Please Say It Isn't So!?

Paul-s

Guest Marky Tee

It wasnt directed at you personally mate, it was a general comment, being passionate about the scene doesnt seem to count for anything these days, just attracts ridicule & the usual crappy Rare comments..........just not worth the bother.

Russ

Russ I wasn't trying to ridicule you or rare music. Everybody strives to find rare music, the very ethos of the NS scene. BUT it has to be good. I dont like how people on here ridicule followers of oldies and therefore I have no intention of ridiculing rare music. You are right and I'm not wrong its what makes the music so bloody marvellous. Its certainly not worth anybody getting p..sed off about. KTF

Mark

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

good luck to roberts and co........nobody ever made money out of quality........you need thick,stupid people who you then massage their ego,sense of nostalga ect ect.........give em a load of tosh/bad product ect ect tell em it,s great...smile a lot,shout wigan a few times in the right places,remind em it,s a way of life THEN TAKE THEIR F**KIN WEDGE!!!......as we say down here.....RESULT!!!....

Social source share

It's a 2 and half minute clip, how can the weekend be judged on that? It's presumably the last record of the night, everybody is going home, is it really so bad?

2+1/2 minutes that the weekend will be judged on.Cringeworthy clip.

Paul S - please dont post these sort of clips again. :lol:

Social source share

'See You Next Year Guy's'........No you f*cking wont, I'd rather drip sulphuric acid down my own japs eye, after first making a bonfire out of my record collection in the back garden.........Northern Soul, what a joke.......Roberts n Searling laughing all the way to the bank..........I'm seriously wondering whether to go ut again.

Best Russ

You forgot the rare scene if up its own arse,dying on its feet,etc as well Russ.If you believe recent threads.This is all the more reason to kick on,go out with a bang.Def going out again Russ - 100 club December?

Northern soul? Not in my name.!!!

Social source share

Northern Soul is about enjoyment, entertainment and a social gathering. Who is in any authority to decide how we behave, react or dance. If enjoyment is the holding of hands after a great weekend then so be it. For God's sake don't be so anally retentive. What's wrong with having a good time. Would you rather the weekend finish in a big kick off with fisticuffs, now how would that come across to those that don't know the scene... a throwback to the 60's mod vs greaser days. Things have progressed. Grow up and stop being "Soul Police". Nobody owns the scene or dictates what happens.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Northern Soul is about enjoyment, entertainment and a social gathering. Who is in any authority to decide how we behave, react or dance. If enjoyment is the holding of hands after a great weekend then so be it. For God's sake don't be so anally retentive. What's wrong with having a good time. Would you rather the weekend finish in a big kick off with fisticuffs, now how would that come across to those that don't know the scene... a throwback to the 60's mod vs greaser days. Things have progressed. Grow up and stop being "Soul Police". Nobody owns the scene or dictates what happens.

How ironic :lol: .

Russ

• Helpful 3
Social source share

sonia and i , attend and support as many venues as we possibly can , weekenders and abroad for our hols, going to three events in a weekend is not unusual , the enjoyment we are repaid at these events cannot be measured . so if i wanna hokey cokey , or hop on one leg , then i will ! . what happened to the old addage at a soul do " it doesnt matter how you dance as long as you enjoy it "

just get out there it wont be around forever .........diddy

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Just some folks enjoying themselves I would have thought, is this a soul police investigation?

:sleep3:

totally agree,looks like they have had a great soul nite with a bit of fun at the end.
Social source share

just told a few of my mates out of the scene to watch this video on youtube :yes: piss taking fookers wondered who wedding i had been to :lol: they laugh enough when i try to explain to them its not all old people wearing flares and dancing like their dad, this has fooked up any explanation i had that the scene isnt just a retro scene but all about the music frusty2.gif ok its only a hokey cokey and so what they are just having a giggle and why not, hope it dont catch on but would be great to see it happen at Burnley or 100 club :thumbup:

Social source share

have you actiually read what you've written there.

Social source share

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Your footer Russ.... How ironic

Sorry not getting this, what has my footer got to do with crass soul events designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, to get the maximum amount of money out of the scene from folk who know no better & think that is what its all about ?.

Best Russ

Social source share

sonia and i , attend and support as many venues as we possibly can , weekenders and abroad for our hols, going to three events in a weekend is not unusual , the enjoyment we are repaid at these events cannot be measured . so if i wanna hokey cokey , or hop on one leg , then i will ! . what happened to the old addage at a soul do " it doesnt matter how you dance as long as you enjoy it "

Good comedy writes itself, I'm sure you guys are lovely & well meaning, but honestly......

Russ

Social source share

Guest BAKUNIN

The scene... if thats what its still called...... is gradually losing its identity.......its soul if you like.

just have to accept it ......?

I for one do not identify the hokey cokey or drinking on the dance floor with creating a soul club atmosphere

Those places are now thing of the past I am sorry to say.

Seems its drink first music second......

Suppose at the end of the day its all about what you want out of the evening.

Is it really all about just having a laugh at a soul do or maybe creating and feeling you are,

,with like minded people, part of something special and dare I say it ..soulful

I could go down the pub if I just wanted a laugh but there was " something more" us old farts are looking for which maybe is just not there anymore.

Perhaps I have reached the end of Nostalgia Road.

Off now to put some sounds on...........and drift

Each to his own and horse for courses and all that.

Social source share

It makes me feel so frustrated that people can get this so wrong & then argue that this is Northern Soul, I feel helpless to be able to say or do anything that might convince people, that this is so far away from what NS was about as to be in another universe......they have been brain washed into beleving this is the 'real deal'...........& we're the ones who have it all wrong, as promoters these guys have got it made..........'And as the 3 before 8 played the Wigan faithful Okey Kokied away on the dance floor.......' :lol: .

I now have to convince myself some how, that the lengths I have to go to sometimes to get my fix are really worth it......maybe it would just be better to let these folk get on with destroying what has been a big part of my life for soooooo many years & just except any real scene is in its last dieing throws, before being lost forever........it makes me sad, how can something so special have come to this.....

I think now I'm really at the stage were the music is king & I can enjoy it in other ways other than as part of a scene.......Dave you were right mate :wink: .

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Seems like some are decrying the ones who dont want to hokey cokey at the end of the night.

Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself,i've been in some states at the end of a night but....no-one can tell me this is retrospective of the NS scene,,OR a progression either.

Tired and emotional - yes.

Social source share

just told a few of my mates out of the scene to watch this video on youtube :yes: piss taking fookers wondered who wedding i had been to :lol: they laugh enough when i try to explain to them its not all old people wearing flares and dancing like their dad, this has fooked up any explanation i had that the scene isnt just a retro scene but all about the music frusty2.gif ok its only a hokey cokey and so what they are just having a giggle and why not, hope it dont catch on but would be great to see it happen at Burnley or 100 club :thumbup:

Most good weddings have a punch up at the end.

Burnley or 100 club next? Nah..fish out of water some of em.

Social source share

Sorry not getting this, what has my footer got to do with crass soul events designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, to get the maximum amount of money out of the scene from folk who know no better & think that is what its all about ?.

Best Russ

Russ,

Not getting into arguements etc but...

Life is short... so enjoy yourself. Music should be enjoyed and appreciated in whatever way an individual or individuals decide to show such appreciation. Forgiveness... then forgive what they have done... maybe they were simply showing their appreciation for a great event. Maybe there are a lot of people who have smiled at what happened so no regrets. I'm not getting into the politics of promoters etc but... Richard and Kev lay an awful lot on the line for the events they promote. There have been many occasions where the good outways the bad. I didn't attend but I would say that the majority of people attending enjoyed themselves. Soul music is about feeling and emotion and, as such, it is expressed in many ways. The coming together of a group of people wanting to enjoy themselves should not be spurned or ridiculed. You have much camararderie in your job, moreso than many other jobs and the forces etc have their own way of bonding, celebrating and enjoying themselves in certain environments and situations. It's no different on Civvy street in a social world. That's not a personal attack. The whole thing is no different to friends hugging and saying goodbye in the middle of the dance floor at the end of a great, social weekend. If they were shagging then that would be a different thing, sorry for being crass, but that's how it is.

Social source share

Guest souldjer 1

treat a dancefloor as a dancefloor.not a walk way

,a place to talk

or ta practice the dark art of okey cokeyness

nail em up i say..

deano

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Go diddy, I saw you in Tenerife hopping and a bopping, wondered what you were doing, now I know lol, see you in april buddy
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

er, oh the grounds thats its difficult to be nostalgic for something you weren't really involved in initially.

But thats true of everybody, YOU werent involved initially neither was I
Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

It makes me feel so frustrated that people can get this so wrong & then argue that this is Northern Soul, I feel helpless to be able to say or do anything that might convince people, that this is so far away from what NS was about as to be in another universe......they have been brain washed into beleving this is the 'real deal'...........& we're the ones who have it all wrong, as promoters these guys have got it made..........'And as the 3 before 8 played the Wigan faithful Okey Kokied away on the dance floor.......' :lol: .

I now have to convince myself some how, that the lengths I have to go to sometimes to get my fix are really worth it......maybe it would just be better to let these folk get on with destroying what has been a big part of my life for soooooo many years & just except any real scene is in its last dieing throws, before being lost forever........it makes me sad, how can something so special have come to this.....

I think now I'm really at the stage were the music is king & I can enjoy it in other ways other than as part of a scene.......Dave you were right mate :wink: .

Russ

How are they destroying it? Did you go to Blackpool or Tenerife. Some of the studio 54 "crossover" stuff similar to what people put on here ( in MY opinion) has done more harm to the name of NS than a few people having a laugh. If you dont like those venues, dont go. I dont like Liverpool or Chelsea so would never go there but I go to watch Wolves. I like FOOTBALL. NO smartarse replies to that last bit, you know what I am trying to say. Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

Russ,

Not getting into arguements etc but...

Life is short... so enjoy yourself. Music should be enjoyed and appreciated in whatever way an individual or individuals decide to show such appreciation. Forgiveness... then forgive what they have done... maybe they were simply showing their appreciation for a great event. Maybe there are a lot of people who have smiled at what happened so no regrets. I'm not getting into the politics of promoters etc but... Richard and Kev lay an awful lot on the line for the events they promote. There have been many occasions where the good outways the bad. I didn't attend but I would say that the majority of people attending enjoyed themselves. Soul music is about feeling and emotion and, as such, it is expressed in many ways. The coming together of a group of people wanting to enjoy themselves should not be spurned or ridiculed. You have much camararderie in your job, moreso than many other jobs and the forces etc have their own way of bonding, celebrating and enjoying themselves in certain environments and situations. It's no different on Civvy street in a social world. That's not a personal attack. The whole thing is no different to friends hugging and saying goodbye in the middle of the dance floor at the end of a great, social weekend. If they were shagging then that would be a different thing, sorry for being crass, but that's how it is.

One of the things that initially appealed to me, about the scene, were the unique cultural traditions the feeling of brotherhood and bonding, being different, the scene has always been exclusive by its very nature, we dont accept everyone or the mainstreams traditions. more than anything, even in the 8ts, when I got into it, the scene was cool as you like and always had been. these people should feel embarassed getting caught at a soul night doing this, save it for for your works office do, I'll say it again, 'your an embarasment', but not as much as the money grabbing btards who sold their dignity and heritage to promote this crap.

I do resent guys who should know better making a living out of it by selling it down the line, get a fookin real job, you too should be ashamed of your selves.

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

There was a name for it in the old days... "DIVS".

Seems to be a lot more of them about now.

But the "DIvs" are not in your scene are they? Do you go to Blackpool or Tenerife Stevie? Or are you advocating no soul unless you go there, your venue, your rules. Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

One of the things that initially appealed to me, about the scene, were the unique cultural traditions the feeling of brotherhood and bonding, being different, the scene has always been exclusive by its very nature, we dont accept everyone or the mainstreams traditions. more than anything, even in the 8ts, when I got into it, the scene was cool as you like and always had been. these people should feel embarassed getting caught at a soul night doing this, save it for for your works office do, I'll say it again, 'your an embarasment', but not as much as the money grabbing btards who sold their dignity and heritage to promote this crap.

I do resent guys who should know better making a living out of it by selling it down the line, get a fookin real job, you too should be ashamed of your selves.

I like this quote!

But there is little bonding these days at all cos its been Phooked up by the wannabe Djs/promoters who were jealous of others trying to keep it going at the time and therefore their were too many nights. If I had gone to this event it probably would have been just to see old friends and reminisce otherwise I had been sitting watching Football with a nice Steak & kidney pie and chips from the Bloomfield Chipshop.

If all the playlists had been put up for the weekend maybe a better judgement could have been made about some of the accusations. What Im pissed off about is the Clip is on Facebook and some of the people taking the piss in their posts are the exact ones who used to complain a few years ago of "Not enough Oldies" at local soul nights. Think the term is "hypocritical"

Social source share

'See You Next Year Guy's'........No you f*cking wont, I'd rather drip sulphuric acid down my own japs eye, after first making a bonfire out of my record collection in the back garden.........Northern Soul, what a joke.......Roberts n Searling laughing all the way to the bank..........I'm seriously wondering whether to go ut again. Best Russ

The South will rise.... :shhh:

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Is it me or is their a hint of hypocrisy in there. I guess you include Mr Roberts in your promoters criticism. The same Mr Roberts who also promotes Kings Hall, the same nighter you include in your footer. So I wonder why you include this reference to attract his punters into your venue? If your music/event doesnt wish to associate itself with these embarrassments why drive in its slipstream? Change wouldnt have these shenanigans in there, but then again doesnt get 1,000 punters in either, free or not. Please note I havent criticised your venue's music choice cuz I happen to like it as well, and long may it reign. And the scene had attracted a lot of embarrasing daytrippers long before you joined it in the 80's Geese Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share