News: Dvd Release - Northern Soul 200 Greatest Floorfillers from Wienerworld

Mike

• Replies 73
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Advance news of a forthcoming 5 disc dvd set release from Wienerworld scheduled for October 2008

Details and information passed on below:

NORTHERN SOUL'S 200 GREATEST FLOORFILLERS

Coming in October 2008.

Our greatest achievement ever.

A five disc DVD set of 200 performances.

NS200FinalCover-600.jpg

The biggest all time songs are here...

OUT ON THE FLOOR, DO I...

this is an 500 chrs clip of the article - use link below to view the article in full (images, video etc)

Click here to view the soul article in full

Social source share

Just wondered if anyone had actually seen any of this stuff - the old SWONS footage I mean - what they've done to them is astonishing. All those terrible psychedelic swirly effects have been completely removed and the videos look really contemporary. Nearly 10 years ago I was one of the original films biggest detractors but over time it's become probably the most important historical Northern Soul document that there is (some of it due to the fact that many of it's participants started to pass away after it came out). But this is a different kettle of fish, it's not the original film, it's the performances plus a load of new ones (including Eddie Parker - I'm Gone apparently). Anyway I can assure you this is not an advert on behalf of Ian Levine Ltd - I'm genuinely kind of shocked as to what they've done with the footage - and the new stuff isn't bad either!

">
Social source share

Hello Pete,

I've only seen a few of the new and modified clips so far (Maxine Brown and Deon Jackson being good examples) and I'm very impressed with the changes. It's going to be an essential purchase.

We control a few of the songs so I'm biased but I'm really looking forward to seeing all the modified clips - especially Bob Relf, James Fountain, Eddie Parker, Bobby Hutton, Garland Green, Jo Armstead, Four Larks, etc.

It's fair to say that SWONS was a product of its time, particularly as far as affordable technology is concerned, but it still served an important purpose - especially as so many artists have since passed away.

The new DVD will make much of SWONS redundant.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Just wondered if anyone had actually seen any of this stuff - the old SWONS footage I mean - what they've done to them is astonishing.

You should check out the Vel-vets, quite stunning compared to the orignal from SWONS. This is more than

SWONS in a new box but from what I've seen they've mastered it this using the latest digital technology and

produced a great chunk of NS history.

Since the orignal footage was shot too many of the artists have passed away, Bobby Sheen, Bobby Sanders,

Erma Franklin, Bob Relf, et al. This is a wonderful way to get access to them they way they were 10 years

ago but with a more professional presentation. No easy task as many of the locations used were pretty dingy

to say the least.

Some of the artists are on Ian Levines YouTube page, they're well worth a look. I was lucky enough to have filmed

some of the artists, some of which sadly have died, I was more than happy to put time in to assist after all no-one

else has attempted anything near to this project and probably never will. You just have to say hats off to the guy

for persisting and this surely is a labour of love.

Chris L

Social source share

I've lost 12 stone since the original film was made (I really have - Pete S will confirm that !!) I demand

to be re-filmed :D

Chris L

Hello Chris,

Because there is less of you, I think your fee should be reduced accordingly.

:no:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

What about this...this has surely got to be as good as any recent product played on the Northern scene...I think maybe we dismissed the 21st century northern soul project too easily without even listening

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

I second that statement Pete ......

If I had been played / or played , the track without knowing its' origin , I would have accepted it totally for what it is - a very good record ........

Malc Burton

I think the problem is, we got so used to the Levine trademark production sound that we didn't feel the need to actually listen to anything else cos we know what it's going to sound like - I was genuinely surprised when I went onto his youtube site and actually listened to some of the tracks today.

Did you hear the sample from The Sweets - Something about my baby, right at the start, I got that in one :rolleyes:

this record don't half grow on you after 2 or 3 listens though

Social source share

I think the problem is, we got so used to the Levine trademark production sound that we didn't feel the need to actually listen to anything else cos we know what it's going to sound like - I was genuinely surprised when I went onto his youtube site and actually listened to some of the tracks today.

Did you hear the sample from The Sweets - Something about my baby, right at the start, I got that in one :rolleyes:

Thankyou for that , Pete : it has been bugging me as to what it was , from my first hearing of the track ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

as good as this track is Frank Popp got (and still gets) tarred and feathered for using and re-working samples from old northern classics into new songs. Where's the difference to what Ian Levine did here?

Social source share

as good as this track is Frank Popp got (and still gets) tarred and feathered for using and re-working samples from old northern classics into new songs. Where's the difference to what Ian Levine did here?

Bit of a difference between one drum roll intro and a whole song made up from other tracks though. I like the Frank Popp records anyway.

Social source share

Probably nothing, Ian gets tarred and feathered regulary.

Chris L

Social source share

Ian has expained to me that they haven't sampled anything - brand new technologly which didn't even exist a year ago now allows them to analize the unique frequencies of those northern soul drumbeats and change the sounds that they recorded themelsves to match almost exactly. Ian's got over 2000 master recordings, containing all of the original drums from Baby I'm still the same man, Your magic put a spell on me etc - and you can tweak these drum sounds to make them sound as if they come from any era.

Social source share

Not my cup of tea sorry.

Going round in circles trying to make a bad job good. Just leave the orginal stuff original.

Ed

Of course you can never beat the orignal studio recordings, these you have to see as an

oppertunity to get a peek at the artists themselves, something like a live performance

but from the comfort of your own living room :thumbup:

Social source share

Of course you can never beat the orignal studio recordings, these you have to see as an

oppertunity to get a peek at the artists themselves, something like a live performance

but from the comfort of your own living room :unsure:

Yes, it's a visual performance thing. The on-screen presense of the artists is what's most important here.

Having said that, the music is also greatly improved. And it would have been very expensive (and almost impossible) to obtain sync licenses and master-use licenses to the original recordings.

The number of youtube views shows that these videos are very popular.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

I know what you mean, but they had no choice but to re-record them.

The new stuff is really good though.

What needs to be respected in all of this , was / is that the motivation behind Ian's project - to capture the artists and their recordings for posterity ...........

Malc Burton

Social source share

What needs to be respected in all of this , was / is that the motivation behind Ian's project - to capture the artists and their recordings for posterity ...........

Malc Burton

On a pure personal, eog tripping, selfish, the big I AM, having filmed and recorded some of the

artists it really was a knock to get to meet them, during the Tempos filming we were all in tears,

these guys had no idea that their songs had been released even in the US.

Their 60T's stories enraptured us, one helter skelter lifestyle, a miracle they were still alive,

of course many are no not, I'm so glad the're on film, for as bad as Bobby Sheen was (and

trust me he was bad, mad & frecked up) at the end of the night when we were sitting around

talking and he pulled out his Capitol records recording schedule and he got to tell about a

typical day his his life during the 60T's it was a moment to cherish. :thumbup:

Social source share

On a pure personal, eog tripping, selfish, the big I AM, having filmed and recorded some of the

artists it really was a knock to get to meet them, during the Tempos filming we were all in tears,

these guys had no idea that their songs had been released even in the US.

Their 60T's stories enraptured us, one helter skelter lifestyle, a miracle they were still alive,

of course many are no not, I'm so glad the're on film, for as bad as Bobby Sheen was (and

trust me he was bad, mad & frecked up) at the end of the night when we were sitting around

talking and he pulled out his Capitol records recording schedule and he got to tell about a

typical day his his life during the 60T's it was a moment to cherish. :P

Just a further footnote - and my last - to my earlier post on this subject ........

Until someone puts together something better than TSWONS and this new project - which is doubtful - people should stop chastising Ian , and start giving him the credit he rightly deserves , for the stirling work he has done in putting together the documentation of this music of ours .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

TSWONS and this new project - which is doubtful - people should stop chastising Ian.

Malc Burton

You're right the thing became far too personal, it's not about Ian Levine but all the artists

that got found, filmed and recorded. I'm curious to see the finished product.

Chris L

Social source share

Hello Pete,

I've only seen a few of the new and modified clips so far (Maxine Brown and Deon Jackson being good examples) and I'm very impressed with the changes. It's going to be an essential purchase.

We control a few of the songs so I'm biased but I'm really looking forward to seeing all the modified clips - especially Bob Relf, James Fountain, Eddie Parker, Bobby Hutton, Garland Green, Jo Armstead, Four Larks, etc.

It's fair to say that SWONS was a product of its time, particularly as far as affordable technology is concerned, but it still served an important purpose - especially as so many artists have since passed away.

The new DVD will make much of SWONS redundant.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Strange to see an 'Ian Levine love in' on here for a change.

From what I've heard (and please feel free to correct me) a lot of the artists agreed to be filmed on the understanding that they'd get some money out of the royalties and/or at the very least get a copy of the finished product.

Will any of them even get a copy this time?

Glad you're on top of this Paul, at least some of the artists have a chance of actually getting some money this time....

Social source share

What about this...this has surely got to be as good as any recent product played on the Northern scene...I think maybe we dismissed the 21st century northern soul project too easily without even listening

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

On 'SWONS' I have to say that he was the only one who put his balls on the line to film this stuff, so at least there's some unique footage of the acts to watch, many of which we'll never see again.

So credit where credit is due.

Ian D :lol:

I've mentioned above how some of the artists were not exactly 'treated well' for their contributions, but from a purely selfish standpoint it was good to get a glimpse of some of the more obscure artists even if at times it was to an awful messed-around-with backing track.

However, what really makes me want to weep whenever I watch it is the opportunity missed to ask these guys some decent questions on their careers/ recordings instead of the repeated 'did you realise your record is big on the Northern soul scene?' .....For the footage of a number of artists it was some kid Levine shipped straight out of film school who didn't know what Northern soul was, not to mind who these artists actually were???

Martin.

Social source share

From what I've heard (and please feel free to correct me) a lot of the artists agreed to be filmed on the understanding that they'd get some money out of the royalties and/or at the very least get a copy of the finished product.

Glad you're on top of this Paul, at least some of the artists have a chance of actually getting some money this time....

Hello,

I'm not actually involved with this project, I was just commenting on it.

Having said that, the publishing rights to about 20 of the 200 songs just happen to be owned or controlled by Millbrand Music, so I suppose I have a small and indirect interest.

My biggest interest is that a few friends and clients are featured - including a couple who have passed away recently.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

I've mentioned above how some of the artists were not exactly 'treated well' for their contributions, but from a purely selfish standpoint it was good to get a glimpse of some of the more obscure artists even if at times it was to an awful messed-around-with backing track.

However, what really makes me want to weep whenever I watch it is the opportunity missed to ask these guys some decent questions on their careers/ recordings instead of the repeated 'did you realise your record is big on the Northern soul scene?' .....For the footage of a number of artists it was some kid Levine shipped straight out of film school who didn't know what Northern soul was, not to mind who these artists actually were???

Martin.

I know if Ian had had the technology when he did TSWONS , the finished product would have been vastly different from what was delivered : but he had to make do with what was available , hence the flaws - to which he will admit .......

With this new / forthcoming project , Ian has had the benefit pf improved technology to use in relation to the new material , and the " refreshment " of the old , resulting in a far better - and polished - end product , giving us another creditable - and invaluable - documetation of the music and artists that we call " ours " ......

Whether you liked TSWONS or not , and are either eagerly awaiting the new project or could not give a toss about it - one thing must be respected - that is to give Ian the credit that is due for having the testicles to do them ........

I am looking forward to viewing the finished product , and if the examples of the new material is anything to go by , it will be a pleasurable experience .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hello Martin,

I'm not aware of the terms of any specific agreements but I don't think the project recouped on costs, therefore I assume royalties will not yet be payable.

I do, however, know of some individual cases where artists agreed to perform for free because they didn't expect the project to ever make a profit.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

...I'm not aware of the terms of any specific agreements but I don't think the project recouped on costs, therefore I assume royalties will not yet be payable...

Hello again Martin,

Ian Levine has confirmed that his company has (so far) only recouped around 15% of the £80,000.00 it cost to make SWONS.

If and when the project goes into profit, his company is obliged to share the profits with the artists.

That's the deal.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

I post this on here because there are a majority of people on Soul Source who aren't closed minded.

In the full knowledge that as soon as I post it, Pikey's Dog, Jumping Joan, Tomangoes, Sister Dawn, and Black and White, will all hail me as the antichrist.

So what ??

I love it.

We welcomed new records at the Mecca and The Torch alongside the rarities, if they had the right sound.

You can keep your Arthur Willis and The Soulful Dynamics, give me The Concentrations and "Man On The Spot" any day.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

I post this on here because there are a majority of people on Soul Source who aren't closed minded.

In the full knowledge that as soon as I post it, Pikey's Dog, Jumping Joan, Tomangoes, Sister Dawn, and Black and White, will all hail me as the antichrist.

So what ??

I love it.

We welcomed new records at the Mecca and The Torch alongside the rarities, if they had the right sound.

You can keep your Arthur Willis and The Soulful Dynamics, give me The Concentrations and "Man On The Spot" any day.

">

Social source share

==========

well hello ian - welcome to Soul Source again!

Hi Mark.

It had to be done.

I hope my free speech doesn't get curtailed. I have suffered in silence for too long - time to hit back.

Social source share

And just to bring the thread back to the 200 Floorfillers five disc box set, here's Bobby Hutton and "Lend A Hand" - BRAND NEW.

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

Is it the double sided demo?

No it was both sides.

I sold all my Northern biggies in 2003, mainly to Tim Brown and Pat Brady and Shifty.

I have tons of vinyl sevens left but it's all cheap stuff.

After the Rocket, I had had enough forever. I make records - I don't need to DJ. I enjoy writing songs much more. Making new records with acts like The Flirtations is far better.

Social source share

Hi Mark.

It had to be done.

I hope my free speech doesn't get curtailed. I have suffered in silence for too long - time to hit back.

Welcome back Mr L :P .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hello again Martin,

Ian Levine has confirmed that his company has (so far) only recouped around 15% of the £80,000.00 it cost to make SWONS.

If and when the project goes into profit, his company is obliged to share the profits with the artists.

That's the deal.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Thanks for clearing that up Paul, fingers crossed.

Martin.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!