Saturday nights allright

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Been following the thread on the Rare Soul Forum about Dewsbury, and some difficulties with getting there if you dont have access to a car.

It made me think about logistics of allnighters, and especially, the fact that there are relatively few Friday night allnighters anymore. In the early 80s Hinckley was a friday niter and was almost always really well attended. I had many many great nights there. Is there a reason for the current lack? Would it put you off going, if a niter was on a friday?

Or maybe I m just missing the friday allnighters. If so where are they?

Inquisitive Mikey

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Mike

Dewsbury is on the main line between Huddersfield and Leeds, lots of trains..then its just a short taxi ride for about £3...outside the station..Is that a difficult one for our brothers and sisters in London..

I have been trying to find it on a map?

Does the Bakerloo line go there?

Yate was never the easiest place to get to, especially in the 70s, and Stafford didnt have any trains on a Sunday until mid-day. That didnt stop them both being great allnighters, and from what I hear, Dewsbury is going to be right up there with the best.

I was just mulling over the demise of Friday nighters, and thought it tied in nicely with access to venues etc.

Been following the thread on the Rare Soul Forum about Dewsbury, and some difficulties with getting there if you dont have access to a car.

It made me think about logistics of allnighters, and especially, the fact that there are relatively few Friday night allnighters anymore. In the early 80s Hinckley was a friday niter and was almost always really well attended. I had many many great nights there. Is there a reason for the current lack? Would it put you off going, if a niter was on a friday?

Or maybe I m just missing the friday allnighters. If so where are they?

Inquisitive Mikey

ha ha remember going to Hinckley probably early to mid 80s on the train for a saturday nighter spending practically every penny I had on booze records etc. coming out the next morning, beautiful sunny morning strolling down to the station, not caring what time my train was & finding the bloody station locked up, no trains on a sunday. Help! Panic! Why didn't they tell me when I bought my ticket!

Fortunately a couple of Northern Soulers told me I needed to get a bus to Nuneaton (I think?) then I had to beg the bus fare from them, so difficulties getting home more than getting there mikey ;-) ( & don't spend all yer dosh!)

Big Shorts

In the 80s i would travel to all-niters on my scooter...Not very nice to come out of an all-niter to be confronted by snow/ice/driving rain/freezing fog etc..Fell asleep on the motorway coming back from All niter in Clacton, me and my scooter smashed up with cars swerving to avoid me, that was the last time...I like to put my feet up with a few beers on the train,must be showing my age..

Guest Johnny One Trout

Sherries isn't that bad to get to whichever way you come but to be honest anywhere can be a pain in the harris if you have to get home by train or bus on a Sunday.

Back when they started at sherries the worst thing was to try to remember that you you had to drive home as they quite often forgot to shut the bar!!!!!!! ahh them wuz the days

But if you haven't been up to Lifeline yet i suggest you get yer skates on and get there soon it's bloody great that's if you are into your newies as we used to call em back in't day who knows mikey if you are in back in the stix around then we may even give you a lift ;o)))

John

BTW Stevie just put a replacement CD in the post to you if the other turns up either use it as a coaster or give it to a mate who may appreciate it ;o))

But if you haven't been up to Lifeline yet i suggest you get yer skates on and get there soon it's bloody great that's if you are into your newies as we used to call em back in't day who knows mikey if you are in back in the stix around then we may even give you a lift ;o)))

John

As John has kinjdly mentioned it the next one is October the 16th, usual top Rare Soul DJs.

Guest in town Mikey

My point, which does seem to have been missed, is what ever happened to Friday allnighters?

I used the Lifeline example to show there are many many things to consider when running a soul allnighter.

So, does anyone have any opinions, or not? Its not really that important, I was just wondering s'all.

:-)

The demise of the friday nighter could be just that as we have all got older, wiser and have real responsibilities.Jobs are probably more serious to people now than they were when we we teenagers and after a weeks slog people are just to knackered to do a nighter on a friday. Well on a regular basis at least.I know Bury runs a nighter a couple of times a year on a friday.

On the Lifeline thread, I believe you can get a train to Ravensthorpe ( where Sherrys is ), I know someone on this list from Leeds that did this very thing last saturday and then just walked down to the venue.

Guest ShaneH

The Wilton near Wakefield still continues on Fridays (every two months). Still a great nighter after more than 10 years! Big fave of mine and one I always attend.

Shane

Fridays are a nightmare for us. JoT doesnt get home from work until 6.30-7ish and in order to DJ at a soul night up north this Friday night he is having to take an afternoon off work and lose the pay :-(

We both have fairly exhausting jobs and the lure of a allnighter just wouldn't appeal to me on a Friday night. We used to go to Prestwich every month without fail but the nightmare of the motorways and the roadworks make it difficult for us to get there by a reasonable time.

Any promoters who are involved with organising weekenders will probably tell you that a fair few people don't arrive until the Saturday, because of work or family comitments, and the distance they have to travel.

Much prefer Saturday night events when I've had a chance to wind down after a hard week, or maybe a local do thats only a cab ride home.

Fact remains many of us aren't spring chickens, and sometimes friday night TV, a takeaway and a bottle of wine seems more appealing :-(

I rarely have the stamina to see an all-nighter out past 5 or 6 o'clock these days as it is.

I'm just a boring old fart !

Certain Clifton Hall 81/82? was on a friday. Me and my crowd used to jump on a bus from Sheffield , dead easy, then one time it didn't go all the way, remember well (just about!) that November night walking for an hour in snow and blizzards in my rather smart (But totally ineffective) "slazenger" sweater and finally getting to thoses hallowed doors............nearly hypothermic, but a glass of cherry ade :-) and i was off whirling around that fantastic floor to James Lewis ( The Q).

Once upon a time in a town in the north west of England there was an overated (in my opinion) soul club that held all nighters on Friday & Saturday nights in the same week. If my memory serves me correctly the Friday nights, as a rule, were better attended than the Saturday events. Possibly due to the oldies policy but also because of the extra recovery day before work on Monday. Think with this in mind there should be more all nighters on Fridays, also the chances of nighters clashing would be reduced and the masochists amongst us would be able to attend both.

Guest ShaneH

I would prefer more nighters on a Friday night cos its right what Mark Ellis said about the extra day to recover for work on Monday morning. Also there would be less clashes for sure. Lets hope some more agree and the promoters take note.

Shane