Bradford Queens Hall Basement Photo's And Lost Video Footage 1990

Barry

Guest Nick Harrison

Good morning Barry :wave: - thanks for those :ohmy: . A good way to end this thread or open it up again. Those old lists still make good reading today, do you now own the full complete set of em.

Thanks again Barrington.

Kind regards,

Nikolas :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Oops and thanks for Chalky's assistance too. Have fun Barry at the first Scottish Weekender ...................is it rumoured you are doing a QH Basement themed set, up in them boarders next weekend ?

Take care - regards The Tw@t In The Hat :shhh: .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ste Brazil

Dingey little place, can barely remember what it looks like now, well if it wasn't for these pics... i was still 90% into 60's in those days, but bit by bit we started spending more time in the modern room - good times!

Social source share

wasn't always Modern down there, they had 60's at one time, well at least for one night :D

Not on the night that picture of Kerso and me with Shelvo was taken... Thankfully avoiding the camera as no doubt my eyes looked just like Kerso's!!

Great picture NIck, I avoided pics back in the day but love seeing them now, especially that one with my cheapo jacket out of Flip that looked cool but used to be absolutely dripping with sweat at end of the night.

Bradford was the beginning of the end for me in many ways it was start of my journey that ending up by throwing myself headlong into house (music not bricks obviously) and eternally grateful to Barry and crew for that, truly great days. Truly great pics NIck really captured the absolute madness and eclecticness of the crowd.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

wasn't always Modern down there, they had 60's at one time, well at least for one night :D

Yes Chalky the early 60's mafia, our ex hometown boy Guy Hennigan jocking, seem to recall early doors at the upstairs Rank (ice skating ring)...................then across the car park to the main event.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Not on the night that picture of Kerso and me with Shelvo was taken... Thankfully avoiding the camera as no doubt my eyes looked just like Kerso's!!

Great picture NIck, I avoided pics back in the day but love seeing them now, especially that one with my cheapo jacket out of Flip that looked cool but used to be absolutely dripping with sweat at end of the night.

Bradford was the beginning of the end for me in many ways it was start of my journey that ending up by throwing myself headlong into house (music not bricks obviously) and eternally grateful to Barry and crew for that, truly great days. Truly great pics NIck really captured the absolute madness and eclecticness of the crowd.

As you know Jock - you and I were not alone on that journey, like many, but so few on here, it was a natural progression into a musical advancement, in a developing acceptable fresh black america sound. Glad you came out of it in a lesser damaged health state than some of us :excl: , as I read your posts and sound clips on here, thus stating all is "quite still" in your life. :lol: :lol: .

Seriously glad it captured that era for you and Barry's uploads too Jocko, even if it did have you "going about your daily chore's with a new found strength". Well perhaps a little :shhh: .

And what of Kerso's where about's these days, never forgotten, always had a great taste for the dry powder's and ear's for a good tune, always knowledged up, and always musically alert.

Best regards,

Nikolas :D .

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Dingey little place, can barely remember what it looks like now, well if it wasn't for these pics... i was still 90% into 60's in those days, but bit by bit we started spending more time in the modern room - good times!

Better to have 10% of you down there than nothing Ste :thumbsup:

As you know, it's Bradford that tempted me away from the mod scene, and started my life long love affair with Northern, Modern, House, Garage, Dance ........ or as some of the older people upstairs referred to it (& I don't mean Crofty's mum) ..... Rave :lol:

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

I never turned into a racer (thank god!) but it was one of the places that opened my eyes a little, saying that, im a complete 70's obsessive these days so I haven't moved on that much, maybe in a decade or two ill reach the 80s and on my death bed ill discover rave!

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I never turned into a racer (thank god!) but it was one of the places that opened my eyes a little, saying that, im a complete 70's obsessive these days so I haven't moved on that much, maybe in a decade or two ill reach the 80s and on my death bed ill discover rave!

Just proves collecting Walter Jackson and your other 70's wants are so in keeping with the vast members of silent "Sleepwalkers" on soul source. So" let me come back".............should my very last youngest 2 boys be looking for a back catalogue of Defected record listings in 2032 of previous UK releases, I'll tell em' not to open your coffin lid Steve, :lol: :lol: cause your mis - termed musical genre' is so incorrect and so ill discovered, but if it give's you strength, your one of so many of the masses guilty of that on here. Never Rave :wicked: !!!!!

Look at the playlist's Barry posted Steve - they were just indemand new soul and garage released club sounds plus a little topping of house, nothing deep either, back then.

Stay bolted down.

The Harrison's. :P .

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Fantastic pics, had some cracking nights downstairs and like you Jock kept well out of camera shot :) more than likely was at the side of you and Kerso. You're right though - Bradford along with Garage City, Venus, Renaissance (Mansfield) etc volleyed me straight onto the House Scene and gave me a decade away from the Northern Scene. What a decade it was. Amazing times.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

On a personal level the Queens Hall was a revelation, one month i'm upstairs in tailored strides, Brooks Brothers shirt and Churches brogues stomping around to rare soul displaying nothing more than a mild grimace...

....next month i go downstairs with our youth,kerso and Jock and promptly loose the last 20 or so years. The excitement, energy and camaraderie was something special.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Fantastic pics, had some cracking nights downstairs and like you Jock kept well out of camera shot :) more than likely was at the side of you and Kerso. You're right though - Bradford along with Garage City, Venus, Renaissance (Mansfield) etc volleyed me straight onto the House Scene and gave me a decade away from the Northern Scene. What a decade it was. Amazing times.

:yes: sure were amazing times Byrney, Venus in Nottingham being the starter, a club still held in folk law, attended by a better more classier cluber. And I still have the same respect for Delux also a while later than Venus in Nottingham. Those Garage City all nites with a very younger Bobbi and Stevie at the helm, back them :thumbsup: . All of us at Renaissance and don't forget Hott To Trott niter's also at the same venue and Progress in Derby, friday nites at the Milk Bar with Pete Tong ........ :sleep3: and not forgetting.......................Danny Rampling at the Home all niters also.................. :sleep3: :sleep3: . Kev Kelly for getting kick out of a very earlier MOS nite for being too smashed, :lol: :lol: but respect for the music and those who journeyed along it's path back then :thumbsup:.

And what are the where about's of Chris a.k.a back then - C J Mackintosh.

Thanks.

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Just proves collecting Walter Jackson and your other 70's wants are so in keeping with the vast members of silent "Sleepwalkers" on soul source. So" let me come back".............should my very last youngest 2 boys be looking for a back catalogue of Defected record listings in 2032 of previous UK releases, I'll tell em' not to open your coffin lid Steve, :lol: :lol: cause your mis - termed musical genre' is so incorrect and so ill discovered, but if it give's you strength, your one of so many of the masses guilty of that on here. Never Rave :wicked: !!!!!

Look at the playlist's Barry posted Steve - they were just indemand new soul and garage released club sounds plus a little topping of house, nothing deep either, back then.

Stay bolted down.

The Harrison's. :P .

...lost me there completely, sorry.

Sleepwalkers??

Clearly a dig at me which seems inappropriate as i was actually singing the praises of the place and stating that it (along with other factors) got me into modern - I love 70's soul as it's simply the best music ever in my opinion, i also listen to new release soul, funk, and still the odd 60's track - Am i and the countless others like me inferior as we don't listen to house music...hardly, quite the opposite in fact! :)

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

P.S The 'raver' quote was a joke, and i was actually speaking to Alison re. her post, i / we never considered the downstairs room as rave...for the record!

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

...lost me there completely, sorry.

Sleepwalkers??

Clearly a dig at me which seems inappropriate as i was actually singing the praises of the place and stating that it (along with other factors) got me into modern - I love 70's soul as it's simply the best music ever in my opinion, i also listen to new release soul, funk, and still the odd 60's track - Am i and the countless others like me inferior as we don't listen to house music...hardly, quite the opposite in fact! :)

Confused me as well, did we miss a post or two back there?
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Confused me as well, did we miss a post or two back there?

Did we f*ck, sad shit - read the thread numbers on the top right hand side, or the number of personal postings count on the left handside. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Did we f*ck, sad shit - read the post numbers on the top left hand side, you recently visited by profile, so keep on sleepwalking.

Loon...definitely a very poorly boy. :)

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Did we f*ck, sad shit - read the post numbers on the top left hand side, you recently visited by profile, so keep on sleepwalking.

Oh dear. I was merely implying my dear boy that your reply was somewhat out of proportion to the earlier post and just a tad baffling. Far from being a sad sh.t I do find that it's quite easy to be a sleepwalker when reading the banal, back slapping and infantile waffling of some members on SS. As a point of reference it may be beneficial for you to grasp the proper use of apostrophes and when to use them. Or are you one of those cluber's going down in folk law over at the skating ring? In any event please feel free to pop in and defame me a touch more. I find it amusing to actually converse with people with so much to say but without the skills to actually say it in a coherent manner. Oh and as a last point the post numbers are on the right not the left, little wonder you get confused with grammar.

Chin chin old man.

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

And what of Kerso's where about's these days, never forgotten, always had a great taste for the dry powder's and ear's for a good tune, always knowledged up, and always musically alert.

Best regards,

Nikolas :D .

Just seen this Nick. Kerso's still about but not on the soul scene, still involved in the house scene, does a bit of Djing; sub club etc and can mix with the best of them, and like a few of us (afternoon Stevie) also has a taste for the musical experience started by the likes of Atkins, May and Saunderson. :shhh:

Still speak to him now again - he came snowboarding with me a couple years ago, maniac ended up dislocating his finger and tearing ligaments banging down the hill like a nutter. Nowt changes

Kerso had some business cards done for the Bradford nighters, something along the lines of ... "if you like both rooms at Bradford like Kerso and Byrney join the outsiders' in response to the stick seasoned soul heads like us were geeting for entering ..the .. ahem.. "rave room" :lol:

Social source share

Woah!! What's happened here guys :ohmy:

The word "Rave" was said tongue in cheek, I'll take it back "evaR" :D

I can't speak for Nick, or anyone else who loved that dirty basement, but from my own experience, I was tired of certain people upstairs calling what we had downstairs as "Rave" when they never even ventured down there. That basement room was full to the brim of soul, at times different slants on soul, but nevertheless always SOULFUL ..... through & through !!

I loved both upstairs & downstairs at Bradford, but like I said, there was a minority who would dismiss me when I said I was going downstairs, and what I find ironic now, is that these tunes, that were first played downstairs, are now played in the main rooms at some venues/weekenders where they are well received by many (Drizabone - Real Love, Sounds of Blackness - Optimistic are the more common ones) and it kind of makes me sick, but at the end of the day, I also have a sense of pride that I was there when these tunes first broke. Downstairs at Bradford was waaaaay ahead of it's time & I feel blessed that I was part of it :thumbup:

Right, can we all kiss & make up now :D

Social source share

Woah!! What's happened here guys :ohmy:

The word "Rave" was said tongue in cheek, I'll take it back "evaR" :D

I can't speak for Nick, or anyone else who loved that dirty basement, but from my own experience, I was tired of certain people upstairs calling what we had downstairs as "Rave" when they never even ventured down there. That basement room was full to the brim of soul, at times different slants on soul, but nevertheless always SOULFUL ..... through & through !!

I loved both upstairs & downstairs at Bradford, but like I said, there was a minority who would dismiss me when I said I was going downstairs, and what I find ironic now, is that these tunes, that were first played downstairs, are now played in the main rooms at some venues/weekenders where they are well received by many (Drizabone - Real Love, Sounds of Blackness - Optimistic are the more common ones) and it kind of makes me sick, but at the end of the day, I also have a sense of pride that I was there when these tunes first broke. Downstairs at Bradford was waaaaay ahead of it's time & I feel blessed that I was part of it :thumbup:

Right, can we all kiss & make up now :D

Well said lady. Wrighty.
Social source share

Just seen this Nick. Kerso's still about but not on the soul scene, still involved in the house scene, does a bit of Djing; sub club etc and can mix with the best of them, and like a few of us (afternoon Stevie) also has a taste for the musical experience started by the likes of Atkins, May and Saunderson. :shhh:

Still speak to him now again - he came snowboarding with me a couple years ago, maniac ended up dislocating his finger and tearing ligaments banging down the hill like a nutter. Nowt changes

Kerso had some business cards done for the Bradford nighters, something along the lines of ... "if you like both rooms at Bradford like Kerso and Byrney join the outsiders' in response to the stick seasoned soul heads like us were geeting for entering ..the .. ahem.. "rave room" :lol:

Oh wow Byrney !!! I've only just clocked the above paragraph (was too busy trying to be Ban Ki Moon earlier :D )

Great sentiment from Kerso :thumbsup: thought it was only me who was being bullied :lol:

In spite of the turf wars :D I don't regret a second of my time spent at the Queens Hall (in both rooms) made a lot of friends, great memories, great tunes, great times (for me the BEST time!!) I guess it was all part of the growing up process :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Fond memories of Bradford, had to drive back to mansfield with johno, through a foot of snow at 4 in the morning, longest drive ever, normally took around an hour, took us four hours.

Social source share

Was digging the Chrissy tree out the loft the other day, caught me slipper in an old record bag, pulled it off - looked in it and what do I find????

2 and a half hours of video that I took at the QH basement back in 1991 - watch this space - got to get em turned to DVD first. ;0)

Loved the piccies Nick :0)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

:wave: Good afternoon Barry, glad you liked the images, I am still enjoying those old and new musical ethic's in that programmed computerized "Synth and Strings Sound" still very much today. Whilst maintaining a good level of intergration on our never forgotten Black American.....................musical pasts. :D .

Nick.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

:wave: Good afternoon Barry, glad you liked the images, I am still enjoying those old and new musical ethic's in that programmed computerized "Synth and Strings Sound" still very much today. Whilst maintaining a good level of intergration on our never forgotten Black American.....................musical pasts. :D .

Nick.

I see you picked your way through the minefield very well there Nicholas :0)

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I see you picked your way through the minefield very well there Nicholas :0)

And I thank you for reaching a "higher understanding" and respecting it's meaning :D . Just off topic Barrington, what and where is Malc Burton these days, a very strong supporter of your creative dawn raiding posts, several years back. :yes: .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And I thank you for reaching a "higher understanding" and respecting it's meaning :D . Just off topic Barrington, what and where is Malc Burton these days, a very strong supporter of your creative dawn raiding posts, several years back. :yes: .

Haha - not frequenting SS as frequently as my opinions and madness once forced me to do I hadn't realised that Malc had gone AWOL - I am friends with the souldier on Facebook - I will have a little tootle over to his page and spy on his erstwhile manoeuvres ;0)

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Haha - not frequenting SS as frequently as my opinions and madness once forced me to do I hadn't realised that Malc had gone AWOL - I am friends with the souldier on Facebook - I will have a little tootle over to his page and spy on his erstwhile manoeuvres ;0)

Have a lie down first, one needs a rest after trawling through all that "Say It Is'nt So" thread - feck all too do with Betty Boo either.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Malc sends his love mate - he has retired from the front for a spell of soul-recooperation but he will return when the fires have gone out. ;0)

Fire's .................. :g:.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

P.P.S. 'Let me come back' is a quality SOUL record, do you remember the meaning of the word..?

No - Steve but do you remember me putting you on too a copy of Le Frank O - Keep On Getting Down, a 20 year old and more Keb modern spin, via Plumbie some years ago. No ?

Sick man I am not, but I have collected everything by Walter Jackson from 1973 upwards, as the Chi Sound was and still is my love. Look out for the Walter's LP - "Send In The Clowns"......................remember the title :wave: . Cause it sucks.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Nick, I seriously think you need a holiday, take a break somewhere and get your head together...

Like most people on here I buy records that I enjoy listening to, if all that was important to me was being 'cutting edge' then I'd be on the dance music scene although wouldn't it be a sad sight seeing a middle aged man dancing to 'banging house'...maybe you should think about that too. ;)

I think you are on the wrong site here, are there sites available for the 'not so young' who still listen to 90's dance music, or are you barred from those too..?

Social source share

Nick, I seriously think you need a holiday, take a break somewhere and get your head together...

Like most people on here I buy records that I enjoy listening to, if all that was important to me was being 'cutting edge' then I'd be on the dance music scene although wouldn't it be a sad sight seeing a middle aged man dancing to 'banging house'...maybe you should think about that too. ;)

I think you are on the wrong site here, are there sites available for the 'not so young' who still listen to 90's dance music, or are you barred from those too..?

no need for this

if you really must get involved in telling other members where/what to do can you do it via pms

just not needed in the slightest

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!