Pete S

• Replies 163
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

You must've been for a balti last night , got pissed , got some naan bread stuff in your lug and listened to George Hobson. Take out the naan bread and LISTEN !

It's not about being a snob. This sounded brilliant the first time it was played at Wigan and still sounds class today. NAAN BREAD EARS !

Something for those nan bread ears,and played at Wigan,so bad i love it........ :D

post-1986-1131534883_thumb.jpgam i a soul snob?you bet`ya........

:D

Social source share

Being part of the Northern Soul condisendi from a very young age, but having plenty of mates who listen to a miriad of other types of music, I'd just say:

Even the worst Northern Soul record (Airplane Song, Peanut Duck, Thats Why I :D Love You)

is better than most 'good' records from other genre's.

I guess that means I'm a soul snob as I think WE are the royalty in terms of our musical preferences.

Sorry Mike, but that's a truly bizarre statement. If you think a piece of music is horrid, then it's horrid to you regardless of the "genre". If there's a prevailing attitude of "oh well, it's played on the soul scene, so it must be alright" then that betrays a real lack of musical discernment and underlines the whole point of Pete's thread. That is, that far too many sub-standard records are tolerated simply because they are

(a) rare (or perceived to be so)

( cool.gif expensive (which many people seem to believe bestows a record with quality - the Northern Soul scene is stuffed full of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing)

© played by a "big name" DJ - which brings the sheep instinct out in the punters - someone with a real passion may have been championing a tune for ages to an empty dancefloor and punters moaning at the poor sap to "play something we know for fooks sake", then as soon as the big name latches onto that tune, it suddenly becomes the best thing they've ever heard

Pete, maybe you're missing Remus mate! I think your taste can be appalling, but then that's bacause may taste is impeccable! But I'm with you all the way on this....................oh yeah, I think that Paula Parfitt is a far better NORTHERN SOUL RECORD than a lot of crap that gets plugged, such as that "Deceived" by Ruby..........what the hell is that mess all about?

Answers on a postcard please..................

Social source share

here you are Pete just for you and time served connoiseurs of the soul world... :D

See when I hear that record I don't cover my ears and start screaming "nooooooo!!!!!", I immediately think of hearing it at Wigan at 3 in the morning and it sounding great, and dancing to it, and seeing everyone else dancing to it, so therefore I equate it with a happy time in my life. I don't think, wow this must have been recorded in London with several white session men all of whom had beards and long sideburns, it would have been better if it was by a black girl from the projects in Detroit.

Paula Parfitt now lives in Greece by the way.

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Something for those nan bread ears,and played at Wigan,so bad i love it........ :D

post-1986-1131534883_thumb.jpgam i a soul snob?you bet`ya........

:D

Not being old enough to have gone. But I find it hard to believe that crap like this was played ? Whos baby was this then ?

Social source share

Sorry Mike, but that's a truly bizarre statement. If you think a piece of music is horrid, then it's horrid to you regardless of the "genre". If there's a prevailing attitude of "oh well, it's played on the soul scene, so it must be alright" then that betrays a real lack of musical discernment and underlines the whole point of Pete's thread. That is, that far too many sub-standard records are tolerated simply because they are

(a) rare (or perceived to be so)

( cool.gif expensive (which many people seem to believe bestows a record with quality - the Northern Soul scene is stuffed full of people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing)

© played by a "big name" DJ - which brings the sheep instinct out in the punters - someone with a real passion may have been championing a tune for ages to an empty dancefloor and punters moaning at the poor sap to "play something we know for fooks sake", then as soon as the big name latches onto that tune, it suddenly becomes the best thing they've ever heard

Pete, maybe you're missing Remus mate! I think your taste can be appalling, but then that's bacause may taste is impeccable! But I'm with you all the way on this....................oh yeah, I think that Paula Parfitt is a far better NORTHERN SOUL RECORD than a lot of crap that gets plugged, such as that "Deceived" by Ruby..........what the hell is that mess all about?

Allelujah!!!!

p.s. I don't miss Remus

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Chapter five is a big pair of pantylooms! awful record.

Too blimmin' right. Squeaky load of nonsense. Love Stemmons Express. Hilariously some people slag Cajun Hart for being too white but I know a few people who loved it because they thought it sounds like Terry Callier. :D

As for Pete's right to reply, when Pete insults someone on here its generally tongue in cheek, some people fail to recognise that or half the other wind ups that go on. If I was to suggest an explanation as to why they'd probably be insulted. I dread to think what it was like in their school playground, wrapped up in cotton wool for break time. :D

Right, got that off my chest, Johnny On The Spot, thats utter pants that is. As bad as that Rufus Lumley on Holton. :D:D Cue Mikey

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

oh yeah, I think that Paula Parfitt is a far better NORTHERN SOUL RECORD than a lot of crap that gets plugged, such as that "Deceived" by Ruby..........what the hell is that mess all about?

I reckon I could get this on the back of a postcard:

"That Deceived is bloody brilliant, a wonderfully structured and executed record."

Now can anyone tell me the link between Ruby and the instrumental Malty Papa on Silver Token?

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Too blimmin' right. Squeaky load of nonsense. Love Stemmons Express. Hilariously some people slag Cajun Hart for being too white but I know a few people who loved it because they thought it sounds like Terry Callier. :D

As for Pete's right to reply, when Pete insults someone on here its generally tongue in cheek, some people fail to recognise that or half the other wind ups that go on. If I was to suggest an explanation as to why they'd probably be insulted. I dread to think what it was like in their school playground, wrapped up in cotton wool for break time. :D

Right, got that off my chest, Johnny On The Spot, thats utter pants that is. As bad as that Rufus Lumley on Holton. :D:D Cue Mikey

Make you right on Johnny how ever the flip is great (IMVHO)

Social source share

I reckon I could get this on the back of a postcard:

"That Deceived is bloody brilliant, a wonderfully structured and executed record."

You'll do for me Stuart :D

Social source share