As A "newie" To This (brill) Soul Reference Site

steve z

I have made a number of observations :thumbsup: Quite a number of posts are related to "are you with me or against me" :P I am gonna keep this short .When someone plays a tune to me and I don't like it ..What on Earth gives me the right to use an expletive .I simply say "thanks for the opportunity to listen" not my cuppa.If "they" play a tune I like then ...WOW ..just wanna have one.To me the chance to hear something I do not know totally defeats.."records you like or not"questions.Steve Z

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I have made a number of observations :thumbsup: Quite a number of posts are related to "are you with me or against me" :P I am gonna keep this short .When someone plays a tune to me and I don't like it ..What on Earth gives me the right to use an expletive .I simply say "thanks for the opportunity to listen" not my cuppa.If "they" play a tune I like then ...WOW ..just wanna have one.To me the chance to hear something I do not know totally defeats.."records you like or not"questions.Steve Z

That just sucks!!

Actually I can see your point, but I'm going to have to diasagree with it. SS works best for me when its both witty & informative. I like to read posts with strong opinions for & against the subject.

Heaven forbid that we should all either politely concur or defer.

Col.

Social source share

That just sucks!!

Actually I can see your point, but I'm going to have to diasagree with it. SS works best for me when its both witty & informative. I like to read posts with strong opinions for & against the subject.

Heaven forbid that we should all either politely concur or defer.

Col.

Gonna fall for this.Your reply is neither informative or witty.Nor for or against,but probably keeps you in the spotlight :thumbsup::P AND really says everything about you :P:yes:
Social source share

Gonna fall for this.Your reply is neither informative or witty.Nor for or against,but probably keeps you in the spotlight :thumbsup::P AND really says everything about you :P:yes:

Your reply was both witty & informative.

It just shows what you can do, when you really put your mind to it Steve!

Keep up the good work.

Col.

ps You read me like a book :P

Social source share

I was gonna say 'Run, Spot, Run'

WOOF!

Dunno that one. But i do like 'Where's Spot?'

but im the master

good evening mr smith

Yes, whatever big boy.

Going back to Steve's orig point, all I'd say is that I put a premium on my spare time.

When it comes to music, I appreciate knowing if its top notch and whats f***ing crap.

After a while you get to appreciate who's got similar tastes.

Thts how it works for me.

Social source share

In jest the "it's f****** crap" saying is great. Like you said Col each and everyone knows what your tastes like BUT I'm a big believer that no song is crap just not to your liking. No one has the right to say something is shit when someone else adores the sound. "IT'S" is the important word here and perhaps if f****** crap or shite was followed or preceded by "in my humble opinion" then I think that would be perfectly acceptable.

Here endeth the foreigners English/decorum lesson.

I'll go now shall I :thumbsup:

Social source share

In jest the "it's f****** crap" saying is great. Like you said Col each and everyone knows what your tastes like BUT I'm a big believer that no song is crap just not to your liking. No one has the right to say something is shit when someone else adores the sound. "IT'S" is the important word here and perhaps if f****** crap or shite was followed or preceded by "in my humble opinion" then I think that would be perfectly acceptable.

Here endeth the foreigners English/decorum lesson.

I'll go now shall I :thumbsup:

Nah, stick around. Enjoyed reading your comments, mostly a load of old tosh, but still enjoyable to read.

As mentioned before I enjoy the site, but would like to see more prople active on it. I don't know if the odd expletive would put some one off or not. I put a record up for people to comment on the other day and was interested in whether people liked it or not. 40 downloads & not one comment on it - well only by Ian and he doesn't have a sound card!

Thats the issue for me - how to get more people contributing comments. Not the odd expletive.

Col.

Social source share

Nah, stick around. Enjoyed reading your comments, mostly a load of old tosh, but still enjoyable to read.

As mentioned before I enjoy the site, but would like to see more prople active on it. I don't know if the odd expletive would put some one off or not. I put a record up for people to comment on the other day and was interested in whether people liked it or not. 40 downloads & not one comment on it - well only by Ian and he doesn't have a sound card!

Thats the issue for me - how to get more people contributing comments. Not the odd expletive.

Col.

Hi Col.Perhaps people are concerned about The "witty and informative comments" :yes: they may receive in reply :thumbsup: ATB Steve :P
Social source share

stevie

cause of the range of members, different tastes, backgrounds and such, think the trick is to be dip in and out

have different sections which hopefully offer different things, styles and such

while this area could be said for more general, you have the "box" section where things may be a bit more "serious"

Social source share

I have made a number of observations :thumbsup: Quite a number of posts are related to "are you with me or against me" :wicked: I am gonna keep this short .When someone plays a tune to me and I don't like it ..What on Earth gives me the right to use an expletive .I simply say "thanks for the opportunity to listen" not my cuppa.If "they" play a tune I like then ...WOW ..just wanna have one.To me the chance to hear something I do not know totally defeats.."records you like or not"questions.Steve Z

whistling.gif

Social source share

I have made a number of observations :thumbsup: Quite a number of posts are related to "are you with me or against me" :wicked: I am gonna keep this short .When someone plays a tune to me and I don't like it ..What on Earth gives me the right to use an expletive .I simply say "thanks for the opportunity to listen" not my cuppa.If "they" play a tune I like then ...WOW ..just wanna have one.To me the chance to hear something I do not know totally defeats.."records you like or not"questions.Steve Z

whistling.gif

Social source share

Wow! Two totally opposing succinct views, one after the other. Says it all I think.

But... well said Steve z.

IMHO, it does put people off if they think that their humble opinion is going to be shot down in a ball of flames by someone who thinks they know better.

Social source share

Wow! Two totally opposing succinct views, one after the other. Says it all I think.

But... well said Steve z.

IMHO, it does put people off if they think that their humble opinion is going to be shot down in a ball of flames by someone who thinks they know better.

oh come on. we are talking about records here. no one is saying that you mother looks like Shrek or anything. if we can be passionate about records surely we can dislike with the same passion.

its only like football banter etc.

Shane

Social source share

Ah, football banter... that's why I don't understand .... being a mere female.... :thumbsup:

Interesting tho, that I am not the only one that agrees with Steve's sentiment.

Not worth arguing about though (never thought I'd see myself type that! ph34r.gif )

Social source share

Ah, football banter... that's why I don't understand .... being a mere female.... ph34r.gif

Interesting tho, that I am not the only one that agrees with Steve's sentiment.

Not worth arguing about though (never thought I'd see myself type that! :ohmy: )

i aint arguing trifle. sorry if i come across that way. :thumbsup:

steviez can look after himself anyway. he is a big bloke. he must have some bumps on his head from the greatstone tho. have you seen those low ceilings? :wicked::wicked:

shane

Social source share

More unashamed political correctness?

Or am I biting on some mouldy old bait?

Everything is OK or better? Nothing is bad?

Nah, some records are f****** crap and always will be. Have the courage of your convictions to say what you really think about a record, and don't be afraid if someone has a contrary opinion - it's still allowed, and hey, it doesn't mean your original opinion is wrong. yes.gif

Social source share

More unashamed political correctness?

Or am I biting on some mouldy old bait?

Everything is OK or better? Nothing is bad?

Nah, some records are f****** crap and always will be. Have the courage of your convictions to say what you really think about a record, and don't be afraid if someone has a contrary opinion - it's still allowed, and hey, it doesn't mean your original opinion is wrong. yes.gif

Exactly. If everyone had the same opinion and we all have to pussyfoot around being nice to each other and agreeing all the time, it defeats the object of having a discussion list.

Social source share

Exactly. If everyone had the same opinion and we all have to pussyfoot around being nice to each other and agreeing all the time, it defeats the object of having a discussion list.

Hi Pete,at the moment I do not hold with your opinions :thumbsup: .If I do not like a record,for whatever reason,I say so.BUT in a manner that tries not to offend.Is that wrong ph34r.gif ? Mind you, if you answer, I probably will disagree :wicked: Steve

Social source share

Hi Pete,at the moment I do not hold with your opinions :thumbsup: .If I do not like a record,for whatever reason,I say so.BUT in a manner that tries not to offend.Is that wrong ph34r.gif ? Mind you, if you answer, I probably will disagree :wicked: Steve

Not quite sure what the point is, are you trying to turn this into a playschool? These are grown up lads who don't usually mind if you tell them that modern soul is crap, they just laugh it off and give it back. How can you offend someone by saying you don't like a record?

Social source share

Not quite sure what the point is, are you trying to turn this into a playschool? These are grown up lads who don't usually mind if you tell them that modern soul is crap, they just laugh it off and give it back. How can you offend someone by saying you don't like a record?

Hi Pete. The "person" who plays said record ,probably thinks its superb.I do not believe you have to be offensive ,in reply, to the fact you do not personally like the tune .There are also grown up girls on here.

Social source share

i aint arguing trifle. sorry if i come across that way. ph34r.gif

steviez can look after himself anyway. he is a big bloke. he must have some bumps on his head from the greatstone tho. have you seen those low ceilings? :wicked::wicked:

shane

Hi Shane.The low ceiling in the Greatstone has contributed to my thinning hair :thumbsup:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert