Jump to content

News: Wigan Chosen Few TOTP Tape Exists ?


Recommended Posts

Posted
16 minutes ago, maslar said:

So is anyone going to make a copy and post it here.  :D.   And no Venus, I'm not losing my bodily functions. :g:

To view the video you need to have a gmail or google account to send to Pete Smith who will then send you a link to view it.. Anyone on FB can send the link to Pete in a pm.. I'm sure plenty of folks have petes email address and could get the link via email

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 67
  • Views 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

9 years on from the original post.... (and exactly 43 years today since first broadcast -  30-1-75 ) the full clip is now up   

Steve....I shared that clip with a friend who I've known for quite a while now...I had no idea he was going to share that clip with others after I asked him not to? apparently recorded the clip using

Some of the people in that video were part of the backbone of what "the scene" was to me when I was introduced to it. I am not and never was a collector, just a dancer minding my own business and

Posted Images




Posted
22 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Great article

yep the euro stuff is interesting 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Some of the people in that video were part of the backbone of what "the scene" was to me when I was introduced to it.

I am not and never was a collector, just a dancer minding my own business and drinking it all in.

Footsee was wank but it was a floor filler in its day.

There is no secret society, let it go ffs.

Those who are glad they were too young and so missed the early 70's clapping, music, clobber and gear and snear at it now aren't really qualified to express anything other than a totally unqualified point of view......you weren't there and you obviously don't get it.

If Pete Smith has taken his ball home then who can blame him?

A lot of quality, knowledge and fun seems to be evaporating from this site, which is a real shame.

 

 

Edited by back street blue
grammatical error
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 minutes ago, back street blue said:

 

If Pete Smith has taken his ball home then who can blame him?

 

 

 

There are reasons it was changed so that you need a gmail/google account and I'm sure it wasn't all down to Pete.. Anyone wishing to view it can.. It takes 2 mins to set up an account.. If folks can't contact Pete PM me their address and I will arrange for the link to be forwarded

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 minute ago, dedji1955 said:

There are reasons it was changed so that you need a gmail/google account and I'm sure it wasn't all down to Pete.. Anyone wishing to view it can.. It takes 2 mins to set up an account.. If folks can't contact Pete PM me their address and I will arrange for the link to be forwarded

Hiya Fred, yeah I know why it was taken down and didn't mean that, looks like Pete's had enough "feedback" from some of the genius's on here generally. 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
48 minutes ago, back street blue said:

Hiya Fred, yeah I know why it was taken down and didn't mean that, looks like Pete's had enough "feedback" from some of the genius's on here generally. 

can we get back to talking about the video - if wanna talk about the site or members then best do it in support forum here
https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forum/41-support/

cheers

mike

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 04/11/2016 at 15:16, geeselad said:

who first played it and what was it covered as?

I think it was covered as Odd Billy and The Bad Boys. Possibly a Russ spin but not sure.

I've seen the TOTP clip now. It's strange how the memory plays tricks as I don't remember it just being gymnastics out of step with the music.

Anyway, here is a clip of the original Chosen Few. They left the TOTP set saying they wanted to dance to something with more musical integrity. No accounting for taste.

 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
5 hours ago, mike said:

here's some related background

the 1975 billboard issue features a brief word about the promotion and production of the 45 in an article about european disco scene

also mentions a competition to find the best 3 'clappers'

all before my time tf!

 

image for reference...

euro-disco-billboard-1975.jpg

Great clip. I always thought I was going to a club in Wigan and now it turns out to be a discotheque. But now there's hope for us all as we enter our 60's and 70's -  clapping competitions instead of dance-offs. Bags I clap to Tainted Love...

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

 Back to the clip. Vaguely recall seeing it on a TV at a soul-night in Central London a few years ago. How many copies of the original take are out there? I would have thought the only person worried about the WCF clip was the person who removed it from the BBC archive: that said, I don't suppose the BBC cares who took it. The only people who have an interest in the video clip are us so can we please have it back?

soul source url
Social source share
  • 1 year later...
Posted

9 years on from the original post....

(and exactly 43 years today since first broadcast -  30-1-75 )

the full clip is now up 

 

  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 04/11/2016 at 16:12, bo diddley said:

I think it was covered as Odd Billy and The Bad Boys. Possibly a Russ spin but not sure.

I've seen the TOTP clip now. It's strange how the memory plays tricks as I don't remember it just being gymnastics out of step with the music.

Anyway, here is a clip of the original Chosen Few. They left the TOTP set saying they wanted to dance to something with more musical integrity. No accounting for taste.

 

I've seen people recently at a "soul" night dancing just like that and wearing the same dresses

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 1/30/2015 at 10:45, Little Anthony said:

There is some footage of WCT on TOTP on this youtube clip from 1 min 15 secs for about 15 secs

 

 

Gethro  My celtic shirt green and white if you went to wigan you will know that shirt right hand side of stage just down from the front i never danced right at the front to many bright lights . I received this video the other day brought back a smile happy times who was with me -girl is Ann Rodgers guy spinning near me Tom Mercer other guy Kip all from wigan apparently they added the horns.From wolvo 4 dancers me Jako winston and Steve Powell .Answers to many questions about this and my journey from the cats 'Va Va and other venues of that time  to the casino first anniversary dance competition final 1974 can be found in my book '' They danced all night '' 126 five star reviews can be found on amazon .I self published as i wouldn't let anyone alter a single word i write  from the heart  dominated by the TRUTH of what the northern scene was really like back then . By going on top of the pops we shook up the mainstream establishment a lot of people who had never heard of northern soul came on to the scene  and are there to this day .Do i regret a thing no way  my reason was simple I just wanted to show pans people this is how you really  dance and as you see ''  we could all dance '' .Gethro now living in Chicago 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 1/30/2015 at 10:45, Little Anthony said:

There is some footage of WCT on TOTP on this youtube clip from 1 min 15 secs for about 15 secs

 

 

Gethro  My celtic shirt green and white if you went to wigan you will know that shirt right hand side of stage just down from the front i never danced right at the front to many bright lights . I received this video the other day brought back a smile happy times who was with me -girl is Ann Rodgers guy spinning near me Tom Mercer other guy Kip all from wigan apparently they added the horns.From wolvo 4 dancers me Jako winston and Steve Powell .Answers to many questions about this and my journey from the cats 'Va Va and other venues of that time  to the casino first anniversary dance competition final 1974 can be found in my book '' They danced all night '' 126 five star reviews can be found on amazon .I self published as i wouldn't let anyone alter a single word i write  from the heart  dominated by the TRUTH of what the northern scene was really like back then . By going on top of the pops we shook up the mainstream establishment a lot of people who had never heard of northern soul came on to the scene  and are there to this day .Do i regret a thing no way  my reason was simple I just wanted to show pans people this is how you really  dance and as you see ''  we could all dance '' .Gethro now living in Chicago 

  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I remember seeing this clip on top of the pops at the time and being very impressed with it. I was aware of the scene due to a lot of the older lad`s on my estate going to Wigan, like a lot of people of my age (57) it started the ball rolling as regards our involvement on the scene within little over a year I started going to Wigan myself, on this coming Saturday my wife and I are off to Rugby allnighter 43 years later I am still at it so couldn't have been no bad thing. Loved seeing Gethro dancing great to watch and a very nice bloke as well always said hello when I saw him at nighters . Hope he is well and still loving our music as I am to this day.

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log in now!
  1. Wigan Mods Wigan Mods Wigan Wigan Wigan Mods
    All About The Soul by ImberBoy on Thu 19 Mar 2009
    • 4 / 2090
    • in town Mikey on 24 Mar 2009
  2. Want: The Chosen Few - Cut Me In / We Are The Chosen Few Mod-art 45
    Record Wants by this is tomorrow on Wed 21 Aug 2013
    • 4 / 884
    • Jason S on 23 Aug 2013
  3. Wigan's Chosen Few
    All About The Soul by on Wed 16 Mar 2005
    • 43 / 9454
    • wendy on 01 Apr 2005
  4. Wigan's Chosen Few - T.o.t.p. 1974
    All About The Soul by AGENTSMITH on Sun 07 Nov 2010
    • 74 / 8358
    • gordon russell on 12 Nov 2010
  5. Wigan's Chosen Few
    All About The Soul by Neil-ok on Wed 16 May 2007
    • 11 / 1554
    • Neil-ok on 20 May 2007
  6. Best Wigan Spot From Best Wigan Dj
    All About The Soul by Pete S on Wed 14 Feb 2007
    • 6 / 1432
    • YKSoulMan on 15 Feb 2007
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.