Smersh Bar on Friday 27th August

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Really nice evening. Modern jazz was being played when Lesley and I arrived, quite nice actually. Jon Hendricks singing Moanin', etc.

Then JTrouble took over the decks and played some good stuff. Started with Bobby Womack and followed with the 4 Tops' Are You Man Enough. I knew some of the other records he played, including Pat Brown The Good Got To Suffer. Don't forget to post your playlist please. Interesting to hear a Boz Scagg track, fine singer imo.

Nice to say hello to Trouble and LisaHurley. Also to Ady Lupton.

Unfortunately had to leave when Lisa started her set, had to go in to work on overtime today.

Thanks to everyone.

Guest James Trouble

Hi Geof,

It was nice to meet you and you wife. Glad to hear you enjoyed it, I think we will carry on doing it each month (4th Friday each month). It's pretty chilled out down there, a great place to meet up with friends, drink lots of booze and hear a few records that don't often get aired else where.

He's my playlist, as best as I can remember, in rough order...

Bobby Womack "accross 110th street"

four tops "Are you man enough"

Candi Bars "Youre the one"

Millionairs "And The Rain Came"

Cookie Scott "I Don't Care"

Norma and the HEart Aches "Nice and Slow" (I think Geoffasked about this)

Cynhtia Sheeler "I'll Cry Over You"

Sophisticates "Cry Me A River"

Pat Brown "Good Got To Suffer For The Bad"

Parliaments "Cry No More"

Frank Dell "He Broke Your Game..."

Rufus Wood "Before 2001"

Ree Flores "Look Into My HEart"

Honey and the Bees "Love Addict"

Del LArks "Job Openning pt2"

Parisians "Twinkle Little Star"

Johnny Howard "The Chase Is On"

Jimmy James Thomas "I Can't Dance"

Soul Lovers "Gunna Have Fun Tonight"

And then the luvuly Lisa came on for an hour or so.

And I finished off with:

Barbara Howard "A Woman WasMAde For A Man"

CarlHenry Hall "Summer Time"

TSU Toronadoes "Got To Get Through To You"

Norma Jean "I've Taken Over"

Trace Of Smoke "Treasure Mind"

Barbara Lynn "Mellow Feeling pt 1"

Lerry McGee "The Burg"

Harris and Orr "Spread Love"

Family Of Eve "I Wanna Be Loved By You"

Reginald Milton "Clap Your Hands"

Phillips Brothers "Who Stole My Cookie"

Tickled Pink "Reach Out"

TSU Toronadoes "Only Inside"

Darrow Fletcher "What Have I Got Now"

Martha Star "No PArt TImeLover"

Thanks to Lisa and Andrew for helping out. Good night!!!

Guest James Trouble

Thanks Gareth.

A Tickled Pink just went through on ebay at $2100 over the weekend. There are 4 or 5 known copies.

I understand that the record was recorded by one man, singing and playing all the instruments. Not like a one man band, more like stevie wonder. Recording the drums, then the bass, then guitar, then horns etc, and than singing over it.

A typically hard Texas funk sound, but with the added bonus of some incredibaly soulful vocals.

It was good to meet you and Lisa on Friday. Thanks for posting your playlist, I find them useful, with luck will remember titles when or if I hear them played out.

Hope it does become a regular monthly event. Nice to go somewhere and just listen to the music. Although I bet I wasn't the only one there who felt the urge to dance to certain records.

Guest James Trouble

It was good to meet you and Lisa on Friday. Thanks for posting your playlist, I find them useful, with luck will remember titles when or if I hear them played out.

Hope it does become a regular monthly event. Nice to go somewhere and just listen to the music. Although I bet I wasn't the only one there who felt the urge to dance to certain records.

I'm sure you could have had a boogie if you fancied itclown.gif Andrew certianly had a good dance, while the rest of us were.... beer.gif

There's another monthly Friday night down there as well which plays crossover all night. The details are on the events page. A nice venue indeed!!!

Guest James Trouble

BTW nice set JT although i would expect it make you appear to some as the devil incarnate;o)

"devil incarnate "? I'm a little lost.confused.gif

Guest Johnny One Trout

You can't post up a playlist on the Funk forum without someone pulling it to pieces because they are northern records or they are too expensive or they are not bootlegs or they are not off a cd comp or it is a gay disco record or.......................

Guest James Trouble

You can't post up a playlist on the Funk forum without someone pulling it to pieces because they are northern records or they are too expensive or they are not bootlegs or they are not off a cd comp or it is a gay disco record or.......................

Oh no, they don't mind bootlegs or compilations. It's records that are 'too expensive', 'northern soul', disco or so 'rare' they will never own a copy that they don't like.