Bobby Treetop. So Sweet So Satisfyin

Guest giant

can't believe it finished so cheap on JM'S AUCTION RARE STOCK COPY seen promos go for lot more.

any thoughts why it finished so low' great tune imo

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

can't believe it finished so cheap on JM'S AUCTION RARE STOCK COPY seen promos go for lot more.

any thoughts why it finished so low' great tune imo

that is a pretty hard record that rarely comes up for sale (unlike the other one), I agree it was kind of cheap

Social source share

'Cause it's not that good of a record? Admittedly, I own a stock copy of this, but I really don't like distorted guitar in soul records aside from a select few. Happy to let it go for what the one on Manship went for.

i agree, there are a lot of records that are rarer than the more common ones, but the whole reason they're rarer is that they're not very good. i still need this bobby treetop and the other paul smith on jacklyn for example.

Social source share

but the whole reason they're rarer is that they're not very good..

The whole reason they are rarer is because they did not get the proper marketing and promotion!!!!

It does not matter if they are great or crap it's ALL down to promotion!

Look at all the rubbish that get to become a number 1 chart records, by using marketing and promotion!.

Social source share

The whole reason they are rarer is because they did not get the proper marketing and promotion!!!!

Look at all the rubbish that get to become a number 1 chart records, by using marketing and promotion!.

whatever. you're saying that the only reason a record succeeds or fails is due to promotion because "it does not matter if they are great or crap." That's obviously false, if it were true then the record industry would be deterministic and anyone could have a hit on any record based on how much money they put into promotion.

Social source share

Sorry but that's not really correct and certainly not the whole reason why a record may be rare. Marketing and Promotion can sell a lot of crap for sure, but there's hundreds of rare records that simply weren't good enough in terms of the competition at the time. "So Sweet So Satisfying" simply is not that great - it certainly didn't have chart potential at the time IMO. Rare for sure but not a patch on "Wait 'Til I Get To Know You" and my guess is that's probably what the Chicago radio DJ's said when they were serviced with it at the time. Tuff were certainly capable of selling records (didn't they have a huge seller with the Jaynetts record?), so I doubt they would have let a potential hit slip away if it were down to them.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Sorry but that's not really correct and certainly not the whole reason why a record may be rare. Marketing and Promotion can sell a lot of crap for sure, but there's hundreds of rare records that simply weren't good enough in terms of the competition at the time. "So Sweet So Satisfying" simply is not that great - it certainly didn't have chart potential at the time IMO. Rare for sure but not a patch on "Wait 'Til I Get To Know You" and my guess is that's probably what the Chicago radio DJ's said when they were serviced with it at the time. Tuff were certainly capable of selling records (didn't they have a huge seller with the Jaynetts record?), so I doubt they would have let a potential hit slip away if it were down to them.....

Ian D :D

the chicago radio market was one of the tightest controlled market in terms of payola, control over what got played, etc. Yet there still were local hits on tiny labels (who didn't have enough money to promote) and many garbage major label records that were promoted but nothing happened.

Social source share

was it played at the torch? I know 'wait till...' was and its sounds sooo like a typical torch tune, i cant believe they wouldnt of played it if they'd know about it or had a copy, love it myself.

Not sure when it was 1st played but I heard "So Sweet...." in the summer of 73, and it was the back end of 72 when I heard "Wait Till...." for the 1st time.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

i think first played around "73".. i always thought it was the B side of "wait till i get....". and not played as much because it`s not as good. and when booted/pressed had different B side.. when it came up on john manship`s list thought i look for one !!!

put world wide search in my i phone,and believe it or not one popped up.

starting bib $0.99.

was winning bidder at ..... wait for it.... $25..hahaha..

but must point out vinyl good - (scuffs & dull to look at), BUT PLAYS EXCELLENT !!!!

well happy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!