South African Motown Anomaly?

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This is one of the more interesting non-US/UK pressed 45s that I've acquired this year.

Did someone at South African EMI confuse the Soul City label and the Soul label and mistakenly allocate it to Motown?

All the other 5th Dimension SA pressings that I own are on Liberty, as they are in the UK.

Wierd, huh?

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

And also accidentally released in the uk on Columbia

...Not so much a release as an escapee, really.

Although I don't think it came out on Columbia in error, I'm sure that EMI meant to release it on that label...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

A similar thing is the Spinners release of "That's What Girls ... "

This was released by Pye in Australia - I suppose Pye in Australia must have somehow confused it with their own group of the same name.

Cheers

Mick

Sorry, Mick, don't think that's 'similar' at all.

'That's What Girls...' was a US hit that came out all over the world, on a variety of labels. Pye was probably the local licensee of the Tri-Phi 45, just like Columbia was here.

The 5th Dimension 45 erroneously says its 'A Soul Recording' when it's actually 'A Soul City Recording' and thus should probably have been on SA Liberty - like their other Soul City 45s were - rather than on T-M. Both labels were part of the EMI group at the time of its release, here and in SA. As I said before, I suspect that someone out there mixed up the Soul and Soul City labels and stuck it on T-M by mistake.

Social source share

'That's What Girls...' was a US hit that came out all over the world, on a variety of labels. Pye was probably the local licensee of the Tri-Phi 45, just like Columbia was here.

There are other Tri-phi releases on columbia?

The Spinners (uk folk group) are on uk Columbia, its got to be a mix up at the pressing plant, also its illegal to have the same name in this country hence the Motown Spinners/Detroit Spinners names

Social source share

i dont think its nesisarily illegal to have bands with the same name ,but it does cause confusion .If it was illegal why are there release of both Sweet thing & I'll always love you credited to "The Spinners" not "Detroit Spinners" on U.K. tamla motown...as for the south african releases it was probably a clerical error that filed the detailes wrong thus allowing for ther mix up

Edited by MotownDave
Social source share

There are other Tri-phi releases on columbia?

The Spinners (uk folk group) are on uk Columbia, its got to be a mix up at the pressing plant, also its illegal to have the same name in this country hence the Motown Spinners/Detroit Spinners names

The Spinners (the UK Folk Group) had their first record released on the independent Topic label in 1962, a year or two after 'That's What Girls', so no confusion there, just a standard UK release.

Edited by Dean Rudland
Social source share

The Spinners (the UK Folk Group) had there first record released on the independent Topic label in 1962, a year or two after 'That's What Girls', so no confusion there, just a standard UK release.

Great info. That clears up a myth that has hung around since the early eighty's.

I believe the same name rule thing kicks in after the first hit in the uk by whoever?

Social source share

Dean and Chelt - sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but the folk group The Spinners' first UK single was "On Ilkla Mooar Baht", released on Columbia in December 1957. By the time the (Motown) Spinners' "That's What Girls Are Made For" was released here in 1961, they had moved to Topic and released the "Spun in Liverpool" EP that year.

I know it's not a soul related response, but may help (or confuse) somewhere??

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Dean and Chelt - sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but the folk group The Spinners' first UK single was "On Ilkla Mooar Baht", released on Columbia in December 1957. By the time the (Motown) Spinners' "That's What Girls Are Made For" was released here in 1961, they had moved to Topic and released the "Spun in Liverpool" EP that year.

I know it's not a soul related response, but may help (or confuse) somewhere??

So that brings it all back around to the mispress theory.

Incidentally the 45 was discovered in a junk shop in Cheltenham by Adey Pountain

I had passed it by after playing it and seeing no potential, Northern Soul wise.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert