Bin The Talc For Once And For All

ive been at venues when the floor is perfect to dance on with any kind of souled shoe and talc is used by some which then inturn makes it un danceable for most, ive been to venues when talc aint allowed but the floor just wasnt good enough to dance on far too sticky, one of the most important factors on the scene is the dance floor and too many venues forget this which is a shame, any promoter worth their salt would make sure their venue`s dance floor is as good as it can be and then there would be nO need for talc, sometimes talc is defo needed cos of shite dance floors but a sprinkle on the edge to line your souls is enough and not the ridiculous amounts some dins think is needed, saying that different folk different dance styles some need it to take the strain out the old aching limbs and some dont need it, moderation is the key but some just go OTT,

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Guest soul elite

Ok, maybe someone could walk around every now and then, you could see who these offenders are. I agree people should certainly have respect for the venues/ cleaners etc. I have never seen anyone do these things and would be compelled to say something to them if I did.

Social source share

For goodness sake, You're blowing this out of proportion!!

Going to stop looking at this thread because your pomposity is very irritating.

Eight posts later. :g:

Ok, maybe someone could walk around every now and then, you could see who these offenders are. I agree people should certainly have respect for the venues/ cleaners etc. :yes: .

I have to agree with highlighted part of your last one. :thumbsup:

or just....Bin The Talc For Once And For All. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Ah well its a girlies perogative to say one thing and do another! Haha.

I totally agree its not acceptable to throw talc around wantonly but a small amount at the side of the floor is no more dangerous than spilt drinks you always get.

Social source share

Guest soul elite

I totally agree its not acceptable to throw talc around wantonly but a small amount at the side of the floor is no more dangerous than spilt drinks you always get.

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

having just returned from soul in the sun , and upon arrival jokingly adding o onto all my English words, went to get some of the white dust from the shop, and pmsl when asking for talco was actually fluent Spanish :D :D

And the organiser actually went round putting it down. Did you enjoy it Diddy cuz we certainly did?
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Oh bugger, thats what happens when i reply on my phone... I end up duplicating, sorry!!

I read them all individually and never realised hahahahahahah attention span of a goldfish. Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

Lovely calling me an ASSet! :sleep3::boxing: .is it because ive touched a nerve? facts are that event promoters are worried about people claiming for an injury caused by the heavy use of talc and your worried about either your equipment or your image???.when the real dangers are spilled drinks,poor maintance of venues facilities or your ego,people are unlikely to sue for A TALC INDUCED INJURY.what promoters should be aware of is people suing for deafness due to the speakers surpassing safe decibel limits,lower limb injuries caused by long term strain on the ankles and knees because the dancers were dancing on a surface which was inadequately "lubricated"-while were at it why dont we ban peolple from spinning which is again likely to cause some one an injury,or acrobatics on a crowded dance floor again due the dangers it imposes on bystanders! wind your kneck in your getting personal and stop trying to be all P.C and accept it some dancers use talc and always will until they design shoe that self "talcs" or you can change its sole to suit any venues floor and conditions

inadequately "lubricated" WD40 As recommended by Kev H.......K.Y gell is for pussies :ohmy:

design shoe that self "talcs" https://talcbagsshoes..._Flats_#photo=4 nice comment :thumbup:

Edited by Irish Spinner
Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

if they ban talc just think of the tunes we couldnt dance to any more because they would be outlawed-.1 talc of the grapevine donald height.2 keep on talcing james barnett.3ike and tina turner dust my broom.4let the people talc the steptones.5 talcin about you girl soul merchants.6 slippin around with you art freeman.7black powder james coit.8talcin bout poor folks etc etc etc :lol: .anybody think of any others???

Social source share

if they ban talc just think of the tunes we couldnt dance to any more because they would be outlawed-.1 talc of the grapevine donald height.2 keep on talcing james barnett.3ike and tina turner dust my broom.4let the people talc the steptones.5 talcin about you girl soul merchants.6 slippin around with you art freeman.7black powder james coit.8talcin bout poor folks etc etc etc :lol: .anybody think of any others???

They're talc-in about me Johnny Bragg........why can't we talc it over Larry Allen.......I got the powder Joanne Courcey

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

enough "talc it over" type jokes, stick to the topic please and remember no abuse or insults.

thats the problem chalky if we used talc we wouldnt "stick to the subject" hey do use realise if this goes further even your user name has a"" banned substance "ring to it! :rofl:

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

mumble never used talc , blamed the floor ,or his shoes! not seen it used on strictly either!! ban it !!

how do you know what they use behind the scene? anyway what you doing watching strictly??? shouldnt you be out supporting a soul event :g: again whats a programme about z list stars showing themselves up on national tv got to do with northern?.people are missing the point.we all cant afford leather soled shoes or bespoke dance footwear to be used on near perfect dance floors-so some of us peasants use talc-but hey ill start a new trend ill start using silicone spray or how about olive oil or flour now these 2 are edible and 1 will preserve the floor,the other would be difficult to ban as its a food product :wicked:
Social source share

...we all cant afford leather soled shoes or bespoke dance footwear to be used on near perfect dance floors-so some of us peasants use talc-...

Who says they have to be leather? I don't like leather soles for dancing and have been wearing smooth, resin-soled and slip-on shoes for years. Thing is, even these are increasingly hard to find nowadays because of the fashion for chunky tread soles. :(

Social source share

Guest soul elite

Hey Lambrettanik,

Speak for yourself, I not a peasant!! Haha. I have leather soles & heels and still Talc.I'm beginning think maybe I Should just stop dancing.

Social source share

Yep, I'm doing the other girlie thing of being a martyr!!!!! >8^P

well don't be setting yourself on fire on the dancefloor, the smell of burning flesh would play havoc on my stomach during my chemical mindedness.

infact that should be thread, stop the bloody food, not the talc!

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

Hey Lambrettanik,

Speak for yourself, I not a peasant!! Haha. I have leather soles & heels and still Talc.I'm beginning think maybe I Should just stop dancing.

yeh i got leather soles 2 without coming across as sexist-mens shoes with leather soles tend to be a bit expensive plus so is the cost of repairing them-but i do agree i think there is some spoil sports out there who want to stop people having a good time or turning the soul scene into an extreme sport,were you have to wear pads and helmets and dodge red tape just to enjoy yourself-hey why dont we let the anti talc nazis put grip tape or sand paper on the floor so they feel safe from slipping and we'll bring our own pieces of dance floor ala break dance style-everyones a winner :thumbsup:
Social source share

Who says they have to be leather? I don't like leather soles for dancing and have been wearing smooth, resin-soled and slip-on shoes for years. Thing is, even these are increasingly hard to find nowadays because of the fashion for chunky tread soles. :(

I've a pair of leather soled brogues, pair of Dr martins and now and again adidas trainers, no problem in any of them and my knees are f*cked from football and jumping off trailers :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

how do you know what they use behind the scene? anyway what you doing watching strictly??? shouldnt you be out supporting a soul event :g: again whats a programme about z list stars showing themselves up on national tv got to do with northern?.people are missing the point.we all cant afford leather soled shoes or bespoke dance footwear to be used on near perfect dance floors-so some of us peasants use talc-but hey ill start a new trend ill start using silicone spray or how about olive oil or flour now these 2 are edible and 1 will preserve the floor,the other would be difficult to ban as its a food product :wicked:

I tried the silicon spray somewhere, I think it was Bretby, absolutely lethal, loved the comment you made to ''stick to the subject'' very funny :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hey Lambrettanik,

Whilst I'm not a lover of talc, I'd never advocate people should stop dancing, it's not a big enough issue for such drastic action, just look at it as we're grumpy old men with nothing better to moan about at the moment :D:thumbsup:

Social source share

ive been at venues when the floor is perfect to dance on with any kind of souled shoe and talc is used by some which then inturn makes it un danceable for most, ive been to venues when talc aint allowed but the floor just wasnt good enough to dance on far too sticky, one of the most important factors on the scene is the dance floor and too many venues forget this which is a shame, any promoter worth their salt would make sure their venue`s dance floor is as good as it can be and then there would be nO need for talc, sometimes talc is defo needed cos of shite dance floors but a sprinkle on the edge to line your souls is enough and not the ridiculous amounts some dins think is needed, saying that different folk different dance styles some need it to take the strain out the old aching limbs and some dont need it, moderation is the key but some just go OTT,

Great post and I agree 100 % ......Moderation Moderation !!!!!! Btw I like to dance on a fantastic wooden dancefloor :P with a tiny bit of help from the white stuff :) ....but I am also the one who cleans up the venue after the allnighter (Motte) :huh::hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest soul elite

well i didn't want to say this because i'm not a person who wants sympathy but i have a condition called Hereditory motor and sensory neuropathy which means my balance is not good and my muscles are weak and if the floor is at all grippy then i fall over! Thats why i say i need a bit of talc, not masses just a bit. So please all you people who say bin the talc it isn't because we think its trendy or because we crap dancers ok???

Social source share

In my opinion, as someone said on an earlier post - Talc in absolute moderation is fine, also about wearing the right shoes (Leather soles) is also obviously a good point. It's funny; I actually stopped wearing leather soled shoes because people were putting too much talc down!

Now if I go somewhere and there's no talc, I don't only struggle but I also squeak! - Irish will vouch for this lol....So, after what's been said and of course the banning of it at many venues (Health and Safety) I'm gonna go shoe shopping!...I just sounded like a girl didn't I?... :O)

All the best,

Len.

post-1733-0-49940500-1322059805_thumb.jp

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

In my opinion, as someone said on an earlier post - Talc in absolute moderation is fine, also about wearing the right shoes (Leather soles) is also obviously a good point. It's funny; I actually stopped wearing leather soled shoes because people were putting too much talc down!

...I just sounded like a girl didn't I?... :O)

All the best,

Len.

post-1733-0-49940500-1322059805_thumb.jp

what do you mean......didn.t l

Social source share

And similar views from a Ceroc forum here...

https://forum.cerocsc...Talc-or-No-Talc

OMG how BIG is this issue?

I think we have only just begun to scratch the surface...

Flamenco, Morris Dancing, River-Dance, Scottish Country? I'm off to investigate...... :g:

SOUL ELITE EXPOSED teaching her TWISTED WAYS to Youngsters...... :ohmy:

C_67_article_2072192_body_articleblock_1_bodyimage.jpg?04%2F06%2F2010%2010%3A27%3A26%3A246

Edited by ritchie
Social source share

I read in the above link that these dancers change their dance style to suit the floor, these sound like professional type dancers - I think most of us only have the one 'Jig' that has it's good days and bad days, so this talk of changing ones dance style is a bit out of reach for most of our 'talents'! :O)

I know some folk that take three pairs of shoes out with them and change them to suit the floor.

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I almost can't believe I'm posting on this topic. :facepalm:

All venue operators (and for that matter promoters) are obliged to carry out a competent Risk Assessment. Where a risk is identified they need to take 'all reasonable steps' to mitigate that risk. If they do both of these they will (in all likelihood) be shown to have shown 'Due Diligence' if they are sued by someone being injured in their venue / event.

Their only defence otherwise is to try and prove that the risk was not apparent to them and wouldn't have been foreseen by any other reasonable person in their position.

Councils therefore have seen the injuries / the claims / the increase in insurers insisting on an written policy on 'prevention of slips, trips and falls' and made the judgement that the only reasonable way to mitigate the risk is to ban talc.

I think if a promoter has even read this topic they cannot say they are unaware of the risk (albeit a small one) and so if they condone (or do not show due diligence in preventing) the use of talc they shouldn't be surprised in venues pass on any liability to them. And given that most are not covered by public liability insurance any damages would need to be met by them personally.

You can have all the opinions you like about it helping some people dance, being 'part of northern soul' (whatever the hell that means), ruining carpets, chairs, records and equipment or the impact on arthritic knees of it being banned; as you like. It all comes down to who pays the compo if someone is hurt.

Edited by ged parker
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

All venue operators (and for that matter promoters) are obliged to carry out a competent Risk Assessment. Where a risk is identified they need to take 'all reasonable steps' to mitigate that risk. If they do both of these they will (in all likelihood) be shown to have shown 'Due Diligence' if they are sued by someone being injured in their venue / event.

Their only defence otherwise is to try and prove that the risk was not apparent to them and wouldn't have been foreseen by any other reasonable person in their position.

Councils therefore have seen the injuries / the claims / the increase in insurers insisting on an written policy on 'prevention of slips, trips and falls' and made the judgement that the only reasonable way to mitigate the risk is to ban talc.

I think if a promoter has even read this topic they cannot say they are unaware of the risk (albeit a small one) and so if they condone (or do not show due diligence in preventing) the use of talc they shouldn't be surprised in venues pass on any liability to them. And given that most are not covered by public liability insurance any damages would need to be met by them personally.

You can have all the opinions you like about it helping some people dance, being 'part of northern soul' (whatever the hell that means), ruining carpets, chairs, records and equipment or the impact on arthritic knees of it being banned; as you like. It all comes down to who pays the compo if someone is hurt.

Exactly!! :rofl: Well put Ged!! :thumbsup:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

Bang on the nose Ged, someone else at last giving the facts rather than a punters view. You would think Lambrettanik the health and safety rep would know all the above instead of saying a disclaimer is sufficient, it isn't. You have to be seen to be doing something about it or like you said you are liable to any damages awarded in the case of a claim.

What is plainly obvious is that most on here have not had dealings with venue owners and in particular venues owned by the council.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

word for word spot on

Social source share