Absoloutely Useless Records Which Soul Snobs Like

Pete S

Some would say the snobbery has kept the scene decent, and its when the snobbery is overwritten that you get a scene not worth having, I take it you would prefer a scene full of passers by that wont hang around?

As Dan said on another thread (sortof, excuse me for paraphrasing you Dan) we dont think we are better than non soul fans, we know.

Jock

Go on Jock !

ZTSC (Zero Tolerence Soul Club) 5 percenters ! (are you there Joan?)

Kev J

Social source share

• Replies 163
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Some would say the snobbery has kept the scene decent, and its when the snobbery is overwritten that you get a scene not worth having, I take it you would prefer a scene full of passers by that wont hang around?

As Dan said on another thread (sortof, excuse me for paraphrasing you Dan) we dont think we are better than non soul fans, we know.

Jock

Yes but it is that snobbery that will lead to the terminal decline of this "decent scene" in the next few years.... just look at the average age of those who attend now and the relative lack of young enthusiasts.

How do you know newcomers would not hang around?

Don't quite see the point in your last phrase.

Suppose you could! what i was getting at was say if the quality of records being spun was in the same vein as Paula Parot-shit and no diversity, then my god i would walk away and never come back! :D

Not sure what you mean about 'snobbery alienating people' :D

Didnt PP add diversity then? :D

And I think you do know what I mean! :D

Social source share

Sorry but this seems to be going totally off topic again and yet another argument brewing. Lets just stick to the title "useless Records" not get into the discussion again about youngsters/ oldsters/ who goes where cos of what/alienation ...... STICK TO THE TOPIC....... thank you

Social source share

Sorry but this seems to be going totally off topic again and yet another argument brewing. Lets just stick to the title "useless Records" not get into the discussion again about youngsters/ oldsters/ who goes where cos of what/alienation ...... STICK TO THE TOPIC....... thank you

Sorry Mandy, but the topic title also included a reference to soul snobbery.... that was the topic I thought I was on! :D:D

Social source share

Yes but it is that snobbery that will lead to the terminal decline of this "decent scene" in the next few years.... just look at the average age of those who attend now and the relative lack of young enthusiasts.

Totally disagree mate - but who cares. You sound like you have "some doubts" about our music are you in or out Dave ?

Do you know the lads from Soulville and their mates - bang into it and very young (I think) - just how we like them !!!!!!!!

Didnt PP add diversity then? :D

And I think you do know what I mean! :D

Social source share

dont forget Nick

and then there's the members who clicked on your post thinking was gonna get something remotly connected to orig topic

:D

Seventeen off topic posts on this thread and I get quoted for a two word post I apologised in advance for.

Cheers Mike :D

Social source share

You must've turned right on the M6 and ended up in Moss Side's Reno Club , got hooked on reggae (10 years too late coz we used to listen to that Sca stuff when we were little skin heads) and missed all the good , proper black music Pete.

You don't need me to tell what's good about it - you either got it or you haven't mate

Oh right, well you really learned a lot thinking you were listening to sca (sic) as a skinhead didn't you, seeing as how no ska had been produced for 3 years when skinheads first appeared, and seeing as I bought my first one in 1971 I wasn't that far off, I apologise for being born too late though. And I've got the best taste in music on this entire site anyway so this sort of stuff goes right over my head...

Social source share

I know Jamie and Rich well mate... top blokes :D

Not so much doubts about the music as misgivings about the scene....and as I go out twice most weekends, travelling a long way to attend events, I'll let you judge whether I'm "in or out" :D

Social source share

Sorry Mandy, but the topic title also included a reference to soul snobbery.... that was the topic I thought I was on! :D:D

Read the title again Dave, "absolutely useless records which soul snobs like" - suppose it could mean about soul snobbery but think it's just about the useless records really ... well that's what I think anyway ... but hey what do I know :D

Social source share

Whoever nominated Fascinating Girl copied that off me in a previous worst record ever competition :D

We need to have a "worst violin solo in a record" thread. George lemons comes close but Please Stay by The Ivorys has an even worse one. The rest of the that record is brilliant though.

Social source share

You know what? Each record we listen to means something to someone. What I absolutely adore will reside in someones head as absolute shit.

We're all here on common ground though, let's not forget that.

It's important, I believe, not to label any of our soul sounds blanketly as shit. We all joined this soul scene because of our love of the first record we ever heard.

I think we should be celebratory of that. That we are all different, that we keep alive the excitement of particular records, soul genres and ethics.

We all play a very important part in the longevity of this underground music scene and if we're not careful, we shall bury it with us karen_bridges02.gif

Social source share

Oh right, well you really learned a lot thinking you were listening to sca (sic) as a skinhead didn't you, seeing as how no ska had been produced for 3 years when skinheads first appeared, and seeing as I bought my first one in 1971 I wasn't that far off, I apologise for being born too late though. And I've got the best taste in music on this entire site anyway so this sort of stuff goes right over my head...

Who mentioned "first appeared" you don't know how old I am.

It goes over your head coz you're on the wrong site mate (ever been to Reno's by the way ?)

Social source share

Not so much doubts about the music as misgivings about the scene

Thing is its differnt when were all out together, yeah we'll sit here and slag records/genres ect off about the scene and it does come accross slightly differnt in black and white (smilies or not) when writen on here! but at the end of the day, there is no misgivings when its a room full of people having a good time :D

Social source share

As I dont want to upset Mandy will make this my last word on subject

If the newcomers dont get into the snobbery about the music then some would argue they dont get the scene in the first place, we've debated this before, changing the scene and the people purely to attract new people with no regard for taste means its not a decent scene anymore, thats assuming it still is a decent scene.

If you are meaning snobbery to the people then different thing, cant comment on that nowadays, it was a problem in the good old days but then once people got through the hard time most of them are still connected to the music, so its a double edged sword in many ways.

My last paragraph, which still seems clear to me, was saying I think being into soul music has made me better than people who are not, and has certainly made me better friends than if I was not, if that makes me a snob, lock me up and throw the key away.

Jock

PS ignored the right wing comment earlier but think you will find many people fitting into this musical bag are anything but that, however if you mean they dictate only good soul should be played they have my vote.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

I'll start: no surprise here.

George Hobson - Let it be real.

Anyone who can possibly prefer this to Paula Parfitt must have something wrong with them. :D

. Hello whoever you are.It seems a shame that you are so bitter about northern soul.Soul gives a lot of people ,especially on "soulsource" a lot of pleasure.You seem to need something else that may interest you.Have you tried ..........line dancing ...it might be more your interest....Try not to just be negative but constructive...look through the yellow pages for help.I know you think you are God ,but try again.ATB Steve

Social source share

Read the title again Dave, "absolutely useless records which soul snobs like" - suppose it could mean about soul snobbery but think it's just about the useless records really ... well that's what I think anyway ... but hey what do I know :D

Right, what the header means is - records which are in fact rubbish but people pretend to like them or SAY they like them just because their mates do and they will get thought of being a somehow lesser person if they admit that they can't see the magic and charm of a particular record. Really good northern records like Can't help Loving You or Woman Love Thief or Chapter Five are an insult to them because they are by white artists and that in itself makes them bad, non-soul records for a start. Unfortunately the soul snobs don't remember or realise that there's a big difference in soul and northern soul, nor do they remember the scenes best days ever, the mid 70's, when anything may have gone but people enjoyed themselves without having to analize what they could listen to beforehand.

I just can't get my head round people who want to try and deny that the past ever happened. Paula Parfitt is no great shakes but it reminds me of a really great time in my life so why should I put it on the scrapheap now I'm old just because it doesn't fit into what is acceptable nowadays.

Anyway who makes up the rules?

Nice to get a decent debate going anyway :D

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

. Hello whoever you are.It seems a shame that you are so bitter about northern soul.Soul gives a lot of people ,especially on "soulsource" a lot of pleasure.You seem to need something else that may interest you.Have you tried ..........line dancing ...it might be more your interest....Try not to just be negative but constructive...look through the yellow pages for help.I know you think you are God ,but try again.ATB Steve

Steve. Shove your yellow pages up your **** you condescending git.

Social source share

Thing is its differnt when were all out together, yeah we'll sit here and slag records/genres ect off about the scene and it does come accross slightly differnt in black and white (smilies or not) when writen on here! but at the end of the day, there is no misgivings when its a room full of people having a good time :D

Isn't that what I said, but with different words :D

I hope someone read what I posted.. it was from the bottom of my heart karen_bridges12.gif

Social source share

Who mentioned "first appeared" you don't know how old I am.

It goes over your head coz you're on the wrong site mate (ever been to Reno's by the way ?)

You insinuated you listened to ska before me, as a skinhead - so that was between 1969 and 1971. Either that or between 78 and 81, in which case you didn't listen to it before me, did you?

make your mind up.

Social source share

Oi you two, take this out to the playground please :D

Well that's the only reason he comes on here - makes himself a sitting duck SADDO OR WHAT ?

Social source share

Steve. Shove your yellow pages up your **** you condescending git.

No need for this really ... Pete you can give out the criticism but you're not very good at taking it are you. If you can't take it, you really shouldn't dish it out. If you've finished slagging people off just because they don't like what you like then I suggest you go play your ska records and forget about the northern scene.

I apologise to Mike and team but this bloke just gets my back up everytime he starts :angry:

Edited by Mandy
Social source share

Agreed mate. :D

Meant misgivings re the the future attendees.

Social source share

No need for this really ... Pete you can give out the criticism but you're not very good at taking it are you.

Oh right, so he can insult me but I can't reply back, yes?

If you're going to start that game again, where I can't reply, then I'm taking my ball back home.

Nice one.

Social source share

Had time to sleep on this and am reopening it mainly because of Winston so thank him :D

Sorry I closed it but I wasn't prepared to have that scenario repeated where someone has a pop at me and I get bollocked for retaliating. Some people only ever read one side!

Anyway, I've got another terrible record for you to analise, this one is as bad as or worse than George lemons:

bugger I've forgot the artist...Dancing a Hole in the World.

Social source share

nice one pete.

can i ask all to do their best to keep this thread on topic and refrain from personal attacks. this thread was enjoyed by many but spoilt by the minority yesterday. let's not go down that road again.

cheers

Shane

ps. i agree pete, that dancing a hole in the world is pants. :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Being part of the Northern Soul condisendi from a very young age, but having plenty of mates who listen to a miriad of other types of music, I'd just say:

Even the worst Northern Soul record (Airplane Song, Peanut Duck, Thats Why I :D Love You)

is better than most 'good' records from other genre's.

I guess that means I'm a soul snob as I think WE are the royalty in terms of our musical preferences.

Also there isnt one record mentioned (Apart from the 3 I just have) on this entire thread that isnt brilliant, and doesnt deserve to be played at a Soul night or allnighter. NOT 1.

Ascots, BOBBY KLINE is top drawer, Jan Jones, Mello Souls and on and on. You could play a spot with every record mentioned here (On ORIG only :D ) and I'd wager on a pretty responsive dancefloor.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Right, what the header means is - records which are in fact rubbish but people pretend to like them or SAY they like them just because their mates do and they will get thought of being a somehow lesser person if they admit that they can't see the magic and charm of a particular record. Really good northern records like Can't help Loving You or Woman Love Thief or Chapter Five are an insult to them because they are by white artists and that in itself makes them bad, non-soul records for a start. Unfortunately the soul snobs don't remember or realise that there's a big difference in soul and northern soul, nor do they remember the scenes best days ever, the mid 70's, when anything may have gone but people enjoyed themselves without having to analize what they could listen to beforehand.

I just can't get my head round people who want to try and deny that the past ever happened. Paula Parfitt is no great shakes but it reminds me of a really great time in my life so why should I put it on the scrapheap now I'm old just because it doesn't fit into what is acceptable nowadays.

Anyway who makes up the rules?

Nice to get a decent debate going anyway :D

I did write a reasond reply to this, until you closed the thread :D (which was understandable :D )

Woman Lover Thief, great record IMO :D But Chapter five is a big pair of pantylooms! awful record.

Social source share

Had time to sleep on this and am reopening it mainly because of Winston so thank him :D

Sorry I closed it but I wasn't prepared to have that scenario repeated where someone has a pop at me and I get bollocked for retaliating. Some people only ever read one side!

Anyway, I've got another terrible record for you to analise, this one is as bad as or worse than George lemons:

Thanks Pete for letting us play with your ball again :D

biggest pants recently heard is that Donna Colman cover up... I just cant understand what all the hype about it is, it seems sort of "Average" :D

Social source share

I did write a reasond reply to this, until you closed the thread :D (which was understandable :D )

Woman Lover Thief, great record IMO :D But Chapter five is a big pair of pantylooms! awful record.

About 6 months ago it was decreed that anyone who quoted the Stemmons Express song title incorrectly, like you have done, would be banished. It's LOVE not LOVER :D

Social source share

About 6 months ago it was decreed that anyone who quoted the Stemmons Express song title incorrectly, like you have done, would be banished. It's LOVE not LOVER :D

Woman LOVER Thief sounds better :D

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Mr Smif me old mate :D

Never heard the record so cant comment?

What was that "Stop The World I Wanna Get Off" all about ?

Social source share