Northern Soul Clapping

Davebanks

One of the exciting things about going to a Northern Soul dance is the participation of the crowd.

Some records just lend themselves to more than just a few steps on the dancefloor and clapping in time to the beat or the break becomes part why that particular record is popular. so much so that many Northern tracks "lose" a certain excitement when played at home even loudly.

Did this clapping start at the Wheel? It was certainly well established by the time of the Torch.

Whats your favourite participation record then?

Epitome of Sound "You dont love me" does it for me, the clapping bit is not so obvious but sounds fantastic echoing around a venue.

Dave Banks

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've said this before but at Yate, Epitome of Sound, and Gene Woodbury, there would be the three quick claps, follwed by another three (echo) and than an almighty one. I've not heard that happen anywhere outside of the West Country when those tunes have been played.

I guess my fave would be an unpopular one. Interplay. Again, some parts of the country used to clap the once. in the West there would be 2 claps.

Also loved the clapping to Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl at the Capitol Soul Club nights. Awesome clappage.

Social source share

The Outsiders - Lonely Man . The break left room for two massive claps , Whereas The Jewels - WGT break left room for 8.

I can remember a time at St Ives when it was the done thing( amongst us hipsters) to air clap... go through the motions but not actually make any sound...My God we were cool :facepalm:

Time for the arrival of the clap police methinks perhaps it could be mentioned on flyers, clap :wicked: friendly. Or some forward thinker could start Clap lessons .

Joking apart, 100's of soulies in a venue, clapping in unison sounds Brilliant!! :yes:

Social source share

Barbara McNair - You're gonna love my baby. This record has always been a great one to clap with, it gives the low-level beat a bit more 'bite'.

I think hand-clapping is great, it really adds to the atmosphere. It doesn't seem to be quite as prevalent these days though, maybe because it hurts more after a while as you get older.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I remember the trinity hall,bristol 1983.clapping to the right track absolutely echoed around the place.

Was that the one Vince Ayers ran? I think Brian Rae might have been the guest? Cracking venue, but they only held one niter there, that I can remember.

Social source share

well done, a positive thread!, i was expecting someone moaning about people clapping!

don't forget the smiles :) its the atmosphere that makes any club.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Whenever I get over to UK and go to an allnighter I automatically go for a big clap at the appropriate moment only to find that usually I'm in a small minority. Then I feel like a bit of a prick as if it went out of fashion ages ago.

At nearly all dos in Australia we clap like 17 year olds.

BTW "clappage" - fantastic term whoever said that.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Clapping is a funny one isn't it, very enjoyable but you really do look and sound like a prick if you get it wrong...hard to make it look like its the person next to you as well...

Pete Smith did some podcasts on tapes from Wigan with some great hand clapping, which some other soul had posted on You tube,

and some nifty Double clapping to footsie and all that..........

https://www.youtube.c...u/0/1XIyl0U0eGI

enjoy.

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Would love to clap but never quite get in the right place and look/feel a total twit!!

Refer to the above post preceeding this one...

You either have the clap or you don't... :yes:

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Was that the one Vince Ayers ran? I think Brian Rae might have been the guest? Cracking venue, but they only held one niter there, that I can remember.

Yes,i believe they only held one niter there which is a shame but it was a cracking night to remember for a great atmosphere.
Social source share

Guest mickeyb

I've said this before but at Yate, Epitome of Sound, and Gene Woodbury, there would be the three quick claps, follwed by another three (echo) and than an almighty one. I've not heard that happen anywhere outside of the West Country when those tunes have been played.

I guess my fave would be an unpopular one. Interplay. Again, some parts of the country used to clap the once. in the West there would be 2 claps.

Also loved the clapping to Wake Up To The Sunshine Girl at the Capitol Soul Club nights. Awesome clappage.

Hi Mikey,

I'm pretty sure it was the Stroud Crowd who started that double clapping at Yate. At the time I couldn't get my head round it - probably because I had a Wigan head on - but I'd like to hear it now. Budgie - where's my Yate '78 tape?

Best

x

Social source share

Have to be the Brothers "Are You Ready For This" for a good old hand clap or Ramsey Lewis "The In Crowd" two infectious tunes that always get me every time out of many others.

Social source share

you lot like some right ole poop :wink:

Some people never miss an opportunity to decry the records played in the past in an attempt to show how upfront they are.

A decent thread with some good contributions, then someone has a pop because others like something they don't.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Some people never miss an opportunity to decry the records played in the past in an attempt to show how upfront they are.

A decent thread with some good contributions, then someone has a pop because others like something they don't.

nowt to do with upfront.........years ago l had a battered old mini,took us 8 hours to get home from yate once...you could see the road through the floor....used to love that mini,but with time l knew it was a shite car.........thats how it is with tunes back in the day,with time you recognise the shite for what they were and also embrace superb new to you (whilst still loving the best of the back in the day SOUL TUNES )............good soul is always good soul.......and pop shite is just that pop shite....recognise it!!!...and for f**k sake pack up with the clapping.....atb upfront oldies tezza

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Are you like this in real life or just on here? To Peggy B

just tell it how it is............rather than how plenty would like it to be

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!