Do You Ever Buy Your 45s Blind?

Ive bought a good few records without having heard them first.. I got Little Melvin & the Boleros' jealous lover on valarie having not heard it before and the anticipation alone was worth paying for, the record turned out to be damn fine too!

The thing is these days with ebay and alike you can take risks with your purchases as you can always sell them on again, and sometimes making a profit!

Antony

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ive bought a good few records without having heard them first.. I got Little Melvin & the Boleros' jealous lover on valarie having not heard it before and the anticipation alone was worth paying for, the record turned out to be damn fine too!

The thing is these days with ebay and alike you can take risks with your purchases as you can always sell them on again, and sometimes making a profit!

Antony

yep, i've bought a few on the strength of what they look like, hence why i'm the proud owner of a country music collection ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Antony

Yeah bought a few but got glasses now ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Antony

Ive bought quite a few things without hearing them off Rod Dearlove`s "Voices" lists. He puts little comments next to a lot of them about what it sounds like ect. Hell take them back if you dont like them but up to now ive been really happy with whats turned up.

Trev

Social source share

Shouldn't this thread be called 'Do You Ever Buy Your 45's Deaf'?

I brought a record in the 70's simply because Dave Godin was raving about it in Blues & Soul 'My Pearl' by Automatic Man!! Rushed straight down to the record shop and there is was in stock, paid for it, took it home stuck it on the record player - it was awful!! That was the one and only time I played it until about 2 years ago and I found it while sorting through a load of records I had not done anything with, so thinking it may have got better with age, I gave it another spin!! It was still bloody awful!

Cheers

Paddy

Social source share

Bought various items in Oxfam and the like if they had US labels or otherwise looked interesting and they all, without exception, were total junk! C+W, folk, etc. Bought a record in a charity shop by a group called the Emotional Upsets because its title was 'Maintain Your Cool'. Was it the same as the Volumes track? Nope! Oh, well one day... thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I suppose I have been lucky to have been around long enough to see record prices collapse as well as escalate. In 1978 many of the real oldies were not bringing any money and at one soul noght I picked up a handfull of original at about 50p each from a Torch Waller as he told me they were good.

He told the truth and I ended up with a mint copy of Mel Torme (Not that its my cup of tea today) Coming home baby, Ko Ko Taylor - Fire, Fontella Bass - Recovery and a few more that I eventually sold for about a 1000% profit when they were back in demand.

What goes around comes around, so save your dosh and pick off the bargains sooner or later.

Ed

Social source share

yep, i've bought a few on the strength of what they look like, hence why i'm the proud owner of a country music collection thumbsup.gif

Ady, how true that is, they are always, always bleeding C&W records! Why? You avoid the one with Nashville written on the label buying some odd-ball looking label from West Grand Boulavard, Detroit and it stillturns out to be a C&W song!

Social source share

in the 70's it was quite often the only way you could buy as nowhere to play them and they were only 10p to 50p so it was not that great a risk, still buy blind of ebay a lot most have been good but tend to be more than 50p though,

best buy of last couple of years has been johnny vanelli something to sleep on blue dolphin.

mark

Social source share

I Buy most of mine blind, as i dont get out enough to hear new stuff ,go a lot on recomendations Best one I got blind Peppermint harris wait till it hapens to you Had No idea what is was till i played it even a bigger shock was how much it was going for. 100s of dross but dont pay a lot if buying blind,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert