New Event In Sheffield?

Guest ShaneH

Heard a few rumours that Sam Moore is starting a new venture at the Adelphi in Attercliffe, Sheffield.

Can anyone confirm this?

My office is 200 yds from this venue and I would like to know more.

Cheers

Shane

• Replies 35
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Saw flyers for it at the weekend.

Not sure how well it will do - the venue isn't suited to Northern (though it could attract 'New Blood' - if the flyers weren't so shoddy)

Remember someone else attempting a night there that fell flat on it's arse as well.

when is it joe?

monthly?

DJ's?

Shane

I can see why the Sheffield lot may be a little disgruntled to be honest.

I know it's a free country but recently a few venues have got together to enure that dates dont clash. surely there should be some territory ettiquette too?

perhaps i aint living in the real world?

Shane

I can see why the Sheffield lot may be a little disgruntled to be honest.

I know it's a free country but recently a few venues have got together to enure that dates dont clash. surely there should be some territory ettiquette too?

perhaps i aint living in the real world?

Shane

Totally agree with you for once Shane. Local lads should run the local venues. Look at all the other nights in South Yorks, all run successfully by folks who live locally & have worked hard to get where they are, not only that, all ran by folks who do it for the love of the music, not for the chance of making a quick buck.

Anyway who in there right mind would want to be in Attercliffe at 6 in the morning?

Unbelievable.

It's a free country, but obviously not a free soul scene??

As a punter, I want choice. And I want quality, which I am more likely to get if there is healthy competition between events.

I agree on the matter of date clashes as it affects the numbers in attendance and gives too much choice on one weekend and not enough on another.

BUT .... this sounds like Ice Cream Wars!! :yes:

IMHO :thumbsup:

Unbelievable.

It's a free country, but obviously not a free soul scene??

As a punter, I want choice. And I want quality, which I am more likely to get if there is healthy competition between events.

IMHO whistling.gif

Healthy competion is fine when we`re not dealing with something as fickle as soul fans. The "ile give that one a miss this week and try that one as it`ll be on again next month anyway" in the Yorkshire/Lincs area is all to common when there are plenty of events going off. Fact is a lot of them wont be on again next month as they need regular punters.

post-2589-1132090652_thumb.jpg

Im the promoter of soulphisticated in sheffield all i can say is i wish all promoters the best of look on there new ventures.It doe'snt matter to me if promoters decide to promote there nights on the same night has everyone has there own style in music wether northern or modern

www.soulphisticated.net

Typical sam moore after all the arguments over the clashes with winsford last year and the effort steve and dave went to building bridges with other promoters sam does it again,hardly supriseing though.

ohmy.gif politics ,politics, politics ....The soul scene is becoming more like the house of commons every week.Or is it the house of horrors.Ermm ? Alway's seems to be some one tearing strips off anothers back.What happened to the meanings behind K.T.F, KEEP ON KEEPING ON, SOUL SURVIVOR..The scene once renowned for it's freindly ,welcoming atmosphere,the extended family.Where signs proudly hung on walls, with qoutes such as,"There are no strangers here,just friends you've not yet met..

I used to tell my none soulie friends,that the soul scene ,was a place where you were greeted with hugs and hand shakes,fights that you get down the town centres ,were seldom seen in the venues,and that true soulies had a mutual respect for each other,as well as the music..

And whats this thing with D.J.s..quote"no one to name"So if your not one of the big names you don't deserve a spot.Paleeease...How did these big named D.J.s,get big?...They too ,had to start off ,as a nobody to mention type,and work there way up to the reputation they earned.So they of all people, should show some respect to the ones just stepping on to the ladder.Being that they were once there too.

How easy it is for people to forget where they came from..I am glad that we get to hear fresh talent on the decks.They have the balls to play the records ,that the top named D.J.s won,t play in fear of their reputation.The under dogs have nothing to lose,and iv'e heard some unknown D.J.s ,play some cracking stuff.obscure and under played ,along with some good oldies..And they play to the dance floor , not the other D.j.s in attendace.

Besides if we don,t give people the chance to play,We will soon become bored with the same old.I welcome all new venues and D.J.s alike..nuff said

Edited by asoulfulgal

ohmy.gif politics ,politics, politics ....The soul scene is becoming more like the house of commons every week.Or is it the house of horrors.Ermm ? Alway's seems to be some one tearing strips off anothers back.What happened to the meanings behind K.T.F, KEEP ON KEEPING ON, SOUL SURVIVOR..The scene once renowned for it's freindly ,welcoming atmosphere,the extended family.Where signs proudly hung on walls, with qoutes such as,"There are no strangers here,just friends you've not yet met..

I used to tell my none soulie friends,that the soul scene ,was a place where you were greeted with hugs and hand shakes,fights that you get down the town centres ,were seldom seen in the venues,and that true soulies had a mutual respect for each other,as well as the music..

And whats this thing with D.J.s..quote"no one to name"So if your not one of the big names you don't deserve a spot.Paleeease...How did these big named D.J.s,get big?...They too ,had to start off ,as a nobody to mention type,and work there way up to the reputation they earned.So they of all people, should show some respect to the ones just stepping on to the ladder.Being that they were once there too.

How easy it is for people to forget where they came from..I am glad that we get to hear fresh talent on the decks.They have the balls to play the records ,that the top named D.J.s won,t play in fear of their reputation.The under dogs have nothing to lose,and iv'e heard some unknown D.J.s ,play some cracking stuff.obscure and under played ,along with some good oldies..And they play to the dance floor , not the other D.j.s in attendace.

Besides if we don,t give people the chance to play,We will soon become bored with the same old.I welcome all new venues and D.J.s alike..nuff said

therefore you are basically saying that it is best all round if promoters just do what they want to do and do not communicate with anyone?

as for unknown DJ's not getting a chance. i suggest you take a look at the vast amount of events available these days and explain how all the big dj's manage to play them all. everyone seems to be a DJ these days which explains why we have a soul night at the end of every street.

and all those terms mention, ie ktf just make my stomach churn. :wub:

my opinions obviously

Shane

therefore you are basically saying that it is best all round if promoters just do what they want to do and do not communicate with anyone?

as for unknown DJ's not getting a chance. i suggest you take a look at the vast amount of events available these days and explain how all the big dj's manage to play them all. everyone seems to be a DJ these days which explains why we have a soul night at the end of every street.

and all those terms mention, ie ktf just make my stomach churn. ohmy.gif

my opinions obviously

Shane

Of course i do not think that promotors should just do what they like ,regardless.I have good friends, who run venues and niters, And i am very aware of the time, trouble,and expense involved.My point is ,there is no need for bitching and back biting amongst those who do run venues.I have seen long term friendships shattered ,over the clash of a venue.people basically taking the p..s out of a venue ,because they have a different music policy.My point is ,if you don,t like r.n b you don,t go to the r.n b venues ,if your not into rare don,t go to a rare venue.but don,t take the p..s out of it ,just because it's not your cup of tea.And thats what i meant about politics.as for the d.j comment i made.I did not say they don,t get a chance.I was having a dig at one of the comments made in this topic ,that referred to the d.j line up ,and only knowing a couple of the names.which suggested to me ,that because they were not top d.j s the venue was not up for much.(my opinion)I just think sometimes the top d.js get above themselves.And need reminding every now and then that they were not always a top d.j.bareing in mind that some of my closest friends are top d.js. I think there are far too many small local venues ,that tend to clash.leaving punters with too many choices,and half filled venues.And this is down to politics too.some venues are deliberatley set up to clash with another.because of some past feud between promotors,who want to get even.none of my comments or opinions were personal to you or any one else. they were just my opinions.

oh just for the record writing such things as k.t f ect .made my stomach churn too lol,but was used ,just to get point across.every one needs to relax a little more forget politics ,music policies,and just have a bloody good time and enjoy the music that they choose to go and listen to.I am still learning how to use this site ,so i some times get it wrong.this reply was for shane h .sorry andy did not mean it to go on your comment.

Edited by asoulfulgal

Of course i do not think that promotors should just do what they like ,regardless.I have good friends, who run venues and niters, And i am very aware of the time, trouble,and expense involved.My point is ,there is no need for bitching and back biting amongst those who do run venues.I have seen long term friendships shattered ,over the clash of a venue.people basically taking the p..s out of a venue ,because they have a different music policy.My point is ,if you don,t like r.n b you don,t go to the r.n b venues ,if your not into rare don,t go to a rare venue.but don,t take the p..s out of it ,just because it's not your cup of tea.And thats what i meant about politics.as for the d.j comment i made.I did not say they don,t get a chance.I was having a dig at one of the comments made in this topic ,that referred to the d.j line up ,and only knowing a couple of the names.which suggested to me ,that because they were not top d.j s the venue was not up for much.(my opinion)I just think sometimes the top d.js get above themselves.And need reminding every now and then that they were not always a top d.j.bareing in mind that some of my closest friends are top d.js. I think there are far too many small local venues ,that tend to clash.leaving punters with too many choices,and half filled venues.And this is down to politics too.some venues are deliberatley set up to clash with another.because of some past feud between promotors,who want to get even.none of my comments or opinions were personal to you or any one else. they were just my opinions.

oh just for the record writing such things as k.t f ect .made my stomach churn too lol,but was used ,just to get point across.every one needs to relax a little more forget politics ,music policies,and just have a bloody good time and enjoy the music that they choose to go and listen to.I am still learning how to use this site ,so i some times get it wrong.this reply was for shane h .sorry andy did not mean it to go on your comment.

Good points made there...Most people on the scene are good eggs,we will always have a few baddies too..As long as we know who they are then we can keep the hell away from them...

Rev..Kenny Lynch...Love and peace x

Good points made there...Most people on the scene are good eggs,we will always have a few baddies too..As long as we know who they are then we can keep the hell away from them...

Rev..Kenny Lynch...Love and peace x

cheers stevie,glad some one is getting my drift

cheers stevie,glad some one is getting my drift

Hi

i dont get your drift to be honest. i just saw the new event in sheffield a little different to you. i know all of the sheffield promoters and they all get on with each other very well. then along comes a new allnighter with no local DJ's and without any discussion with the current mob. i can see why it alarms one or two.

i wish this new venture all the best by the way. :D

Shane

Dave Rimmer and Brian Rae are the only name DJs...

Others, never heard of in the main.

Couldn't tell you if it's monthly or not as I looked at the flyer, decided not to bother and forgot about the majority of the details.

Pissed a few local promoters / Dj's off though.

Not suprised it's pissed off other local promoters when the fliers have comments on them like"putting the soul back into Sheffield" & then get handed out at established Sheffield nights.

Nowt wrong with competition but that's just taking the piss.

Be interesting to see how many show up :D

Not suprised it's pissed off other local promoters when the fliers have comments on them like"putting the soul back into Sheffield" & then get handed out at established Sheffield nights.

Nowt wrong with competition but that's just taking the piss.

Be interesting to see how many show up :D

i agree with that :D

Shane

Hi

i dont get your drift to be honest. i just saw the new event in sheffield a little different to you. i know all of the sheffield promoters and they all get on with each other very well. then along comes a new allnighter with no local DJ's and without any discussion with the current mob. i can see why it alarms one or two.

Shane

Fair comment shane.I don,t know if i would know the sheffield lot,useless at names and areas.But i do understand your point of view.However my points of view were aimed at the soul scene in general and not this particular venue.

'I was having a dig at one of the comments made in this topic ,that referred to the d.j line up ,and only knowing a couple of the names.which suggested to me ,that because they were not top d.j s the venue was not up for much.(my opinion)I just think sometimes the top d.js get above themselves.And need reminding every now and then that they were not always a top d.j..

As one of the two 'big name DJs' who were named in this topic, and the only one who is actually on this forum I felt I had to respond to the above comment.

Firstly, it wasn't me that made the comment about only knowing two of the names on the flyer, so how you can then jump to implying that I am 'above myself' is somewhat confusing. Perhaps that's not what you meant to say, but that's what came across to me. I would like to think that I am one of the most approachable people around, and certainly don't have an attitude about being 'a big name DJ', as I'm sure most of the large Sheffield contingent on here will agree having spent more than one drunken night in their company.

Secondly, I'm not a promoter of any event, so am grateful for any booking that is offered to me, fortunately, promoters think I can do the job they want of me, because I'm lucky enough to work nearly every weekend, and I very rarely refuse a booking whether it's a weekender with 3000 people there, or a local Soul night with 30 people there. And when I say lucky enough I mean that, hell what better way is there to spend time than playing some of my favourite records to people, and getting paid to do it !

Thirdly, having been a regular DJ at Samanthas allnighters, and a guest at Ponds Forge for the last couple of years I can understand the local Sheffield lads feelings on this one, and I personally wouldn't like to see this allnighter affect their venues at all. Personally I don't think it will to be honest, but I would hate to think that by accepting this booking I contributed to a lowering of numbers at the already established Sheffield events.And there is also some self interest in that statement because I'd like to continue being asked to DJ at Samanthas and Ponds Forge. I would also point out that I am actively promoting the December Samanthas by handing out the invitations for free admission to everyone who I think might attend.

Finally, I accept that as soon as I stand behind a set of decks I am open to criticism, quite rightly because I understand that not everyone will enjoy all the records I play, and after all, the people who pay to get in are the ones who have the right to criticise. But, and this is the point, by being a recognised 'name' I accept that criticism, and if it's jusitified will respond to it (Let's face it, I do over fifty sets a year, I'm going to have a couple of crap ones amongst them, and I usually know myself when I've done a crap one), however, I stand up using my own name, both behind the decks, and on Soul Source, and consequently stand by what I say and do. Unfortunately, I have no idea who you are because you use 'asoulfulgal'. It may turn out that I know you, and you know me, in which case you would also realise that your comments shouldn't by implication be applied to me. If we don't know each other, you should perhaps think a little more carefully about how your comments would be interpreted when they involve the names of people who are also on the forum.

By the way, this is no way meant to be a personal attack, and if you come and introduce yourself next Saturday, I'll buy you a drink and have a laugh about it because life's much to short to stress about things like this for any longer than it's taken me to type this post.

I'll be quite honest if i wasn't playing (afternoon session) and attending the full day event at Soul or Nothing Manchester, then i would have probably attended this event. Can't see where it really affects the other Sheffield events (all of which i have attended..and will continue to do so)...I enjoy travelling around to as many different events as my income/family allows but it is refreshing to get back in my own bed within half an hour of a night/nighter finishing.

Brett Franklin...(From Sheffield...A soul fan and raconteur....)

Hi

Shane

I'm surprised at your attitude Shane, and at one or two posters on this thread. As far as I know Ponds Forge is the only decent, forward looking regular event in Sheffield and I would have thought you would welcome something new although admittedly it doesn't look like being a particularly upfront night.

Your comments about local DJs are astonishing! Logically you think the 100 club should only use DJs from within the M25 then, do you? How parochial can you get?

Its quite noticeable that Mark hasn't been on this thread bleating, and all credit to him for that.

Also I think its out of order the guy suggesting that Sam is only interested in a "quick buck" when Sam aint on here to defend himself.

I'm surprised at your attitude Shane, and at one or two posters on this thread. As far as I know Ponds Forge is the only decent, forward looking regular event in Sheffield and I would have thought you would welcome something new although admittedly it doesn't look like being a particularly upfront night.

Your comments about local DJs are astonishing! Logically you think the 100 club should only use DJs from within the M25 then, do you? How parochial can you get?

Its quite noticeable that Mark hasn't been on this thread bleating, and all credit to him for that.

Also I think its out of order the guy suggesting that Sam is only interested in a "quick buck" when Sam aint on here to defend himself.

OK Dave i'll take back the quick buck comment i made & apologise for it but i totally stand by the other comment i made as it's totally out of order to make comments like those that appeared on the flier ("putting the soul back into Sheffield").

If Sam Moore is gonna make comments like this he's got to expect some remarks thrown back at him dont you think?

OK Dave i'll take back the quick buck comment i made & apologise for it but i totally stand by the other comment i made as it's totally out of order to make comments like those that appeared on the flier ("putting the soul back into Sheffield").

If Sam Moore is gonna make comments like this he's got to expect some remarks thrown back at him dont you think?

I didn't say anything about the flyer as I haven't seen it.

The way you've described it, I can see it might grate a little :D ..... but I would guess it wasn't intentional.

hi dave

i aint totally against this event to put the record straight. i aint a promoter I am just a punter like you Dave.

i just found it all a bit of a surprise really considering the current climate of events working together. i suppose i am being a little protective of the people (friends too) running the sheffield soul scene. Ponds forge gets a good crowd in but could benefit from a few more now and again. same with sams. then along comes another nighter that isnt going to do either of those events a favour. these days a lot of people only venture out once a month and with the increased choice i dont think any of the events are going to benefit. this also doesnt benefit the punters as when numbers are down the atmosphere can be affected obviously.

i will probably go to one of these events cos i dont feel that strong about it. i know sam and he has always been more than nice to me. so i do wish him luck and I hope this is a positive addition to the sheffield soul scene. i just think things work better when its less competitive. i hope this explains my feelings.

with regards to local dj's invited to play at nighters i do feel strong about this. you cant compare the 100 club cos they only feature one or two guests and sometimes they are local anyway. i would like promoters to consider this and commercially you would think it would be beneficial to use local talent. thats my opinion anyway.

cheers

Shane

hi dave

i aint totally against this event to put the record straight. i aint a promoter I am just a punter like you Dave.

i just found it all a bit of a surprise really considering the current climate of events working together. i suppose i am being a little protective of the people (friends too) running the sheffield soul scene. Ponds forge gets a good crowd in but could benefit from a few more now and again. same with sams. then along comes another nighter that isnt going to do either of those events a favour. these days a lot of people only venture out once a month and with the increased choice i dont think any of the events are going to benefit. this also doesnt benefit the punters as when numbers are down the atmosphere can be affected obviously.

i will probably go to one of these events cos i dont feel that strong about it. i know sam and he has always been more than nice to me. so i do wish him luck and I hope this is a positive addition to the sheffield soul scene. i just think things work better when its less competitive. i hope this explains my feelings.

with regards to local dj's invited to play at nighters i do feel strong about this. you cant compare the 100 club cos they only feature one or two guests and sometimes they are local anyway. i would like promoters to consider this and commercially you would think it would be beneficial to use local talent. thats my opinion anyway.

cheers

Shane

Can't see how it will make much fifference to PF meself as its usually a different crowd at nighters to soul nights, as you know. As for Sams...well I think we discussed that event at the one before last :D:D

I understand what you are saying about local DJs but it depends on what they play, surely? For example we've got an event on in Peterborough soon which will not involve any of the more prominent local boys because they would not suit the music policy. Having said that we have not gone for "big name" DJs ether.

And btw, isn't Mort a local lad? :yes:

Pip, pip! :D

As one of the two 'big name DJs' who were named in this topic, and the only one who is actually on this forum I felt I had to respond to the above comment.

Firstly, it wasn't me that made the comment about only knowing two of the names on the flyer, so how you can then jump to implying that I am 'above myself' is somewhat confusing. Perhaps that's not what you meant to say, but that's what came across to me. I would like to think that I am one of the most approachable people around, and certainly don't have an attitude about being 'a big name DJ', as I'm sure most of the large Sheffield contingent on here will agree having spent more than one drunken night in their company.

Secondly, I'm not a promoter of any event, so am grateful for any booking that is offered to me, fortunately, promoters think I can do the job they want of me, because I'm lucky enough to work nearly every weekend, and I very rarely refuse a booking whether it's a weekender with 3000 people there, or a local Soul night with 30 people there. And when I say lucky enough I mean that, hell what better way is there to spend time than playing some of my favourite records to people, and getting paid to do it !

Thirdly, having been a regular DJ at Samanthas allnighters, and a guest at Ponds Forge for the last couple of years I can understand the local Sheffield lads feelings on this one, and I personally wouldn't like to see this allnighter affect their venues at all. Personally I don't think it will to be honest, but I would hate to think that by accepting this booking I contributed to a lowering of numbers at the already established Sheffield events.And there is also some self interest in that statement because I'd like to continue being asked to DJ at Samanthas and Ponds Forge. I would also point out that I am actively promoting the December Samanthas by handing out the invitations for free admission to everyone who I think might attend.

Finally, I accept that as soon as I stand behind a set of decks I am open to criticism, quite rightly because I understand that not everyone will enjoy all the records I play, and after all, the people who pay to get in are the ones who have the right to criticise. But, and this is the point, by being a recognised 'name' I accept that criticism, and if it's jusitified will respond to it (Let's face it, I do over fifty sets a year, I'm going to have a couple of crap ones amongst them, and I usually know myself when I've done a crap one), however, I stand up using my own name, both behind the decks, and on Soul Source, and consequently stand by what I say and do. Unfortunately, I have no idea who you are because you use 'asoulfulgal'. It may turn out that I know you, and you know me, in which case you would also realise that your comments shouldn't by implication be applied to me. If we don't know each other, you should perhaps think a little more carefully about how your comments would be interpreted when they involve the names of people who are also on the forum.

By the way, this is no way meant to be a personal attack, and if you come and introduce yourself next Saturday, I'll buy you a drink and have a laugh about it because life's much to short to stress about things like this for any longer than it's taken me to type this post.

dave ,can i start by saying that at no time did i imply you were above your self,infact i never mentioned your name,or any one else's for that matter.It was purely a general observation.I thought and forgive me if im wrong.that the forum was a place where you share your views.Thats all i did was share my views.At the end of the day,i was basically saying i don,t do politics,and think there are too many politics on the scene.It would appear that i have opened a large bag of worms here.i will apoligise to any one who thinks my thread was personal,but i will not say sorry for having opinions
Guest dundeedavie

i know i'm not from the area .... BUT if he is putting remarks like that on fliers then stand back and see if he can back it up or not

if he does good luck to him , if he doesn't then you can nail him to the cross you seem to be building

Davie

dave ,can i start by saying that at no time did i imply you were above your self,infact i never mentioned your name,or any one else's for that matter.It was purely a general observation.I thought and forgive me if im wrong.that the forum was a place where you share your views.Thats all i did was share my views.At the end of the day,i was basically saying i don,t do politics,and think there are too many politics on the scene.It would appear that i have opened a large bag of worms here.i will apoligise to any one who thinks my thread was personal,but i will not say sorry for having opinions

I appreciate that you didn't use my name or any other name, but you referred to a post that did use my name, and that's why I responded.

I've no intention of stopping anyone voicing an opinion either, so you carry on, I just didn't want people interpreting your original post incorrectly.

So, which big name DJs do you think are 'above themselves' ? :yes::P:P

Go on, name and shame yes.gif

I appreciate that you didn't use my name or any other name, but you referred to a post that did use my name, and that's why I responded.

I've no intention of stopping anyone voicing an opinion either, so you carry on, I just didn't want people interpreting your original post incorrectly.

So, which big name DJs do you think are 'above themselves' ? :wicked::unsure:ph34r.gif

Go on, name and shame blush.gif

lol ,sorry dave but that is something i will definitely be keeping to myself. And that is not because i'm a coward,but simply because i don,t want to make this personal to any one.like i said ,my comments were made purely to point out ,that there are to many politics,lets leave it at that.see you sat