doowopmick

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

Can you help me out what is the difference between Calla 143 and 152. Which is the one to have or does it not matter?

Cheers Mike

I've got this for sale £25 plus postage to you sir. It's Calla 143.

jeanwells.jpg

Bloody good record.

I like the version Butch plays as well, but no 'better' than this one in my humble opinion.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I've got this for sale £25 plus postage to you sir. It's Calla 143.

jeanwells.jpg

Bloody good record.

I like the version Butch plays as well, but no 'better' than this one in my humble opinion.

You are quite plainly MAD James the version Butch plays is far superior IMVFHO to either of the two Calla releases the backing vocals just lift the whole record to another level IMVFHO of course ;o))

JoT

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Johnny, I should have made it clear that I have only ever heard Butch play it at the 100 club, and I hear the other version on my sub woofered up mega wattage Harmon/Kardon sound system in my car, recorded onto mini disc through a valve mixer. Perhaps not the best way to compare the two records, so you may well be right!unsure.gif

Besides, I'm trying to sell a record here. Zip it!headbonk.gif

I've thought about offering Ady my car for the 25th aniversary thing. We could park it on the stage, put some decks on the dash board, open the doors and boot and crank it up.thumbup1.gif

Sorry Ady, us Essex boys like our sound systems.blushing.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Johnny, I should have made it clear that I have only ever heard Butch play it at the 100 club, and I hear the other version on my sub woofered up mega wattage Harmon/Kardon sound system in my car, recorded onto mini disc through a valve mixer. Perhaps not the best way to compare the two records, so you may well be right!unsure.gif

Besides, I'm trying to sell a record here. Zip it!headbonk.gif

I've thought about offering Ady my car for the 25th aniversary thing. We could park it on the stage, put some decks on the dash board, open the doors and boot and crank it up.thumbup1.gif

Sorry Ady, us Essex boys like our sound systems.blushing.gif

Can you drive a JPS 3.0i Ford Capri down the stairs at the 100???

In deference to James Plea just buy the Jean Wells you'll never own Butch's copy and they are all great well worth £25 of anybody's money (That better?)

John

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The legendary John Player Special. Now THAT is a car.

jps.jpg

3 ltre, twin carburettor, front disc brakes, 122mph top speed, 0-60 in 9 seconds and a pair of fluffy dice.

The ladies love 'em.cool.gif

And I bet Bodie and Doyle could get one down there. Up on two wheels, down the stairs and a hand brake turn at the bottom.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Can you help me out what is the difference between Calla 143 and 152. Which is the one to have or does it not matter?

Cheers Mike

The tune is different in the chorus, possibly some other differences but I can't think what at the moment. Only own 152 but I think I've got both as RAs, can have a look tonight if you like? I like the unissued version - backing vocals are great - but think it sounds a bit 'messy' compared to the Calla issues.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The legendary John Player Special. Now THAT is a car.

jps.jpg

Is that photo taken at the 100 Club it certainly looks like she is wearing a circle skirt to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW i always prefered the 2.8i always thought it had a better power to weight ratio than the 3.0 LOL and the RS2000 beat them both on handling and fuffy dice capability

JoT

Social source share

Butch's version is far better, it has male backing for a start and finishes the record off IMO.  The other two just aren't ther same, although superb Northern Soul.

Oh and the two Calla releases are slightly different vocal takes and probably slightly different in the mix. You can hear the difference.

Social source share

Come on Chalky IYHO what is the better version 152 or 143.

Cheers Mike

I prefer 143 (probably cause thats the one I got ;-) )

152 has more bass and balls to it.

If Mike has no objections (or Ady cause he's released them on CD) I can post some ra's for you to listen to and compare.

Having said all that just buy one of them, Northern Soul as good as it gets and cheap @ £25.

Social source share

I prefer 143 (probably cause thats the one I got ;-) )

152 has more bass and balls to it.

If Mike has no objections (or Ady cause he's released them on CD) I can post some ra's for you to listen to and compare.

Having said all that just buy one of them, Northern Soul as good as it gets and cheap @ £25.

Deffo 143 IMHO, it's clearer in the mix, the horns etc stand out that bit better IMO.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!