Most Soulful Record

Guest brummiemick

If we are talking generic soulful sound, then I'd put in mine as Rance Allen Group 'Showdown' from Stax.

Little bit gospelly I suppose, but you can actually 'feel' the soulful emotions in the song, always liked this one.

Aid.

Without a doubt the most Soulful vocal performance on a dancer I've ever heard, the range level RANCE hits on this remarkable version of the old ARCHIE BELL chestnut almost defies belief..Said the same thing on another thread recently I am sure!.... :hatsoff2: .

Social source share

Great thread...certainly can't argue with Sam Cooke and James Carr. True soul greats.

Just a few for now from the top of my dome...

Timmy Shaw - Thunder In My Heart

Lee Jones & The Sounds Of Soul - This Heart Is Haunted

Irma Thomas - Wish Someone Would Care

One that always gets me everytime is Otis Redding's version of A Change Is Gonna Come. However, can't find good enough youtube clip to do it justice.

Social source share

Interesting thread this and lots I personally don't know and will enjoy looking up, as always!

So many records and artists do it for me (a good few above) and depends on your mood / where you are / who you're with etc I guess.

Recently recorded a few 45's onto CD for the car and sometimes driving you hear a song in a different way. I nearly had to pull over the other day when I listened real carefully to JP Robinson - "Our day is here", played nice and loud. Seems right for some returning war heroes now and in the future too I think.

Examples of a few others I currently love listening to which I think are real soulful are Enchanted Five - "Darling I need you now" and Universal Joint - "Love won't wear off (as the years wear on)".

Also recently re-discovered an old Spyder Turner LP with a gorgeous soulful version of "I can't wait until I see my baby's face". Sublime.

Could go on all night, as obviously there's a mind boggling volume of unbelievable soul out there. I just feel blessed there's so much to hear for the first time which I just know is gonna have the same effect on me as a few examples above.

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

Hard one top pick but maybe for me is Truth - Come back home ?

.....Then I could go onto Curtis or Sam Dees.

Just so may as most of us could pick thousands of different records out.That's what makes the Soul Scene so special.

Marcus Sofa Soul

Edited by Marcus B
Social source share

When I think about a near perfect production that includes a dynamite arrangement and mix with an excellent soulful vocal and lyrics that speaks of finding that perfect love, it boils down to... At Last by Etta James. :wub:

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

These amonst so many rate at the top of the list for me....

Eddie Parker "But If You Must Go" (the 45 version)

Smokey 007 "Please Don't make me Cry" Birland

Carl Hall "You Don't Know Nothing About Love" Loma

Bill Brandon "Rainbow Road" Tower

Freddie Hughes "I Just Found Out" Janus

Joe Hinton "Don't Tell Her The Truth" ABC Dunhill

Tony Owens "Wishing Waiting Hoping" Soulin

...tis so hard picking a most soulful when you're trying to suround yourself with the most soulful music you can find. the true beauty of it all is there is always something new to hear :thumbsup:

steve

Eddie Parker almost had me in tears :facepalm: when he recorded But If You Must Go. Truly soul felt and delivered.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Soul Bros. Inc. - Pyramid (can't believe that no one have mentioned it yet)

so many of Levi Stubbs who gave me one of my first soul-memories..

Marvin Gayes "where are we going".. everything about this song is so genuine.. just healing for the soul

Frankie & Johnny - "I'll Hold" not the most soulful record ever.. but the part when the guy (Johnny Curtis?) sings "I'll stay" always gives me the shivers

a surprising one is Loveman Ronnie Stokes- "let me touch you again". wow cant describe why, but it does it for me everytime.

and many many more...

Social source share

That is one truly soulful record Lorraine, top drawer it is.

Have been listening to the Fame Studios Story all morning, some great soul amongst that lot :thumbsup:

Hey Chalky, did you get that Fame Studio Story directly from Fame in Muscle Shoals on ebay?

I was looking at some of their stuff for sale, they are flogging a mint James Barnett Keep on Talking issue on ebay at the moment, pity is not a WLP!

Aid.

Social source share

Eddie Parker almost had me in tears :facepalm: when he recorded But If You Must Go. Truly soul felt and delivered.

Lorraine

It had to be top of my list Lorraine! must have been great to hear him recording this :thumbsup:

Has me in tears too! even more so when I think that i'll never be lucky enough to get my hands on a copy! :(

btw Lorraine! there's another record that's up there for me as definitive Soul, that you and Jack Ashford wrote and produced..... Ray Gant's version of "Don't Leave Me Baby" :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bob, can you remember when you, me & the Jones boy sat in a pub all betting who was going to be the 1st one to have a George Freeman, them were the days, FANTASTIC tune, what about George Smith - I've had it & Jack Montgomery - don't turn your back on me, the list could be endless,

ATB...Rob

Social source share

Already given my most soulful ever earlier (Rance Allen) - however seem to remember someone mentioning Freddie Scott 'Hey girl' at the start of the thread - there is a utube clip on this, Freddie does a live televised recentish version (recent as in at least 15 years ago) at some very 'steady' US venue, with old gimmers in the audience (like many of us, though I'm only 43 mind you I hasten to add) - but bloody hell moved me to tears if you take time out, have patience, and listen to the full 4-5 odd mins....

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

It had to be top of my list Lorraine! must have been great to hear him recording this :thumbsup:

Has me in tears too! even more so when I think that i'll never be lucky enough to get my hands on a copy! :(

btw Lorraine! there's another record that's up there for me as definitive Soul, that you and Jack Ashford wrote and produced..... Ray Gant's version of "Don't Leave Me Baby" :thumbsup:

steve

Steve,

Actually, Don't Leave Me Baby was written for and sung first by Eddie Parker. When Ray Gant heard Eddie's , he said he had to sing it. Ray's is more popular and close to Eddie's version. You really need to hear Eddie's. He truly begs!

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Steve,

Actually, Don't Leave Me Baby was written for and sung first by Eddie Parker. When Ray Gant heard Eddie's , he said he had to sing it. Ray's is more popular and close to Eddie's version. You really need to hear Eddie's. He truly begs!

Lorraine

Lorraine, you are right! if Eddie recorded this I need to hear it! :yes:

was Eddie's version every released commercially?

would love to hear Eddie belting this one out! :thumbup:

I suppose you know Maxine Brown also did a version, but no way near the feeling of Ray Gant's imho (much as I adore anything Maxine does!)

steve

Social source share

Lorraine, you are right! if Eddie recorded this I need to hear it! :yes:

was Eddie's version every released commercially?

would love to hear Eddie belting this one out! :thumbup:

I suppose you know Maxine Brown also did a version, but no way near the feeling of Ray Gant's imho (much as I adore anything Maxine does!)

steve

Steve,

Of course I'm right. :yes: I have Eddie's version on tape. I thought it was released. On what label, I can't remember. Triple B Records comes to mind, but I'm not sure at the moment. Leave Me Baby is a big production. It might have been too big for girlfriend Maxine's voice. I wrote it specifically for Eddie and that type of whiskey sounding throat. It takes a certain amount of pleading and begging! One of my favorites.

Have a good one!

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Steve,

Of course I'm right. :yes: I have Eddie's version on tape. I thought it was released. On what label, I can't remember. Triple B Records comes to mind, but I'm not sure at the moment. Leave Me Baby is a big production. It might have been too big for girlfriend Maxine's voice. I wrote it specifically for Eddie and that type of whiskey sounding throat. It takes a certain amount of pleading and begging! One of my favorites.

Have a good one!

Lorraine

Lorraine! would never doubt you! :thumbsup: would love to hear Eddie's version.

The search begins :)

thanx for the replys and info on this great tune

steve

Social source share

3 that tear me up..

Ann Bogus..'Dont Ask Me to Love Again' Statue

I want one by the way if anybody got one for sale!

--------------------------------------------------------------

theFounders..'Dont you Leave Me Baby' Bolivia

---------------------------------------------------------------

Kim Tamango Cant Wait Until Tomorrow Firebird, this is a different version to the one on Funtown records

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!