The Soul Scene Ain'T That Bad After All

Len

The Soul Scene Ain’t That Bad After All!

We’ve analysed the negatives of the Soul Scene to death now (trying somehow to put them right I suppose) As has been pointed out many times though, this tends to paint a very gloomy picture of the soul scene and any ‘Outsider’ reading it would wonder why we bother going out at all!

So I thought it would be nice to have an absolutely positive thread to brighten up a gloomy Monday. I’ve just had a great weekend - I went to a ‘gig’ in ‘The Golden City’ of Coventry and we have a ‘Well Established Upfront All-nighter’ to look forward to this Saturday ;o) So in ‘The Real World’ things aren’t that bad after all are they?

I’d like you to list a few ‘positives’ about the soul scene, they can be absolutely anything - just make sure they're good things! I’ll start with these –

1) I met Gilly!

2) Jeanie Tracy – Making New Friends.

3) I was at Soul Sam’s 70th at Boomerang.

4) Soul Sam’s coming to Northants again in December.

5) I met my Wife Nina (100 Club) and a couple of beautiful kids soon followed - (Two of the many ‘Ady’s Children’!)

Ooooops – In no particular order! Lol (Sorry wife) – Over to you guys...

All the best,

Len.

P.s – If this thread turns nasty, there really is no hope! :O(

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

wouldnt know where to start in singing the praises of the Soul Scene, made so many great friends from all over the country and beyond, amazing music, some great venues and some awsome shite venues (just how i like them) an awsome website in SS that keeps me and everyone else informed and in touch,

funny thing is when the shit hits the fan you know who your mates are and this scene has some great people that ive known only for a few years and been more supportive in many ways than my life long freinds out of the scene have been,

take a bow Soulies cos it may get a bit sheetty at times but when it matters this scene is always there for when you need it and long my it continue i say :hatsoff2:

Social source share

the best thing for me is the ammount of tunes out there and the knowledge...always hearing or being told about 'new' tunes...will never know it all...and could be on you tube forever but would still miss tunes you here about either on the floor or via others collections

second has to be the people...always meeting and chatting to new people who unlike some of the threads on the internet are always polite and welcoming no bad attitudes when out and about and ive done a few scenes...attending as a punter and djing at scootering, indie and reggae venues and going to techno and drum and bass venues for a few years....none can compere with the soul scene...

third...ive always collected vinyl since i was getting them bought for me when i was about 5 to playing my dads before that!....so a scene which i believe will always play vinyl whether original or not is a big draw for me....went to a reggae do in bristol which i hadnt been to in a couple of years and found the dj to be playing via a laptop and cds...made a tongue in cheek remark about what no vinyl? and he went off on one...more attitude in a couple of minutes than ive ever witnessed at a soul night....

and going to different venues every week is also great rather than staying in the same city doing the same venues every week...or month!!!...maybe this also contributes to the less attitude we have with so many people driving a lot less drink and other stuff consumed...very rarly see drunks staggering about mouthing off

so yes its a great scene...if youre a new or younger soul sourcer who scared to go out DONT BE!!! youre mising out on some brilliant nites ...long may it continue...i hope...'it will never be over for me' (sorry!)....or at least till i can only make a shuffle around my music room to some mid tempo stuff!

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So I thought it would be nice to have an absolutely positive thread to brighten up a gloomy Monday. I’ve just had a great weekend - I went to a ‘gig’ in ‘The Golden City’ of Coventry

Good to catch up with you Saturday Len, although I did drink too much :D:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice one Len.

Being relatively new to this complex, organic, light and dark thing that I'm starting to understand is known as the "Soul Scene", as I posted on your last thread Len, it's been a wholesome 99% positive journey / experience for me so far.

For me personally, in no particular order:-

- Have met and continue to meet dozens of good interestin' people;

- Heard more AMAZING records this year to date than any year I can recall before it;

- Love the fact that there's thousands more records I've yet to hear for the first time;

- Been to more local (and less local) events this year than any year before and want to try more;

- Collecting is more addictive than ever and can't think of too many other monthly "bills" that make me smile as much!;

- Playing some records outside the house for first time this year has been scary but great fun and I respect established DJ's more than ever as a result!;

- Appreciate more than ever the FULL spectrum of soul music, and not just Northern;

- There's so much more to learn!

How many days to the weekend / how many days until Soul Sam visits my home town?! :thumbup:

All the best,

Steve :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had not one but two moaning btards giving me some real stick on sat night but I went home as ever with smile on my face, loads of fresh tunes in my head and memories of another great night. the positves always outway the negatives, ie there's more decnt folk on the scene than tossers.

Social source share

Which venue has swings and roundabouts on Julie ? I get bored sometimes and like nowt better than a bit o swingin around :rofl:

i like it Ian' your funny man :D

Social source share

I have had the time of my life over the last 14 years of attending events regularly. I've been all over the country and abroad, met some wonderful people and 'found myself' on dance floors dancing like no-one is looking. I have laughed so hard my sides split. Danced so much my body broke. Driven more miles than a salesman. Heard more music than I could ever have wished for.

WOOOHOOOO :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soul over easy

luckily every weekend theres somewhere to go whatever ure tastes are,, we are very fortunate to have this at our age..#

despite the politics its a great scene with fab people

the scene is somewhere where u can forget ur troubles for at least 8 hours and just enjoy yourself with like minded people

ive just celebrated 30 years on this scene and am enjoying it as much as i did on the first niter in 1981...

just enjoy it while we can is what i say!!

met mark around 83 ? when we use to attend the odd fellows nighter in leicester,been mates ever since, ,ive met some fantastic folks through the scene ,been to some memorable venues,and the music is second to none for me. Seen some outstanding dancers over the years both male and female, couple of times ive found meself behind bars lol,but even in the porridge factory would go down the gym and the gym screw was from market harborough a mad soulie.He would play northern constanlty for us,even behind bars two soules one a con and one ascrew became good friends...thats northern soul for you...best music ,best scene ,even when we moan ,and great people involved with it ...respect to you one and all,weather,youre newies,oldies,collectors,dj,s,dancers,youre soulies...ktf.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Just look on here. People ask for help, and others are falling over themselves to offer it.

There are even instances of people not asking for help, and getting it anyway. (Kirsty sent me a record player in the post, despite us never having met. How great is that?)

There are so many truely great people on this scene. Its a real breath of fresh air, still, from mainstream life.

Social source share

the fact the soul scene exists and is true to its word, it binds us all together and welcomes newcomers with family arms,its escapism from the reality of an outside world that is false, hypocritical and unforgiving. its about real music written, directed, arranged and sung by real musicians, unsung hero's not "15 minutes of fame" instantly forgettable boring wasters. the satisfaction is that in a hundred years time no other trend will be able to touch the excitement & vibrancy of northern soul....the same as it is today. no other music creates a driving urge to get on the dancefloor, that sends tingles down your spine when its a tune that you particularly love...that makes you travel unimaginable distances to get your kicks and baffles ordinary people, as to why you do it....that is the very reason why we're here talking about it now...its the most brilliant time consuming drug that you just cant get enough of and even if you move to live in far flung places its magnetism is never far away as almost every civlised country on the face of this island earth has heard of it and worse....has been infected by it!! :D once its in your system its a habit you cant break...if we all had one dream, could it be to have been born and at that very moment we were indoctrinated by the music,..as it is, we will all live and die with it in our brains, our veins and in our bodies and souls.

whats not to like about our scene and our music? :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest soul over easy

I just luv the whole vibe....have done since i was 12,.....soul music that is.....with the Sound of Philly...Backstabbers..being the first single i purchased..in the newly decimal change over of the early 70s...witnessing ...not realising ...northern soul dancing...at a London end of Term school disco....being blown away ..by seeing Footsie ..on TOTPs in 75...thinking???...foooking helll!!!!!..and not realisng ..when i eventually got myself to a northern do..in the late 70s...that ...this would be it..from now on..the intrigue..of seeing white working class kids dancing...their hearts out....in the way...us black kids have always done....was phenomenal...and still is to me now...it never ceases to amaze me...that when the achlemy is right...there is no place on this planet i would want to be...Del...xxxx

youve brought a tear to me eye miss delfonic xxx.
Social source share

The Soul Scene Ain’t That Bad After All!

I’d like you to list a few ‘positives’ about the soul scene, they can be absolutely anything - just make sure they're good things! I’ll start with these –

1) I met Gilly!

That's always going to be a plus..... One of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met!

3) I was at Soul Sam’s 70th at Boomerang.

4) Soul Sam’s coming to Northants again in December.

Again,, a gentleman and as enthusiastic about the music as he ever was......

5) I met my Wife Nina (100 Club) and a couple of beautiful kids soon followed - (Two of the many ‘Ady’s Children’!)

Does Ady know that two of your children are really his?!!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The soul scene ain't bad, it's fabulous!

I stumbled into the soul scene by accident after purchasing a huge 45 collection with a ton (and I mean a ton, but the best bits are gone) of Northern Soul, funk, crossovers and the like, and I was hooked.

I went to SoulTrip in Chicago for just a couple of days (we were going to the UK a week later, so $ was tighter), but had an absolutely incredible experience hanging out with Indiana Dave, Johnny Redpants, and the ultra-cool Barry Simpson from Australia. Had a chance to meet a bunch of other top people and have continued to soak in the knowledge that everyone has been so incredibly gracious to share.

The soul 45 collection (and LPs) has continued to grow nicely during this time as well.

I had a chance to play my first-ever soul set at SoulTrip Orlando 2011 and was hooked on DJing! The amount of amazing and lovely people I met in Orlando was incredible. Met up with Mr. Redpants, Indiana Dave, the lovely Chris L. and loads more.

It's an amazing scene, and someday hope to do a little DJ set in the UK and catch a soul nighter or two.

Cheers!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

1, Ian & Paul DJ spot at the Ritz reunion bloody fantastic, took me back years & put a smile on my face for weeks.

1, Seing Simon Hunt back to his true self.

1, meeting Kev Moore for the first time.

1, Lynn & Rob Gray getting it together with a ring.

1, John M for all the good news, i pray it keeps coming John.

1, Claire the thanks is all mine!.

lots moor but all above are the ones i think about most & the last two every day.

Steve J

Social source share

youve brought a tear to me eye miss delfonic xxx.

Soft Fook..... :P ..am gonna miss yer sorry ass....yer better be back for Pressy ...ok darling....am choked too.... :) ..only cos i didnt swallow ..when i should have :wicked: .....cya .,...Hola....get yerself to Barcelona...some very fine Spanish soulies out there darling yer will be blown away.......xxxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!