mike

Your Current Must Watch Tv ?

But it was just like a zombie movie and I've seen hundreds of those, couldn't see the point of making a series about it

But that's the point Pete, it is full of familiar things from every zombie movie we've all seen. That's what makes it so good, but in a TV series they have 13 hours to develop the story and characters, rather than just 2.

If you watched 20 minutes you might have almost got to the point where he meets that black guy and his son holding up in their house and the man's wife, now a walker, comes and tries the door every now and then. He has a rifle but he can't he just can't bring himself to kill her. i found it really moving. Rick's decision to go back to the park and put a half-bodied walker out of its misery in episode 1 all comes together half way through season 2 when he has to make a similar decision...

Supernatural season 6,been watching this from the start,what happened to it,was on Sky living on Sundays and has it finished??Maybe i missed the last one in series or something??Would`t be the first time that`s happened lol

Others i like:

Terra Nova is good to watch with family.

Fringe:Will have to catch up on new series when they put it on-demand.I work when Sky put it on.

Haven=Again good to watch with family.

Ncis l.a=Worth checking out last series on demand Virgin.Should be a new one early 2012.Much better than other Ncis.

Human Target on Five u.s.a.

Edited by Hammersoul

Agree with Tony's comments on Treme. My Sky Plus box seems to have stop recording it after episode 11 of series 2 and it's not on anymore. I thought there were more episodes? I loved the bit when Ernie K. Doe played live in his Mother-in-Law shack.

Supernatural season 6,been watching this from the start,what happened to it,was on Sky living on Sundays and has it finished??Maybe i missed the last one in series or something??Would`t be the first time that`s happened lol

Yeah Supernatural finished a while ago mate, absolutely brilliant. I might go back and buy the other series, I just wonder if it was as good at the start as it was at the end of series 6...?

Agree with Tony's comments on Treme. My Sky Plus box seems to have stop recording it after episode 11 of series 2 and it's not on anymore. I thought there were more episodes? I loved the bit when Ernie K. Doe played live in his Mother-in-Law shack.

Maybe a mid season break, they've just gone into one on walking dead, comes back in February

Maybe a mid season break, they've just gone into one on walking dead, comes back in February

It's funny how they all do that now. It started with Lost as a consequence of the writer's strike a few years back, then The Sopranos did it. I think they realised it generated more interest to fill the audience with anticipatation.

Yeah Supernatural finished a while ago mate, absolutely brilliant. I might go back and buy the other series, I just wonder if it was as good at the start as it was at the end of series 6...?

There all good Matt,and yes series 1/2 were really good cos you get how it all started.

By the way series 7 is on in the U.s at mo so hopefully we will get that next year early doors :thumbup:

Just finished watching "The Fight of Their Lives" the documentary that was shown on ITV last night examining the 1995 fight between Nigel Benn & Gerald McClellan, where McClellan was left with severe brain injuries, heartbreaking stuff, conspiracy theories, controversy, a mix of emotions throughout, a MUST watch for anyone who's into boxing, or who, like me, likes a good cry.

The whole programme is heart-rending, but one of the saddest parts was when Benn arranged a fund raising event for McClellan in London, and the boxers met for the first time, 12 years after the fight, my heart was in my mouth, It's so sad :(

Catch it on i-player, you won't be disappointed

Edited by Alison H

anyone watching american horror ?

just watched episode 11 - felt almost punch drunk after watching that

the hour and a half season finale coming up next week

that walking dead mid-season finish made up for the slow pace of previous episodes

quite a risky thing to do in my view as I was losing interest but it worked imo

just started on homeland

impressive first episode, does it keep up to the same standard?

anyone watching american horror ?

just watched episode 11 - felt almost punch drunk after watching that

the hour and a half season finale coming up next week

that walking dead mid-season finish made up for the slow pace of previous episodes

quite a risky thing to do in my view as I was losing interest but it worked imo

just started on homeland

impressive first episode, does it keep up to the same standard?

I'm watching it, but a few episodes behind, got them plussed though, so will catch up soon. Liking walking dead, great final episode before the season break. What is homeland, it rings a bell, but can't place it, and what channel is it on please

I'm watching it, but a few episodes behind, got them plussed though, so will catch up soon. Liking walking dead, great final episode before the season break. What is homeland, it rings a bell, but can't place it, and what channel is it on please

think it was mentioned on here

dont do sky but think seen it advertised ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796960/

Accidently started watching Pub Dig with Rory McGrath. And really enjoyed it. So have watched all the shows.

I like him in the three fellas go here there and everywhere stuff and enjoyed that. He's unassumingly good at presenting is Rory.

Couple of other series worth a mention, both of which were extremely good.

The big C

Wilfred

Neither are on the tele at the moment, but can probably be downloaded from the net

Edited by Winnie :-)

I missed the episodes of "Life on Mars" - only got to see one by mistake via Stagevu. So I went and bought the complete 1st set (1 & 2) will be watching those soon, maybe on my own Christiane still has difficulties with stuff without Flemish sub-titles.

We're watching all the episodes of "New Tricks" we like the fact we can empathise with all the characters, being old fogies ourselves !! We like the fact that some of the older ladies they bring on are in such good nick !! Thinking of Jenny Agutter and Cherie Lunghi as examples, something for the missus to aspire to............................... :yes:

Cheers Mike, I'd definitely give it a watch, Damian Lewis is a good actor, thought the programme life was excellent :thumbsup:

Homeland has been bought by one of the cable/satellite channels although I have no idea when they plan to start broadcasting it here. It's very good, in fact it's one of the only 2011-12 US season debuts that has sustained my interest right the way through to date. Another is Revenge, which, after a slowish start, has really sucked me in now. As far as i can see, nobody over here has picked up on it yet but I'm sure it'll pop up somewhere before any of us are much older....

Sky Atlantic actually did broadcast the whole of season two of Treme. Apparently a third season has been commissioned, but it hasn't started filming yet.

Very much looking forward to BBC4's latest Danish import Borgen, which starts this weekend.

Top TV show of 2011? Can't look any further than Braquo on FX!

Homeland has been bought by one of the cable/satellite channels although I have no idea when they plan to start broadcasting it here. It's very good, in fact it's one of the only 2011-12 US season debuts that has sustained my interest right the way through to date. Another is Revenge, which, after a slowish start, has really sucked me in now. As far as i can see, nobody over here has picked up on it yet but I'm sure it'll pop up somewhere before any of us are much older....

Very much looking forward to BBC4's latest Danish import Borgen, which starts this weekend.

Top TV show of 2011? Can't look any further than Braquo on FX!

'Homeland's' been bought by Channel 4 and is due to be broadcast early this year. Looks good.

I'd be watching 'Braquo' if I got FX. FX seems to break a lot of the programmes I love-'The Shield' was a particular favourite, later picked up by terrestrial.

First series of 'Breaking Bad' was one of the best programmes I've ever seen. I felt the second series dragged a bit, plus it kept being shown at different times, so I kind of lost interest. Will give the third a go, though.

My top show this year was, as mentioned already, the Danish version of 'The Killing', both series. Even when the plot seemed far-fetched, I found it compelling. Initially found it slow and not as good as, say the first series of 'Spiral'. As time went on, I got completely hooked. The actors, music, the props-everything just drew me in. It's hard to believe that the Birk Larsen removal firm doesn't actually exist. The subtitles were a bit simplistic (I think!) but that gave it even more of a surreal edge. It was so great to see a quiet cop for a change, instead of the usual shouty, banging-fist-on-tables, kicking-doors-down-maverick stereotype. I liked the American version too, though it was very different. Again, just good to see a none-shouty, none-pouty female lead who doesn't totter about in a vest top to provide set decoration, or reaction shots for the male lead. I don't mind a bit of pouty-shouty. Just not all the time. Also enjoyed second series of 'Damages', although the constant time-hopping was annoying & confusing.

I tried, really tried with 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire', but *whispers* I just couldn't get on with them. I think I need to join some sort of support group. MM looked great, but that's all I liked about it and I wanted to kill the vile Betty. ....oh and if I see one more publicity picture of Joan Holloway standing with a hip sticking out, or Don smouldering off into the distance, I won't be responsible for my actions...

Programmes that other people recommended to me & I've yet to catch are 'Southland', 'Friday Night Lights', 'Parks and Recreation' and 'Portlandia'. Looks like I'll need to be joining LoveFilm to access box sets of them though, unless one of you knows something I don't.

Guest allnightandy

"Coal" on discovery great reality show about life underground mining coal

'Homeland's' been bought by Channel 4 and is due to be broadcast early this year. Looks good.

I tried, really tried with 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire', but *whispers* I just couldn't get on with them. I think I need to join some sort of support group. .

I thought that it was the Watch/Really/Alibi group of channels that had bought Homeland - perhaps they have some sort of joint deal with C4 that lets them show repeats.

Watch definitely have bought 'Alcatraz', though - which hasn't even started broadcasting in the USA yet, but which looks fantastic from the trailers that I've seen. It's the latest creation from J J Abrams, the man behind 'Lost' and one of its stars is "Hurley" from that programme.

After last night I'm adding 'Boss' to my must see list. I watched the first two episodes back to back - superb stuff, with an unlikely Kelsey Grammer as a relentlessly brutal and cynical mayor of Chicago whose personal life and health are falling to pieces all around him. Rather in the way that Ted Danson reinvented himself as an actor in the first series of "Damages", this is Grammer's redemption after all the crap variations of 'Frasier' that he played in numerous failed sitcoms after that series ended. It plays on the cable channel 'Starz' in the USA and I don't think anyone's picked it up for here yet.

At last I've found someone whose assessment of 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire' tallies with my own - well done, Wendy. I have lost count of the amount of times I've been back to the start of both shows to try to work out why I didn't like either and each time I do I come to the conclusion that it's because they're just not very good...

why hasnt that cowboy thing with Ian mcsahne been shown on terrestrial and i Boardwalk empire going to be

Both shows were (and in the case of BE, still are) made by HBO, which is owned by Sky now.

Chances, therefore. of seeing either on terrestrial TV anytime soon? None, I'd say...

At last I've found someone whose assessment of 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire' tallies with my own - well done, Wendy. I have lost count of the amount of times I've been back to the start of both shows to try to work out why I didn't like either and each time I do I come to the conclusion that it's because they're just not very good...

You are so wrong about Mad Men. I'm not renowned for my patience and attention span LOL but Mad men is the best thing on the telly by a long chalk, even if you don't follow the plot you have to sit back in amazement at the fabulous recreations of that early 60's period. I watched all 4 series back to back over a week. Best thing thats been on tv since Life On Mars.

I'd be watching 'Braquo' if I got FX. FX seems to break a lot of the programmes I love-'The Shield' was a particular favourite, later picked up by terrestrial.

First series of 'Breaking Bad' was one of the best programmes I've ever seen. I felt the second series dragged a bit, plus it kept being shown at different times, so I kind of lost interest. Will give the third a go, though.

My top show this year was, as mentioned already, the Danish version of 'The Killing', both series. Even when the plot seemed far-fetched, I found it compelling. Initially found it slow and not as good as, say the first series of 'Spiral'. As time went on, I got completely hooked. The actors, music, the props-everything just drew me in. It's hard to believe that the Birk Larsen removal firm doesn't actually exist. The subtitles were a bit simplistic (I think!) but that gave it even more of a surreal edge. It was so great to see a quiet cop for a change, instead of the usual shouty, banging-fist-on-tables, kicking-doors-down-maverick stereotype. I liked the American version too, though it was very different. Again, just good to see a none-shouty, none-pouty female lead who doesn't totter about in a vest top to provide set decoration, or reaction shots for the male lead. I don't mind a bit of pouty-shouty. Just not all the time. Also enjoyed second series of 'Damages', although the constant time-hopping was annoying & confusing.

I tried, really tried with 'Mad Men' and 'The Wire', but *whispers* I just couldn't get on with them. I think I need to join some sort of support group. MM looked great, but that's all I liked about it and I wanted to kill the vile Betty. ....oh and if I see one more publicity picture of Joan Holloway standing with a hip sticking out, or Don smouldering off into the distance, I won't be responsible for my actions...

Programmes that other people recommended to me & I've yet to catch are 'Southland', 'Friday Night Lights', 'Parks and Recreation' and 'Portlandia'. Looks like I'll need to be joining LoveFilm to access box sets of them though, unless one of you knows something I don't.

I thought I was alone in not getting on with The Wire and Mad Men and now there are three of us!

Relieved

I thought that it was the Watch/Really/Alibi group of channels that had bought Homeland - perhaps they have some sort of joint deal with C4 that lets them show repeats.

Watch definitely have bought 'Alcatraz', though - which hasn't even started broadcasting in the USA yet, but which looks fantastic from the trailers that I've seen. It's the latest creation from J J Abrams, the man behind 'Lost' and one of its stars is "Hurley" from that programme.

After last night I'm adding 'Boss' to my must see list. I watched the first two episodes back to back - superb stuff, with an unlikely Kelsey Grammer as a relentlessly brutal and cynical mayor of Chicago whose personal life and health are falling to pieces all around him. Rather in the way that Ted Danson reinvented himself as an actor in the first series of "Damages", this is Grammer's redemption after all the crap variations of 'Frasier' that he played in numerous failed sitcoms after that series ended. It plays on the cable channel 'Starz' in the USA and I don't think anyone's picked it up for here yet.

I've struggled repeatedly to get into Mad Men, so still haven't watched it, the Wire on the other hand is alongside the Sopranos my all time favourite TV show and as you encouraged me to watch that rubbish with Will Young in it (ghostly Hollyoaks) I'm demanding you give the Wire a proper go :D Wendy, you should as well, it is brilliant :thumbsup: By the way, I watched the first two series of 'Southland' on catch up about 6 months ago, excellent series IMO.

The trailers for Alcatraz do look great, I hope it's as good as it looks.

The Wire is one of the best Cop dramas ever IMO, series 3 was a bit duff, and ,series 1 did take a bit of getting in to, but well worth sticking with!

Breaking bad was bloody awesome too.......

Edited by 60ssoulboy

I've struggled repeatedly to get into Mad Men, so still haven't watched it, the Wire on the other hand is alongside the Sopranos my all time favourite TV show and as you encouraged me to watch that rubbish with Will Young in it (ghostly Hollyoaks) I'm demanding you give the Wire a proper go .

You're not gonna let 'Bedlam' go, are you, Win? I still stand by my original comments that it's one of the scariest shows ever made for UKTV (and not just because Will Young was in it, either....)

I think that if it had gone to a second series the 'Hollyoaks'-isms would have taken a back seat to something altogether more dark that was really beginning to develop in the last couple of episodes...

I've no more time to waste on The Wire, I'm afraid. I've got endless patience for stories that take a long time to unfold and develop, but I've watched the first few episodes two or three times with my 'is it just me?' hat on and I've decided that it's just the below average cop show that I first surmised it to be, rather than the life changing televisual experince that its fans claim it to be.

Well just watch it to gaze at Christina Hendricks bosom then.

I agree that it's a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

I've been in love with it since I first came across her in the short-lived lawyer series 'Kevin Hill' about 10 years ago. Funnily enough I'm currently watching the re-runs of 'Firefly' on Horror TV - which I missed completely when it was on Sky about 7-8 years ago - and she pitched up in last week's episode as a scantily clad baddie with at least two points in her favour!

Yep, it was on Five USA, I think.

Or Fiver.

Or Five.

One of those channels with Five in it anyway :lol:

Got the box set first series of Amazon, excellent, just bought series two, came today and looking forward to watching that later, well recommended. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guest GARV

Not sure if its been mentioned on here as i did`t have a read back through, but i have just got " The Trip " on DVD with Steve Coogan & Rob Brydon.

Caught 1 episode when shown on the Beeb & loved it so shelled out the princely sum of £3.99

Do you lot never watch any great British drama? All bloody US of A stuff, are you obsessed with American culture or something.

Mind you not sure I can remember any Great british drama on box for some time. Public Enemy started off really well but lost its way and just became too ridiculous, and Love/Hate has started as quite good but suspect it won't ever get to great.

Cmon on need some suggestions as have a new TIVO box waiting to be overloaded.

Edited by jocko

Started to watch the Above Suspicion that started last week, the first one was very good and this one started off well too.

I sky+ the Public Enemy Jock and yet to watch it. Missed the first Mad Dogs that started other week on Sky 1. Will catch up sometime soon.

The Hotel...on Channel 4....a docu about the Grosvenor Hotel in Torquay..and the long suffering owner...trying to make it a financial success....the attitude of some of the staff...is worth watching. alone... :lol: Del...xxxx

Bit late this but the end of season two of Broadwalk Empire before Christmas was gobsmacking, it was beyond Shakespearian, it was Greek drama through and through, kill your father, sleep with your mother, betrayed by your friends. It was absolutely epic. The last episode was one of the best hours of TV i've ever seen. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it even rivals (maybe even surpasses) The Sopranos. :ohmy:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.