Van Mccoy & Friends 1976 Album On Sss International Full Of Killers

Ian Dewhirst

Very interesting album this. It appears to have mainly 60's recordings all presumably recorded around the same time as "Sweet And Easy" as well as "Just Another Dress Rehearsal". It looks as though this was a '76 release to cash in on his Disco success but it's got nothing but pure 60's vintage Van McCoy productions on it.

https://www.discogs.com/Van-McCoy-Friends-Dancin/release/1789059

Standout Northern/Crossover vocal tracks are "Help Is On The Way", "What Kind Of Man", "The Woman Who Made Me A Man", "With All My Heart" and "Ain't No Love".

But does anyone have any info on who the vocalists are?

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Used to have this album long time ago. I recall, Christ Bartley sang on some of the tracks.

Yep, that would make sense......

I've only just heard it and I've certainly never seen a copy 'cos I've got just about everything else he's ever done. A mate of mine in the U.S. sent me the files and they knocked me out........

Ian D :D

Social source share

It pops up fairly regularly over here...usually goes for @£50...has a disco looking cover!

I agree with Ian in that it was a cash in on old tapes by the SSS Int folk when Van was making hits.

Searling used to play Dress Rehersal, didn't he?

:thumbup:

Social source share

think my copy is aussie sss international. will have to check the info when i get home...van may have done some vocals himself..certainly recordings from 68/69 with the same sort of material thats on the soul improvisations album from 1970 on buddah with the same vocalist.....as stated the sss lp wasnt issued til 76

dave

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Picked up a spare copy of this album today and gave it a spin, haven't heard it for a few years. I'm pretty sure most of the vocal tracks are Chris Bartley, but for me the best track "What Kind Of Man" almost certainly isn't.

I'm pretty sure it isn't Van McCoy singing as his style is very MOR on most of his records and the only soulful record, "Let Me Down Easy", I have by him has no vocal similarity. So after a bit of investigating I'm leaning towards it being Oscar Weathers who cut a few tracks on Top & Bottom with Van McCoy.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

was just talking about what the hell is the good van mccoy stuff with a mate the other day, it's a running joke & my argument is that maybe there is none, will have to keep this LP quiet hehehehe (of course i dig the early stuff he produced on others, our long running query regards van's solo mid/late 70s stuff)   :wink:

Social source share

It's definitely Van McCoy on vocals on "Dress Rehearsal", "With All My Heart" & "Help Is On The Way" - These are credited to him on his website - I think his voice is very distinctive and can be heard in the background on most of his productions 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!