Chicago

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello,

Would somebody give good advise to clean acetate 45s and 10inches?

lots of dirt on them, i want to avoide any damage.

thank you!

i've never tried but someone told me they used water from the sink and ran it over the grooves while rubbing their fingers into the grooves to get more crap out. I'd imagine an even better way would be to get a soft bristled toothbrush, dip it in water, and scrub. Vacuum on a VPI if you have one, otherwise wipe off with a microfiber cloth.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

This question has plagued collecers since day one,The meathod I use if no cracks and rips are in the outer skin is one or two drops of washing up liquid in very warm water and lightly work with a piece of cotton wool in a clock wise direction .wipe with a dry piece and repeat in an anti clockwise direction dry again and finally another clockwise wipe with clean water.Try to avoid the labels although they seem to be made from a more robust material than normal record label material regards Simon.

Social source share

yeah, basically just warm soapy water & a soft toothbrush if it's dirty/moldy. if the laquer is cracked or damaged/pitted though then there is nothing you can do.

probably you should also rinse it off afterwards if you're using soap or soap will dry in the grooves.

Social source share

yeah, basically just warm soapy water & a soft toothbrush if it's dirty/moldy. if the laquer is cracked or damaged/pitted though then there is nothing you can do.

A friend had some acetates that had some spots of laquer missing. He coated them with regular see-through nail polish and they played afterwards. It's not the most professional of methods but it may save the life of an otherwise unusable acetate.

Social source share

:hatsoff2:

HI ALL. OVER THE YEARS THAT I HAVE COLLECTED RECORDS, Most of the acetates I have come acros have been in a VG condition. as you will be aware, they were made for very limited short life use, the groves are cut into the alloy disk, so they are considered

worthless in the music business world, and most collectors only pick up rare unisued titles and edits,, they are 2 types made, 1 is made for the artist and sound engineer, and the 2 for the A&R dept, never more than 10 are made[,

the only work is wipe with lint free cloth, if a record jumps, use a cocktail stick and free up the grove blockage, never use any liqued on them, by doing that, you will not go wrong? :thumbup:DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert