Detroit Wants

Wilxy

Does anyone have the following Detroit items for sale?

45's-You're wasting my time-Billy Garner-New Day

Grab your clothes-Minnie Epperson-Peacock

Such a soul says-Third Party-Soulhawk

I'm also looking for any Detroit related memorabilia/epherma/ relating to particularly the 60's/70's including promotional photographs!

Vinyl preference minty originals!

The latter....preferable original, but would consider HONEST repros!

Best wilxy :hatsoff2:

Please PM me !

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 18
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Is this a Detroit recording!?!

:unsure:

From information gleaned from the Groovesville USA book one of her two Peacock recordings is a Tony Hestor song/production, and I'm assuming that this is the 45 with Detroit connections.....strange I know but there are many more recordings that I've found with a Detroit link.....The fascination of record collecting I suppose :hatsoff2:

Social source share

From information gleaned from the Groovesville USA book one of her two Peacock recordings is a Tony Hestor song/production, and I'm assuming that this is the 45 with Detroit connections.

I think the book is incorrect.

Don't think the "HestEr" has ever been proved to be Tony HestOr?

There is a also a town in texas called, Hester...a more likely connection?

The track was produced by Willie Mitchell...don't think he ever produced/recorded in Detroit?

Not saying I'm correct, but looks to be 100% Texas Soul...happy to be proved wrong...we're all here to learn.

:hatsoff2:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

The track was produced by Willie Mitchell...don't think he ever produced/recorded in Detroit?

Not saying I'm correct, but looks to be 100% Texas Soul...happy to be proved wrong...we're all here to learn.

Think I agree with you on that Dave (there are a few errors or debatable facts at least in the book)

Here's a scan from Popsike

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-73287000-1320491212_thumb.j

Social source share

Sorry to disagree buddy, but as I've been quoted, Willie Mitchell has indirect Detroit connections, via Sport records for one, but moreover the Don Robey/D.Malone "enigma" throws another spanner in the works, as once again quoted produced several "mongrel/hybrid" releases with regard the Detroit/Memphis "concoctions" courtesy of Junior Parker/Bobby Bland etc......And furthermore Mr.H,s name was spelt with the E and O, (rightly/wrongly as i'm sure other individuals credited to song production etc.inevitably was) Anyway.....I'm always happy to learn as a keen Detroit enthusiast, and appreciate any information that makes me more the wiser! :yes:

Kind Regards wilxy

Edited by wilxy
Social source share

Sorry to disagree buddy, but as I've been quoted, Willie Mitchell has indirect Detroit connections, via Sport records for one, but moreover the Don Robey/D.Malone "enigma" throws another spanner in the works, as once again quoted produced several "mongrel/hybrid" releases with regard the Detroit/Memphis "concoctions" courtesy of Junior Parker/Bobby Bland etc......And furthermore Mr.H,s name was spelt with the E and O, (rightly/wrongly as i'm sure other individuals credited to song production etc.inevitably was) Anyway.....I'm always happy to learn as a keen Detroit enthusiast, and appreciate any information that makes me more the wiser! :yes:

Kind Regards wilxy

This might add some more info to link to.

https://www.record-racks.com/?p=67

Social source share

Willie Mitchell has indirect Detroit connections

snip

Mr.H,s name was spelt with the E and O, (rightly/wrongly as i'm sure other individuals credited to song production etc.inevitably was)

snip

I'm always happy to learn as a keen Detroit enthusiast, and appreciate any information that makes me more the wiser! :yes:

Hi Mike,

Yep, we're all here to learn! Agree with you that Willie Mitchell has indirect connections to Detroit, but don't think he produced/recorded there. I also agree that our Detroit Hero spelt his surname with both an E and an O...and indeed this spelling and the interest in finding definitive evidence about the mystrious 'Hester' credited as a co-writer on the Minnie Epperson track, got me digging around!

I recalled that there was a town called, 'Hester' in Texas, but I completely forgot about the another stronger 'Hester' connection...John and Dorothy Hester. Who I hear you cry...they were local entrepreneurs based in Memphis and were responsible for bringing guess who to record/write for them...non other than George Jackson! Now, back to the Minnie Epperson track...the writers are Jackson-Hester-Mitchell...looking like we now know who the three are, especially when you throw into the hat their publishing company name...Hester Publishing Company!

So maybe we're now looking at a Memphis/Texas writing collaboration, recorded and produced in Texas?!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Hi Mike,

Yep, we're all here to learn! Agree with you that Willie Mitchell has indirect connections to Detroit, but don't think he produced/recorded there. I also agree that our Detroit Hero spelt his surname with both an E and an O...and indeed this spelling and the interest in finding definitive evidence about the mystrious 'Hester' credited as a co-writer on the Minnie Epperson track, got me digging around!

I recalled that there was a town called, 'Hester' in Texas, but I completely forgot about the another stronger 'Hester' connection...John and Dorothy Hester. Who I hear you cry...they were local entrepreneurs based in Memphis and were responsible for bringing guess who to record/write for them...non other than George Jackson! Now, back to the Minnie Epperson track...the writers are Jackson-Hester-Mitchell...looking like we now know who the three are, especially when you throw into the hat their publishing company name...Hester Publishing Company!

So maybe we're now looking at a Memphis/Texas writing collaboration, recorded and produced in Texas?!

:thumbup:

And maybe we aren't Dave?.....the mind boggles buddy :g:

Social source share

Have swapped an email or two with the collectors over here in Japan, as they know their Southern Soul...and maybe we're marching now towards a definitive answer...they say that:

- it was recorded in Memphis, not Texas or Detroit

- the Hester is Dorothy Hester, not Tony Hester

They also clarified that Dorothy Hester was more likely than John Hester, as she also wrote (or at least was credited as writing!) Percy Milem's Goldwax Memphis classic, 'Crying Baby Baby Baby'.

So, it is now looking more than likely that it was written, produced and recorded in Memphis, and then released on a Texas based label...nothing to do with Detroit. One other thing for certain is that 'Grab Your Clothes' is a great, great track!

As for who Minnie Epperson is...that one the jury is still out on...but here's a thought...there was one other famous female vocalist out of Memphis, the one and only 'Memphis Minnie'! Naturally Minnie Epperson was not her, but, maybe her fame was enough for Ms.Epperson to select Minnie as a stage name (if it wasn't her given name), if Ms.Epperson was also out of Memphis!?!

Social source share