Bradford Queens Hall Basement Photo's And Lost Video Footage 1990

Barry

just perusing your photo's mr harrison, and made a few comments, we,ve moved in the same cicles, got some myself to put up, if i can work it out

just goto gallery

hit the upload button

hit new album

and the rest should be fairly "logical"

any probs just pm me

site help guide has a bit that may help if probs

extract

Adding your Images

Clicking an upload link or button will take you to the media upload page. This is a two step process.

The first step is to select or create an album to upload the images into. Once the album has been set, you can upload images right away when the upload form reveals itself.

When you have uploaded the images you wish to add to the album, you click the 'Review & Publish' button which will allow you to rotate the image or edit the image's details.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Got the video footage transposed to dvd and although it is majoritively pitch black (Crofty wouldn't allow me to light it up at any point) apart from the pin spots etc, and the fact that I was trying to dj and video at the same time (there are spells when the camera has just been propped on the deck facing out) it is not a bad representation of a Bradford (90's dance night ;0) at it's height. I had lost the first thirty minute cassette which if I remember was the one with a few characters on it, which is a shame. It can also be a fairly frustrating watch at times too as I wanted to move the camera just a bit left or wished I had spent more time with it in an aerial position but it is what it is.

There is two hours plus of footage, which have a few highlights, Phil Webb nicking the mike and singing along, imploring 'COME ON BRADFORD - THIS IS SOUL!', a skinny, sweaty Paddy from Skipton coming to the decks, Les tootling along at the front of the decks, a few overheard conversations (me trying to get Yogi Haughtons phone number off ov someone), someone desperate for me to play James Howard etc.

There is some great music on there, Mass Order, Stooge Productions, Keith Nunnally, Mica Paris, Michael Watford, Magnum Force etc and the sound quality, played through my surround sound system given, is pretty impressive.

I'd forgotten how noisy it was down there, great crowd response to certain tracks, whistles, even a bloody air-horn at one point.

I'll get it edited and bang it up.

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Barry,

This sounds so unsuitable for posting, why bother Barry with just another case of "poking a sleeping tiger in it's ear".

Did anyone really take your well scripted posts seriously in the past and does anyone currently bother with mine.................feck no.

Leave it.

Social source share

Barry,

This sounds so unsuitable for posting, why bother Barry with just another case of "poking a sleeping tiger in it's ear".

Did anyone really take your well scripted posts seriously in the past and does anyone currently bother with mine.................feck no.

Leave it.

Thing is Nick, I didn't give a pixies whistle in the past and I really couldn't give one now. I'm posting (as ever) for the supple minority :0)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Barry,

Leave it.

there's a wide range of members on here and sure that many like myself would find any video etc of a much talked about venue both interesting and enjoyable

discouraging of such posts is just the same as what was going on a few posts back in this thread

as i said then that sort of thing aint needed on here

Edited by mike
Social source share

I'm sure Nick was just being facetious Mike.

ahh yep .. reading back guess could be

no probs

dunno if you are sorted or if looking at somewhere to upload video to

if not sorted would suggest having a look at vimeo (its what pete smith uses for his videos)

can do fairly long clips and seems to work well

plus can then embed it all over web :thumbsup:

Social source share

ahh yep .. reading back guess could be

no probs

dunno if you are sorted or if looking at somewhere to upload video to

if not sorted would suggest having a look at vimeo (its what pete smith uses for his videos)

can do fairly long clips and seems to work well

plus can then embed it all over web :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Mike - will have a look at it. Ta

Social source share

Got the video footage transposed to dvd and although it is majoritively pitch black (Crofty wouldn't allow me to light it up at any point) apart from the pin spots etc, and the fact that I was trying to dj and video at the same time (there are spells when the camera has just been propped on the deck facing out) it is not a bad representation of a Bradford (90's dance night ;0) at it's height. I had lost the first thirty minute cassette which if I remember was the one with a few characters on it, which is a shame. It can also be a fairly frustrating watch at times too as I wanted to move the camera just a bit left or wished I had spent more time with it in an aerial position but it is what it is.

There is two hours plus of footage, which have a few highlights, Phil Webb nicking the mike and singing along, imploring 'COME ON BRADFORD - THIS IS SOUL!', a skinny, sweaty Paddy from Skipton coming to the decks, Les tootling along at the front of the decks, a few overheard conversations (me trying to get Yogi Haughtons phone number off ov someone), someone desperate for me to play James Howard etc.

There is some great music on there, Mass Order, Stooge Productions, Keith Nunnally, Mica Paris, Michael Watford, Magnum Force etc and the sound quality, played through my surround sound system given, is pretty impressive.

I'd forgotten how noisy it was down there, great crowd response to certain tracks, whistles, even a bloody air-horn at one point.

I'll get it edited and bang it up.

I for one would like to view this Barry,Loved both upstairs and downstairs, BQH IN 91 was really special for me,great times

Social source share

I for one would like to view this Barry,Loved both upstairs and downstairs, BQH IN 91 was really special for me,great times

Hi Jerrio, don't get your hopes up too much, it is pitch black in the most, you can see me struggling to find points of interest to focus on haha....but that said I think you'll find it a worthwhile watch, just for the fact that it is a moment in time that you wouldn't have expected to re-visit any time - the feel of the place is there if you get what I mean?

Social source share

Hi Jerrio, don't get your hopes up too much, it is pitch black in the most, you can see me struggling to find points of interest to focus on haha....but that said I think you'll find it a worthwhile watch, just for the fact that it is a moment in time that you wouldn't have expected to re-visit any time - the feel of the place is there if you get what I mean?

Bang it up Ducky, would love to see - or more likely hear it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Is this not the original video footage from the last ever downstairs which you filmed Barry, of which your copy you loaned out, many years previous.

So thank christ now other's can witness this. All due too the christmas tree, which caught the slipper, in the old record bag and it's available again. (post 36).

Only joking. :D

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

I love this kind of thing Barry,20 years have past in the blink of an eye it seems,any footage is worth it regardless of it being dark or whatever,Good on you sir for capturing the moment.I had a vhs vidio of an anniversary doo for Darlington Soul Club which was passed around and lost over time,sad really in this time of computers youtube etc,as you say a moment in time.

Social source share

@ Nick - not sure if it was the last night mate, though you may well be right.

I don't remember it ever leaving the house either but the leather on the soles of my memory are wearing thin these days, so maybe!?

@ Jerrio - There are tracks on the video that I would have preferred to be others mate, so the mention above of it being a 90's dance night may well hold some water to some - I and quite a few others know better.

Pip used to play a lot of more commercial Italian-housey product and Crofty too, which didn't assist matters.

It was definately a moment of flux on the Soul all-nighter scene and scene's in general in 1990 with the onset of house music and sequenced beats, so certain tracks were tried and tested, it was a progressive movement, some were ejected, some are now held dear - same on the 60's/70's etc scene (any musical scene for that matter).

There are dead ducks and killers that litter the musical history of all-nighters, it's the only way for a DJ to give the dance-floor an option to decide on which direction they want their music to follow.

Anyhow send me your address mate and I'll flip these discs off for you.

Edited by Barry
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't remember it ever leaving the house either but the leather on the soles of my memory are wearing thin these days, so maybe!?

@ Jerrio - There are tracks on the video that I would have preferred to be others mate, so the mention above of it being a 90's dance night may well hold some water to some - I and quite a few others know better.

Pip used to play a lot of more commercial Italian-housey product and Crofty too, which didn't assist matters.

It was definately a moment of flux on the Soul all-nighter scene and scene's in general in 1990 with the onset of house music and sequenced beats, so certain tracks were tried and tested, it was a progressive movement, some were ejected, some are now held dear - same on the 60's/70's etc scene (any musical scene for that matter).

There are dead ducks and killers that litter the musical history of all-nighters, it's the only way for a DJ to give the dance-floor an option to decide on which direction they want their music to follow.

Im still in touch with some of the Darlington crew who were regulars downstairs so ill share the discs with them Barry,Ill pm you my address,Thank you.

Social source share

Paddy Scott exs Skipton crew is cleaning the dvd up for me, he's managed to draw some colour out of it and has enhanced it somewhat, still very dark like - will post when done but here's a taster:

Barry, I know I should know it, but what's the track at the end, 6.08 in, female vocalist.

Great footage, but it may be better if you leave it in darkness :hypo::D x

Social source share

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can't remember all them blooming whistles down there, not knocking it though, as I had one :wicked: just can't remember blowing it at Bradford.

Great footage (again), makes me go all tingly :hatsoff2:

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

An Italian 12" Joy - Shine On Ali.

Cheers Barry, you are the answer to my prayers :thumbsup: ok, I know that's the other Shine On :D but I couldn't really quote the "Joy" Shine On to you (a bit too saucy for soul sauce source) :D

Many thanks :thumbsup: x

P.S I'm not really dancing round the room to it as I type this post :no::D

Edited by Alison H
Social source share

@ Cunnie - good stuff fella.

@ Ali - nice to see Les bobbing about at the front too

Oh yeah!!! I didn't spot him earlier !! He gets everywhere, the jammy bugger, I've got photo's of the upstairs dancefloor, and he's on them too!! No sign of Sue though .... she was probably talking someone's head off in a corner :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah!!! I didn't spot him earlier !! He gets everywhere, the jammy bugger, I've got photo's of the upstairs dancefloor, and he's on them too!! No sign of Sue though .... she was probably talking someone's head off in a corner :lol:

Couple more gone up in Paddys file on Youtube.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Paddy, slightly off topic I know, but "Milo & Friends" is brilliant, those two mop head dogs are hilarious,& Milo is soooo gorgeous :wub:

Great choice of tunes to accompany the vid :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting the Queens Hall vids on here :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!