News: Dvd Release - Northern Soul 200 Greatest Floorfillers from Wienerworld

Mike

Well I never! How many copy's are there 6?

Not to my knowledge.

I thought there were only two.

Unless more have surfaced that I never heard about.

Social source share

• Replies 73
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Good to see you here Ian Levine, I hope you try and keep calm in the face of provocation and don't explode like you usually do, as it would be nice to have your knowledge on here for a while and not see you get kicked off

Hello fabulous Pete.

It is my belief that most of Soul Source are genuine people who enjoy their music. Their enjoyment is ruined by about twenty trolls. From the number of messages and e-mails I have received, there are many lurkers on here who are excited that I have rejoined. But when it comes to the trolls, there is no way I'm going to be a sacrificial lamb.

I hope Mike allows me to speak my mind. If not then I'll get banned, but if someone is spouting rubbish, I cannot zip it, sorry but I can't. And I have suffered abuse on here for years and never defended myself and the times have changed.

The problem with the trolls is that of the earlyMarxists in Russia. If anyone on the Northern Soul scene is in business, they're pilloried and lambasted, unless they're Mark Bicknell or Rob Moss. It's one set of rules for me and Kev Roberts and Russ, and quite another for them.

Social source share

Thanks for clearing that up Paul, fingers crossed.

Martin.

The artists all have the same contract.

Any profits are split 50/50 pro-rata.

I have so far recouped fourteen grand after spending eighty.

Artists simply cannot be paid if the project is not in profit and that's the bare hard facts.

I do not regret doing the project, but I do regret the uninformed bias that it has engendered over the last ten years. So many have died - ALL The Tempos, two of The Carstairs, Freddy Butler, Otis Leavill, Erma Franklin, Tommy Ridgley, Bobby Sheen, Emanuel Lasky, Doris Troy, Willie Hutch, Johnny Moore, Sam Ward, Joe Stubbs, Saundra Edwards, Edwin Starr, Earl Van Dyke, C.P. Spencer, James Fountain, Bob Relf, George lead singer of The Tymes, Ray Pollard, Jackie Day, Little Ann, that looking down the track listing of this new re-edited box set of 200 is a very sad affair indeed.

Not only did no-one else ever do it, but no-one else now ever COULD do it.

I captured these artists for posterity singing the songs we loved, and a few internet trolls can never take that away from me.

Social source share

Not to my knowledge.

I thought there were only two.

Unless more have surfaced that I never heard about.

Welcome back to the scene Ian. Sceptics or not mate, you did so much to bring quality sounds to the fore. Sorry to hear your not deejaying at the Mecca reunion although we can't make it as we don't arrive in the U.K till early September. Stay on here and stay soulful. Tony E.... OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

However, what really makes me want to weep whenever I watch it is the opportunity missed to ask these guys some decent questions on their careers/ recordings instead of the repeated 'did you realise your record is big on the Northern soul scene?' .....For the footage of a number of artists it was some kid Levine shipped straight out of film school who didn't know what Northern soul was, not to mind who these artists actually were???

Martin.

Martin, I'm sorry it makes you want to weep, but I have tons of interviews in the can of these artists and each one does talk about exactly what you want to hear. I have about twenty minutes of interview footage with each of over a hundred of the artists. Altogether we shot 400 hours of footage including all the interviews of the pioneers of the early days of Northern Soul.

There was far too much to use on SWONS and the box set had to appeal to wider fans of Northern Soul not just the purists. Otherwise instead of the four thousand it sold, it would have only sold forty.

As for Adi Denney, he filmed over a hundred artists, made seven trips to America, and filmed in twenty eight different cities all over the continent, slept on floors, and had a list of MY questions for each one, and did a wonderful job while I was working twenty hours a day editing the thing together in time for its July 199 launch at Blackburn in front of 1300 people. One of the highlights of my life.

I don't regret a thing, even if it does make you weep.

Social source share

Welcome back to the scene Ian. Sceptics or not mate, you did so much to bring quality sounds to the fore. Sorry to hear your not deejaying at the Mecca reunion although we can't make it as we don't arrive in the U.K till early September. Stay on here and stay soulful. Tony E.... OZ. K.T.F.

There was only one Mecca Reunion.

November 28th 1998.

In the Highland Room.

Anything else is inferior to that.

That night was wonderful and should never be attempted ever again in history.

Social source share

Do you still have a copy of the Andantes?

Are the videos of the Motown reunion you did in the 80's available anywhere?

I'd like a copy of the concert in its entirety if it was released on dvd rather than chopped up on the one you must get if you buy the dvd's you get if you follow the link. Any chance of that Mr levine

Regards

Ian

Social source share

Martin, I'm sorry it makes you want to weep, but I have tons of interviews in the can of these artists and each one does talk about exactly what you want to hear. I have about twenty minutes of interview footage with each of over a hundred of the artists. Altogether we shot 400 hours of footage including all the interviews of the pioneers of the early days of Northern Soul.

There was far too much to use on SWONS and the box set had to appeal to wider fans of Northern Soul not just the purists. Otherwise instead of the four thousand it sold, it would have only sold forty.

As for Adi Denney, he filmed over a hundred artists, made seven trips to America, and filmed in twenty eight different cities all over the continent, slept on floors, and had a list of MY questions for each one, and did a wonderful job while I was working twenty hours a day editing the thing together in time for its July 199 launch at Blackburn in front of 1300 people. One of the highlights of my life.

It is a good point though, and I point I made when it came out - I'd have loved to know the artists reactions to finding out that their records were popular, or how they came to make them; I remember a short clip of Garnet Mimms was included where he couldn't believe Looking For You was popular, said he recorded it and forgot about it

Social source share

Ian, first I'm delighted that somebody took the time to chase these artists down and film them.

I have spoken to one or two of them over the years who were disappointed that they didn't even get to see the finished product. Which prompted my comments on this and the lack of royalties comments. (see Paul Mooney's posts above)

From viewing the original SWONS I was under the impression that no in depth interviews were done. As someone who goes to the US ever year to watch and interview Soul artists, and know how difficult it can be to track them down and get their story, I was gutted as I considered it a valuable opportunity missed, I'm delighted to be corrected on this.

Any chance that these interviews will be come available to us in some form or another in the future? It would be a shame to have it lying on the shelf because as you've pointed out quite a few of them are now dead.

Martin.

Edited by Soulfreak
Social source share

I especially like the moment in TSWONS when one of the Delfonics (is it?) insists on singing 'La-La Means I Love You' instead of the track in question and gets chided by another band member, 'we gotta talk about northern soul man', causing the culprit to chunter a bit. The new Willie Hutch 'Love Runs Out' cut is also very good & clearly demonstrates how the technology has moved on. Willie also sadly passed away recently. Did you get him to do 'Lucky To Be Loved By You', Ian?

Social source share

I have spoken to one or two of them over the years who were disappointed that they didn't even get to see the finished product.

Out of 131 artists, there were bound to be a few who dissented more than the others.

Like with Motorcity, for some reason unknown to me, Bobby Taylor thinks I'm the antichrist, and Rob Moss repeated some comments in Manifesto which were both libellous and malicious falsehoods.

But the DVD was licensed to Wienerworld and the sets are very expensive to produce and I was only given an allocation of 30 sets in total, so how could I send one to each artist. Even more relevant, the set is in PAL system, and will not play on any American TV. So they couldn't watch it anyway.

Ady Croasdell once told me that Mary Love was upset with me, but I contacted her on MySpace and we're best of friends.

Social source share

I'd like a copy of the concert in its entirety if it was released on dvd rather than chopped up on the one you must get if you buy the dvd's you get if you follow the link. Any chance of that Mr levine

Regards

Ian

It'll never happen.

Charly Records owned the rights to that whole concert. My Mum came to the concert and filmed some bits for me with her video camera, and I used those to edit a few videos for myself to use, but only Charly own the concert footage in its entirity. We edited it for them in 2001 to release on DVD and seven years later, they still haven't touched the damn thing. Very frustrating indeed.

The "Don't Forget The Motorcity" package, which is 100 all different videos by former Motown artists, is the only option you can get to see, and it is a wonderful and priceless package of many many artists who are no longer with us. It really is worth ordering from Wienerworld, who, when all said and done, have been the only company to release a whole range of Northern Soul DVDs.

THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL

SOULVATION

DON'T FORGET THE MOTORCITY

THE EDWIN STARR STORY

and now

NORTHERN SOUL'S TOP 200 FLOORFILLERS.

Social source share

The new Willie Hutch 'Love Runs Out' cut is also very good & clearly demonstrates how the technology has moved on. Willie also sadly passed away recently.

Your wish is my command

">
Social source share

Fabulous. Too much weight on a limb's gonna cause it to crack & our man is sitting on the stairs. Nice one!

His death was a tragic loss to the world of Soul Music.

Ralph Tee put out a DVD of the Willie Hutch story and sold less than a hundred copies.

Social source share

It'll never happen.

Charly Records owned the rights to that whole concert. My Mum came to the concert and filmed some bits for me with her video camera, and I used those to edit a few videos for myself to use, but only Charly own the concert footage in its entirity. We edited it for them in 2001 to release on DVD and seven years later, they still haven't touched the damn thing. Very frustrating indeed.

The "Don't Forget The Motorcity" package, which is 100 all different videos by former Motown artists, is the only option you can get to see, and it is a wonderful and priceless package of many many artists who are no longer with us. It really is worth ordering from Wienerworld, who, when all said and done, have been the only company to release a whole range of Northern Soul DVDs.

THE STRANGE WORLD OF NORTHERN SOUL

SOULVATION

DON'T FORGET THE MOTORCITY

THE EDWIN STARR STORY

and now

NORTHERN SOUL'S TOP 200 FLOORFILLERS.

Thats a pity I've got all of he other dvd's except for the the motorcity one but I loved that concert.

Cheers

Ian

Social source share

Thats a pity I've got all of he other dvd's except for the the motorcity one but I loved that concert.

Cheers

Ian

How ??

It's never been released and never seen, so how did you see it ???

Social source share

How ??

It's never been released and never seen, so how did you see it ???

I'm on about the one with the elgins and syretta and carolyn crawford in if my memory serves me right. I had it on a video many years ago. Are we on about the same concert mate

Regards

Ian

Social source share

I'm on about the one with the elgins and syretta and carolyn crawford in if my memory serves me right. I had it on a video many years ago. Are we on about the same concert mate

Regards

Ian

No we're not.

That was Flying Music's concert with just six artists filmed in 1989 in London. It was actually released on VHS. Try e-Bay. "The Legends Of MotorCity". You might find a set.

The Pontchartrain Concert in Detroit had seventeen artists and was mindblowing. But was never released.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert