Barbra Mason Could Sing A Bit

Geeselad

Barbra Mason could sing a bit, not all that familiar with this great artists, 6ts output, I know put me in a yolk and leg irons! But just lately I've been loving her 7ts and 8ts gear on west end and Prelude any tips? what's your fave BM track?

For starters try.....

Darlin come back home on Prelude, just sublime!

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

A great artist. More demonstrative or showy performers are often nearer the top of polls for greatest female soul singer but few could get inside a song and live it like BM.

Current favourite is her version of Billy Stewart's "I Do Love You" from the "Oh How It Hurts" album on Arctic. A poignant and mesmerising side.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Barbara played the jazz cafe back in Sept 08 she was fantastic, it is a pity that a few more soul fans were'nt there to see her, Weldon Mcdougall 111 was in attendance.

Social source share

The World Is In Crisis from the Transitions album on Buddah is geat, as is the collaboration with the Futires, Make It Last, on the same label. Don't I Ever Cross Your Mind on West End is an excellent 12 but you may already know that. I didn't know she recorded for Prelude - I think I also have a 12 of hers on WMOT. I'll dig it out and let you know te title.

Social source share

The World Is In Crisis from the Transitions album on Buddah is geat, as is the collaboration with the Futires, Make It Last, on the same label. Don't I Ever Cross Your Mind on West End is an excellent 12 but you may already know that. I didn't know she recorded for Prelude - I think I also have a 12 of hers on WMOT. I'll dig it out and let you know te title.

gallery_1986_2576_30492.jpg

Edited by ken
Social source share

Try her "Loves The Thing" LP on Buddah.

One you can put on the decks and listen to end to end.

Really like "So Hes Yours Now" from this LP.........but you're right it is a good all round album

"You Did Not Stay Last Night" (WMOT) 45 from 1980 is anothr one I really like...........longer version to be found on her WMOT LP "Yes I'm Ready"

Agree with garethx as well most of her stuff is woth a listen as she 'gets inside" and interprets the songs so well

Cheers Paul

Social source share

My favourite album would be the WMOT one "A piece of my life" 1980 , packed with great tunes. (I think Paul has the WMOT LP name wrong above)

Think you;re probably right Dave....to be honest I only have the CD thats called "Yes I'm Ready" (WMOT 1994)

Love her version of "Give Me Your Love" on Buddah

Cheers Paul

Social source share

She sure could, like so many others of her time. I only have two 45's by Barbara Mason ("Make it Last"..nice pic sleeve with The Futures...and the feel good finger clickin' "Ain't got nobody" on Arctic) but will look up some of the ones I don't know above, thanks. :thumbsup:

Was listening to a Harvey Mason LP (one of THE great drummers / producers in my opinion) earlier this eve and seeing this thread got me wondering if they were related. It seems not, as just looked up and although both born in 1947...Harvey was born in Feb that year and Barbara in August. Sorry to go off topic!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert