Please Say It Isn't So!?

Paul-s

Customers who frequent the Blackpool weekender love it. Those who berate it don't go. So what's the problem here?

Good for them and many more happy returns I say! And why should the profit margins be the business of anyone but the promoters? Do people really think that a promotion of this scale should be without reward? I don't.

I don't believe it makes the 'scene' a laughing stock other than to a small number of complainants here. If it goes further than these few individuals, who is it exactly that also finds it a laughing stock?

maybe its because its on youtube, that goes wayyyyyyyyyyyyy beyond just a few, it there for zillions to see i guess.....

Thank fook there are the number of events and we do have choice.... Thank fooooooooooooooook!

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Customers who frequent the Blackpool weekender love it. Those who berate it don't go. So what's the problem here?

Good for them and many more happy returns I say! And why should the profit margins be the business of anyone but the promoters? Do people really think that a promotion of this scale should be without reward? I don't.

I don't believe it makes the 'scene' a laughing stock other than to a small number of complainants here. If it goes further than these few individuals, who is it exactly that also finds it a laughing stock?

Northern Soul?................... If I tried to explain you just wouldn't understand & that's not me being patronising. I have loved this music for what seems like ever....

.Not knocking hard working promoters making a few quid, what really annoys me is this is how the rare soul scene is portrayed to others, Keep hand bag do's and rare soul separate.

And believe you me it does make the SCENE a laughing stock..

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Absolutely nothing should preclude anyone. BUT what shouldn't happen is the ethos of the scene being diluted to accommodate anyone and everyone.

Here's the door, come on in if you like and enjoy yourself - but this is how it is.

I agree Steve. I was just curious how somebody who is considered to be previously on the fringe of the scene should be excluded from the current day scene, whichever element that is.

The clip can be considered to be embarrasing but I'm not sure it represents anything other than a handful of people (on the face of it ) enjoying themselves at the end of one of the most popular weekenders.

Had that not taken place Blackpool would have been reviewed by the vast majority of people who attend it as nothing more than a huge success as an oldies fest. Nobody would have mocked it, castigated Richard and Kev nor believed it represented the end of Northern Soul as we know it.

Unfortunately that clip now seems to make the two scenes even further apart in their respective ethos.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

We are been too harsh here, i think a carnival atmosphere would be nice, maybe involve some fire eaters, jugglers, magicians etc then switch the mood to a working mens club wedding and have a stand up comedian, a 'meat draw' followed by a game of darts and then end the night with EVERYBODY in attendance doing the conga! You can't complain, i mean as long as everybody is enjoying themselves?

:)

Social source share

The problem for me, is not people enjoying themselves, but the embarrassment of it being called Northern Soul, if it was a pensioners away day weekend, I wouldnt care, its not about the fun, but the fact that someone might think I'm part of that.

If it wasnt without reward they wouldnt be doing it, thats the ONLY reason they do it, dont kid ya self its about the music, its about the dosh & only the dosh.

I think it makes us all look like the kinda people we were desperate not to be when we first got on this scene.....

Hope your well Karen :lol:

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree Steve. I was just curious how somebody who is considered to be previously on the fringe of the scene should be excluded from the current day scene, whichever element that is.

The clip can be considered to be embarrasing but I'm not sure it represents anything other than a handful of people (on the face of it ) enjoying themselves at the end of one of the most popular weekenders.

Had that not taken place Blackpool would have been reviewed by the vast majority of people who attend it as nothing more than a huge success as an oldies fest. Nobody would have mocked it, castigated Richard and Kev nor believed it represented the end of Northern Soul as we know it.

Unfortunately that clip now seems to make the two scenes even further apart in their respective ethos.

Thats because until ya nose is rubbed in it, you dont care...........& that scene has f*ck all to do with me.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Soul in the sun looks dreadful...fancy dress nightmare.

Yes but Soul in the Sun doesnt take itself seriously. Its a holiday for people who like soul music, and states that quite clearly. Fancy dress is once a week, daytime, and is purely for fun. Is dressing up in matching circle skirts and tops and parading around Brid and all the other "pure" events any different? Plenty of evidence of that in the gallery.

I am just off to deliver a lecture on splitting the atom................. hang on I won't cuz I know nothing about it, just like some people who slag things off have never been there in their life. The scene has fragmented, I personally cannot stand "crossover" and therefore dont go to these type of events. What really annoys me is the people who preach about the scene as though it belongs to them. Bullshit it belongs to everybody. Keep the Faith my arse, Share the faith yes please.

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Being at work and unable to view, i'm getting confused...

Is it the hokey cokey... or a conga? There is a difference you know.

I'll give my opinion later. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Being at work and unable to view, i'm getting confused...

Is it the hokey cokey... or a conga? There is a difference you know.

I'll give my opinion later. :thumbsup:

Depends which leg you lead with :wink:
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Seek out the small clubs, run by real soul fans (at a loss usually), with relatively small attendances. That's the true soul scene, and it's brilliant.

Thats what I do but I also like Soul in the Sun and big nighters cuz I will never go to my grave wondering. I love caviar but wouldnt eat it every day.
Social source share

Yes but Soul in the Sun doesnt take itself seriously. Its a holiday for people who like soul music, and states that quite clearly. Fancy dress is once a week, daytime, and is purely for fun. Is dressing up in matching circle skirts and tops and parading around Brid and all the other "pure" events any different? Plenty of evidence of that in the gallery.

I am just off to deliver a lecture on splitting the atom................. hang on I won't cuz I know nothing about it, just like some people who slag things off have never been there in their life. The scene has fragmented, I personally cannot stand "crossover" and therefore dont go to these type of events. What really annoys me is the people who preach about the scene as though it belongs to them. Bullshit it belongs to everybody. Keep the Faith my arse, Share the faith yes please.

Isnt there also a large percentage of people who were never there in their life who have now re-invented themselves and preach about how the soul scens should be--trying to re-live the 3 months they spent backdropping at the youthie

Ive found meself drifting away from the "scene" over the last 2yrs or so

Been asked by plenty why!!!!---well that 2/30 clip explains why better than i ever could

Social source share

Thats what I do but I also like Soul in the Sun and big nighters cuz I will never go to my grave wondering. I love caviar but wouldnt eat it every day.

Good point, well made. I love Brid myself, but I was thinking more about the regular local events. Some are excellent, whilst others, to me at least, are dire. Each to their own, of course, but if you are looking to avoid some of the incidents mentioned in this thread, there are venues out there where it would never happen. Please don't give up on the soul scene because of a few who just don't seem to quite get it.

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Yeh but Caviar is very over-rated and tastes like shit lol

I say old man!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah i spose it does lol, but you get my drift, one man's meat is another man's poison.
Social source share

Thats because until ya nose is rubbed in it, you dont care...........& that scene has f*ck all to do with me.

Russ

But I do care Russ, but not maybe as much as you. The oldies scene (without congas, okey-cokey,fancy dress) doesn't represent any major part of my soul scene but when it does I try and see it for what it is - a nostalgia scene for those people who want to enjoy themselves in whatever way they see appropriate, meet up with old mates, have a few beers and listen to the sounds of their youth.

It doesn't upset me per se to see this scene diluting the ethics of the past scene and the current rare soul scene as I dont want to spend too much energy on the whys and wherefores of our seperate viewpoints. I am glad however that people like yourself and lots of other folk are prepared to stand by those values and continue to push the rare soul scene forward.

On that basis I benefit from this continued policy as and when I attend such events for which I am grateful.

Unfortunately the world view is likely to be predominately skewed by a 2 and a half minute YouTube clip.

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Good point, well made. I love Brid myself, but I was thinking more about the regular local events. Some are excellent, whilst others, to me at least, are dire. Each to their own, of course, but if you are looking to avoid some of the incidents mentioned in this thread, there are venues out there where it would never happen. Please don't give up on the soul scene because of a few who just don't seem to quite get it.

No I would never give it up. You get what you want from the scene, and yes some events large and small are dire. I do attend the small local events, sometimes for the music, sometimes for a social thing, my coin, my choice.
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Isnt there also a large percentage of people who were never there in their life who have now re-invented themselves and preach about how the soul scens should be--trying to re-live the 3 months they spent backdropping at the youthie

Ive found meself drifting away from the "scene" over the last 2yrs or so

Been asked by plenty why!!!!---well that 2/30 clip explains why better than i ever could

Of course there are and those same people will fall by the wayside just as they did to begin with. But you nor I can't stop them from "re-inventing" themselves and I have no wish to. The music wasn't made with a select few purists in mind so we have no right to preclude anyone from the scene. We do however have the right to go where we want to. If the venue, clientele, music isn't for you, just say no.
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

We are been too harsh here, i think a carnival atmosphere would be nice, maybe involve some fire eaters, jugglers, magicians etc then switch the mood to a working mens club wedding and have a stand up comedian, a 'meat draw' followed by a game of darts and then end the night with EVERYBODY in attendance doing the conga! You can't complain, i mean as long as everybody is enjoying themselves?

:)

But why stop at that, we cant let the music stagnate, we must pursue the holy grail of music the rarest of the rare. We could have Jedward singing a Susan Boyle produced version of any old iron, as long as I'm the only one who has it on OVO and we could have 3 of us dancing to it in a phone box (select progressive club no talc or circle skirts or smiling faces). Now thats what I call rare soul volume one. Anyone any idea how much that is worth? Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

to much spiking of drinks me thinks ! and if you ever find whos doing it ...please pass him mine :yes:

Depends what its spiked with---coupla gallon of lawnclear would have gone down well there

Unfortunately it not an isolated incident is it---reading other posts---seeing for meself the "whoops boat thing" done at a soul night---wheres it gonna end

Social source share

i have to put me hands up and admit that i started a "whoops upside ya head" dance once with a row of mates just as Simon Murray started djn :( funny as fook though his face was a picture and everyone was laughing their tits off :D poor fella is still traumatised from it :lol:

Social source share

But why stop at that, we cant let the music stagnate, we must pursue the holy grail of music the rarest of the rare. We could have Jedward singing a Susan Boyle produced version of any old iron, as long as I'm the only one who has it on OVO and we could have 3 of us dancing to it in a phone box (select progressive club no talc or circle skirts or smiling faces). Now thats what I call rare soul volume one. Anyone any idea how much that is worth?

someones tired :lol: i love them phone box events there very compact but az nightmare when someone spills a drink :thumbup:

Social source share

i have to put me hands up and admit that i started a "whoops upside ya head" dance once with a row of mates just as Simon Murray started djn :( funny as fook though his face was a picture and everyone was laughing their tits off :D poor fella is still traumatised from it :lol:

Yep i can see the funny side if its done as such----these f*****s were serious and loving it

Felt like i,d been spiked --with Dulco Ease

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

The okey cokey Has finaly met Nothern soul !!! you watch the Fooker catch on now !! i was hoping to see steve cato amongst the linked arms... :P

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Sorry to folks who are on this and I'm sure they're all having a wonderful time...but to me it makes a farce of the whole thing - Just my opinion...

Len.

Farce of what?
Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Now, if it was just a Conga round the dance floor then around the bar area once then that would be fine, I could just about live with that. But doing the Hokey Cokey is completely unacceptable behavior in a civilized society (unless you are under 10 years old)

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Christ get over yourselves.............had the pleasure of attending one of these earlier events at The Tower some 3 years ago on a day pass, as it replaced the Togetherness weekenders.

It confirmed even back then, as I slowly witnessed that Richard Searling had turned into the new Russ Winstanley at this venue. But then what was even more shocking back then was a well packed Modern/crossover room suddenly emptied during Ujima - Im Not Ready, as nearly 80% in their had fecked off to watch, the World Northern Soul Dancing Championship.

Also a pound for a piss and brush up in the Gents and Ockers was first on in the modern room at teatime at 6.00' clock, poor scheduled timing. And very few places to neck your gear available inside either.

Never returned back to this venue and even IMHO today the line up in Modern/X over room is currently poorly ranked dee jay wise.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Now, if it was just a Conga round the dance floor then around the bar area once then that would be fine, I could just about live with that. But doing the Hokey Cokey is completely unacceptable behavior in a civilized society (unless you are under 10 years old)

now lets knock the conga , as it was one dance we all used to do at the POW-WOW ....shame on you

Social source share

Farce of what?

The Soul Scene that I once knew and loved....I knew I shouldn't have posted...

As I said, just my opinion and nothings gonna change that, no personal offence intended to anyone there, as Russ said if it wasn't called a Northern Soul event, it wouldn't be an issue.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

"POP" music I assume is short for popular music (not being an expert on these things)

Northern Soul is in danger of being so classified if this watering down and dilution of its culture continues.

Just my opinion

Perhaps its time to call the alternative scene something else?.

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

The Soul Scene that I once knew and loved....I knew I shouldn't of posted...

As I said, just my opinion and nothings gonna change that, no personal offence intended to anyone there, as Russ said if it wasn't called a Northern Soul event, it wouldn't be an issue.

All the best,

Len.

No problems mate and yes it is a farce. But NS has changed and evolved and some people take advantage to make a fast buck. Its up to you to see through the wannabes and be true to yourself. Your opinion is as valid as mine and everybody else's. Take no notice and keep on keeping on.
Social source share

But why stop at that, we cant let the music stagnate, we must pursue the holy grail of music the rarest of the rare. We could have Jedward singing a Susan Boyle produced version of any old iron, as long as I'm the only one who has it on OVO and we could have 3 of us dancing to it in a phone box (select progressive club no talc or circle skirts or smiling faces). Now thats what I call rare soul volume one. Anyone any idea how much that is worth?

Thought better of it.....

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Stop being a cock........

Russ

No more of a cock than you saying they are ruining "your" scene, funny that I would love to know whose scene I have been in with thousands of others over the years. Ok you win no more from me if you promise to lighten up baby.
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Oh well, regardless of whats said on here life will go on as Len says, so I'll try & refrain from comments as I end up lowering myself & its not worth the effort.......

Russ

Thats good of you Russ and I'll try to raise myself.
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

awwww!.......lets not end it here ..........awwww bugger :(

Nadh dont do it when it gets personal. Should just leave it to the boys from the Ivory Towers Rare Soul Club (Members Only)
Social source share