The Vanguards Vs The Stoppers

Guest Dan

or do these two records sound very similar?

it's like the vanguards were listening to the stoppers on the car stereo on the way over to the studio

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

it's like the vanguards were listening to the stoppers on the car stereo on the way over to the studio

Stoppers is far superiour to Vangaurds whistling.gif

Social source share

Both superb records IMO whistling.gif

sort of connected but often wondered so thought throw in :shhh:

have heard other versions by roddie joy, jaggerz and think someone else

who did orig of come back baby?

on orig question

similar style but not that similar that would pair them both

so maybe just you Dan... or maybe just me.... :)

Edited by mike-
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Vanguards for me , The Stoppers version is not even the best imo, Roddie Joy's is I'm sure Pete S will agree as the record is white and dripping in pop

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

vanguards for me everytime whistling.gif but the stoppers brings back fond memory's at droylsden

Edited by Gringo
Social source share

sort of connected but often wondered so thought throw in whistling.gif

have heard other versions by roddie joy, jaggerz and think someone else

who did orig of come back baby?

From the Stoppers label, it was produced by one of the writters and so it might be the original version? Weren't Jublee and Red Bird NY labels whereas the Vanguards I think is is Indiana, so doubt there much of a connection between the groups, unless it was the same Jimmy on both vocals?

Social source share

isnt that one a "recent" version, a cd with stuff like "open the door" etc

off toh so maybe not

just listened now, sure it is

think there a similar 70s retro version of it never be over for me on it as well

midnighters lead singer innit?

Edited by mike-
Social source share

Not asa good as Stoppers/Roddy Joy, but I quite like it................................its ok just my opinion.

Any one have any info on this version pse.

Russ

russ

sure its a recent cd release by the ex lead singer of the midnighters, mentioned a couple of other tracks on it above

hang on....

Social source share

yeah

making up for lost time is cd

up on amazon can listen to clips there

link below

memory says the three obvious ones are highlights, all 3 similar 70s retro feel imo

Tracks:

1. Open The Door To Your Heart
  2. Don't Let Me Lose This Dream
  3. Come Back Baby
  4. Here I Go Again
  5. Make Up For The Lost Time
  6. It'll Never Be Over For Me
  7. Joy In The Palace
  8. (I Wanna) Testify
  9. These Hands (Small But Mighty)
  10. To Be With You
  11. Cultura
  12. A World Where No One Cries
Social source share

yeah

making up for lost time is cd

up on amazon can listen to clips there

link below

memory says the three obvious ones are highlights, all 3 similar 70s retro feel imo

Tracks:

1. Open The Door To Your Heart
  2. Don't Let Me Lose This Dream
  3. Come Back Baby
  4. Here I Go Again
  5. Make Up For The Lost Time
  6. It'll Never Be Over For Me
  7. Joy In The Palace
  8. (I Wanna) Testify
  9. These Hands (Small But Mighty)
  10. To Be With You
  11. Cultura
  12. A World Where No One Cries

Cheers Mike :thumbsup:

Russ

Social source share

Have got both the Stoppers and Roddie Joy 45's, but only ever seem to play the Red Bird release, remember Joe Dutton had a Canadian demo of Roddie Joy, wish i had bought that now, great 45'.

Brett

Social source share

The Stoppers was a big record among LA's "Cholo" community, apparently. Latino kids with long key-chains and low-riding motors. This was a big market for a lot of 'rare' black harmony group records from all eras up until the early 80s, when hip-hop seemed to become their music of choice. So as well as the beach music scene there was also a reasonably large Angeleno fan-base for the kinds of records we were searching for too.

On the merits of the two records: give me The Vanguards every time. This sent shivers up my spine when I first heard it. Over-familiarity may have dulled its' edge, but, my god, has there ever been more soulful group-singing on a dancefloor smash? I include the likes of the Dells and Masqueraders in this analysis and await the inevitable flak...

Social source share

The Stoppers is a nice record but I don't think it is very similar to the Vanguards. The Vanguards is perhaps played out here and there, but whatever the case I think it is easily one of the best records to go big on the soul scene in recent years.

Social source share

The Stoppers was a big record among LA's "Cholo" community, apparently. Latino kids with long key-chains and low-riding motors. This was a big market for a lot of 'rare' black harmony group records from all eras up until the early 80s, when hip-hop seemed to become their music of choice. So as well as the beach music scene there was also a reasonably large Angeleno fan-base for the kinds of records we were searching for too.

On the merits of the two records: give me The Vanguards every time. This sent shivers up my spine when I first heard it. Over-familiarity may have dulled its' edge, but, my god, has there ever been more soulful group-singing on a dancefloor smash? I include the likes of the Dells and Masqueraders in this analysis and await the inevitable flak...

no fair shout gareth though my immediate thought as i read the post was 'same thing'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!