bobby valetin wanted

'Use it before you loose it' wanted very much indeed!

If anyone has seen one knocking around please let me know by email -

mail@mediumism.com

many thanks!

JAKE

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 50
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I had one

now it's gone

it was nicked

the nasty pr*ck... :-(

...truly sorry for the un-rhymingness of this poem thingy - dreadful I know...

...off topic again...

...I should really start a topic called 'off topic' where we start a topic then immediately go off topic...

..I'm gonna stop saying off topic now...

...in fact I'll stop talking all together...

...this'll be the last you'll hear from me...

...is that a good thing?...

...I'll be in the corner if anyone wants me...

...probably crying...

Social source share

Karen is that really you giving musical advice ???????? Steps back in amazment gasp splutter######

JoT

I can be sensible when I need to be JoT. I heard that at the Dome and loved it straight away, straight on the old dance floor was I.

Maybe I could get some golden toggles after all???? LOL

Social source share

has he done anything else similar , once bought a lp off strength of a review of a track supposed to be as good as but was nowhere near imo

any recommendations

Mike,

There is one other Bobby Valentin 45 which is near to "Use It...". It's "Bad Breath/Love Me So" on Fania (445).

Ady Croasdell played "Bad Breath" in the mid-80s, not long after "Use It Before You Lose It" was uncovered (Gary Rushbrooke played it covered up as Rex Garvin - and it sounds nothing like Sock It To 'Em JB!!). I have no idea what it goes for pricewise; mine came from an American list a few years ago for $10, though I have heard someone estimated around £75 for one - don't know how accurate this is though.

As for the record itself; you wonder how a track all about his girlfriend's halitosis can be a neat latin dancer - but it is!!! On the two occasions I played it at Spinoff earlier this year, it attracted quite a lot of attention and enquiry.

Gene

Social source share

Guest SteveC

'Use it before you loose it' wanted very much indeed!

If anyone has seen one knocking around please let me know by email -

mail@mediumism.com

many thanks!

JAKE

Great sound and not easy to get hold of. Best of luck Jake. Give me a bell if you find 2 ;-)

Social source share

"Young Man With A Horn"???? Guess the title would be changed if it ever had a UK release!!!!

This happened with the story of Bix Beiderbecke. The film was called "Young Man With A Horn" in the States, but even in 1949, the UK decided it was too blue, and renamed it to "Young Man Of Music"!!

Social source share

Glad to hear it is popular with you lot. I have (a copy of) Bad Breath but 'Use It' is something I would love to get. Waiting game I guess. I saw one on ebay last year but the price rocketed at the last minute.

Any more tips on other latin soul winners?

Jake

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Good latinish stuff:

TNT Band "meditation" (Cotique) or Ben & Goodies "meditation" (Tell Him)

*same version, different releases..

Joe Bataan "uptown" (Fania)

Harlow Orch. "horsin' up" (only have it on cd..)

best

Leo

Social source share

uptown great track , 5 mins long init

currently pushing "special girl" by him whenever get the chance , think find its also on same lp "mr new york"

think the harlow orch track is "horsing around" off toh , great mix of tighten up and /the horse

come across it via a nu-yorkican lp comp dont know orig lp/45 anyone?

Social source share

Think that the willingness of the northern scene to embrace "latin soul" was one of its saving factors in the early 1980s. The popularity of Bobby Valentin, Ray Barretto, Joe Bataan, David Coleman etc. bought quite a few young mods on board at the time.

A lot of the Big City type sounds popular at the time utilised Latin percussion, so it was refreshing to hear the earthier sounds of genuine Latin Soul records. Also, tunes like Ray Barretto's "El Watusi" had always been popular over here since their release in the mid-1960s on one scene or another.

I've always loved "Spanish Maiden" by Tony Middleton, but can't really recall hearing anything else quite like it. Does anyone else know of any other records which approximate the collision of something quite so Latin with anything quite so Soulful?

Social source share

right on by ray barretto is a fab choon, played on the mod scene, is it ever played on the soul scene?

It's a bit too manic even in the height of boogaloo down the 100 Club. It was always more of a mod record, if you tried dancing Northern on the drum beat you got your legs in knots.

I used to play a great one called 'You Gotta Love Me' but I can't remember who by or what label, it was more mid tempo and quite soulful. I also revived the old mod classic 'I'm Gonna Make It' by Pete Terrace on Pye Int (UK) and of course 'I Want A Chance For Romance' by Hector Rivera. I still get stick from some of the Stafford purists for going down down the Latin and beat ballad route , even though it all started up there!

Social source share

I've always loved "Spanish Maiden" by Tony Middleton, but can't really recall hearing anything else quite like it. Does anyone else know of any other records which approximate the collision of something quite so Latin with anything quite so Soulful?

Hi Gareth, didn't i put The Terrible Frankie Nieves "True Love" (Speed) on that tape for you ?, if not then it is a great example of Latin Soul/Boogaloo.

yours Brett

Social source share

Also what about the classic "Guachi Guaro" Cal Tjader on Verve, what a fantastic track, age 17 i think i played that 49 times in a row till my mother pulled the plug out of my old Hi-Fi. ?

Social source share

Guest 71TRSC

I couldnt get a copy of Bobby Valentin but I did get a copy of it on a good LP entitled "broasted or fried Latin breakbeats, basslines and boogaloo", hurtlp 025 which has Bobby Valentin on it as well as Hector Rivera, I want a chance for romance plus lots of latin tracks by Joe Bataan and others which is well worth a listen.

Social source share

I used to play a great one called 'You Gotta Love Me' but I can't remember who by or what label, it was more mid tempo and quite soulful.

Sounds like Johnny Colon on Cotique to me. It's a fantastic tune if so.

Love this kind of stuff and couldn't care less whether you could "dance northern" to it or not.

Social source share

Hi Ady - Remember me ? I'm from La Rochelle - France - We've met at last Euro yeye in Spain

Think this Mongo "Hey sister" 45 must be on Fania not Cotique

'bout "Northern under latin influence" 45 there's also of course the great "Sugar" by the Isonics on Kammy

Ah and I have "Spanish Maiden" by Tony Middleton but I still need "Return to spanish harlem" if somebody can help ...

What's that Gene Mc Daniels 45 ? the one on Columbia "Sweet lover no more" or something like that ?

Cheers

Damien

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Another great soul tune with a latin feel is Ron & the Embracers "you came into my heart" on Spectrum, xover latin style and very very good..

best

Leo

Social source share

Hi Ady - Remember me ? I'm from La Rochelle - France - We've met at last Euro yeye in Spain

Think this Mongo "Hey sister" 45 must be on Fania not Cotique

'bout "Northern under latin influence" 45 there's also of course the great "Sugar" by the Isonics on Kammy

Ah and I have "Spanish Maiden" by Tony Middleton but I still need "Return to spanish harlem" if somebody can help ...

What's that Gene Mc Daniels 45 ? the one on Columbia "Sweet lover no more" or something like that ?

Cheers

Damien

Howdy Damien, of course I remember you.

That's the one, an evil tune, Matt loves it.

Ady

Social source share

Yep Great track this Gene Mc Daniels - I've discovered it recently - UK Dj Mark Ellis played it during our recent WE in La Rochelle - I need it too !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!