Otis Clay - (Artist Of The Week)

45cellar

from the depths of the site articles section...

Otis Clay - Notes taken from a dutch 80/90s album

Otis Clay

Although he was on the brink of nationwide stardom in 1972 while on the same Memphis based Hi label that launched Al Green, Otis inexplicably never reached the same heights thatGreen did. But with his driving seven-piece band {featuring the unparalleled Chicago Fire horn section),

Clay continues to epitomize the very finest in raw, emotionally supercharged soul.Like so many of his contemporaries, Otis Clay found his early inspiration in the gospel music he heard around his Waxhaw, Mississippi birthplace. His initial appearance on wax came as lead vocalist of the Gospel Songbirds, one of many such aggregations he joined after he moved to Chicago in 1957.

But the secular scene beckoned, and after an unissued session for Columbia, Otis signed with Chicago's One-der-ful Records in 1965. Often working with writer-producers Jimmy Jones and Eddie Silvers, Clay debuted with an intense soul ballad, "A Flame In Your Heart," and solidified his reputation with brisk sellers such as "I'm Satisfied," Cash McCall's "That's How It Is" and the hard-charging "Got To Find A Way." Otis switched to the Atlantic Records combine in mid-'68, inaugurating their Cotillion subsidiary with a Rick Hall-produced Muscle Shoals cover of the Sir Douglas Quintet's "She's About A Mover," eventually cutting three more singles for the firm.

full article here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/articles/soul-articles/otis-clay-notes-r276

Social source share

After first hearing Bob Jones play the only way is up on his radio show in the mid 80's, little did I know how much pleasure his music would give me over the following years. Don't think there's a record I don't like of his, with his Hi period being my favourite. Saying that his live version of Love Don't Love Nobody takes some beating, 8 mins of soul heaven.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

oh hell yeah, the first Otis 45 I ever owned, :thumbsup:

I first heard it in the late 70s when my mate bought a 300+ collection for £300 of an ex wheel/ torch goer, all on British with the odd exeption.He had this on Red Atlantic.Nice.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

The P-Vine album "Got To Find A Way" contains an absolute monster unissued track "I Don't Know What I'd Do". I wonder if it's ever had Northern scene spins as it's an absolute belter.

Phenomenal singer, right up there with the all-time greats.

Still on my wants list..... Dave Flynn has my standing order....

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Some great clips put up guys. An absolute legend of SOUL music and some really good gospel as well. Just so many, many great tracks to choose from. There aren't many artists I can listen to singularly for hours on end but Otis Clay is one of them (and his old mate OV). A few more fine tracks from the man -------

Social source share

Some great clips put up guys. An absolute legend of SOUL music and some really good gospel as well. Just so many, many great tracks to choose from. There aren't many artists I can listen to singularly for hours on end but Otis Clay is one of them (and his old mate OV). A few more fine tracks from the man -------

That "I Lost Someone" AWESOME! "propper" stuff Dave :thumbsup:

why ain't it on a nice little One-Der-Ful 45? :(

steve

Social source share

The P-Vine album "Got To Find A Way" contains an absolute monster unissued track "I Don't Know What I'd Do". I wonder if it's ever had Northern scene spins as it's an absolute belter.

Phenomenal singer, right up there with the all-time greats.

Aww Gareth, some things are better unsaid.

Been on my wants list for ages, have never seen one other than the usual guy in Japan selling a few years ago but price was too high for me (i.e. it wasn't in shillings)

Awseome singer, his Live LP being a leader in that Genre, and his beat ballads on One-Der-Ful are some of the finest of that genre, the 3 greatest are

That's How It Is (When You're In Love)

A Lasting Love

Tired Of Falling (In And Out Of Love) - 1966

One of my finer moments as a DJ was playing Tired of Falling out in a Northern spot, the dance floor played musical statues for 3 minutes but it was worth it for the sheer visceral pleasure of hearing that moment of beauty blasting out the speakers.

Great artist and my biggest wish I had seen him live regret!Q

Social source share

Still on my wants list..... Dave Flynn has my standing order....

Oopps you beat me to it. Hope your recovery is going well, and you are looking after yourself young man.

I feel I should point out that this record may be too exciting for your new health regime so feel free to pass it on to me, being such a nice guy I would obviously accept grudgingly!

Social source share

Aww Gareth, some things are better unsaid.

Been on my wants list for ages, have never seen one other than the usual guy in Japan selling a few years ago but price was too high for me (i.e. it wasn't in shillings)

Awseome singer, his Live LP being a leader in that Genre, and his beat ballads on One-Der-Ful are some of the finest of that genre, the 3 greatest are

That's How It Is (When You're In Love)

A Lasting Love

Tired Of Falling (In And Out Of Love) - 1966

One of my finer moments as a DJ was playing Tired of Falling out in a Northern spot, the dance floor played musical statues for 3 minutes but it was worth it for the sheer visceral pleasure of hearing that moment of beauty blasting out the speakers.

Great artist and my biggest wish I had seen him live regret!Q

nice one Jocko, would that be at Shotts?

steve

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

:D

stuff like that really getting me in the mood for Essence's back room! (the music of course!)

looking forward to catching up Dave :thumbsup:

steve

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Oopps you beat me to it. Hope your recovery is going well, and you are looking after yourself young man.

I feel I should point out that this record may be too exciting for your new health regime so feel free to pass it on to me, being such a nice guy I would obviously accept grudgingly!

Thanks, Jocko, I'm resting well. If i ever get two copies of the LP I'll give you a shout.

M

Social source share

If i ever get two copies of the LP I'll give you a shout.

Spotted a couple of copies on the shelves recently, but they didn't have their 'obi' paper strip, and when you add on the postage I didn't think they were worth picking up...curse the strength of the Yen when selling to the UK!!

ranting_1.gif

Social source share

• 7 years later...
On 01/02/2012 at 11:31, Guest Dave Turner said:

Gonna take my heart.......  super soul 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!