Mike profile photo

Your Current Must Watch Tv ?

Posted

I'd just like to say thanks to whoever put forward the series "Suits". Watched 5 episodes last night, before I knew it it was 3 AM, absolutely brilliant and I really can't wait to get back to it after the footie tonight.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

There were two Grimm's?

I noticed only one which I recorded and watched tonight. It was worth watching but deffo loosely based on Special Unit 2.

They should repeat through the week so I guess I can catch up on second episode.

ROD

Have checked right the way through the week up until the new episode on Monday, it is repeated plenty of times, but no second episode. This Monday's one is listed as episode 2 so maybe we haven't missed any.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Have checked right the way through the week up until the new episode on Monday, it is repeated plenty of times, but no second episode. This Monday's one is listed as episode 2 so maybe we haven't missed any.

My mistake (I think). The pilot was two hours long, but it seemed to be broken into 2 episodes (there were definately credits between the two). It ended with them catching and killing the werewolf? Next episode is the 3 bears one, listed as episode 2.

Very strange.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

My mistake (I think). The pilot was two hours long, but it seemed to be broken into 2 episodes (there were definately credits between the two). It ended with them catching and killing the werewolf? Next episode is the 3 bears one, listed as episode 2.

Very strange.

Are you talking about the postman? I'm a bit confused now :)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Are you talking about the postman? I'm a bit confused now :)

Yeah the postman and the last scene of the episode was the blonde woman and the cop's boss driving off after failing to kill the bald woman?

It showed up as two separate hours on Watch and not a two hour block.

Ok now i'm really confused. Just checked the listings and Grimm was blocked as an hour on Monday, but I watched an episode and then it was 'more Grimm after the break', watched another episode and then a trailer for the next episode 'bears will be bears' which is listed as Episode 2, but I definately watched two episodes (or two hours). What is going on?

Or maybe I was going to watch it on Watch, but then watched it on Watch +1 and it felt like two hours...

We're talking Monday night after an allniter on Saturday so I might not have been quite with it. Starting to doubt my own sanity here.

Edited by Matt Male

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Yeah the postman and the last scene of the episode was the blonde woman and the cop's boss driving off after failing to kill the bald woman?

Yep, that's that sorted then :)

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

hah!! I just got rid of my TV license, did you all know that you only have to pay a TV license if you watch Live broadcast TV? so if your at work all day, and watch program's on catch-up, you don't need to pay, the second you stream a live signal your liable as it were.

For me given what I do for a job, I'm plugged into News channels here and in the USA 8 hours a day, I don't need TV at home as I access news on-line, my wife hates it, and the kids just watch DVD's these day, so saving of £150 odd quid right there..

It's worth thinking about...

Mal.C.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

hah!! I just got rid of my TV license, did you all know that you only have to pay a TV license if you watch Live broadcast TV? so if your at work all day, and watch program's on catch-up, you don't need to pay, the second you stream a live signal your liable as it were.

For me given what I do for a job, I'm plugged into News channels here and in the USA 8 hours a day, I don't need TV at home as I access news on-line, my wife hates it, and the kids just watch DVD's these day, so saving of £150 odd quid right there..

It's worth thinking about...

Mal.C.

You need a license if you record broadcast TV to watch later and you still need a license if you watch broadcast news online, but you're right you don't need it for iplayers and stuff like that.

It says:

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

I could never get rid of mine, I use SKY+ all the time.

Edited by Matt Male

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for that Winnie.

Isn't Matt a teacher. Think I'll ignore him. Takes me back to my school days.

ROD

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Thanks for that Winnie.

Isn't Matt a teacher. Think I'll ignore him. Takes me back to my school days.

ROD

Hey I was recovering from the weekend. :D

Actually, like most teachers, I'm still not entirely convinced I was wrong. :lol:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest MrC profile photo
Posted

I'd just like to say thanks to whoever put forward the series "Suits". Watched 5 episodes last night, before I knew it it was 3 AM, absolutely brilliant and I really can't wait to get back to it after the footie tonight.

You're welcome :hatsoff2:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

You're welcome :hatsoff2:

No, seriously, had great fun watching this last night and still have 7 episodes left! Yay!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

THE WEATHER ...........SAD BUT TRUE.......EZ

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest Paul profile photo
Posted

You need a license if you record broadcast TV to watch later and you still need a license if you watch broadcast news online, but you're right you don't need it for iplayers and stuff like that.

It says:

You need to be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record TV as it's being broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

I could never get rid of mine, I use SKY+ all the time.

I was advised I don't need a license because I don't ever watch live TV so I let my license expire and notified them.

But what a hassle... I had to fill more forms in, make more declarations, write letters and I still got loads of phone calls and more letters from them, as if they were trying to "catch me out" or something.

In fact they're probably reading this now... :unsure:

I ended up getting another license because I was expecting them to send the armed forces in to torture me ...and they know where I live.

But I'll look into it again when I have more time to deal with them.

Paul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I'm sorry but I'm totally confused and my mind has been blown. Are you people saying that you have to pay money in the UK for some sort of license to watch broadcast TV? How do they know you are watching broadcast tv? What is the rationale?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Yes its around 150.00 pounds a to fund the BBC service , for the licence , we get BBC 1 2 3 4 , local BBC news channels on the TV and all the BBC radio shows are also funded . You have to have a licence even if you don;t watch the BBC and watch the commercial channels .

And if you get caught without a licence ..... its a very hefty fine

Edited by Carms

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Yes its around 150.00 pounds a to fund the BBC service , for the licence , we get BBC 1 2 3 4 , local BBC news channels on the TV and all the BBC radio shows are also funded . You have to have a licence even if you don;t watch the BBC and watch the commercial channels .

And if you get caught without a licence ..... its a very hefty fine

150 pounds a year? And these are broadcast signals that go over the air, not like cable where they can control what you see in your house? So basically the government is policing anyone who watches TV? Do people get caught for not paying? How do they police it or how do they get caught? Do they have people going around looking in people's windows?

It just seems totally crazy to me. If it's like a public utility, it should be something allocated out of income taxes, like public broadcasting in the US. I guess you could say you were penalizing people who don't watch TV, but it is rare for someone to not have a TV nowadays and everyone has to subsidize something they don't use or care about via their taxes.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

150 pounds a year? Yes

And these are broadcast signals that go over the air, not like cable where they can control what you see in your house? Yes

So basically the government is policing anyone who watches TV? Yes

Do people get caught for not paying? Yes

How do they police it or how do they get caught? They have detector vans that roam the streets and scan houses with no license.

Do they have people going around looking in people's windows? Probably.

It just seems totally crazy to me. If it's like a public utility, it should be something allocated out of income taxes, like public broadcasting in the US. I guess you could say you were penalizing people who don't watch TV, but it is rare for someone to not have a TV nowadays and everyone has to subsidize something they don't use or care about via their taxes.

It is a public utility and It is a tax Bob, it's a tax every household with a TV pays and it all goes to the BBC. The theory is it creates a quality broadcaster with worldwide appeal and influence that is free from advertisments and advertisers.There are arguments that it gives the BBC an unfair advantage over other broadcasters and is far too politically left wing as well, and there's a debate as to whether it should go to subscription like other broadcasters. Although to be honest we'd probably be paying far more than £150 a year in subscription for everything the BBC provides, it's massive.

A lot of the problems you mentioned earlier about the state of network TV in America is down to advertising, although the subscribed cable channels like HBO are brilliant, however they are quite small compared with the BBC.

It's a hard one and probably needs a different thread.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Also, when you buy a TV it is a legal obligation for the retailer to make you submit your personal details with a correct address so that they can send the information to the TV licensing people. This is whether it's a tiny portable or a giant flat screen

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Also, when you buy a TV it is a legal obligation for the retailer to make you submit your personal details with a correct address so that they can send the information to the TV licensing people. This is whether it's a tiny portable or a giant flat screen

True...and it is everytime you do so...Del.xxxx

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

The Hotel...Channel 4 Sunday nights 8:00PM....fooking quality....The Manager is a perfectionist pain..but harmless...the staff an absolute nightmare..led by the Assistant Manager Kristian......soo fooking funny!!!!!.......My big Fat Gypsy Wedding..is back...can those Hen party/ wedding/Communion dresses get any fooking blancmagegier :hypo: :hypo: :hypo: :hypo: :hypo: ...ha ha haaaa....Delxxxxxx

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest MrC profile photo
Posted

The Hotel...Channel 4 Sunday nights 8:00PM....fooking quality....The Manager is a perfectionist pain..but harmless...the staff an absolute nightmare..led by the Assistant Manager Kristian......soo fooking funny!!!!!.......My big Fat Gypsy Wedding..is back...can those Hen party/ wedding/Communion dresses get any fooking blancmagegier :hypo: :hypo: :hypo: :hypo: :hypo: ...ha ha haaaa....Delxxxxxx

WTF were those pineapple and palmtree dresses all about?!! - Apart from making them look a drag act! Thought it was a shame about the beauty contest though, only 4 entries and no one turning up, although I must admit the girl who did win was the best one there

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

WTF were those pineapple and palmtree dresses all about?!! - Apart from making them look a drag act! Thought it was a shame about the beauty contest though, only 4 entries and no one turning up, although I must admit the girl who did win was the best one there

I know...they were bloody horrible....and the fooking Cat wedding dress..ewwwwww!!!!!....yep that was strange..and she did deserve to win...about the most classiest one there...however...got me about the 16 year old whose parents wouldnt let any boys go near her ,,,,but seemed very clued up..about her own attractiveness...if yer know what i mean :huh: ....i just thought..thank fook i havnt got a girl child :D ...Delxxxxxx

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest GARV profile photo
Posted

150 pounds a year? Yes

And these are broadcast signals that go over the air, not like cable where they can control what you see in your house? Yes

So basically the government is policing anyone who watches TV? Yes

Do people get caught for not paying? Yes........ Because they talk to them , if you say nothing they have nothing.

How do they police it or how do they get caught? They have detector vans that roam the streets and scan houses with no license. :lol: :lol: :lol: ............... sorry , i`m not having a go but this is one of the greatest pieces of propaganda ever to be sold on the British public, in fact its genius. There has never been a conviction of any non license payer with evidence collected by a detector van. Why? , because they do not exist , there are vans with TV license written on them but they are not equipped with anything other than blacked out windows.

There have been quite a few people who have filed expense & expenditure requests of these vans under the freedom of information act to the BBC & TVL & in ALL cases they have refused to under the " national security " get out clause. Again why would a detector van be " national security" well it might be if you don`t want the myth & the fear factor blown out of the water. One defendant asked for the calibration paperwork for the TV detector vans detection devices to be presented to the court , BBC /TVL withdrew their prosecution :g: .

This site makes good reading, http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php

I have not held a license for 4 years , i have had TVL / Capita salesmen visit & i get really scary letters :D threatening me with all sorts.I never ever speak to them or confirm any details, i only asked once for them to get a detector van outside & they will have all the evidence they need for a conviction............... nothing , Nada , nowt .....its a fairy story for adults.

I don`t watch live feeds there for i don`t require the license.

Do they have people going around looking in people's windows? Probably.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

This thread continues to blow my mind.

What do the "detector vans" detect exactly?

The people who have actually been fined, how were they caught? Even if someone looked into my window and saw me using a TV, I would say I was watching a DVD. How could they disprove that?

Also, while it's like a tax, I still don't understand why this wouldn't be rolled into income taxes / government budget. It would probably even save a lot of money given that they wouldn't need a bizarre licensing and enforcement infrastructure.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Boba,the vans were out there in the 70s 80s and 90s catching people out who did not have a license.It went to court and your name put in the paper.A very sad state of affairs,when you look at how much some of the BBC employees get in wages.If we could buy a telly that did not have BBC channels on it we would.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

sorry if its already been said, but suits, anybody watching it?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

oops , sorry Pete, just seen your post, you seen the thread in all about the sou?, should of been on here really, What does harvey collect?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Boba,the vans were out there in the 70s 80s and 90s catching people out who did not have a license.It went to court and your name put in the paper.A very sad state of affairs,when you look at how much some of the BBC employees get in wages.If we could buy a telly that did not have BBC channels on it we would.

Thanks a lot, I'm just trying to understand how the vans caught people. It's not like they can tell if you have a TV or if you're watching broadcast TV. What did they do in the vans?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

oops , sorry Pete, just seen your post, you seen the thread in all about the sou?, should of been on here really, What does harvey collect?

Seems to collect mid-60's soul ballads!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot, I'm just trying to understand how the vans caught people. It's not like they can tell if you have a TV or if you're watching broadcast TV. What did they do in the vans?

I dont know what the equipment was or how it worked,but they were called TV Detector Vans,so I assume that they could pick up a tv signal from a house that had no license.Usually people that were skint and the tv was the pleasure they had. Edited by gainsoul

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I dont know what the equipment was or how it worked,but they were called TV Detector Vans,so I assume that they could pick up a tv signal from a house that had no license.Usually people that were skint and the tv was the pleasure they had.

That's insane. The TV receives signals from the air, it doesn't send out signals. Unless they built TVs in England to send out some sort of RF frequency. Did they really create a whole government scare tactic by having fake vans driving around or could it really sniff out your TV somehow? I'm actually really interested in this now, if someone has a link detailing how it would work, unless everybody is teaming up on the american dude to play a big joke (which would also be awesome).

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

this is gonna be the new crazy thing i'll be excited about for a long time. that page you sent with paragraphs and paragraphs of different peoples theories is so awesome.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

this is gonna be the new crazy thing i'll be excited about for a long time. that page you sent with paragraphs and paragraphs of different peoples theories is so awesome.

also, I love how the vans look like the a-team van. this is getting better and better.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I'm watchin re runs of good ole JR in Dallas :shhh: but come sunday it'll be Homeland which is ( hopefully ) the new 24 :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest MrC profile photo
Posted

also, I love how the vans look like the a-team van. this is getting better and better.

They didn't really look like that... they were just plain old boring vans with a couple of aerials sticking out of the roof!

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

im so into AMERICAN PICKERS at the mo.

hunting round old farms & out buildings etc looking for that rare item to make money on.

sound familiar,lol.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Nah, look more like this. :lol:

post-17800-0-29951900-1329492761_thumb.j

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Seems to collect mid-60's soul ballads!

I've been trying to spot any of the covers and caught a glimpse of a jimmy reed lp I think the other day, surely they'll be some reference to it in future episodes.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

These 2 articles may help Bob...

Here's a few ideas on the detector vans

http://www.guardian....,-22440,00.html

and here's the story of the BBC refusing to give the information when pressed for an answer under the freedom of information act

a mate who did telecomunications in the RAf said the technoglogy doesnt exist and ther just empty vans.

http://gadgets.boing...-that-tv-d.html

Share this forum post

soul source url
Guest MrC profile photo
Posted

And here's a link to the TV Licensing website which explains exactly who needs to purchase a license, what it covers, and what & who is exempt!

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

Back on topic for a minute.....

I'm glad you're all enjoying "Suits" :thumbup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I finally watched the first episode of Grimm last night and quite enjoyed it as did Ellie so will continue to watch for now.

Homeland which starts Thursday looks interesting.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I finally watched the first episode of Grimm last night and quite enjoyed it as did Ellie so will continue to watch for now.

Homeland which starts Thursday looks interesting.

Homeland started last night Chalks, there's a repeat tonight about 11pm without looking. Excellent by the way, looks like a winner.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

I'll got and check it out now mate.

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Don't know where I got Thursday from for Homeland Win, I recorded it last night and the series link set as well :rolleyes:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Noooooooooo! Walking Dead wasn't very good on Friday :( Still stuck on that farm, still faffing about, only killing the odd Walker here and there. It's got a bit bogged down. I want them out on the road, surviving and meeting what's going on out there. It's getting boring.... :ohmy:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Watched Borgen all the way through last week. Very good, nicely plotted, some interesting twists and turns, although by the end it seemed a bit predictable, the failed marriage, the compromises, the transformation from idealist to hard faced bitch. I felt it all was a bit contrived on the whole.

Edited by Matt Male

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Second episode of Grimm tonight... :wink:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Homeland looked promising, have to wait and see if it goes the way of a lot of us program-mes ie sentimental cr#p, was Grimm any good? have set series link.

Share this forum post

soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Show us your great photos (2020)
    Freebasing by Amsterdam Russ on Wed 01 Jan 2020
    • 319 / 8275
    • Amsterdam Russ on 01 Apr 2020
  2. Event Guide - Current State
    Site Stuff by Mike on Tue 31 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 92
    • Mike on 31 Mar 2020
  3. Opportunity: sell me your Guitar Ray
    Record Wants by Michael Bailey on Fri 27 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 211
    • Michael Bailey on 27 Mar 2020
  4. DRY YOUR EYES Lowrider, Chicano, Sweet and Midtempo Soul
    Soul Media by Thejan on Fri 27 Mar 2020
    • 1 / 85
    • Thejan on 27 Mar 2020
  5. Minnie epperson.. grab your clothes .. peacock demo
    Record Wants by golborne soul on Tue 24 Mar 2020
    • 2 / 153
    • Frankie Crocker on 24 Mar 2020

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.