Please Say It Isn't So!?

Paul-s

Guest Nick Harrison

There is no God!

But to them he is God on the other end of the mic Steve - being Dicky Searling. I can only say this must be one hell of a profit making event for both Kev and Richard.

When you hear RS playing brand new upto date release's on his current radio show and at his own Hilton events, it's kind of very sad when witnessing that footage. :( .

But hey ho !!!!

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Have you not been to Soul In The Sun and watched the 'No-one There' performance? That's one of the reasons we stopped going. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't get it. It's handbagging taken to the extreme in my view.

Soul in the sun looks dreadful...fancy dress nightmare.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

cant veiw this any but descibe what going on? it sounds really cringey, and it seems like just another examlpe of the incresing polaristaion of the scene.

It's for the best you can't see...you know how the soul scene was (and still is in some instances) a cool, exciting and underground scene ever moving forward with the music, well this is the opposite of that!!

It's dark so you can't see but i bet there are a fair few in fancy dress too - Fecking awful! :)

Social source share

They're certainly having fun which is what its all about???

They can go and have fun at their local karaoke night or wherever they want to but this at a "northern" event? This is the very antithesis of what the scene is about.

As mentioned previously can you remember the cool underground scene that we all got into? The one that divs knew nothing about?

Another example of the dilution of things to the lowest common denominator to attract the maximum numbers and therefore maximum profit.

PS I used to think Richard Searling was god :(

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dave nowell

https://www.facebook....150477196859532

Ive not been out in a while BUT is this okey kokey thing for real? Im in shock!

I'm afraid it is.

Doesn't it make you feel proud to be part of the NS scene? :ohmy:

I saw this done to Jimmy Radcliffe at the end of one wkender this year!

It shows the differing crowds that gather for different events.

Thank God for Radcliffe all-nighter this weekend.............. :D

ps

Don't think Soul in the Sun deserves any stick tho...............it is a fun holiday with soul music thrown in.

It doesn't claim to be a serious event (whatever that is these days!).

Edited by dave nowell
Social source share

i started that and thought it was a great idea and everyone seemed to be enjoying it so much we all did a conga all the way to the pleasure beach then had a donkey race on the beach while some couldnt get donkeys so they did piggy backs :yes: they were the days :thumbup:

Social source share

This looks like the final record of the weekender,just a bit of togetherness fun after the completion of a weekends drinking.

In a nut shell ,,, What's the biggest difference between now and then?

Really felt it at Weston this year ... the calibre of dj's did in no way equate to the music played...

These weekends are becoming piss ups first and soul events second...

Really is all about a pound note for the promoters...

Not Newquay I hasten to add .. still retained some dignity... although piss heads in evidence there too.

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

They can go and have fun at their local karaoke night or wherever they want to but this at a "northern" event? This is the very antithesis of what the scene is about.

As mentioned previously can you remember the cool underground scene that we all got into? The one that divs knew nothing about?

Another example of the dilution of things to the lowest common denominator to attract the maximum numbers and therefore maximum profit.

Have to agree with you here...at the the risk of sounding like an old fart.

We live in an age where we celebrate mediocrity and I am afraid it is slowly but relentlessly eroding the scene as it once was

An earlier post hit the nail on the head "cool exciting and underground"..thats how I remember it but to find such atmosphere nowadays is becoming increasingly difficult

I have no objection to anyone finding their enjoyment in whatever way the want but getting their kicks out on the floor like this at a "northerm" event just doesnt gel for me

but like I said perhaps its my age... probably is.

This links I think to another ongoing thread discussing smaller exclusive clubs being the way to go.

Thats it really in a nutshell..erosion of exclusivity...without sounding elitist.

Social source share

Well that sum's up all I was going to say. The nostagia scene reaches a new low.

Social source share

seen less cringeworthy actions at weddings, im just glad that i never had to experience that onmy forst ever experience on the scene, would of gone home looking at me dad thinking we actually had something in common :lol:

Social source share

It's for the best you can't see...you know how the soul scene was (and still is in some instances) a cool, exciting and underground scene ever moving forward with the music, well this is the opposite of that!!

It's dark so you can't see but i bet there are a fair few in fancy dress too - Fecking awful! :)

thats kinda what I assumed, there so many of these punters who go to these events who were only ever on the fringes of the scene if at all in there youth.

Social source share

thats kinda what I assumed, there so many of these punters who go to these events who were only ever on the fringes of the scene if at all in there youth.

Quite a few PROMOTERS as well ive noticed

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Oldies room / R&B room / Crossover room / Freestyle room / Hokey-Cokey room.

...coming to a weekender near you!

...oh and don't forget the fancy dress / face painting room.

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

Not forgetting Rest room for me...if I turn up!

Social source share

A" self deleuded git" room would be well attended

Social source share

'See You Next Year Guy's'........No you f*cking wont, I'd rather drip sulphuric acid down my own japs eye, after first making a bonfire out of my record collection in the back garden.........Northern Soul, what a joke.......Roberts n Searling laughing all the way to the bank..........I'm seriously wondering whether to go ut again.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

that is just about as bad as it can get.

the soul scene has become a parody of itself for many and the rare soul scene needs to completely detatch itself from the circus.

I like having a laught and a few beers but this is not what I would want to travel and pay money for.

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

'See You Next Year Guy's'........No you f*cking wont, I'd rather drip sulphuric acid down my own japs eye, after first making a bonfire out of my record collection in the back garden.........Northern Soul, what a joke.......Roberts n Searling laughing all the way to the bank..........I'm seriously wondering whether to go ut again.

Best Russ

Dont worry Russ mate I am now determined to get that little club of mine!

ATB

ROB

Social source share