More Ebay problems

I received an item through the post from the States a few days ago.It was described as 'Excellent Condition' It's dog rough!!Scratched to f*ck,won't play cos it jumps in 2 places,label is peeling off etc!I've e mailed him but no response as yet.What can you suggest I do,I know it's early days at the mo,I was thinking if he doesn't respond to me of emailing all the people that bid on his items and tell them what he's like,anyone got any suggestions?

It was only a $50 record,but I hate someone ripping me off.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not a lot you can do. You can leave him poor feedback but he will then reply in kind and f*** your rating up. You could report to ebay, they may suspend his account but all he has to do is re-register under a different name.

You could also watch his future auctions like you say;-) Know some who have done this.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

If he is a regular seller of soul 45s I would tell him you will be letting lots of fellow soul buyers know of his actions. Name and shame him unless he can refund a good percentage of the costs. You can get his name blackened to maybe 200 people in the next couple of days through soul source alone. I wouldn't get in a feedback war just spreading the word will hit him harder.

Shane

Social source share

I had a similar experience from a seller on Ebay. The record was described as "excellent" but upon playing it, there was loads of surface noise. Upon contacting the seller, they told me that they only grade visually, but they still gave me a full refund.

I would just wait to get a reply from them first before taking any action.

Social source share

Thanks for the replies and advice.I'm gonna sit on this for a couple of weeks,in case he's on his hols etc.If I still don't get a response I will tell him he is named and shamed on all uk soul forums,it may be a good idea to set up a register of 'dodgy dealers' maybe if he received a couple of hundred emails,it might make him realise he can't rip people off!

I'll let you know what happens.

thanks again

Pete

Social source share

I suggest you send the record back and demand a refund, the Yanks often grade totally different to us, they often think condition matters very little if it's a Northern 45, most of them just want your money and very few collect and basically don't care about the music in the first place.

If you get no satisfaction inform Ebay, but they often do nothing about it, as they are also simply interested in making money.

Social source share

i often wonder why are so many records coming over form the states (particularly many i have purchased thru ebay) in such poor condition, scuffed to hell, surface noise, scratched etc. i thought most of these were underground sounds - so why the hell have they been played to death over there? were they bigger hits than we are led to belive or something??? 2 copies (albeit cheap) of l johnson 'if i never get to love you' big top that i have bought this year have both been in poor visual condition, play o.k but with a slight background noise - was thgis a popular jukebox item in the usa in the 60's or what?

puzzled

grant

Social source share

Recieved a few bad copies myself and it severely pisses you off when it is advertised as excellent condition.

It takes up a bit of time but make a record of your buys and condition so that you know who or who not to deal with.

There are a lot of sales from U.S. that you wouldn't buy from a junk shop and seems even a waste of money paying p&p on it.

H

Social source share

Recieved a few bad copies myself and it severely pisses you off when it is advertised as excellent condition.

It takes up a bit of time but make a record of your buys and condition so that you know who or who not to deal with.

H

General rule of thumb for me is don't buy anything listed with a condition of less than M-, unless you've sampled a cheap one to check out the grading.

Paul

SITC

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!