Champion a tune

that you think never got the recognition, under played, never played ( to your knowledge), come on lets have some entries, there's a lot of soul loving people on these boards. i'll start off, perhaps one of my ALL TIME favourite records, anybody who knows me probably sick of me banging on about this one...

Nick Ashford - 'When I feel the need' on Verve, covered by Marvin (okayish). Our kid picked up 5 copies of this 1977 - still got mine. You can pick it up for about £10 today. next...

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The "Terrible" Frankie Nieves - True Love ( Speed) .

awesome Latin Soul out of New York........... £5 from some fella in Sweden.......worth at least a £1000...................( ha,ha,ha)

Social source share

never heard these two track will keep my ears + eyes on the lookout. I think Syl Johnson is a cracking artist, gonna dig out what i've got of his

adios

Social source share

never heard these two track will keep my ears + eyes on the lookout. I think Syl Johnson is a cracking artist, gonna dig out what i've got of his

adios

Syl is well worth picking up. I've p[layed it out a few times the last 18 months. "Same Kind Of Thing" on Twinight ain't too bad either.

Social source share

Just got the Symphonics "No More" (Brunswick) brilliant girl group sound, anyone else know this ( stupid question, someone will have had it on release :-) )

Social source share

Another couple I've pushed whenever had the chance is Syng McGowan - Just In The Nick Of Time - Hope and Benny Latimore - Girl I've Got News For You -Dade. Know one or two others who've picked BL up after hearing it and it's always got a few to the decks to see what it is.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Just got the Symphonics "No More" (Brunswick) brilliant girl group sound, anyone else know this ( stupid question, someone will have had it on release :-)  )

Nice - an unusal vocal but it grows on you, great backing and an excellent beat.

Social source share

I'm going to champion a couple that I've been hammering at George Jackson Lives in London:

King Floyd "I'm For Real" from the Chimneyville lp "Well Done".

A brilliant midtempo 1970s tune, with lashings of soul, breaks, strings, horns etc.

The Masqueraders "How Big Is Big" on Bell.

Amazing left-field, building Soul record; which could be the next "Pyramid". I love it. The other side, "Please Take Me Back" is probably the greatest group deep soul record I think I've ever heard. To me it's their finest moment on vinyl, so a great value 45. Grab it while it's cheap.

Social source share

I've never heard this out, although to be fair I ain't been going out that long!!!!

Johnny Nash - You Never Know - MGM

Cheap as chips, but I thought it must be worth a fortune the first time I heard it, it's that good!

Has it ever been anyones 'signature' tune? or has it been hammered and disapeared to obscurity again??

I think it's a superb track, and play it whenever I get chance.

Jamie

Social source share

Another couple I've pushed whenever had the chance is Syng McGowan - Just In The Nick Of Time - Hope and Benny Latimore - Girl I've Got News For You  -Dade.  Know one or two others who've picked BL up after hearing it and it's always got a few to the decks to see what it is.

Spot on tunes Chalky, love the Benny Latimore - Dade, needs some turntable action, does anyone know Willie Cager - "He's A Player" - Contact, awsome tune IMPO, or a great version of "You Beat Me To The Punch" (Mary Wells) by Charity Brown on A&M ? The Charity Brown is a great version from 1974, dancable and very soulful, the Willie Cager is crossover perfection, great vocal performance and one of those 45's you play 20 times in a row when you first get it.

Andy

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm not sure if they are played out much, I assume not...

The Candi-Bars "I Believe In You" on Candi-Stix records. Great crossover soul with some nice funky stabs.

candi.jpg

And Barbara Lynn "Mellow Feelign pt1" on Love. Nice modern soul and certainly much much better and a lot rarer than that horrid Burning Desire tosh (IMHO of course).

barbaralynn.jpg

Social source share

5 tunes I would champion if I DJed at northern venues more than once a year:

Jimmy Ellis - Puttin' It On Your Mind - SALEM

Fabulous Dimensions - I Can't Take It, Baby - SAPPHIRE

Little Sherman & The Mod Swingers - Price Of Love - SAGPORT and ABC

Shirley Wahls - Because I Love You - CALLA

Danny White - Natural Soul Brother - SSS

Most of them still with decent price tags as well.

Social source share

i know i said one tune, but who cares, my second choice is a mid tempo beauty from the lady herself - Kim Weston on Rakim called 'Detroit' just floats, I don't know the price of this. also a mention the album 'Four poster bed' from the same lady. i'm defintely adding all of these track to my wants list.

adios

pedro

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'm going to champion a couple that I've been hammering at George Jackson Lives in London:

King Floyd "I'm For Real" from the Chimneyville lp "Well Done".

A brilliant midtempo 1970s tune, with lashings of soul, breaks, strings, horns etc.

The Masqueraders "How Big Is Big" on Bell.

Amazing left-field, building Soul record; which could be the next "Pyramid". I love it. The other side, "Please Take Me Back" is probably the greatest group deep soul record I think I've ever heard. To me it's their finest moment on vinyl, so a great value 45. Grab it while it's cheap.

You'll do for me son a couple of corkers We recently got the Masqueraders on a Swap CD from a certain Scotch Bloke and it was the STANDOUT for me (apart from maybe Wall of Sound ;o))) awesome soul record and we have had the King Floyd for ages it is just superb ;o))

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Ok then two from me as to put more up would be greedy ;o)) Both midtempo and verging on sixties which is if you know me unusual for me ;o)))

Roosevelt & the 7C's - We were always sweethearts - Rondo

A sixties Tex-Mex fest with Tijuana style horns and wonderful vocals and plods along at a decent midtempo pace. I know it's had a few spins in the past from the SITC boys darn in the smerk a class act. Flip is a storming funk number that i personally love to death "Black Cat" as we say in our house Chooooooooooon.

Spartans - I don't need another lover - Era

A man of equisite taste Mr David Fleming (one M) put me onto this a few years ago now and it really does get under your skin. Another that could be said to be similar in feel to "Pyramids" Honey coated vocal and soaring instrumentation just takes you out of yourself and off to another place fanf**kingtastic record. Although quite obviously a 70's record there is a very strong 60's feel to this definately one to watch out for.

John

Social source share

Spencer - Searchin' For Love - Midtown

Two fantastic out and out NORTHERN SOUL records and cheap, never played that much but should be.........

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

Good call on the Spencer - fabulous record. Played it at SITC last month and will do so again next week.

Paul

SITC

Social source share

Bobby King & The Relation - Don't Give Up Hope (Lunar)

so right for now - (as unscrupulous record dealers say)

The Vanguards - The Thought of Losing Your Love (Lamp)

Idiosyncratic but amazing record - doesn't fit readily into any category (probably why I like it)

Social source share

Benny Latimore - Girl I've Got News For You  -Dade.

Top Record Chalky!! Bought this one blind after I stumbled across his top version of 'There She Is' - also on Dade.

Today, I shall be championing the torchy 'Please Tell Me' by Ruby Stackhouse on Kellmac (who apparently is Ruby Andrews)

cheers

Scotty

Social source share

Top Record Chalky!! Bought this one blind after I stumbled across his top version of 'There She Is' - also on Dade.

Today, I shall be championing the torchy 'Please Tell Me' by Ruby Stackhouse on Kellmac (who apparently is Ruby Andrews)

cheers

Scotty

I always thought that Ruby Stackhouse also recorded as Ruby Winters, could be wrong though.

Love the flip to Please Tell Me

Andy F

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!