant for a tiny West Coast label. You'd never get strings like that on a record these days.......

Anyway, here are the You Tube clips....

Charles Russell "It Ain't Easy" Psyche

New Image feat Charles Russell "It Ain't Easy" Bionic

Social source share

It may have been rare for a few years in the 7ts, but today neither are that scarce.

I'm inclined to agree with Ian. I think it's a great tune, always loved it. I think the Psyche release could be harder to find than you think though. I haven't seen it listed for ages and it's certainly not a track that appears on sales lists on a regular basis. Seems to book anywhere between £200 -£300 so it must be at least "scarce" if not on the "rare" side. My own opinion of course :hatsoff2:

Steve

Social source share

i could ave had a pysiche copy for £150..

Snag it. I concurr with Soulman. I think it's a lot rarer than people think. I spent 6 months in L.A. hitting shops everyday of the week and only found those 3 copies in one shop and that was 35 years ago. Worth it for that mighty Dave Crawford arrangement alone!

Social source share

Ady, I sent you recordings of both on CD. The New Image is a rerecording not a remix. There is no vocal group on the Charles Russell version, he does all overdubs. He told me they rerecorded it due to northern demand, the new image version has his vocal group on it.

Social source share

Ady, I sent you recordings of both on CD. The New Image is a rerecording not a remix. There is no vocal group on the Charles Russell version, he does all overdubs. He told me they rerecorded it due to northern demand, the new image version has his vocal group on it.

Thanks for confirming Bob. I couldn't see any demand coming from anywhere else to be honest........

I'll tell you what though - I'm staggered that they would have re-recorded it. They had most of it down first time around so I don't know why they'd need to do the whole thing again. It doesn't really make sense, especially to sell just a few hundred copies. I'll have a real close listen to both recordings again and see if there's any major changes 'cos it's my guess they remixed and over-dubbed whatever Charles says......

Social source share

also, they later did a 3rd reworking of the song, a disco track called "burning with fire". they test pressed it onto 12" with no labels, I transferred it from one of the 12"s that they let me borrow.

Wow. I'd love to hear that. It sounds right up my street. Is it any good bearing in mind it's a Disco track.....?

Social source share

Thanks for confirming Bob. I couldn't see any demand coming from anywhere else to be honest........

I'll tell you what though - I'm staggered that they would have re-recorded it. They had most of it down first time around so I don't know why they'd need to do the whole thing again. It doesn't really make sense, especially to sell just a few hundred copies. I'll have a real close listen to both recordings again and see if there's any major changes 'cos it's my guess they remixed and over-dubbed whatever Charles says......

I think the "demand" was probably one person contacting them asking for copies, which they didn't have any more of, so they recorded it again. They put a lot of money into the recordings, they paid top LA session musicians (including wah wah watson, etc.) to play on them. The other new image 45 has really cool psychedelic tracks on both sides.

the disco track is sort of cheesy, it's similar but they added the disco laser noises and extended it, etc. I can send it to you if you don't circulate it.

Social source share

I think the "demand" was probably one person contacting them asking for copies, which they didn't have any more of, so they recorded it again. They put a lot of money into the recordings, they paid top LA session musicians (including wah wah watson, etc.) to play on them. The other new image 45 has really cool psychedelic tracks on both sides.

the disco track is sort of cheesy, it's similar but they added the disco laser noises and extended it, etc. I can send it to you if you don't circulate it.

Mmm. Interesting thread this.

I always thought that someone invested heavily in the first recording what with using a full string section and hiring Dave Crawford for the arrangement (just before he went on to produce Candi Staton's "Young Hearts Run Free"). The investment was really all in the original recording, which is basically magnificent. It all went wrong when they pressed it and attempted to distribute it. Amateur hour since it had almost zero distribution in L.A. and presumably zero promotion as well. So it never stood a chance.

They were actually lucky that Simon Soussan managed to stumble into it and put it on a tape of unknowns for a new list he was doing circa '75 (along with stuff like Eddie Daniels, Lee Mitchell etc). When we heard that tape in the UK we discussed the tracks that we liked but the problem with Soussan is that no one knew if he had a game-plan for everything that was on there and bootlegs might turn up 2 weeks later. So everything (even the great stuff) was viewed with a patina of suspicion at the time. Quite rightly so as it usually turned out.

As it happens, only a copy or two of the record ever arrived in the UK at the time and I'm pretty sure Curtis ended up with one, which is probably where I heard it out first. I was desperate for a copy to play out right up until I actually emigrated to the U.S.

When I got to L.A. in May '76 and met Soussan, one of the first records I asked about was Charles Russell and he told me that he couldn't get any more copies and it was a rare record despite being only 2 years old at the time. When I found those 3 copies in a shop after a few months in L.A. I was over the moon.

So I've always dug the record but it really never took off for some reason.

Also I've listened to both recordings now and I'm pretty sure that the original master was used on the New Image release. It's been remixed plus some overdubs, but there's no way that they could replicate the original so closely and why would they anyway? The original recording would have cost in the region of $3-4000 at the time with the people involved, so I reckon that Charles figured there'd be more cache if he told people it was a brand new recording. It just doesn't make sense to junk such a great (and expensive) original recording with some serious people like Dave Crawford involved - he would have been $1000 in cash for a start........ :lol:

When Charles got a whisper that there was some action in the UK, that obviously gave him the incentive to try another release and attempt to recoup the outlay on the original version. The fact that he went for it again with a Disco version shows he had real belief in the track.

And yes. I'd love to listen in depth to the Disco version. I'll almost definitely wanna play it on my show because a lot of my audience love Soulful Disco but I promise I won't share the file with anyone.

That'll be 2 favours I owe you then! :lol:

Social source share

Maybe they reused the backing track but the new image definitely has rerecorded vocals. The first version crediting charles russell had just charles on overdub. The new image version has an actual vocal group (members of the image on janus) singing. Also, your theory about them blowing all their cash on the first recording isn't totally true because they also put in a lot of money into the other new image 45 -- who needs a.d. / midnight walker. it has the same motown musicians on it and it's an awesome psychedelic track. it's also a record about angel dust that predates gil scott heron's angel dust.

Social source share

I think $25-$50

I think it's actually a better version, the first version is just more indemand for rarity / historical reasons

Cheers Boba , the reason I asked is that I won one on ebay for $13.50 the other day but didn't know it just liked the label :lol: .

Thanks

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe they reused the backing track but the new image definitely has rerecorded vocals. The first version crediting charles russell had just charles on overdub. The new image version has an actual vocal group (members of the image on janus) singing. Also, your theory about them blowing all their cash on the first recording isn't totally true because they also put in a lot of money into the other new image 45 -- who needs a.d. / midnight walker. it has the same motown musicians on it and it's an awesome psychedelic track. it's also a record about angel dust that predates gil scott heron's angel dust.

Oh for sure there's fresh vocals on there Bob, but I'm pretty sure they've over-dubbed onto the existing recording. I'm not complaining by any means. The only version I have over here is the original and now I want to hear the New Image version on a decent file because the You Tube clip isn't that clear audio wise.

And it doesn't surprise me that they have other good recordings at all. The reason why I love "It Ain't Easy" is because I've always thought it was a masterpiece. It's one of my favorite records of all time. Certainly in my top 500 that's for sure LOL...

Now it's slowly becoming apparent why. Charles had a world-class arranger on board with Dave Crawford and presumably used all the top notch L.A. black session musicians like Wah Wah Watson etc, etc. He hung in good circles which is why the record is great.

If Charles wanted to get some visibility then now is probably a good time. I feel there's a really interesting story there and I'm so glad Ady's using this track on Masterpieces 3. I can't think of a better inclusion.

Get me the stems and I'll get a killer re-edit done!

Charle's would f*ckin' love that. :lol:

Social source share

Oh for sure there's fresh vocals on there Bob, but I'm pretty sure they've over-dubbed onto the existing recording. I'm not complaining by any means. The only version I have over here is the original and now I want to hear the New Image version on a decent file because the You Tube clip isn't that clear audio wise.

And it doesn't surprise me that they have other good recordings at all. The reason why I love "It Ain't Easy" is because I've always thought it was a masterpiece. It's one of my favorite records of all time. Certainly in my top 500 that's for sure LOL...

Now it's slowly becoming apparent why. Charles had a world-class arranger on board with Dave Crawford and presumably used all the top notch L.A. black session musicians like Wah Wah Watson etc, etc. He hung in good circles which is why the record is great.

If Charles wanted to get some visibility then now is probably a good time. I feel there's a really interesting story there and I'm so glad Ady's using this track on Masterpieces 3. I can't think of a better inclusion.

Get me the stems and I'll get a killer re-edit done!

Charle's would f*ckin' love that. :lol:

his brother raymond produced the recording. i think he was a psychologist or psychiatrist (or something related) which is why "psych" was the record label.

they didn't want to send their tapes over to me to be transferred so I don't have the basic tracks. I would have loved to have their other 45 as instrumental, both sides are awesome. I don't know if they sent the tapes to ace/kent.

i pmed you asking for your email address.

this is the best charles russell 45, one of the greatest sweet soul 45s of all time:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

i could ave had a pysiche copy for £150..

I've sold 2 copies on Psyche within the past couple of years Mark - one for £250 and i think the other for £275 so £150 is well worth taking up on

I've always liked the record - John Manship always included it in his sets at Cleethorpes

Social source share

Sorry Bob, I should have A/Bed them before.

Yes the Bionic is a re-recording with full group and a similar but different lead to the Psyche version. Psyche is much better, longer, cleaner and much better constructed as a song, they messed up the breaks and chorus/verse structure on the re-release. I can see vocal group fans preferring it though, just for the fact of the group. It took some analysing though, just listening to You Tube versions wouldn't really tell you either way.

The disco version is OK, I'm not into it, you might dig it Ian, it takes a while for the chorus to come in and it's cute when it does. I can picture you in the gold lamE suit dancing to this one.

I'd not describe the New Image Psyche 45 as psychedelic at all, its soul of its era (mid 70s?) with a slightly electric funk influence. OK of its kind but not for me.

Thanks for all the input Bob and the rest of ya.

Social source share

Bob, have you ever seen a copy of New Image 'Who Needs A.D.' on Psyche?

Yeah I have it. it's hard to find but not super rare and not expensive when it comes up. It's not known though and pretty cool, I think it would be worth more if known as there are a large group of collectors that like that funky psychedelic sound.

Social source share

I had a copy and sold it with all my "mobile disco" stuff to Ian Clarke. Don't know if he still has it stashed somewhere but I thought it was garbage compared to It Aint Easy. Do you want to borrow both copies (Psyche and Bionic) Ady? Can get them down to you if you wish

Steve

Social source share

I had a copy and sold it with all my "mobile disco" stuff to Ian Clarke. Don't know if he still has it stashed somewhere but I thought it was garbage compared to It Aint Easy. Do you want to borrow both copies (It Aint Easy - Psyche and Bionic) Ady? Can get them down to you if you wish

Steve

Social source share

I had a copy and sold it with all my "mobile disco" stuff to Ian Clarke. Don't know if he still has it stashed somewhere but I thought it was garbage compared to It Aint Easy. Do you want to borrow both copies (It Aint Easy - Psyche and Bionic) Ady? Can get them down to you if you wish

Steve

No thanks, I was just interested if it got pressed up

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!